Chieftain

Local Time: 15:10
Local Date: November 2, 2010
reiteration: we need a tech & research thread :P
Filippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2004, 22:36   #93
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 14:10
We already have a tech thread
Old January 12, 2004, 04:01   #94
Filippo
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:10
Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
We already have a tech thread
erm... where ?
Filippo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12, 2004, 09:31   #95
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:10
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Directory for official threads.
Technology thread.

Hooray.
Old January 16, 2004, 22:33   #96
Uncle Thade
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:10
Help here...
Being a CIV buff, I would like to volunteer any help in Research for what could be included and what have you. Assign me to a task force for project CIV 4 List and I will try to contribute what I can.

10 years playin CIV games and the likes!!!
Uncle Thade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2004, 00:55   #97
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:10
There are several topics on the first page that are still available. Pick one, start the list thread on that.
Old January 17, 2004, 03:37   #98
Trifna
King

Local Time: 22:10
And if you wish, you can even take two as some did; We wont punish you for that

Basically, you'll need to edit your first post to write what was said in the threads in an organized way. Some subjects get more material into them than some others.
Old January 17, 2004, 14:14   #99
hickchilli
Settler

I have an idea for Civ 4. I would like to see the new game incorporate rebellions. Perhaps it could be designed that part of a civilization would rebel. Sometimes the main civilization would conquer the rebellion (like the US civil war), but sometimes the rebellion would survive and create a brand new civilization (like the US revolutionary war). I think since history if fluid, it would be interesting to have
hickchilli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2004, 16:27   #100
Trifna
King

hickchilli, this thread is not to put ideas in. You have to find go to the forum and find which thread talks about that and post it there.
Old January 19, 2004, 23:08   #101
Uncle Thade
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
There are several topics on the first page that are still available. Pick one, start the list thread on that.
Thanks Skanky! All hail Emperor Burns.

Checking now...
Uncle Thade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2004, 22:07   #102
lajzar
Prince

Local Time: 23:10
Things I have always wanted to see...

Boolean tech requirements. Instead of a simple X and Y allows Z, allow for complex AND / OR / NOT statements. The NOt would probably be irrelevant to conventional progress, but it would allow you to do interesting things with magitech and differented national techs. For example:

fireball NEEDS pyromancy NOT hydromancy
zerg towers NEEDS zerg_tech NOT (terran_tech OR protoss_tech)

---

Second, for units, have requirements for buildings being present. Cavalry should need a "stables" building as well as the required tech. Clever modders could create two different cavalry units, one of which is more expensive and the other requiring the stables.

The civ 3 idea of units requiring a particular resource was good but flawed. If you got unlucky and had no iron or gunpowder, you generally lost to whoever did.

Instead, I would add the base cost to the unit for each required resource that is missing. This would represent the smaller deposits of these resources that are present everywhere. Ordinary terrain types could be made a requirement for certain units too. As a combined example:

Main Battle Tank
buildings - factory
terrain -
resources - rubber, iron

Without a factory, you can't build it. Without rubber /or/ iron, the cost doubles (base + base x 1). Without rubber /and/ iron, the cost triples (base + base x 2).

Elf Archers
buildings -
terrain - forest, forest
resources -

As long as the tech is ok, you can build it. Without forests, the cost triples (base + base x 2), as forest has been listed twice.

---

With wonders and buildings, civ 3 had the right idea of folding them into each other, but didn't go far enough. The general pool of properties should be common to both a la civ 3 but more so. An additional property should cover how many can be built. the following options should be present:

no limits (standard buildings)
(n) per nation (small wonders)
(n) per map (great wonders)

Why allow more than one for great/small wonders? This would allow for the "King's Barracks" that allows elite units, and have multiple but limited production facilities.

Thoughts on all this?
lajzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2004, 14:09   #103
Trifna
King

lajzar, this is not the place to put ideas but the place to discuss about "List" managers. So you'll hardly get anything constructive. Copy what you wrote in one of the List's threads. Here's each existing List subject:
http://www.apolyton.net/forums/showt...hreadid=105465
Old February 5, 2004, 11:24   #104
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Hmm... I'm beginning to get worried about asmodean- we may need to elect a new Listmanager

oh well I hope he's allright...
Old February 5, 2004, 12:14   #105
Trifna
King

I sent him a email at this adress he had used to email me, but he never answered back
Old March 27, 2004, 18:06   #106
DarkCloud
staff

Bumping this... perhaps we should confirm whether or not people are going to still manage their threads since time has passed and new people are interested...
Old March 27, 2004, 18:07   #107
DarkCloud
staff

