Old June 2, 2004, 04:30   #361
Mountain Sage
PtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 14:15
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Typically, on archipelago maps, you should be able to keep the tech lead by trading techs for gold and research at 80-100%.
The big drawback of the GLib is that it gives you a feeling of staying ahead of the pack while in reality at least one civ can go far ahead of you in techs, and possibly two...

In my play, I am the first in the Medieval Ages and I am researching Feudalism. I will switch to it then as to keep my research at 100% and have all the military for free. This government is not the best one, I admit, but for a conquest game it should be sufficient.
I have the same 'problem' that others. I can't get a MGL and I am militaristic!
Where can I check in the editor if I switched off the GL creation? (I'm pretty sure I didn't since I don't know where to look!).
Old June 2, 2004, 04:45   #362
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

Local Time: 00:15
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Well Mahi reported getting an MGL, so I guess we're just exceptionally unlucky

Re-Organisation of remaining C3C PBEMS
Aqualung71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 2, 2004, 16:41   #363
mahi
Settler

It is 1370AD now. The GL just became obsolete, giving me Education and Chemistry as the final techs. Germany is gone now and the battle with the Americans gave me two MGL in one turn. This has never happend in any of my previous games. It seems that all the missing leaders from you guys are put in my game . The Americans will have a bad time from now on facing my Knight-Army +MI-Army. I do not know now how I will fill my third army. The Pentagon is not far away, so my northern neighbours are also not very safe any more .
Is there any connection with military strength getting a leader ? I am always weak in military compared to my enemies. When I got the MGLs I assumed that the AI never has more than 4 - 5 units as defence in a city, so my offence consisted of one MI-Army, 12 trebs, 2 elite-Knights, 1 veteran knight and 1 elite MI. I bombarded the city with the trebs tearing down the defence. The Army killed two defenders. The remaining two defenders were taken out by the elite MI and the veteran knight. The Americans moved some units close to this city the turn before and I attacked with my two remaining elite knights and both gave me a MGL.
mahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 3, 2004, 05:19   #364
Mountain Sage
King

Quote:
Originally posted by mahi
It seems that all the missing leaders from you guys are put in my game
You exchange ML? 3 for 1 in next game. Good prices, good quality. You get extra civ for free.
PLEASE......
Old June 3, 2004, 07:20   #365
mahi
Settler

Stalin is still available. He is waiting for some cavalries which will be ready in a few years only. I could afford him. More or less it does not matter anymore. Give me the address where to send him. Cairo ?
Old June 4, 2004, 04:58   #366
Mountain Sage
King

Finally I managed to get a ML after 20+ elite wins. Thanks mahi anyway. That army will wait for Knights (soon around...).
Old June 4, 2004, 05:04   #367
Aqualung71
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversC3CDG Desolation Row
Emperor

I finally got one too, during the sack of the Sumerian capital which was the cultural leader with 5000 points and 5 wonders. That should stop there research efforts pretty well. Then created a cavalry army, left the city, abandoned it, and moved on towards the next Sumerian target. Not because we needed to, but because the Galleons had already departed for home leaving the suicide Cavalry squads to their fate (unbeknownst to them!).

Old June 4, 2004, 09:21   #368
Mountain Sage
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Aqualung71
I finally got one too, during the sack of the Sumerian capital which was the cultural leader with 5000 points and 5 wonders. That should stop there research efforts pretty well. Then created a cavalry army, left the city, abandoned it, and moved on towards the next Sumerian target.

you abandoned a city with 5 wonders?
Old June 6, 2004, 14:12   #369
Aqualung71
Emperor

The flip chances were obscene and it was so far away as to be a rather pointless acquisition.....so yes. It was not worth the chance of a flip compared to how badly it would nerf my only serious rival with the loss of their capital. Anyway, I quite like destroying 5-wonder AI cities. Learned it from Theseus

Old June 6, 2004, 15:28   #370
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 10:15
By the time you have gotten to raze a 5 wonder city you really don't need it. If it is a big metro (and it probably is), I may not want to commit that many troops to prevent a flip.

If I was stopping my drive anyway, then I can try to hold it, otherwise burn it.

If they have 5 wonders, I am playing at a high level and they will have more culture than me more often than not and I am likely to be far from my homeland.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 6, 2004, 23:14   #371
Aqualung71
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
By the time you have gotten to raze a 5 wonder city you really don't need it. If it is a big metro (and it probably is), I may not want to commit that many troops to prevent a flip.

If they have 5 wonders, I am playing at a high level and they will have more culture than me more often than not and I am likely to be far from my homeland.
Yep, exactly my point. IIRC, the flipcalc told me that I'd need something like 110 troops to prevent a flip in the short term and I had something like a 50% flip chance in 10 turns. I've had cities flip with a fraction of that percentage before - the potential benefit of the wonders just wasn't part of the decision. In fact, I didn't even pay attention to which ones they were because it didn't matter to me!

