View Poll Results: How do you think the AUSG is doing?
Excellent! 4 36.36%
Good! 6 54.55%
Satisfactory! 0 0%
Poorly! 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 11, 2003, 00:28   #1
Tassadar500
Emperor

Local Time: 07:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
How do you like the AUSG?
In your opinion how do you think the AUSG is going? Please post your answer and give a reason as well.
Old October 11, 2003, 01:10   #2
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Pretty good so far, but I still feel I made the scenario too easy. I do hope more of the players on the teams come back to it though or it won't last too much longer. Less than half of the players submitted savegames for turn block 4.
Old October 11, 2003, 01:32   #3
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:07
Actually the easy map makes it easier to actually use the different styles to the max. The more difficult, the more narrow your overall strategy becomes, this map is perfect IMO for what the AUSG was intended for.

I also sense interest is waning since less people are posting, I hope this tendency is reversed. I for one are having a lot of fun with it.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old October 11, 2003, 01:37   #4
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Someone voted poorly. Any reasons? I'd like to make it better if we can.
Old October 11, 2003, 01:39   #5
Tassadar500
Emperor

It was probably some loser who just wanted to vote that to bug us.
Old October 11, 2003, 02:06   #6
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 10:07
Well a few things may have contributed to the falling off.
1) problems with the site
2) people not able to do as well as some
3) limiting it to three times in a row
4) it is not easy topick up and start anew using a strange game

I see most of the ones not posting or voting are the ones that have not been picked. I do not know if that is a prolem or just a coincidence.
I have not let that bother me as I knew all along I do not play in a style that would work well with the goals.

This may be a coincidence as well. I think the idea was to let someone else have a shot, but I never understood why anyone should not be rewarded for excellence.

I think this is actually useful, but that does not lessen its unattractiveness.

Anyway that is my 2 cents.

BTW I think the AU is doing fine and will have several different strategies (game formats).

I would have like to have seen more players join in that were playing at lower levels. That is what I thought the relative low level (for most players) would do. I thought some of the regent players would jump in for a swim and a change to see how people like Dom/Alexman and so many others do it. I am afraid they were intimidated or maybe just busy.
I mentioned those two as they are not just good players, but make a very strong effort to put up comprehension DAR's. That is what should be of use to the new comers to the level.
If they are lurking, they should at least make a post to let Roth know.
Old October 11, 2003, 02:40   #7
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:07
I think #1 was the one that hurt this round particularly hard but I do agree that the others also influence though I don't see why they should (hasn't kept me and many others from not playing).

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old October 11, 2003, 03:09   #8
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
Well a few things may have contributed to the falling off.
1) problems with the site
2) people not able to do as well as some
3) limiting it to three times in a row
4) it is not easy topick up and start anew using a strange game
If #2 is the reason (which I hope it's not) then it's the opposite of why I was hoping Dominae and alexman and the other "greybeards" would play. The way I bettered my game from barely competing on regent to now able to beat emperor fairly regularly was reading their posts and DARs and seeing what I did wrong. Even the Immortal Storm AAR I recently posted there are a lot of things I could have done better with (didn't micromanage my work force too much, got lazy and only concentrated on the CavalRumble(tm) after the game was pretty much decided, etc.)

As to #3, I agree it is a little bit discouraging for excellence, but I was also trying to ENcourage newer players.

For #4, I agree it is a bit weird. Sort of like trying to get back into a democracy game after not paying much attention for a while (PTWDGII ).

Thanks vmxa1 and Master Zen for your input. And thanks NM for starting this thread. Hopefully we can make all the AU games better than they are now...and they're already pretty good.
Old October 11, 2003, 07:47   #9
Hueij
Emperor

Local Time: 16:07
Quote:
If they are lurking, they should at least make a post to let Roth know.
Okay, guilty as charged

I don't have the time anymore to play a full game of Civ but reading the DARs is almost as much fun
Old October 12, 2003, 03:49   #10
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:07
With various democracy games and a simultaneous AU game, the extra time (and confusion) commitment required for the SG may have had an impact.

I liked was the idea of different paths, and have enjoyed the comparisons of different openings by different teams and individuals. It may be that the most valuable stage of the exercise is the early game, as that sets the direction. Later play when the game is a forgone conclusion may not be necessary - Alexman has already calculated the probable SS launch date!
Old October 12, 2003, 04:24   #11
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

The most valuable stage is the beginning game IMHO. That's the make or break part of the game. The nice thing is that was the area that received the most participation in the AUSG.

Last edited by Rhothaerill; October 12, 2003 at 04:30.