Old October 3, 2003, 23:13   #1
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 07:07
Local Date: November 2, 2010
AU210 - UN Peacekeepers DAR 5 – End of industrial age
Use this space to comment on your game in the interval between the end of DAR 4 and the end of the industrial age.
Old October 9, 2003, 23:49   #2
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 08:07
The industrial era went a bit slower than it usually does for me because of my pacifist ways (and hence relatively small civ size). I got into a war with Japan when they demanded a tech and I wouldn't give it, and then Japan signed an embargo against me with Germany. (Fortunately, Germany didn't have anything I especially needed.) I put a leader from the war on standby to build the Hoover Dam A while later, Germany decided to join in the fun against me. Big mistake. I persuaded Japan to make peace and then bribed them to join me in the war against Germany, thereby breaking the embargo. That left me free to focus on the Germans.

Since I allowed Spain to die, I felt honor bound to capture Madrid from the Germans, and I took Toledo (southeast of Madrid) along the way. In the meantime, the Mongols managed to get in a simultaneous war with several civs, including the Ottomans. When more than a dozen sipahi showed up near Madrid, probably heading for the northernmost Mongol city (far away from the Mongol core), I decided to bribe the Ottomans to send their forces after Germany instead. That started keeping Germany busy.

During the course of the war, I've had Japanese, Roman, and Babylonian troops start tromping through my territory. Each time, I eventually signed a ROP agreement. The Romans joined in the war against Germany, but the Babylonians surprised me by attacking the Ottomans. Not long after, India also declared war on the Ottomans and the Ottomans made peace with Germany.

In the meantime, the Mongols made peace with everyone but the Iroquois. The Iroquois took a Mongol city and started threatening Mongol spice production. Since I was trading for Mongol spices, I regarded that as unacceptable, so I sent in some peacekeeping forces to run interference.

Throughout this time, I've been selling techs for mountains of gold. Some of the gold went to catch some of my newer cities up in improvements, but due to the odd nature of this game, I don't have anywhere near enough outlying cities to use up all my gold. So my current stockpile is a bit over 20,000. (I may be giving India a few hundred gold each turn to help them upgrade forces so they can be a better match for India, but my surplus is currently around 1250 at 100% science.)

I triggered my GA with the Hoover Dam about six techs before the end of the industrial era, and that let me research on a four-turn pace for a while. Now it's over, and I'm seven turns away from Fission. I'm planning to build the U.N. and try for a diplomatic victory. I'm currently four techs ahead of my closest competition, so I don't have to worry at all about being beat to it.

The interplay between my GA and my research rate led to a bit of an oddity in my research path. Normally, I research Motorized Transportation about as quickly as I can. But because I could research it at 80% in my GA, I decided to skip it and focus on Flight and Radio while I had my GA working for me and then pick up Motorized Transportation after my GA was over. So for possibly the first time ever, Motorized Transportation was the last mandatory industrial tech I researched.

One thing's for sure: with Germany at war with Rome, Japan, the Mongols, and America; the Ottomans at war with Babylon, India, and Japan; and the Mongols and Iroquois fighting it out, this world defintiely needs a U.N.!
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ad 1250 dar 5.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	54778  
Old October 9, 2003, 23:57   #3
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
I'm planning to build the U.N. and try for a diplomatic victory
Don't forget to save the game before you try the UN vote!!
(A "cheat" I always use "just in case.")
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 10, 2003, 00:05   #4
Tassadar500
Emperor

Jaybe in the AU you aren't allowed to cheat
Old October 10, 2003, 00:10   #5
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Good thought on saving before the vote, but I think I'm on good enough terms with enough of the AIs that the vote will be safe (at least as long as nothing goes wrong).

By the way, I got a nasty surprise early in the industrial era when I finished researching Steam Power and found that I didn't have any coal in my territory. Fortunately, there was a supply by the Mongols' remote city just north of my territory, and I was able to poach it by building a city right next to the Mongol border and rushing cultural improvements to take the tiles in between the two cities away from the Mongols. Who says you have to fight to take territory?
Old October 10, 2003, 00:22   #6
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Now that's always a fun tactic. I quite like it myself.

Don't tell anyone about the coal yet.
Old October 17, 2003, 11:20   #7
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 15:07
He he, lurved the b'stard coal & rubber placing . I'd have wept twice in this era had it not been for a good Rex!
Old October 17, 2003, 14:31   #8
Cort Haus
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Industrial Era, 820 AD - 1315 AD
The aim is to try a 'hands-off' approach to Peacekeeping, rather than a heavy-handed interventionism which could destabilise, rather than improve things. So the policy is still not to declare war, and to try and avoid it, and make it quick, short and defensive when it comes. There's no point in punishment beatings if it encourages others to take to the warpath.Then, with maximum allies, create the UN and take the vote.

