Old December 9, 2003, 01:35   #1
Tassadar500
Emperor

Local Time: 07:14
Local Date: November 2, 2010
AU Professor
We all remember when the AU was stuck in the Civ3-Strategy Forum around 3 days ago? I was the Dean and Rhothaerill was my assistant. However, now that we have a forum I feel it's best to actually ask everyone who would like to be the assistant Dean or as I call it the "AU Professor". It's not to say Rhothaerill hasn't done a good job but I feel like I need to give everyone a fair chance. Plus Rhothaerill hasn't been active for the last week or so It will work like this: You ask you want to be the "AU Professor". I write your name down. Depending on the number of applicants I will make a poll of them all. Top 3 go into a final and I pick the new "AU Professor" from those 3.

Nominations

Dominae

Last edited by Lord Nuclear; December 14, 2003 at 20:31.
Old December 9, 2003, 01:46   #2
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:14
Local Date: November 3, 2010
What does this position entail, so that nominess may know what they're signing up for?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old December 9, 2003, 01:47   #3
Tassadar500
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
What does this position entail, so that nominess may know what they're signing up for?

What exactly does my position entail? It's essentially what I do but in a lesser form. Best I can explain it.
Old December 9, 2003, 03:30   #4
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 10:14
I think MWIA was looking for a bit more detail.

Setting up courses? poll? what else? Linking Dar/Aar?
Old December 9, 2003, 03:44   #5
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

I nominate Dominae.

And NM, it's not that I haven't been active, I just haven't articulated my thoughts any better than others have so I haven't posted.
Old December 9, 2003, 11:59   #6
Tassadar500
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I think MWIA was looking for a bit more detail.

Setting up courses? poll? what else? Linking Dar/Aar?
Well what do I do?
Old December 9, 2003, 13:47   #7
vmxa1
Deity

It is not so much what you do, but what is it you want the "prof" to do.
Old December 9, 2003, 20:19   #8
Tassadar500
Emperor

Quote:
It is not so much what you do, but what is it you want the "prof" to do.
Did you not read my response to WIA? I clearly stated that the "Professor" would do what I do but in a lesser form.
Old December 9, 2003, 21:23   #9
vmxa1
Deity

Ok, that is as clear as mud.
Old December 9, 2003, 22:03   #10
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

So let me get this straight...

/me makes stuff up as he goes along

The Professor will be responsible for collating any agreed changes to implement in the AU mod, and ensuring someone adds them to the mod. This list, along with any future changes, will be added to a topped thread, and updated frequently, along with the AU mod itself. Also they will be the one who sorts out any disagreements on what should be in AU with a poll or three.

They will need to pay close attention to any issues arising from AU games and will start (if necessary) + encourage debate in these issues, including polls (again, if necessary).

Perhaps they will administer a topped Directory of all important threads, AU games and the AU mod itself.

This person needs to be at least a little bit organised, and willing to do a bit of such work to keep us all happy.

Anything else, or is this all BS?

What else do you do, NM?

Old December 10, 2003, 00:20   #11
Tassadar500
Emperor

That would be pretty much it. Of course also doing some random stuff that I am too lazy to do

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
So let me get this straight...

* MrWhereItsAt makes stuff up as he goes along

The Professor will be responsible for collating any agreed changes to implement in the AU mod, and ensuring someone adds them to the mod. This list, along with any future changes, will be added to a topped thread, and updated frequently, along with the AU mod itself. Also they will be the one who sorts out any disagreements on what should be in AU with a poll or three.

They will need to pay close attention to any issues arising from AU games and will start (if necessary) + encourage debate in these issues, including polls (again, if necessary).

Perhaps they will administer a topped Directory of all important threads, AU games and the AU mod itself.

This person needs to be at least a little bit organised, and willing to do a bit of such work to keep us all happy.

Anything else, or is this all BS?

What else do you do, NM?
Old December 10, 2003, 01:20   #12
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
Hmmm... It seems to me that NM does the organizational stuff pretty well: running the university, as it were. And we seem to have a mechanism / structure developing for the evolution of the AU Mod.

An AU Professor...

Perhaps to oversee and manage the course program? What should we be studying, learning, researching, re-visiting? In what order? How do we do so, and compare / learn? AARs? DARs? Succession games? Challenges? How do we balance learning across stock and the AU Mod? Where do MP / PBEMs / Team PBEMs fit in? Where do other C3 sites fit in? How do we communicate learnings back into the 'poly and general C3 communities?

