View Poll Results: What is your playstyle?
Tech 4 33.33%
Production 6 50.00%
Economy 0 0%
I win too fast to worry... 2 16.67%
Voters: 12. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 12, 2003, 08:00   #31
Iasius
Warlord

Local Time: 14:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Crabz
would you be able to define tele blitz? I know that tele is telepathic... so It could have to do with mind controlling lots of colonies fast, right? What is the other part of it?
That is pretty much all there is. Conquer everyone fast.
No research only shipbuilding. However aside from the occasional 'How fast can I do it?' it's not a style of play I find very interesting.
There's also a turn by turn walkthrough by vmxa1 somewhere in this forum.
Iasius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2003, 12:05   #32
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 10:14
8, impossible, large galaxy, normal tech, normal galaxy age, random events on.

Telepathic
Warlord
Trans Dimensional
Omniscient
Rich HW
Feudal
Repulsive

No research, just ships and outpost.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2003, 19:07   #33
Crabz
Settler

lol Okay, I've tried and failed... how do you get around the star systems that are empty and more than 4 parsecs apart?
Crabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2003, 20:05   #34
vmxa1
Deity

Lets say you play at normal tech start. You have a colony ships and two frigates IIRC. So you send out the frigates and see whats is about (treasue, leaders).

Drop a the CS someplace that allows you to get to any race you can see, if any. Continue to scout from the new colony if it provides aditional range.
If you need more range at this time, you will have to crank out an OP (outpost). If not your fisrt build is a cruiser with nukes.

Once you get the cruiser up, take down the nearest races. You will want to refit those frigates. Always be building a ship at all planets. You will soon need more cruisers to take down improved SB (starbase).

If you want to make it a fast run, you will need to plan to be able to reach each race in perfect timing. This means getting as many OP's as you need.

In some cases you will have to defeat a ship or two and retreat. This will force you to lose time coming back for the SB.

After you grab two races, you will now have three good planets to build from and with any luck, may have gotten a tech.

Remember you have Omi, so you can see all planets.

Last edited by vmxa1; December 13, 2003 at 12:09.
Old December 22, 2003, 22:28   #35
system370
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Garth Vader
Interesting, I wouldn't have thought of selling your barracks.

Also, I usually transfer people from the HW to colonies so they will grow faster. Interesting to see that in the other direction.
You can also scrap your Star Base if you have a good production race and are feeling ambitious. Get 200BC and save 2 BC per turn maint. By the time you are ready to build your first Battleship it won't take long to rebuild.
system370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2003, 00:37   #36
vmxa1
Deity

I have only used the sell SB twice. You just have to be sure that no one is close enough to hit you before you are ready to rebuild it.

I find it useful if oyu have several good colonies in your system and will need the cash to rush RL's. Forty turns at 2bc each will pay for some RL or AF or a leader.
Old December 23, 2003, 00:42   #37
vmxa1
Deity

At least you use System370 instead of System360 or 1401. Any particular 370 you liked more than the others? Was it running Dos/OS or VM?
Old January 3, 2004, 00:37   #38
system370
Settler

VM/SP 5 I think I used then came along ESA
system370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2004, 01:35   #39
vmxa1
Deity

Ah yes I can barely remember VM/SP, I think it went to VMXA and then VM/ESA. It was a long time ago.
Old January 4, 2004, 08:45   #40
da_hal
Warlord

once you get the hang of what the ai is capable of, you can win pretty much any game easily. it appears that you are just getting on your feet, so here's some random tips:

1. build ships early, even if they are small. upgrade them, preferably with missiles. it's a little complicated to go into the rock-paper-scissors aspects, but generally 2-3 ships with mirv nukes will keep other races off your back for the first 100-150 turns.

2. research tech and production, and then weapons later. you can leave biology/shields/engines until almost the very end. i prefer to use missiles, because they minaturize quickly and are extremely effective in the early game, even against antareans. they become obsolete quickly though, but you'll take a lot of the other guys out with you.

3. don't be afraid to save/restart. while many purists here consider it 'cheating' you can learn a lot about the game.

4. killer picks: telepathic, lithovore, creative, subterranean. use them. after you get the hang of the game, you can try without them or with the harder picks.

5. don't use troop transports. it's much easier to just destroy a colony and then re-colonize.

6. use outpost ships. it will give you twice the range for half the tech.

these are just tips to help you avoid some of the stress-causing aspects of learning how to play. later, all of it becomes moot and you figure out how to win no matter what.
da_hal is offline   Reply With Quote