monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Local Time: 09:11
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui
Quote:
Cox does not want to remove ESPN at all. ESPN has been increasing it's rates to the cable companies by 20% for the past five years and refuses to be put on a seperate tier a la HBO. Cox does not want to have to raise their customers cable bills.
So are you saying Cox isn't removing ESPN? Because if they do not want to remove ESPN, they wouldn't.
Cox and ESPN will work things out, at worst ESPN might be removed for a couple weeks but I highly doubt things will go even that far. Cox just wants to stem the tide of outlandish price increases and I feel that they are very justified in doing so.
Old December 8, 2003, 20:48   #32
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 09:11
Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider
Cox just wants to stem the tide of outlandish price increases and I feel that they are very justified in doing so.
Cox wants their cake and they want to eat it to. Screw em. While the ratings for ESPN may not justify their costs... ESPN is a "destination" network... one of the reason why MANY people sign up for cable in the first place. ESPN provides quality but expensive programing. To keep bidding and getting the types of sports that people want, it costs them money. They are MORE than justified for asking that kind of money from cable companies. You get what you pay for.

By either removing ESPN or jacking up rates, they will drive customers away to direct satelite... Proving that it is worth the money to them. ESPN is what people want... if Cox doesn't want to pay the piper... they might as well get out of the business...

This is all just grand standing on their part... an opening salvo across the bow... They will probably end up paying a few pennies less for this move... but that's about it. In the end, they won't be removing ESPN. Trust me on that...
Old December 8, 2003, 22:23   #33
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 07:11
I don't see why you all are taking ESPN's side.

These $250 million dollar contract athletes are the cause of the problem. Why can't anyone see that?

I'm tired of paying for overpriced atheletes

something's got to change. Athlete's salaries cannot continue to rise like this.
Old December 9, 2003, 00:38   #34
BustaMike
The Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 06:11
Location: You think you're better than me? You've been handling my ass pennies!!!
Look, I don't care how they work it out or who's charging what for what. I want my cable to stay as it is now. I like PTI, I like Sportscenter, I like basketball games Thursday and Friday nights.

If they don't work it out, neither Cox nor ESPN will be getting any of my money.
Old December 9, 2003, 01:29   #35
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 10:11
Quote:
Athlete's salaries cannot continue to rise like this.
Why not?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)