Old September 19, 2002, 17:30   #1
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

Local Time: 14:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
AU 106: I've got those lonesome blues...
After complaints from the AI about human aggression, you have been banished to a small island until such time as you can learn to play with the other civs in a nice way. Hah!

Settings: large map, 80% water, 5 billion years, restless barbarian, 9 civs (8 plus you), other settings standard.

Special rules: galleys and caravels don't become available until Navigation, so there is no travel off your island until either Navigation or Magnetism is discovered. The Great Lighthouse can be built once you have Integrated Defense, but becomes obsolete with Magnetism.

You have the choice of playing either Persia or Rome (I wanted to see how scientific did vs commercial in this kind of game). Any difficulty level is allowed, but since this meant to be hard, Emperor is suggested.

Attatched is a zip file (AU106.zip) containing 2 bic files: AU106norm.bic, which is the standard rules (with the alterations mentioned above) and AU106mod.bic, which is the AU mod rule set.

The other civs are in varying degrees of contact. Some are alone, some are in small groups. Will they work together for faster tech, or wipe out the weaker ones?

For anyone playing Emperor (or above) there is a gold star if you are within 5 techs of the first group of civs you make contact with.

Spoiler thread and non-spoiler discussion thread to be started in due course (by the first person who has something to say).

Hopefully there are no problems with the bics....

EDIT: forgot to mention that all victory conditions are on. Rival civs are placed by hand rather than randomly, but not according to any cunning master plan.
Attached Files:
File Type: zip au106.zip (77.2 KB, 146 views)

Last edited by vulture; September 19, 2002 at 17:40.
Old September 19, 2002, 18:13   #2
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 06:59
Perfect timing . . . before the weekend . . . how early can I sneak out of work tomorrow . . .
Old September 20, 2002, 13:00   #3
vulture
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Mohammed Al-SahafC4DG Gathering Storm
King

One extra note: I forgot to remove all the AU mod spiel from the non-mod bic. So the AU mod bic announces that it is AU mod version 1.03, with a short paragraph of test describing the mod. The standard rules version has the title line describing it as AU mod version 1.03 (which it isn't) but no paragraph of text underneath that.

Just to be confusing.
Old September 23, 2002, 15:06   #4
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 09:59
I'm not sure I can handle this game. It would be too traumatic. I had the lonesome blues for two and a half weeks, isolated on an island in the middle of the Pacific, WITHOUT CIV OR POLY!!! I'm not sure it would be good for my mental health to bring back that feeling so soon after that shock.
Old September 23, 2002, 16:21   #5
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Welcome back!!

(poor widdle alexman got stuck in a tropical paradise... gimme a break! )

Try 106... it's different but fun.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 23, 2002, 18:30   #6
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 06:59
I hear the sound of the world's smallest violin playing mournfully.

Welcome back!
Old September 24, 2002, 06:44   #7
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Welcome back alexman. You should try this one, it's very nice.

To all: As this game was fun, but not much of a challenge, what about replaying a similar game with "ironman" settings: No vessels whatsoever for the human player's civ. Just disable the opportunity to build them in the editor.

That means, pure research and trade for techs and resources. No intercontinental invasions, even in the industrial and modern age. No opportunity to make contact ourselves. No own horses, oil, aluminium, uranium (offensive units, spaceship parts), but guaranteed iron+coal (RR's), saltpeter+rubber (defense units).

As there's no need to do own exploring, a hand made map will be no problem, even for the creator. What do you think?
Old September 24, 2002, 09:59   #8
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 05:59
Sounds like an good idea for the AU que. I believe 107 will be total war (say no peace treaties!), but I haven't heard anything about 108 yet. I was a fun change to get to play builder again
Old September 24, 2002, 12:12   #9
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Hello all,

I'm just back from a summer away from a computer, and consequently away from Civ3 (gasp!). I would just like to say that I'm very impressed with the Civ3 community here at Apolyton. The AU (especially the idea of shared games) is fantastic. I've begun 106 and can't wait to compare notes with all the other students!

Great job guys and girls (you know who you are...)

Dominae

P.S: Are there any plans to revise the AU MOD? I like most of the changes, but can't say agree with some others. Are you all satisfied with the new rules, or some things simply not working out?
Old September 24, 2002, 12:25   #10
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Thanks guys, nice to be back. Really, I mean it!
I started AU106 too.

Welcome back Dominae. From your last posts before you vanished I was afraid you got sick of civ3. The AU MOD rules are certainly not frozen. Feel free to post suggestions here.
Old September 24, 2002, 13:39   #11
Dominae
Emperor

Heh, alexman, I can see why you thought I "quit" Civ3. After all is said and done though, Civ3 is the best (if not only) computer game out there that is actually intellectually challenging. That's enough to keep it on my hard drive for years to come.

I will post my (minor) comments on the AU MOD sometime soon. Nice to see it's an open forum.

Dominae
Old September 24, 2002, 15:36   #12
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Welcome back too, Dominae!!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old September 24, 2002, 15:57   #13
Dominae
Emperor

Thanks Theseus! I've been catching up on my Civ3 reading here on Apolyton, and I must say: you've been busy!

Dominae
Old September 24, 2002, 16:12   #14
Theseus
Emperor

Uhhh... obsessive / compulsive is more like it.

More to come, actually. I'm hatching a grand theory of Civ3 strategy (tease tease): "Seven Pillars of Wisdom."