Old December 13, 2003, 20:15   #31
Space05us
King

Local Time: 01:52
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Sega Saturn = Cool! Mr. Bones was an awsome game! so were all of the Virtua Fighter games!
Old December 13, 2003, 20:48   #32
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 14:52
Local Date: November 2, 2010
No ones even mentioned Dreamcast. There were a ton of great games that came out for it and you can pick them up for £5 a game now at highstreet shops clearing out, instead the shitload of sequels you get with PS2 for £45 a pop. Ive seen it around £25 with 3 games and a couple of pads, brand new.

Wow someone else owned a Sega Saturn
Old December 13, 2003, 20:55   #33
Space05us
King

I have a dreamcast and a saturn, sega made cool games its just too bad the sony had to come along and ruin it. oh well, I like the playstation just as much.
Old December 13, 2003, 21:05   #34
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Heathen!

No thats fine i suppose, i havent bought a console since the Saturn so i cant judge, i have 120 odd games for it, no point starting from scratch.
Old December 13, 2003, 23:34   #35
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Local Time: 08:52
DC = one of my all time favorite console.

Soul calibur, Marvel Vs Capcom 2, street fighter alpha 3, street fighter III, virtua tennis, Dead or alive II, etc etc.....
Old December 14, 2003, 01:35   #36
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 09:52
DC introduced me to updated Soul Reaver, so its got a lasting memory for me.

But if (very hypothetical if) I were console shopping, I'd buy Xbox. Fewer games than the PS2, yeah, but it does have better graphics. And there's Xbox live?
Old December 14, 2003, 21:11   #37
ravagon
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 21:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Carolus Rex

Well, let me put it this way. I was under the (false?) impression that PC's were lagging in graphics compared to game consols. Normally I play strategy games, but Medal of Honour opened my eyes to FPSs (i. e. it was one of the first FPSs I really enjoyed).
I always thought PC graphics were supposed to be better, the advantage with consoles being that one could expect a roughly equivalent performance but with less resources?
ie: Substantially better PC specs => still better performance from a PC.
Add in that you can't really modify something on a console, and IMO better PC comes out ahead any day of the week.
I'm not biased against consoles mind you. It's just that I wouldn't touch one with something shaped like a 10 foot pole.
Old December 14, 2003, 21:36   #38
Maquiladora
Emperor

PC's you can hike up the resolution for much better detail and other things, but id have missed out on some excellent console-only games if i stuck to PC.
Old December 14, 2003, 21:52   #39
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBaggins

PC's are absolutely the way to go playing FPS' anyway. No experienced FPS player I know would be caught dead playing MP at TV resolution, no matter how smooth or antialiased it was.

Hi-res monitors, top end gfx cards, plus really good FPS controllers make PC's the platform of choice for FPS'
I know people who had a similar viewpoint, but I can't imagine having more fun that playing, say, Goldeneye with 3 friends drinking some beer. I've played PC FPS games before, I played Quake 2 against my roommate in college so much that I felt the Quake move while closing my eyes. It was fun, great fun. But beyond that, It was boring. I want to see my human opponents. I want to laugh at them when they die, or be ridiculed when walking into an ambush. PC FPS just seem so....cold to me in comparsion to a console multiplayer game. Lan parties you say? What a joke. I have neither the time nor the energy to lug my computer around town for that. Not to mention that my wife would probably not be happy about that!!
Old December 14, 2003, 23:18   #40
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 13:52
Most serious teams on FPS games on the PC use voice coms, like RW for example. So absolutely you can laugh at someone dying.

You need decent res for sniping, incidentally. You're dead awful quick with TV resolution, in all likelihood. Plus controls in general are absolutely unsuited. I'm really fond of Razer Boomslang's for FPS'ing.

In my house we have 5 viable gaming PC's for UT2k3, including a notebook. Three members of a semi regular group bring 3 more notebooks, bringing us up to 8.

4 on 4 is where stuff just starts to be fun... anway, especially with tactical games.

Also, every couple of months there is a regular 8 on 8 LAN party at a local (NYC) Internet Gaming Cafe. Easy to get to for all involved and they're open late... and thats probably the most fun gaming environment for these kinda games, except for the few 60 plus gamer events I've been to.
Old December 14, 2003, 23:33   #41
Space05us
King

there's something about consoles that attract people that wouldn't pay a penny for a "useless" computer. Most of my friends dont play computer games and hate the ones I let them try out on my computer. But you get an X-box/Playstation 2, 4/2 controllers, and a copy of Halo, or a sports game and they all want to play.

Also you cant really enjoy taking turns on a computer. Im quite fond of last Christmas vacation when a friend of mine got me GTA:VC as an early gift. Me, him, and a few other friends just sat on the couch all day long taking turns and cracking jokes about anything and everything.
Old December 14, 2003, 23:44   #42
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

console = very social game. (except rpgs)
PC = either a boring single player experience or competition driven game.

So basically, losers dont see the reason to get console games.
Old December 14, 2003, 23:56   #43
Zero
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBaggins
Most serious teams on FPS games on the PC use voice coms, like RW for example. So absolutely you can laugh at someone dying.
You miss the point. Voice com doesnt give you the same human interaction as seeing them face to face.

Quote:
You need decent res for sniping, incidentally. You're dead awful quick with TV resolution, in all likelihood. Plus controls in general are absolutely unsuited. I'm really fond of Razer Boomslang's for FPS'ing.
Thats horse ****. Ive never had high end PCs but Ive never had problem with dying because of resolution in Q1, Q2, Q3 and CS.

Im no Console FPS player either, but I disagree on controller as well. Goldeneye, Halo players will tell you otherwise. Its called you think its unsuited cause you're not comfortable with it.

Quote:
In my house we have 5 viable gaming PC's for UT2k3, including a notebook. Three members of a semi regular group bring 3 more notebooks, bringing us up to 8.
Thats so much more expensive than an xbox and 4 controller. Not everyone has 5 friggin pcs capable of running UT2k3. (**** I dont have one PC thats capable of running UT2k3)

Quote:
Also, every couple of months there is a regular 8 on 8 LAN party at a local (NYC) Internet Gaming Cafe. Easy to get to for all involved and they're open late... and thats probably the most fun gaming environment for these kinda games, except for the few 60 plus gamer events I've been to.
If you live in NYC, theres quite a bit of activity for console games as well (well at least for fighting games im sure of). Just search for activity in appropriate forums for specific games.