Old April 20, 2001, 08:32   #1
Marko
Prince

Local Time: 06:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Fall Weiss - PREVIEW

This is Civ2 MGE scenario about the beginning of WW2 in Europe.

Nations which are included into the scenario: Germany(+Slovakia), Poland, Soviet Union, Hungary, Rumania, Lithuania, Denmark(+Sweden). Only Germany and Poland are playable (playing as Russia is too easy).

The map (quite big one ) includes all Poland, Lithuania and Slovakia, most of Germany and Austria, some parts of Soviet Union, northern territories of Rumania and Hungary, and southern half of Denmark + a small part of Sweden.

Scenario start from September 1 and end in October 31, 1939. One turn represents 1 day, so there are maximum 61 turns.
Germany and Poland are in war from the beginning. In September 17, Soviet Union join the war, attacking Poland from east.

There will be 3 versions of the scenario: German, Polish and Multiplayer.

In German version you must take all objective cities before the end of the scenario.
In Polish version you must have at least one objective city in the end.
Objective cities are Warszawa, Krakow, Lodz, Poznan, Lvov and Danzig.

UNITS

GENERAL UNITS

Field Fortress
Fortification
Anti-Tank Gun
105mm Gun
AA Gun
Airborne
Armored Car
General
Cavalry
Transport
Destroyer
Cruiser
Battleship
Submarine

GERMANY

Panzer I
Panzer II
Panzer 35(t)
Panzer 38(t)
Panzer III
Panzer IV
SdKfs-10/4
German Infantry
Motocyclists
Me-109
Me-110
Ju-87 Stuka
Hs-123
Do-17
He-111
Ju-88

POLAND

7-TP
TK-3
TKS
Renault FT-17
Vickers 6.0
R-35
Polish infantry
PZL P-11
PZL P-24
PZL P-7
PZL P-37
PZL P-23

SOVIET UNION

T-18
T-26
T-27
T-28
T-35
T-37
T-38
T-40
BT-2
BT-5
BT-7
KV-1
SU-45
Red Infantry
NKVD Troopers
I-15
I-16
R-10
SB-2

I started making this scenario just month ago, so it is too early to speak about release date yet. Maybe somewhere in late Summer...
Old April 20, 2001, 11:40   #2
DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 02:14
The KV-1 did not really enter service until early 1940
Old April 20, 2001, 17:19   #3
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 08:14
I'm very interested...
Perhaps I'll be able to help.
Old April 21, 2001, 01:26   #4
Cal
Prince

Wouldn't the Soviet Union take one of those objective cities? Lvov, maybe?

This sounds like a great idea... I've only known one WWII scenario that included the invasion of Poland as part of the War, focusing on it is quite innovative.

------------------
The strategically impaired,
-Cal
Old April 21, 2001, 02:18   #5
MagyarCrusader

Hey Marko, in case you need any info on Hungary I'm your man. I've got units of Hungarian infantry and their Turan tanks (although they were for ToT scenarios, I think they might fight into the MGE squares). And since Hungary is covered on the map, I insist cities liberated in the Vienna awards be displayed in their original Hungarian tongue. After all, that was the first thing Hungary did when their troops marched in. I know its not really important at all to the scenario, but its just a major pet peeve of mine to see other WW2 scenario creators name cities like 'Cluj' instead of 'Kolozsvár', 'Oradea' instead of 'Nagyvárad', 'Kosice' instead of 'Kassa', and 'Novi Sad' instead of Újvidék'. Not really your guys' fault, but I consider it insulting that Slovakia, Serbia and Romania seem to think that the names of cities founded and named by Hungarians are a threat to their national unity so they must change them (and rewrite history while they are at it). Then it affects the historical accuracy of scenario makers who don't have access to maps of the region during their scenario time periods.