Old June 7, 2004, 05:50   #372
Mountain Sage
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Aqualung71
Learned it from Theseus
he and Arrian are not the best examples of PP gameplayers, you know...
Old June 7, 2004, 06:05   #373
Aqualung71
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mountain Sage

he and Arrian are not the best examples of PP gameplayers, you know...
Who said I had ambitions to be a PP?

Actually, I've heard rumours that you were supposed to be one, but my reading of your games say otherwise!

Old June 7, 2004, 12:17   #374
Goethe80
Chieftain

forum noob question.. whats a PP ?
Goethe80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7, 2004, 12:21   #375
Krill
lifer
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering StormC4DG The Mercenary TeamC4WDG The GooniesC4BtSDG TemplarsC4BtSDG ImperioC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4BtSDG Team BananaC4BtSDG Realms BeyondC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Deity

Local Time: 15:15
Perfect peacenik

Ie switzerland...
Old June 8, 2004, 05:39   #376
Mountain Sage
King

Aqualung71,

Don't believe in what you read (or hear). My Sid win was a PP game, after all...

In all my other games won by conquest or domination, there was never talk of wars, just 'extended military police operations' or maybe some 'forced religious conversions'.

Goethe80,

A PP game is one in which you never declare war and nobody declares war on you. Basically, it relies on you being ahead in the tech race and on your superior diplomatic skills. Of course, if you plan to play a PP game, you should carefully choose your map. Usually, I end up with fewer than 10 military units (except maybe some ships as lookouts),
It is a rewarding way of playing in the sense that you can hone other skills than your military startegy.
It's another way of looking at this game, which relies heavily on 'Desert Storm' tactics to win. You also can inspire 'shock and awe' by winning it diplomatically or by the space race and a 6-8 tech lead.
Now that it looks that you can play (and win) up to Sid...
Old June 10, 2004, 06:04   #377
Mountain Sage
King

If somebody wants to post some AAR's and screenshots, I believe you can do it. Most players will have discovered the map and its surprises by now...

Since I am still in the Medieval Times, I will post mine later.
Old June 15, 2004, 08:39   #378
mahi
Settler

I think I will be able to finish the game during the next weekend. I am one tech away from the Modern Age and it is already abt. 1990, so it will not take much more additonal time.
Old June 16, 2004, 19:21   #379
GeorgeWang
Settler

Local Time: 06:15
Hmm, I just got back into playing Civilization. First game I tried a quick monarch, emperor seems interesting. Looks like this'll be alot of fun.

Last edited by GeorgeWang; June 16, 2004 at 19:35.
GeorgeWang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17, 2004, 06:21   #380
Mountain Sage
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GeorgeWang
Hmm, I just got back into playing Civilization. First game I tried a quick monarch, emperor seems interesting. Looks like this'll be alot of fun.
Welcome back.
You will find lots of emperor games in this thread, including some 'fancy' maps. Help yourself and keep us posted.
Don't forget the AU courses!

Last edited by Mountain Sage; June 18, 2004 at 09:54.
Mountain Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21, 2004, 08:43   #381
mahi
Settler

Mother Russia started quite well. The first warrior started to search for neighbors to the south and found the Germans while the second Hero of the nation found the Incas to the north. Both brave warriors built themselves a nice datcha in their final destinations near the cities of our neighbors not allowing anybody to enter Russian soil from the north or south giving their Czar some nice land to build a few more cities. When the Russian people learned to write some curraghs left their harbours to see what the world has to offer. The Russian sailors were welcomed to many other tribes, friendly as well as not that friendly ones. While exploring the world a question arose, how much vodka did the creator of this world have when creating it ?
The southern neighbour of Russia became naughty and had to be punished. Bismarck's capitol was near a fine Russian city full of enthusiastic soldiers, so it was not that a clever move to try to step over the border. A few years later Berlin was under control of Russian forces and Bismarck had to look for another home. As time went by again and again foreign tribes tried to enter Russian territory. All were heavily punished, so the Germans, Americans, Iroquois, French, Portuguese, Incas, Dutch, Koreans and almost the Spanish vanished from this world. During the fights many elite soldiers were promoted to generals, about 9 of them led victorious armies. In the end 8 civs were left on this world with Russia having the biggest part with 35% of the world area. Originally the Czar wanted to have about double of this, but found it too difficult to achieve this goal as some wars lasted just too long. In 2026 Shaka built the United Nations, but he did not call for the vote as he must have feared the Russian Czar becoming the leader of the world having good relations to most of the remaining statesmen, so Shaka preferred to continue punishing his neighbors and he must have been astonished to note that the Russians were the ruler of the world in 2050.