The first thing I did in the Industrial Era was to gift iron to Spain, and to connect up the spare Saltpeter and gift that to India. Germany hit the era with Nationalism and the Iroqs traded their Steam for it. Funny how the AI never gives me Nationalism for Steam. So I researched Nationalism which I was able to trade for Steam. I also sold Mil Trad for 140gpt to Germany, as the Babs were coming up on it fast. Smiths Trading Company was finished at this time.

The only coal nearby was up by the Spanish silks, where, thanks to that good Rex, I had managed to plant a city.

A few turns later I brought all the remaining civs into Industrial Age and gave them Nationalism, and also gave some gpt to weaker civs. Sold Industrialisation for 260gpt to Germany, and started building some UN observers (explorers). These cheap and useful interventionists can scout, maneuvre, and block, thus influencing events in foreign wars without having to be at war, and they were soon pressed into service as Samauri trundled through my land, apparantly to attack India.

More observers were called for, and I also sent industrial aid in the shape of workers - not as slaves, but under my control so they could quickly railroad and mine their poorly-developed terrain. More Sammies came pouring through my land, and India only had Spearmen. I gifted them 300g, hoping they might upgrade.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	hyder_950.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	55219  
Old October 17, 2003, 14:33   #9
Cort Haus
Deity

'Hands-off' style Peacekeeping
Soon Japanese Cavalry joined the party, but instead of attacking piecemeal they seemed to be mustering, rather than going round my barrier which was extending up the coast towards India's furthest cities on the border with Germany, Spain and Turkey. I added my cavalry to the wall, but it soon becase apparant that I couldn't extend this and protect India indefinitely, but I can force them to attack more distant cities that would damage India less, and might arouse German interest. Giften India another 300g.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	hyder_970.jpg
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	55220  
Old October 17, 2003, 14:34   #10
Cort Haus
Deity

Japan's Target
When Babylon and India signed an MPP it looked like the pressure was off. Even if Japan does attack India, it won't be following up whilst at war with Babylon. However, the green units marched past India and headed south - where there is eventually a remote Indian city with rubber. Meanwhile, I discovered Replaceable Parts which I traded for Communism and gpt. Then Japan declared war on the Ottomans!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	japan_ott_1020ad.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	55221  
Old October 17, 2003, 14:35   #11
Cort Haus
Deity

Wonder Policy
Wonder policy was to rush factories and coal plants in two cities, setting the capital for Suffrage and the other on a Palace. A third factory/coalplant city, on a river, was deployed more slowly for the eventual Hoover Dam. The arrival of Scientific Method saw the Palace switched to Theory of Evolution (5 turns). Fastest rate on Atomic Theory is 6 turns, so adjust the ToE city to finish in 6 turns. The third city took the Military Academy as a Hoov prebuild.

[edit]: When the tech is discovered, choose 'big picture' then go to F1 and change the build.

Also on this turn, the last of the Rifles and Muskets were upgraded : 67 Inf, 28 Cav, 50 workers, 9 explorers. I sold Electricity to Ghandi for 43 gpt and gifted Rep. Parts to Spain and India

Unfortunately, my incoming payments which drive research were about to expire, and in order to get the six turns on Atomic Theory that would allow the expensive Radio from the Hoov, I'd have to sell Sci Meth - which I did to Germany (180gpt) and Babylon (90gpt)
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	wonders1.jpg
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	55222  

Last edited by Cort Haus; October 17, 2003 at 15:18.
Old October 17, 2003, 14:37   #12
Cort Haus
Deity

Losing my Religion
Because of the four native luxuries, and the fact that cash-rushing a full cost library is not much more than a full-cost temple, and the policy of importing luxuries, many cities spent much of the game without temples and cathedrals, which is a first time ever for me. It hit me when looking at a decently productive size nine city just how clean, lean and mean the improvements box looks.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	noreligion.jpg
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	55223  
Old October 17, 2003, 14:38   #13
Cort Haus
Deity

Meanwhile...
The Siphi's see off the first wave of Japanese assault, and over the coming turns would gradually repel the invaders back north, before being eventually beaten back again by Japanese Infantry waves which followed. Almost everyone's building the ToE - another first in my experience.

In 1090 Atomic Theory was researched, the Theory of Evolution completed, and Electronics and Radio discoverd. I could have taken the Hoover Dam next go using the Suffrage prebuild, but a later GA would help power later, more expensive techs. Gave India and Spain 500g each, and this was repeated intermittantly.

Then the Iroqious sneak-attacked. Damn the AU Mod for its insistance for more aggressive civs. That's another vote down the tube. I have 39 cav and 72 Inf, and snipped their Saltpeter just inside their border. Universal Suffrage completed, and next turn the Iroqs fling and lose a few knights and archers.

