Old October 2, 2003, 23:54   #1
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 07:12
Local Date: November 2, 2010
AUSG101 – Domination Team DAR 4
This is the DAR (“during action report”) thread for the fourth turn block of 30 turns (550bc – 50ad) for the domination team. Please post your DAR of the next 30 turns, including thoughts of why you did what you did in the game, along with a screenshot at 50ad and a savegame at 50ad. Please name your save with your nickname, team name, and the time (i.e. rhoth-domination-50ad).

Team registry:

The Arsenal
Konquest02
Theseus
Master Zen
Taian
Beta
Charlie_Six

Current voting (by spaceship team)

Master Zen: 2
Taian: 1

Total votes: 3 of 7
Attached Files:
File Type: sav beta of the arabs, 550 bc.sav (136.0 KB, 12 views)

Last edited by Rhothaerill; October 10, 2003 at 17:44.
Old October 4, 2003, 16:19   #2
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 10:12
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Here I go...
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old October 4, 2003, 17:02   #3
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Ahem...

Would anyone like to name our elite* Horseman?

The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old October 4, 2003, 17:17   #4
Tassadar500
Emperor

Dean
Old October 4, 2003, 17:22   #5
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Dean the 1st! ("the" is optional).
Naming "*" units with sequential numbers is how I track the number of Leaders I get.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 4, 2003, 17:27   #6
Theseus
Emperor

It's actually quite a dilemna... I don't know what to do with it.

Wait a sec... WTF am I talking about... this is ME!

Domination team, may I introduce you to your first ARMY!!!

Old October 4, 2003, 19:24   #7
Theseus
Emperor

550 BC:

Wow, this really was well-played, Beta.

My only complaint is military... you've got forces spread out in little teams, whereas I prefer fewer and larger stacks.

No problem, though. I took a chance on the single Sword at Satsuma, and captured it without a scratch.

Changed the two camps to Settlers... Temples for camps?? Oh, also, we definitely need more Workers.

530 BC:

Took Osaka.

470 BC:

Monarchy to Carthage for WM, Lit, and 60 g.

Start GLib in Mecca as pre-build for a Market.

With 3 GWs to choose from, change Basra to Colossus.

450 BC:

Kyoto builds Colossus. Change Basra back to Harbor.

Oh, and look, I've got 6 Horse ready to attack Kyoto!

Down goes Kyoto, at the cost of two Horse... and the GLight too!! WOOHOO!!

330 BC:

Tokyo captured.

290 BC:

Currency finished. Timing for Mecca is dead on... Market in one turn. I convert some other high pop cities to Markets as well.

270 BC:

Damn... Galley suicide.

I take down the second-to-last Japanese city... and GET A GL!! WOO HOO!! I send it back to the core... not sure what to do with it. Whaddya think... ARMY!!

250 BC:

Abandoned the camps.

Peace with Japan for 39g... not much but enough for an Arrian Deception. The fastmovers head for America.

230 BC:

Shiraz built at the chokepoint.

190 BC:

An American Spear/Settler pair shows up near the fur colony. This will not do... BOP.

130 BC:

Carthage is actually useful, and reseaches Construction one turn before I do... I trade Currency for that, 11g, WM, and contact with the Germans!

Bizzy-markie is a chump, waaay behind. I trade Mysticism for WM and 40 gold.

Spices, yum yum.

110 BC:

Didn't think that the last Japanese city would have the Palace and thus be generating culture... I refuse to leave, and declare war.

Japan and America must be wiped out ASAP for the Deception.

90 BC:

Chicago is captured... only Seattle remains. The Japanese are destroyed. I am getting sort of frantic about barb camps, as I will soon change ages.

I am also undertaking a massive Settler prorgram.

50 BC:

I seem to have gotten through the age change without a barb horde. Do barbs appear after the ancient era?

/me thinks of late game razing of vast swathes of land.

Uh, yup, they do.

I gift Polytheism to Germany.

10 BC:

America is destroyed.

Deception completed, with both Carthage and Germany polite.

30 AD:

Damn! Another Galley suicides.

Code of Laws and Currency to Germany for silks.