I fear that Asmodean might have passed away or had something else bad happen we need to reorganize without him, so we might need to start a new thread for confirmations... thank you for taking the initiative to email him, however, trifna!
Old March 27, 2004, 19:03   #108
MattH
King

I'll stick with cheats.
Old March 28, 2004, 02:29   #109
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 00:10
not been much activit yin my threads for awhile now....

a new list manager may be needed if asmodean not answering, he may be busy or jsut lost interest. he may not have relasied how long a process this wa sgoing to take....

count me in to look after my two threads.
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29, 2004, 00:26   #110
DarkCloud
staff

Well, he hasn't even posted since december. He just disappeared!
Old March 29, 2004, 00:36   #111
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

damn hope he ok then, i guess real life may be interferiign , jsut hope it not a serious problem for him...
Old March 29, 2004, 07:17   #112
Trifna
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
I fear that Asmodean might have passed away or had something else bad happen we need to reorganize without him, so we might need to start a new thread for confirmations... thank you for taking the initiative to email him, however, trifna!

Well... no problem but I'm not too positive about it since I got no answer, nor any "this email address does not exist" message
Old April 6, 2004, 19:17   #113
Redeyed Rooster
Settler

The thread is so long and I'm so tired at the minute, so apologies if I am repeating anyone else here...

I would like to see, in no particular order:

Although much was done to make the diplomacy very good, I can't help but feel it was lacking something - I would like to see a combo with moo3 diplomacy. I has things like "Make peace with X" and so forth. Without locked alliances in a scenario, it's very difficult (in a sp game) to have a situation where you and your allies are all allied to eachother. There need to be other options, like the ability to ask someone else to fught a war against an enemy without you getting involved militarily. Bring back unit trading, haven't sooooooo many countries civil wars been decided by a foriegn power arming another side? Speaking of which, has anyone caused a civil war in civ3 by taking a Capital City? That was fun, and heartbreaking when it happpened to you. Maybe there could be special 'civil war civs' that only appear then, with an option at the start that decides which one of the two sides you will play - For ex: You decide to play either Yankee or Reb at the beginning and then if you enter a civil war, you fight against the other. Years worth of code, but just a thought.

Bring back the stuff from Test of Time - other maps and so forth. At least the Alpha Centurai Map - That was what I honestly expected to happen the first time I got to the Spaceship waaaaaaaaaayyyyy back in the days of Civ1 (ahhhh, how I miss the city capture animation)

I'll stop here and post more later - man!!! there are soooooo many things that could go in - where do you start? Oh yeah, one last thing about the civil war - what the U.N. could vote to send in Peacekeeping Troops that could occupy cities but not take them over? They might be able to build Improvements, but not Units for example.

That's it - sorry it's so long
A: "We claim this land in the name of..." B: "You can't claim this land for anyone, it's ours, we live here!" A: "Do you have a flag?" B: "Erm... No... Why?" A: "Well then, there you have it. No flag, no country. Those are just the rules I'm afraid, old boy. Sorry about that, no hard feelings I hope."
Redeyed Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19, 2004, 12:39   #114
Elias
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Warlord

Im confused are we supposed to post the stuff we want to say here? My thread seems to have dissapeared I was doing units I hav everything written down should I post?
Old April 19, 2004, 13:09   #115
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

this thread was jsut for getting people to manage the threads .

if you have ideas find the thread that is relevant to your idea and post your ideas there.

starting new threads only makes things harder to collate later.

if you idea doesnt seem to fit any existing thread then you need to reread al lthe threads becasue they do cover everything...
Old April 21, 2004, 11:26   #116
Elias
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Warlord

I am a manager im doing units but my thread is gone where should we post the ideas the the people put on my thread we were supposed to summerize them right? The only thread I can still find is tech and no one seems to have any more Ideas anyway.
Old May 15, 2004, 22:48   #117
DarkCloud
staff

I think that your thread might still exist- Just look at the bottom right hand corner of your browser page in the Civ Games/Future section and select VIEW THREADS (FROM THE BEGINNING)... then you might see the older thread that has sunk

or do a search on your name and topics started in this section on the site and you should find it
Old May 15, 2004, 22:56   #118
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

an occaisonal bump would have helped ...
Old May 17, 2004, 19:41   #119
Creator
Chieftain

it would be good to be able to give units to other nations like ships tanks etc as gifts or threats etc.

Through diplomancy
Creator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 19:45   #120
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

back to civ2 .... good idea...

----------------