It was a cool game. Thanks MS. Just my second game on Emperor. What I learned is that I have to improve fighting the early wars as these took me too long. The leader generation was really strange. The percentage of getting a MGL from my elites was very high. Sometimes I could not create an army as I did not have enough cities. The techrace was quite slow. The pacemakers were the Zulus, Indians and Chinese. I did not trade that much. Most of the time I sold older techs to smaller civs enabling me to keep up with the Zulus. The final score was 2805. Not that much, but I was happy that I won it. Unfortunately I missed the UN by 2 turns which would have enabled me to win the game a little earlier. This was the only great wonder I tried to build.
Old June 22, 2004, 00:39   #382
Dactyl
Warlord

I'm trying to improve my Emperor level skills. I'm playing the Celts almost exclusively and I'm doing pretty well in the early game, but I'm lagging way behind in the middle game. I find that by mid-game, though I'm the largest civ, or close to it, in terms of pop, I tend to be way behind in tech. For example, there will be at least a couple of other civs that have cavalry when I don't even have gunpowder yet. Are there any example games I can look at?
Dactyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2004, 01:02   #383
Aqualung71
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dactyl
Are there any example games I can look at?
Sure there are....you can start by looking at almost any game posted in this entire thread. There are a bunch of action reports by various people that have played them - that should help you with comparisons.

Also, I suggest you post a save of your game so someone can take a look at it and give you some pointers....though it sounds like you're doing pretty well

My first suggestion just from what you've posted, is....stop playing the Celts! Yes, they have a real kick-arse UU and the Ag trait is great, but you should be developing your civ skills more broadly by playing with other traits and less powerful UU's.

Old June 27, 2004, 19:19   #384
Dactyl
Warlord

Here's a question I have. At the beginning of the game, one expands as rapidly as possible. Soon there's no more land to expand to nearby because it's all been appropriated by you and the AI. At that point, I generally go to war to seize more land and to weaken the AI opponents around me. I like to play a religious civilization and I switch to feudalism when I get it in order to facilitate my conquests. I don't generally care to pursue a domination victory, so at some point I want to consolidate what I have and go to a republic or democracy. Is there an agreed-upon rule of thumb as to when I should do this? This is the biggest problem I currently have when playing on the empire level.
Old June 27, 2004, 19:21   #385
Dactyl
Warlord

In the above post, I meant to say emperor level.
Old June 27, 2004, 22:46   #386
Aqualung71
Emperor

Feudalism is not a very popular choice, and most players would opt for Monarchy as their early war-mongering government except under specific circumstances....although of course it does require you to research an optional tech.

An early Republic switch is often worth considering as an alternative to Monarchy/Feudalism, due to the boost to commerce and lower corruption. You can even go to war under Republic for a reasonable period of time if you're careful, particularly if you have sufficient luxury resources available.

The key to succeeding early under Republic is to have reached city size in at least some of your settlements (ie, pop of 7 or above). The unit support costs under Republic are quite high - 2gpt - and this can cripple your economy if you switch too early. Every town is allowed 1 free unit, but every city is allowed 3 free units. This means that every time a size 6 town graduates to a size 7 city, you save 4gpt. This can be very significant in a reasonable sized empire. Early Marketplaces are also quite important under Republic, both for the cash boost and the happiness boost if you have 3 or more luxuries.

If you have delayed your switch from Feudalism/Monarchy such that you already have Democracy available, then a switch to Democracy is almost always better than Republic, unless you intend to go to war for an extended period of time.

Old June 29, 2004, 01:30   #387
Mountain Sage
King

Well, friends, please find below a short story of Ragnar’s adventures (from the SerpentWorld) …

3250BC:
We just had time to establish our first village and start some irrigation to feed our hungry people, when we discovered some half-men barbarious tribes clinging to the mountainslopes north of us. We will organize a raiding party and offer their hearts toOdin. In he meantime, our would-be explorers are heading south on their makeshift boat. Our so-called sages are researching Writing. It seems that thoughts and deeds hewn in stone are more perennial than those spoken in the wind…
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	3250bc.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	128.9 KB
ID:	77037  
Old June 29, 2004, 01:30   #388
Mountain Sage
King

double post
Old June 29, 2004, 01:36   #389
Mountain Sage
King

1910BC:
Ah, well, those barbarians will stay holed up in their mountain a bit longer, after all. They are not the only ones. Our resources are better used to expand our empire. In the meantime, we discovered more ‘advanced’ tribes, the ottomans, the Koreans, the Indians and many more.
They are all happy to trade with us. Our sages know now, BW, Pottery, the Wheel, WC and CB.
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1910bc.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	77042  
Old June 29, 2004, 01:37   #390
Mountain Sage
King

1125BC:
This is a really funny land, our explorers say. Full of riches, other more or less advanced tribes and great landscapes, as this one…
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	1125bc.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	95.2 KB
ID:	77043