Old August 21, 2001, 02:12   #91
Colwyn
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Prince

Local Time: 16:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
I was told it wouldn't be till early next year, though with the release of Civilisation 3 before christmas I'd encourage it to be finished sooner so that people can enjoy it before thay consider civ2 scenario's outdated.

But you never know Civ3 AI may not be as good, who knows.
Old August 21, 2001, 12:45   #92
klesh
King

Local Time: 02:15
slow but sure...
Hey guys,

Its comming along well. Slow but sure. I have been hooked on playing Panzer Elite with the newly released snow/light mod. Very very cool.

I'm not sure where you heard that it'll be out by early next year... I don't think I've told anyone that...

I have been in discussion with the 'L337 Stalingrad Development Team' and we have been comming up with some genuinely cool ideas. For me, it is very much worth it to postpone releasing it in order to make it what I want it to be. This whole time I have been shooting for making a real good scenario, and nothing is going to hinder that main goal.

I'm not really concerned if kids will be all hepped up on Civ3 or not. I still play RF ya know... good games stand the test of time (no pun intended)!

The trick is to make this 'battle-only' scenario fun. I mean, most of us play civ for the empire development.. which is totally nonexistant here, so there needs to be many things to keep the player going and keep his/her interest.

So it really depends on how much i can get myself into it and how long I can stay in the Civ mode. I tend to burn myself out after a few days of steady work. I have my last semester of University comming up this fall, so I would like to get a goodly sized chunk of it done before i am in classes. I still am not going to commit to a date though...sorry fellas.

Just keep the faith... If you build it, they will play...

Thanks,
FMK
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	title.gif
Views:	140
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	1928  
Old August 21, 2001, 15:23   #93
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 01:15
I'll still be waiting Klesh, no matter how long it takes
Old August 21, 2001, 23:27   #94
Cavalcadeus
Warlord

Local Time: 01:15
I shall also wait. Civ2 will remain on my computer for a long time. Hell, I still have Civ1 on my computer.
Old August 22, 2001, 01:46   #95
Jimmywax
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 00:15
I predict ....
I too will wait. I believe that our expectations for civ3 will be so high that there is no way that it will ever be able to live up to them. This will lead to many gamers having a meltdown and staring vacantly at their monitors they will start to wonder where their $50 went. Those of "US" who survive will thus become stronger and like the swallows to Capistrano, we shall return to Civ2.

Then again I might be wrong and Civ3 will blow all of our minds.
Old August 22, 2001, 19:02   #96
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

$50 for a new game?

*mutters about the crappy Australian dollar*
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old August 23, 2001, 00:19   #97
Jimmywax
Prince

How much does a game cost down under?
Old August 23, 2001, 01:24   #98
Colwyn
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Prince

B/w $50 and $99 Australia Dollars depending on the game and the store, places like EB sell new releases often at $89.95 which is basically $40 dollars US

I personally think the scene are asking too much for games and considering Video stores now rent them for $5 a night, pirating of them is rampant.

I often hire them first to see if its worth buying and of course the templation to pirate it and save $50 is also there.

I know for $50, getting entertainment often for 100 hours+ is great value no really it is, but i've often bought a game and played it once coz I didn't like it.

If say they were $20 US each I'd buy many more games rather than ones I specifically want and for that amount, pirating it then is no huge great advantage.
Old August 23, 2001, 02:12   #99
Jimmywax
Prince

Here games are usually somewhere between $39.95 and $50 US. It usually depends where you buy them and how badly you want the game. If you have to have it as soon as it comes out you will pay the premium. If you can wait a couple weeks for some reviews or word of mouth, then sometimes you can get it for a bit less and then there might be a sale or rebate for $10 or $20.
Old August 23, 2001, 04:33   #100
Case
Emperor

Being a poor student, I normally wait until the game is over 6 months old and then buy it second hand. (that, or burn a copy off a friend )
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
Old August 23, 2001, 22:27   #101
klesh
King

Though this won't be the 'Enemy at the Gates' scenario...
NEWS FLASH!!!

The vaunted Soviet Sniper that a few people have been nagging me about including will, in fact, be included in Stalingrad.
Take a look for yourself...

I think it looks really sharp, 'cause it blends in nicely with the building terrain around it.

FMK.
Attached Images:

Old August 24, 2001, 00:19   #102
klesh
King

How 'bout your imput?
Hi again fellas,

I have a question for you guys. I have 1 or possibly 2 units slots left, and I have pretty much all of the things I wanted to include.
Do you guys have any suggestions as to what you'd like to see as far as a Stalingradish unit?

