Old September 1, 2002, 01:29   #1
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 09:59
Local Date: November 2, 2010
AU 105: The Power of Gold
From the golden hills of your homeland you shall rise, and enrich the world with your culture. Let the Golden Age of Egypt be forever remembered as the Golden Age of humankind!

Welcome to another class at Apolyton University. This time, the goals are less specific and the map is less specialized. Maximize your Golden Age and show how it leads to the win. A military Golden Age trigger is allowed, but a trigger by Great Wonders is encouraged. Golden Ages with the Ironworks in place are to be admired! All victory conditions are acceptable.

The map, resources, and starting locations were randomly generated, with minor tweaks to make the game strategically more interesting.

There will be three threads for this class. This first thread is for downloading the game and for discussion safe for anyone that doesn't yet want to read any spoilers. The second thread is where we will post our stories, adventures, screenshots, and analyze our games. The third thread is where we will post tips and lessons learned from this map for new players.

The attached zip file contains two bic files. Both files are scenarios with the same map, but one has standard rules and the other has AU mod rules. Chose the version that you prefer, and start the game as a scenario. You can play at any difficulty, but for game comparison purposes it is recomended that you chose Regent or Monarch.

Use the power of gold wisely!
Attached Files:
File Type: zip au 105.zip (47.8 KB, 186 views)

Last edited by alexman; September 3, 2002 at 00:05.
Old September 1, 2002, 11:33   #2
Objectivist
Chieftain

Local Time: 13:59
You should really list the AU mod rules for the convience of those just entering the forum. Having to go through several pages of threads might put people off from playing the game. I would also have picked on version of the game to play, having two versions might lead to arguments over w hich player actually did better because of rule differences.
Old September 1, 2002, 15:37   #3
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 07:59
Quote:
Originally posted by Objectivist
I would also have picked on version of the game to play, having two versions might lead to arguments over which player actually did better because of rule differences.
Apolyton University isn't really about competition. Rather, it is intended as a way for us to learn from each other, and for less experienced players to pick up ideas from those of us who are more experienced. Further, the goals of each game are generally defined in terms of something other than just trying to win as quickly as possible or score as high as possible.

One of my most interesting GAs ever came as the Americans when I didn't get my GA until the modern age with offshore platforms in place. Talk about productive! That was one nation that could really churn out modern armor! In another game, I was playing the Germans and got my GA with panzers WHILE I WAS MOBILIZED. Somewhere around nine of my cities were churning out a panzer a turn, and the French, whose invasion of my territory decided the final timing of my GA, did NOT like the results.

On Monarch level, good players might have to deliberately delay their victory to do something like that with their GA. Yet because the goal of this "class" is to do interesting and powerful things with one's GA, such an approach would be entirely legitimate and reasonable. Certainly we want to do well, but competition takes a back seat to other considerations.

Further, when the goal is to learn, it makes perfect sense to have players learn under whichever rules set they prefer to use. After all, if you prefer one set of rules but get pushed into using a different set, the lessons you learn might or might not fit a game under the rules you prefer. Indeed, having some people play with the mod and others without might even help provide a better feel for how the mod affects gameplay, which itself would add value to the University as a place of learning.

Nathan
Old September 1, 2002, 16:19   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Nathan, very well said.

I couldn't care less about scores... I like seeing / learning new approaches, techniques, ideas, strategies, etc.

And I very much like how alexman set thi up, as a scenario, so that we get a cross-section of stock and mod games along a spectrum of difficulties. In fact, one of the starting points for the AU Mod was to try to generate stronger AI civ oppenents ("killers"), so Nathan is right, this approach allows for that.

BTW, Objectivist (and anyone else who wants to at least consider the modded version), alexman put a link to the AU Mod thread in the last paragraph of the opening post. The first post in the thread has been edited, and the rules described are fully updated (v 1.03). Good job, alexman, on both the mod and this course!

I've started playing, and there's an interesting challenge...

(how's that for a non-spoiler teaser?)

Good luck everybody!!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old September 1, 2002, 20:22   #5
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

We've got another thread going for hints and tips, BUT, a piece of advice for the newer players:

As your setting up the game, pay attention! Look at the win types, the opponents, etc.

Think!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old September 5, 2002, 00:03   #6
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Let me give this thread a bump using my last Apolyton post as a bachelor!

See you guys in about two and a half weeks. I'm looking forward to reading your AARs when I return.

Someone please take good notes in AU class so I can copy them when I get back, OK?
Old September 5, 2002, 00:49   #7
Theseus
Emperor

Have a great time!!!!

Great job with this one... I already know what's gonna happen: contrary to your new bride's belief, the majority of your beach time will be spent dreaming up new and dastardly challenges ("Honey, I'm taking a nap").

Congrats!

Old November 15, 2002, 15:37   #8
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 07:59
If anyone who doesn't have PtW and hasn't played this yet wants to, you can consider this the non-PtW version of AU 205.

Nathan