50 AD:

Nothing special happened.
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	ausg101 - 50ad - empire.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	249.6 KB
ID:	54506  

Old October 4, 2003, 19:27   #8
Theseus
Emperor

I actually haven't built that many more units.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	ausg101 - 50ad - f3a.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	148.4 KB
ID:	54507  

Old October 4, 2003, 19:30   #9
Theseus
Emperor

There's my baby!
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	ausg101 - 50ad - f3b.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	54509  

Old October 4, 2003, 19:32   #10
Theseus
Emperor

F11:
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	ausg101 - 50ad - f11.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	123.5 KB
ID:	54510  

Old October 7, 2003, 13:00   #11
TheArsenal
Apolyton University
Prince

I am going to be way late on this one. Maybe Thursday.

Stupid RL.
Old October 7, 2003, 19:45   #12
Taian
Chieftain

Local Time: 08:12
Not much going on for the first turn. The forces massed outside of Osaka start to descend on it. In 530BC, the first wave hits it. Lost one horse and took the city intact. I'm of the mind to build up for one final push at them, using Osaka as a staging point. To that end, in 530BC, a peace treaty was struck that saw Kagoshima, 3 workers, 25 gold and the Japanese world map come to the Arabs. I went for Kagoshima since we have a spearman up there already who can garrison.

It's now 450BC. I really want to try and contact the other continent, and I'm thinking the Great Lighthouse would help that along. I know breaking treaties isn't a great idea (sometimes)...but I'm going to anyway. Kyoto is going down.. Satsuma razed in 410BC.

In 370BC, after repeated attacks, Cecil, one of our archers, struck the deciding blow that toppled Kyoto. As a pleasant side effect, the Great Lighthouse and the Collossus are now in Arab hands. Here's looking for those overseas contacts... Contact with Carthage shows them to have Literature. Trade Monarchy for Lit, 73 gold and their map.

Shoot...forgot about the AU mod only letting galleys go 2 squares in ocean. Lost him up north
Mansura founded in 330BC. Bukhara founded later that same year.

Currency discovered in 330BC. Philosopy in 4 turns.. In 310BC, a peace treaty struck between Japan and Arabia. Nara, 26 gold and the Japanese world map are not in Arab hands. Very next turn, moved 5 horse near Tokyo....war again Lost one of the horse to a Japanese horse, but in 270BC, Tokyo fell to the remaining 4 horsemen (four horsemen of the Apocalypse?..) Ladies and Gentlemen, the Japanese have left the building...

Aleppo founded in 270BC. Fez founded in 250BC. Philosophy discovered. Have the option of construction or Republic...Construction it is..in 11 turns. Shiraz founded in 230BC. Merw founded in 210BC. Balkh founded in 150BC.

It's now 130BC and the final step in this part of the Deception is beginning. Americans have 3 cities, with a settler on his way for a fourth. BONK! No more settler on his way for a fourth That same year, Seattle fell to Arab horsemen. Chicago fell to the Arabs in 90BC, leaving only San Francisco in American hands. Later that year, it too fell and was razed by the Arab forces. Operation Deceive and Conquer is a success!

Contacted Carthage...currently Cautious. They've contacted the Germans...fancy that. Trade Carthage Philosophy in exchange for that contact. Trade Bizzy Mysticism and Literature for 75 gold and his world map.

Mosul founded in 70BC. Aydab founded in 70BC. Bayt Ras founded in 70BC. Suhar founded in 50BC.

Construction discovered in 50BC...the Arabs are into the Middle Ages! Feudalism in 13 turns.

In 10AD, the Captain of the HSS Mecca made contact with a new continent. The people were from a civilization called "Mordor". These people were more advanced than the lowly Arabs, having knowledge of both Feudalism and Engineering. I'm not really wanting to give up the Carthage and German contacts yet, so no deals struck. However, a deal was struck with Bismarck, seeing Silks, 3 gold and his world map go to Arabia in exchange for currency.

The Captain of the Mecca, still in the exploring mood, stumbles across a city called Jaipur. While purchasing much needed supplies, he also managed to negotiate a deal with the native people, the Indians. In exchange for Currency, he received contact with the Babylonians and 26 gold. Taif founded in 30AD.

So ends this saga of the Arab people.