Thanks,
-FMK.
Old August 24, 2001, 02:35   #103
klesh
King

Make that one slot left... I've been busy!
Well, I gave in...
What Stalingrad scenario would be complete without a dualing of snipers. Though this will not be central to the scen, it will be included... And here is our Mr. SS Sniper:

-FMK.
Attached Images:

Old August 24, 2001, 05:22   #104
Grothgar
Prince

Local Time: 06:15
Well i was actually going to say two special characters on the stalingrad battle. A film was based on them (damn cant remember!!!) and it was of two russian snipers but you have them already. It will look quite good to move a bunch of barrels around lol. One unit slot hey. How about a HQ unit. just for accuracy

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"
Old August 24, 2001, 05:26   #105
Grothgar
Prince

By the way a little question. Why is the soviet sniper dressed in British army regulation gear?

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"
Old August 24, 2001, 06:49   #106
Case
Emperor

If you haven't included 'punishment battalians' then I strongly recomend that you include them for both sides.

Also, large numbers of Soviet trainee pilots were drafted into the infantry and sent to Stalingrad. It could be worth having these as a unit as an indication of just how desperate the Soviets were.

You could also include a barbarian, destroyed after attacking unit to represent 'friendly fire'
Old August 24, 2001, 12:08   #107
klesh
King

Well, I have a Penal Batalion for the Soviets. It is dressed in a prison outfit and has a Molotov and Submachinegun. They got the suicide jobs of closing gaps with suicidal counterattacks.

British regulation gear huh? Well, let's just say it was in style back then! Honestly, what, in that small little bit of uni could I make more Soviet looking? I chnged the helmet/head to a soviet one, but maybe a color change of the brown to greenish?

I also have a commandpost type unit, though it functions differently. The actual commandposts to be attacked are 'cities'.

-FMK.
Old August 24, 2001, 13:17   #108
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 07:15
Well, allied equipment received was often given to Snipers as they where considered to be much better than the average soldier, the soviet soldiers almost worshipped thier snipers, and every young soldier wanted to be one, so I think it isnt totaly unrealistic to give them allied uniforms, another step would be to have officers drive around in american jeeps, which where considered to be much better than the russian ones.
Old August 24, 2001, 14:47   #109
Grothgar
Prince

Well the soviet snipers urban uniform of that period was a mostly black uniform but with jagged grey streaks at various points. and there was no actual set pattern they made each uniform slightly different to try and confuse people looking out for snipers. so there was about 1000 different types of uniform made for snipers before they realised that that was enough. also a sniper never wore the same type of uniform twice in a row.

It is intresting to note that because of the uniform being black and grey quite a few russian snipers were shot by their countrymen/women because they thought that they were thw SS i wonder if you could represent this................................

Old August 25, 2001, 02:02   #110
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

*Henrik bows in respect of Grotghar's superior knowledge on snipers*
Old August 25, 2001, 17:13   #111
Grothgar
Prince

Well if anyone else would have said it in that detail i would have called them anally retentive but thanx

Old August 25, 2001, 17:47   #112
Paul Hanson
King

It worrys me that you know that, Gary.
Old August 25, 2001, 18:08   #113
Grothgar
Prince

How so paul? You know i love WW2 and everything associated with it. but i must admit it scares me sometimes

Old August 27, 2001, 14:47   #114
klesh
King

No time for praying!..... FIGHT!!!
I am having trouble with the AI cities building things they shouldn't be able to. They are given the ability to build only 'capitalization' renamed... but they end up with temples and things which aren't available at all. Any ideas?

Thanks,
-FMK.
Old August 27, 2001, 16:19   #115
Grothgar
Prince

It could be that they were building the said things before you edited the techs etc. So you might just have to go into the cities and change their build to capitalization

Old August 28, 2001, 08:24   #116
klesh
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Grothgar
It could be that they were building the said things before you edited the techs etc. So you might just have to go into the cities and change their build to capitalization
Yes, i have done this. For some reason my testers are telling me that the Soviets are building temples etc, while all they are allowed to build is "Decisive Victory" which is Capitalization. I have an idea to solve the problem, but it is something I'd rather not do. So if anyone has had this experience before, how you were able to solve it would be great.

Thanks,
-FMK.
Old August 28, 2001, 09:18   #117
Henrik
Emperor

Welll, they are not only building improvements, they are building improvements allready built (first they build a temple and then they continue to do so, despite the fact that it allready exists) give them the ability to build the basic russian infantry and the problem will be solved.
The AI "re"-builds improvements only if it hasnt acces to a defence unit.
Old August 28, 2001, 11:38   #118
klesh
King

@DEBUG?
Does the @DEBUG thing work for you guys? I just wrote a crapload of events, all seemingly correct. Alas, there is a bug in there which shuts her down. I have tried adding the line in the events, but i have never seen any kind of prompt telling me how far the events go before they fail.

And yes, I have a solution for that stuff up there Henrik.

Thanks,
-FMK.
Old August 28, 2001, 11:44   #119
Paul Hanson
King

I think this is the same problem that Nemo had with Second Front. The problem can probably be solved in the same way that Henrik described, hence the German POW units in Second Front.
Old August 28, 2001, 20:42   #120
klesh
King

Okay lemme figure this out. I have a thing to let me fiddle with gifs so let's see if this works...

[Edit] nope

Last edited by klesh; August 28, 2001 at 20:51.