Corporation got heavily traded for gpt and Sanitation, terrain improvements were completed around now, and after bashing a few more Iroq units they took peace. Hiawatha's only annoyed though, not furious. There definitely seems to be more chance of restoring relations if you fight a short, defensive war, and dont take (or worse, raise) their cities.

A defensive line with a killzone was established, which could also be used as a trans-continental gateway, along Iroq and Bab borders.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	maginot.jpg
Size:	135.7 KB
ID:	55224  
Old October 17, 2003, 14:39   #14
Cort Haus
Deity

Golden Age
Next turn came the Hoover Dam, and a GA to nicely cover the five remaining mandatory techs or the era at four turns each, during which production could switch from Infantry to remaining buildings (needed or not) - Stock Exchanges, Police Statoins, Defense Thingy, Cathedrals etc - until Tanks.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	ga.jpg
Size:	4.9 KB
ID:	55225  
Old October 17, 2003, 14:40   #15
Cort Haus
Deity

I wanted some nice round numbers ...
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	150units.jpg
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	55226  
Old October 17, 2003, 14:41   #16
Cort Haus
Deity

Safety-Valve
During my GA, MPPs were signed between Germany-Babylon and Rome-Babylon, and on getting tanks all cities churned them out. I wanted a hundred! India allied with the Turks, but had vunerable cities exposed which were lost, so I built a wall of tanks over their peninsula to protect it, allowing a doorway for them to use, but not the enemy.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	safety_valve.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	395.6 KB
ID:	55227  
Old October 17, 2003, 14:43   #17
Cort Haus
Deity

Into the Modern Era ...
Then Iroqs and India signed an MPP and the Iroqs were also at war with Japan. It was all quite stable though, no dramatic progress anywhere - but the only concern was that Germany would join the alliance and so automatically getting the votes at the UN.

Flight was discovered to launch into the modern era in 1320.

Pop : 24,693,000 (1st)
GNP : 1847 million
Mfg Goods : 1260 megatons
Land : 44,500 sq miles (5th)
Productivity : 3059

Flight, MT and Radio ahead of all civs except Mongols - further behind
Military : 100 Inf, 50 Cav, 42 Tanks, 18 Arty, 15 Guerillas, 8 Explorers, 36 workers
22,500g in Kitty.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	modernera.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	113.9 KB
ID:	55229  
Old October 17, 2003, 15:02   #18
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 10:07
Just wanted to acknowledge the work you did on the DAR, hats off.
Old October 18, 2003, 22:09   #19
Taian
Chieftain

My theory at this point was to keep research maxxed out and be the driving force behind it, thereby sucking the other civs out of all their excess gold. There were numerous trades throughout this block and I'm not going to go into detail of each one. Suffice it to say they were pretty much broke from this point. Germany, the Babylonians and the Ottomans were my main trading partners, with India getting into the act towards the end of this block. Turns to research were between 4 and 5 for the entirety of the block which really helped to speed things along. The early expansion that I did paid huge dividends.

For the most part, wars were relatively limited. Japan was the major aggressor, starting various wars throughout this period with nearly every other civilization. Early on, I decided to essentially split the continent into 3 areas. The first contained the Spanish, the Germans and the Ottomans. The second contained the Japanese and the Romans. The third contained the Iroquois, the Babylonians and the Mongols. The only hiccup in the plan was the Iroquois/Japanese border. There were a few towns there that I hoped to "acquire" later on in the turn block (and did). This shot is of the Spanish/German/Ottoman front. Had to get this line of defenders up relatively quickly since the Japanese declared war on the Germans. Must have been a naval attack, since I pretty much let noone through my borders.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	wall of america.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	55314  
Old October 18, 2003, 22:16   #20
Taian
Chieftain

I did manage to get the Theory of Evolution and, thanks to a timely prebuild, completed the Hoover Dam shortly thereafter, which triggered the American Golden Age. The GA officially began in 1210AD. Gold was rolling in by this point, so I tended to rush build improvements whenever I felt like it.

I must say, I was seriously ticked off when I found out there was no rubber inside my territory. I grabbed a ton of land, only to find that it was nowhere to be found. If that 1 coal hadn't been within my borders, I probably would have been shopping for a new monitor I did, however, manage to find a willing trade partner in the Ottomans, who were nice enough to keep me in rubber for the remainder of the game.