Summary:

33 cities.
20 horsemen, 6 swordsmen, 16 spearmen, 6 archers, 3 galleys (more on the way), 12 warriors.
28 native workers and 15 foreign workers.
Contact with all civs.
479 gold in the treasury, Feudalism in 11 turns and +31 gpt. Should have a bunch ready once Chivalry is known to upgrade to Ansars.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	50ad.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	54794  

Last edited by Taian; October 10, 2003 at 18:21.
Old October 7, 2003, 19:57   #13
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 09:12
Sorry, still won't be able to play this block... I will be back next week for more...!

Stupid RL and it's lab reports... RL should be banned from existing...!

--Kon--
Old October 7, 2003, 20:55   #14
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Due to poly's image and attachment troubles I cannot download the save. :-(

If the AU guys would be willing to give an extension until poly's troubles are fixed I would really appreciate it. If not I guess you can skip me for this round. Sorry guys.

I also think an extention would be good because likewise I won't be able to download the saves of the team I'm supposed to review, or view their attachments.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Old October 7, 2003, 21:19   #15
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 14:12
Master Zen, that's simply soluble using email. I have your address and could easily send you either this save or any for review.
Old October 7, 2003, 22:19   #16
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Ok that's good

same to anyone who wants to send me this round's save so I can play it before the deadline e-mail: raguil AT masterzen DOT net.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)

Last edited by Master Zen; October 7, 2003 at 22:45.
Old October 7, 2003, 22:32   #17
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 14:12
Are you sure that's you're address exactly? It's not the one I've just sent the saves to.
Old October 7, 2003, 22:44   #18
Master Zen
Deity

doh, it's DOT net : idiot:

yes I did get them, thank you very much

Old October 7, 2003, 23:14   #19
Taian
Chieftain

Forgot the save...not like it will help much though seeing as there seem to be some troubles with images/files atm...
Attached Files:
File Type: sav taian - domination - 50ad.sav (166.3 KB, 3 views)
Old October 8, 2003, 00:05   #20
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Due in part to 'Poly's problems with downloads, etc. and partly to the fact that there aren't that many turnblocks submitted, I am officially extending the deadline for DAR4 until Thursday at 23:59 eastern time. At that time, no matter what the status of 'Poly, the discussion phase will begin.
Old October 8, 2003, 01:41   #21
Master Zen
Deity

Thank you : unworthy :

Old October 8, 2003, 02:47   #22
Master Zen
Deity

Ok, since I played before seeing Rhoth's extension I kinda rushed through it and didn't do any turn by turn reports so I'll try and make as detailed a summary as I can from what I can remember:

Military
Obviously the military stuff goes first! Basically I continued the war against the Japanese. My horsemen quickly assembled and took Osaka while the swordsman near Tokyo (what the hell was it doing there???) was ferried to Satsuma to join another sword that came from the south. Satsuma fell, and the swords were ferried to Yokohama which was destroyed. Tokyo was attacked by the horse stack and was captured, giving us the Great Lighthouse! After healing the horses went on to capture Tokyo and destroy their last city which I forget the name. With the Great Lighthouse, the galley soon ventured forth and discovered the other continent and what a surprise, the Land of Mordor! (Great easter egg Rhoth! )

Meanwhile, in the east, an uneasy peace with the infidel Americans ensued. Once they popped a settler I knew it was time for war. An archer killed the settler group and horses destroyed their eastern city. Meanwhile some swords approached Chicago and after a while of leader farming with too leet horses (which was unsuccessful) I gave up and took the city.

Economy
The empire is growing steadily, a few markets were built and settler pumping continued without stop. We now have 28 cities and more settlers on the way. We are #1 in everything with a GNP of 192 and 95 megatons of production. We are also the biggest in land area and population. Cities were built with RCP in mind to the maximum extent possible. I am planning the FP in Washington since a ring of very productive cities can be built around it (I am discarding the RCP FP bug since it is a bug, hence an exploit). Washington has a WLTKD which has reduced the time for the FP but it's still a whiles away (game'll probably be over but I'm hoping for many GLs later). Technology wise I did some trading and managed to get into the Medieval Age AND get Feudalism. I am currently hoarding some $$ for upgrades which means slider at 10% but after that, full swing for Mono and Chivalry.

Diplomacy
We have contact with all civs except one. Our only serious rival is Mordor. They will probably be the team to beat. Our hit list in order: 1) Carthage 2) Germany 3) India 4) Babylon 5) Mordor. What's the evil plan then?