------------------
"The Rumanians are really the most reliable people in the world when it comes to depending upon their breaking any promises they make." - General Harry Hill Bandholtz, US Army, 22 NOV 1919. General Bandholtz was the one who saved the Crown Jewels from the Rumanians. His statue sits in front of the American Embassy in Budapest.
Truth

Old May 1, 2001, 20:35   #6
Roman
King

quote:

Originally posted by MagyarCrusader on 04-21-2001 02:18 AM
And since Hungary is covered on the map, I insist cities liberated in the Vienna awards be displayed in their original Hungarian tongue. After all, that was the first thing Hungary did when their troops marched in.

Sure not a bad idea, but I don't know how you would change the names of the cities when they are captured by the Hungarians. Maybe it could be done through the events file, but I am not sure on that one.

quote:

Not really your guys' fault, but I consider it insulting that Slovakia, Serbia and Romania seem to think that the names of cities founded and named by Hungarians are a threat to their national unity so they must change them (and rewrite history while they are at it).

You just caused an international incident.

No, really, I am going to refrain from commenting on this in the interest of civility on these forums.
Old May 2, 2001, 00:00   #7
MagyarCrusader

Marko stated the scenario starts in 1939, the First Vienna Award was 1938, so the city names would have to be in the proper, true, original form if he wanted it to be accurate. There would be no Hungarian army marching into territory that is 90% magyar and raping and pillaging the slovak neighborhoods in the name of justice, but that would make an exciting scenario wouldn't it?

------------------
"The Rumanians are really the most reliable people in the world when it comes to depending upon their breaking any promises they make." - General Harry Hill Bandholtz, US Army, 22 NOV 1919. General Bandholtz was the one who saved the Crown Jewels from the Rumanians. His statue sits in front of the American Embassy in Budapest.
Truth

Old May 2, 2001, 16:57   #8
MagyarCrusader

Hi Henrik-
I'd be happy to answer your questions. First off, the Hungarian names I supplemented were also the names of the cities back then, and for the most part the entire history of Hungary. However, during the years of Turkish occupation, I believe there is a slight variation in the names of cities administered under the Principality of Transylvania. What is today Oradea, historically, Nagyvárad, but on a map I have during this period it is labled just 'Várad'. Same thing with today's Sibiu, which historically was 'Nagyszeben', but on my map it is 'Szeben'. Those are the only significant cities I think that had different names from 1526-1686. I believe that Kolozsvár (now Cluj) was the capital of Transylvania during this period, because it was the capital of this province while the Kingdom of Hungary was intact. However, I could be mistaken since at this point the kingdom is divided into 3 parts, and the Székely Hungarians took power in Transylvania. I have heard that Marosvásárhely (now Tîrgu-Mures) was the Székely capital. If you have room on your map, I would highly suggest having both cities, but if Kolozsvár really isn't the capital I don't think anyone will know.

I also believe that Belgrade was still called Nándorfehévár, at least according to my map.

------------------
Truth

Old May 3, 2001, 00:31   #9
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 07:14
quote:

Originally posted by MagyarCrusader on 04-21-2001 02:18 AM
Hey Marko, in case you need any info on Hungary I'm your man. I've got units of Hungarian infantry and their Turan tanks (although they were for ToT scenarios, I think they might fight into the MGE squares). And since Hungary is covered on the map, I insist cities liberated in the Vienna awards be displayed in their original Hungarian tongue. After all, that was the first thing Hungary did when their troops marched in. I know its not really important at all to the scenario, but its just a major pet peeve of mine to see other WW2 scenario creators name cities like 'Cluj' instead of 'Kolozsvár', 'Oradea' instead of 'Nagyvárad', 'Kosice' instead of 'Kassa', and 'Novi Sad' instead of Újvidék'. Not really your guys' fault, but I consider it insulting that Slovakia, Serbia and Romania seem to think that the names of cities founded and named by Hungarians are a threat to their national unity so they must change them (and rewrite history while they are at it). Then it affects the historical accuracy of scenario makers who don't have access to maps of the region during their scenario time periods.

I am including some of these towns in the scenario I am making right now, do you know what they where called during the 1650's?
And which city should be the capital of Transylvania?