On the military side, I concentrated on improvements and cavalry for the first half of the industrial age, and infantry for the second half of it (supplanted by tanks once they became available). I didn't take down the numbers at the end of the industrial age, but by the end of the game (only 10 or so turns after the industrial age ended), I had (among other things):

98 Infantry
130 tanks
21 Mech Inf (just started turning them out)
11 Battleships (I was bored )
11 fighters
6 bombers

There were assorted other units, but those were the major players. By the end of the Industrial age, I had a unit at every location along my borders, preventing anyone from entering without declaring war first. This worked until the last turn, when the Ottomans decided to attack Japan and pulled me in via my MP with Japan.
Old October 26, 2003, 16:56   #21
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
RL has greatly interfered with my playing and posting time... just getting back into the swing of things with AU 210:

870 AD:

This just scared the bejeezus outta me... there were appr. 50 Roman troops in the heart of my empire, en route to Germany. Legions and MedInfs and Bowman and Pikes and Spears, oh my!!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au210-870 ad, rome.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	214.1 KB
ID:	55902  
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 26, 2003, 17:03   #22
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

1070 AD:

This is not actually as bad as it looks... the only guys REALLY mixing it up are the Germans and the Japanese, who are both strong enough to take care of themselves.

My great fear from Knights forward was that the Ottomans would go crazy... which they later did!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au210-1070 ad, ai wars.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	157.7 KB
ID:	55903  
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old October 26, 2003, 17:04   #23
Theseus
Emperor

But in the meantime, I did have one serious danger: the Iroqouis were getting SMACKED by Japan.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au210-1070 ad, iroq.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	55904  

Old October 26, 2003, 17:07   #24
Theseus
Emperor

1160 AD:

I had captured Tonawanda from Rome to help the Iroq, and decided to build it up a bit with non-cultural stuff. See the smear of red at 67 of Tonawanda? That felt good.

This is around when I starting gifting like mad to the weaker civs... should have done so much earlier.

But, what a difference 90 years makes: look at the Iroquois comeback!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au210-1160 ad, dead gl.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	224.4 KB
ID:	55905  

Old October 26, 2003, 17:08   #25
Theseus
Emperor

1470 AD:

I research Flight, and enter the Modern Age with both that and Motor Trans under my exclusive control.

The wars have continued like wildfire. This has been the most nailbiting game I think I've ever played.

Iroquois got knocked down to Salamanca and Oil Springs to the south... I gave back a much-improved Tonawanda, and they re-captured Grand River (the ivory city to the east). They are fairly well protected at this point unless the Babs go after them... can;t really do much about that. Akwesasne JUST flipped to me from the Mongols, which helped.

The Spanish are now at risk... as you can see, the Ottomans have gone on a rampage. I've got three Tank+2xCav Armies, 31 Tanks, and 13 Cavs ready to go. What are the rules for engaging in war at this stage again?

I had rubber until recently from the Ottomans. I let it run out, and have not yet secured a new supply.

Over the last few turns, I had just about alll of my native Workers build radar towers.

Hmmm... as I'm writing this up it occurs to me that pre-war on the Ottamans I can both 1) Tank Shield most of Spain and 2) whip out some quick Explorers to pillage the connections between the main Ottoman territory and their captured cities.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au210-1470 ad, main map.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	284.3 KB
ID:	55906  

Old October 26, 2003, 17:10   #26
Theseus
Emperor

Kolhapur FINALLY flipped the previous turn. I "cultured up" the neighboring cities in a POWERFUL way... as you can see, I've got gold coming out of my ears.

Last edited by Theseus; October 26, 2003 at 17:38.
Old October 26, 2003, 17:25   #27
Theseus
Emperor

I've never seen the Mongols so strong... they have Infantry and Guerrillas galore. There are about 45 or so in this picture, en route to Rome. Think about how far that is from home!!

And YES! that is a Mongol mixed unit Infantry+2xGuerrilla Army south of Tampa BAY! I've also seen a Bab Rifle+2xGuerrilla Army floating around (which is a weird thing to do).
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au210-1470 ad, east map.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	262.9 KB
ID:	55909  

Old October 26, 2003, 17:28   #28
Theseus
Emperor

Now THIS is friggin' ugly!!

But most everybody likes me...

United Nations, here I come!!

Oh, and BTW, I missed Hoovers, so I've not yet had my GA (and also, I never built an FP!).
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au210-1470 ad, f4.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	55910  

Old October 26, 2003, 19:47   #29
Theseus
Emperor

I just realized, screw building Explorers.

Blitz works for Tanks pillaging too!

Old October 26, 2003, 23:25   #30
Theseus
Emperor

A little bit later... 1485 AD:

This is great: pillaged with Tanks thus cutting off the captured Spanish cities, and created a true Maginot Line protecting Spain from an upcoming onslaught of about 40 Infantry.

And my Tanks have free range in the war-torn territories. Feels very WWII-ish.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	au210-1485 ad, ww2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	151.0 KB
ID:	55924