Evil Plan
Are we going to wait till Chivalry to take on Hannibal? HELL NO!!! Warmonger kill kill kill and kill again, and fresh from our victories it's time to teach Hannibal a lesson or two in warfare. That means med infs, yes you heard me. I currently have 12 with the remaining swords en route. 4 more are in production and I plan a final batch of 8-10 more via upgrades (cutting that iron next turn). That means after the warriors are built it's horses from here to victory, no more med infs (which is why I want to get at carthage with around 25 of them).

To ensure a quick victory over Carthage I plan a significant naval assault. We have 8 galley currently. 2 stacks of 4 will go towards Sabratha and Leptis Magna with 6 med infs and 2 pikes each. Another bigger stack will hit Hippo and move down. After Carthage is done for, the galleys will meet in the south and ferry the armies to Germany (who lacks iron). This should be a very quick victory.

All during this time our empire will be mass producing horses ready for a huge Ansar upgrade. The Ansar army will invade India and later go after Mordor. We have 16 horsemen at the moment, I hope to get at least 30-40 for the initial invasion of India and Babylon. After that a beeline for MT and a final Cavalry assault against Mordor. By then our GA will get us a LOT of troops.

That's pretty much it. Enjoy

Order of Battle
1 warrior
4 archers
13 spearmen
5 swordsmen
16 horsemen
8 galleys
12 medieval infantry

The save:
http://apolyton.net/upload/files/Mas...nation50AD.SAV

Last edited by Master Zen; October 8, 2003 at 02:53.
Old October 8, 2003, 03:09   #23
Master Zen
Deity

Pictures of Arabia
The empire:

The Holy Arabian Navy Battle Fleet

F11

Histograph

Old October 8, 2003, 03:21   #24
Master Zen
Deity

OPERATION HOLY FURY
The picture says it all:

I want to try and get an Ansar into combat before the war is over to speed up unit production before the IC invasion.

EDIT: Sorry, I had tagged the pic as a link.

Last edited by Master Zen; October 10, 2003 at 12:26.
Old October 9, 2003, 22:24   #25
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Guys - sorry to have been away. Busy week in RL. And only had minimal time for the mano-o-mano election in the ISDG. Will play tomorrow evening,

Damn, I hate work. Sometimes I wish they didn't pay so well and then I would have no compunction about quitting and playing Civ all day.

Rhoth - MZ mentioned an extension. Hope I can make it under the wire.
Old October 9, 2003, 22:30   #26
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
550 BC:

Wow, this really was well-played, Beta.

My only complaint is military... you've got forces spread out in little teams, whereas I prefer fewer and larger stacks.
Thanks Theseus.

I agree 100% with your assessment about fewer and larger stacks. It was sort of the way the last round developed, needing a few here to take this American city, or to head back and deal with barbs and Japanese warriors. Or keeping folks back to heal without wanting to hold up the forward progress. As a result, we sort of got strung out more than I like.

I would certainly never do this in a multi-player game - you would get chewed up and spit out. But I figured the Japanese would not have any forces massed, and I wanted to engage them as quickly as I could after taking out the Americans.

Great round by the way, Theseus.

Once again, Rhoth and guys, this is a wonderful format!!
Old October 9, 2003, 22:33   #27
Beta
lifer
Deity

Master Zen - I absolutely loved the name:

AA Rock the Casbah.

*Beta heads to bed still chuckling.
Old October 9, 2003, 22:34   #28
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

The discussion period will officially start in a hour or so, but you're savegame will still be accepted tomorrow.
Old October 9, 2003, 22:58   #29
Konquest02
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Vox ControliApolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 09:12
I will get my save game tomorrow night... Is it too late?
Old October 10, 2003, 00:15   #30
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

It is almost midnight EST so I'm going to go ahead and officially declare the fourth turn block over. Now we will start the process of deciding which saves will begin the next turn block. For this turn block the domination team would choose for the opportunist team and in turn the spaceship team will choose for the domination team.

In the opportunist DAR 4 thread please post your preference for the next turn save for that team. It is also encouraged, though not mandatory, to discuss and critique the individual saves while posting your preference. The time period for discussing and posting your preference will last until 23:59 EST Saturday, and the next turn block will begin on Sunday.

I will keep a running count of the voting updated in the first post of this thread. The choice for the next savegame will be posted in this thread and a brand new DAR 5 thread for the third turn block on Sunday.