The academic vs. the organizational vs. the Mod... it seems to me there is an awful lot to do re academics (not to say that the other tasks aren't HUGE... kudos to NM for pushing forward, and alexman and others for the continuation of the AU Mod!! ).
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old December 10, 2003, 07:46   #13
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus How do we communicate learnings back into the 'poly and general C3 communities?
Wow - a good one. I guess we want to be able to have "guest lectures", either by someone summarising the learnings of a particular AU game, or as a collaborative venture by all involved in that AU game - posted in the Strat forum.

By volunteers. This might be too much for one person to be given the strict responsibility for. Let's not let this get out of hand. Just someone(s) to organise what I have said and actually keep AU games started and going should be enough, I think.

Old December 10, 2003, 16:28   #14
mattcj
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:14
I'll do it.... no, wait... I still have a life!
Old December 10, 2003, 22:24   #15
Tassadar500
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by mattcj
I'll do it.... no, wait... I still have a life!
You obviously don't if all you do is go around the forums and troll
Old December 12, 2003, 14:20   #16
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

If Nuclear Master takes care of the organizational stuff, I would not mind being the "AU Professor" and take care of the academic stuff.

The real question is: do you want evil Dominae as your teacher? I'm asking this only half in jest: although I would endeavour to make AU as broad and accessible as possible, I might not be able to go beyond my own personal biases regarding the game.

Dominae
Old December 12, 2003, 15:03   #17
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

YAY!!

I think you'd be great, Dominae.

Just don't be 'evil' ALL of the time.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Old December 12, 2003, 15:22   #18
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

You'd make a great AU professor Dom, that's why I nominated you.

And I for one enjoy most of your evil courses (AU208 killed me though).
Old December 12, 2003, 15:33   #19
Nor Me
Apolyton University
Prince

Local Time: 14:14
That's because AU208 was Alexman's fault!

Rhothaerill, you did a great job with the SG. I would have supported you to keep the job.

But I can't argue with Dominae for it :b.
Old December 12, 2003, 16:47   #20
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Nor Me
That's because AU208 was Alexman's fault!

Rhothaerill, you did a great job with the SG. I would have supported you to keep the job.

But I can't argue with Dominae for it :b.
Whoops, you're right. Okay so alexman is the evil one.

As for not being the "deputy" anymore I have as much ego as the next guy, but I fully realize Dominae is a much better course designer than I am and would make a better professor. I want the AU courses to be enjoyable and played by many people. So I have no problem stepping down after the two courses I created. The AUSG was my little pet project, but it was unfortunately too far off the beaten path to keep everyone around for the long haul...that and the course that was designed was too easy.
Old December 12, 2003, 19:05   #21
Tassadar500
Emperor

Rhothy, I am going to put your name down on the list. Do you accept?
Old December 12, 2003, 19:21   #22
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Thank you but no. I think Dominae will do a better job than I could.
Old December 12, 2003, 20:51   #23
vmxa1
Deity

Slightly OT, but I thought AU208 was a lot of fun. It was the first game I remeber pl;aying that wa really different.
Old December 12, 2003, 21:07   #24
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Slightly OT, but I thought AU208 was a lot of fun. It was the first game I remeber pl;aying that wa really different.
It WAS fun, and different. It was just evil because after cruising through the destruction of Rome, Iroquois and England one at a time, the other four civs ganged up on me and I never recovered.
Old December 13, 2003, 02:29   #25
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Pardon me for being oblivious, but if this position was already being held by Rhoth, why replace him?

Dominae
Old December 14, 2003, 20:17   #26
Theseus
Emperor

On the other hand, didn't Rhothy nomintate YOU??

Old December 14, 2003, 20:27   #27
Tassadar500
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
Pardon me for being oblivious, but if this position was already being held by Rhoth, why replace him?

Dominae
The main reasons are as follows:

1. The AU just got it's own forum. I felt like we needed to discuss more things as a group.

2. I felt I needed to give everyone a chance.

Theseus are you going to run for it?
Old December 15, 2003, 00:33   #28
Theseus
Emperor

Nope... due to RL and whatnot, I am too sporadic. But thanks for asking. I'll chime in wherever... a power in and of itself.

I am very happy, though, that there are so many excellent candidates.

Old December 15, 2003, 01:45   #29
MrWhereItsAt
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae

...although I would endeavour to make AU as broad and accessible as possible, I might not be able to go beyond my own personal biases regarding the game.

Dominae
Of course you could. It might just take us a long and difficult time convincing you otherwise.