Old December 9, 2003, 14:01   #1
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I'm being talked about on other FORUMS!
I routinely do searches on my full name just to see if I am anywhere on the internet... usually, a letter or two that I've written in to newspapers finds it way to search engines, but today, I found my name mentioned on some other forums!

Even though the person was using me as an example of "partisanship" in a letter I wrote attacking dopey conservatives, I still am honored. I also find it ironic because I'm not a Democrat... but then again, judging from this person's writing, they aren't the brightest bulb in the bunch.

Here I am:

http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=%22...=20&fl=0&x=wrt

Quote:
I also love how the dems are getting so pissed off that he went. I also love how they got so pissed off when he boarded the aircraft carrier to make a speach. They hate it because it ruins their propaganda. It was a great morale boost at a time when the troops need it most. Thats a sign of a good leader.

This isn't quite on topic, but I wanted to share it anyway. It's a letter written to my local newspaper, and I thought this guy made some excellent points. The paper's website is dailyherald.com

OK to oppose war - but in a civil way
I am opposed to the war in Iraq, but I am flabbergasted by the comments of many of my fellow war opponents, such as those voiced by Sava Matevich in a Fence Post letter Nov. 14.

The letter starts out sounding well enough, calling for an "ongoing debate ... in a civil way." But the letter goes on to call the Bush administration "immoral and dishonest." Hey, that's some definition of the term "civil debate"!

This is all too characteristic of liberal Democrats over the past 10 to 20 years. It is OK for them to call those who disagree with them evil, mean-spirited fascists - Neanderthals was the term used the other day by Sen. Ted Kennedy.

The blatant partisanship of many war opponents was beautifully exposed in Robert Graham's letter of the same day. As he points out, Bill Clinton and several leading Democrats have been talking about Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass destruction for years, but only when President Bush says it does it become a lie.

It is one thing to argue, as I would, that Saddam's regime did not pose a significant enough risk to warrant military action. However, it seems quite disingenuous to claim, after the fact, that the administration knew that the weapons did not exist (and they may very well still be found, as Graham points out).

I am proud of the fact that the president hasn't lowered himself to the level of so many of his opponents by engaging in name-calling.

Steve Spowert

Naperville

anyone else have such a "claim to fame"?
Old December 9, 2003, 14:03   #2
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 10:16
Sounds like you claimed to be initiating civil debate and then launched some of your ad hom's, and somebody called you on it. Good for them.

Be proud, Sava. Be very proud.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 9, 2003, 14:05   #3
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Honored? Claim to fame?
Old December 9, 2003, 14:06   #4
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Arrian: Not at all... I'll post my letter

Quote:
I could not believe the absurdity of the venomous attacks in Bill Ott’s Nov. 6th letter to the editor. Mr. Ott released a flood of offensive filth aimed at the Daily Herald, Democrats, the media, and everyone else who disagrees with his hawkish views. Instead of trying to contribute to the ongoing debate concerning the Iraq situation in a civil way, Mr. Ott does nothing but spew ad hominem attacks.

Under this president, our military capabilities have been spread thin in a fruitless hunt for a dictator who posed little threat to the American people. The campaign of misinformation and fear that this administration engaged in was immoral and dishonest. Saddam should have been removed, but with the full will, support, and power of the entire world behind us.

This president failed to build such a coalition and now has America stuck bearing most of the cost and responsibility. Our involvement and image as invading occupiers is fueling a growth in terrorist activity and anger in the Islamic World. Even George Bush Sr. knew about the dangers of going into Iraq and engaging in this type of conflict.

And I quote, “I firmly believed we should not march into Baghdad ...To occupy Iraq would instantly shatter our coalition, turning the whole Arab world against us and make a broken tyrant, into a latter-day Arab hero …assigning young soldiers to a fruitless hunt for a securely entrenched dictator and condemning them to fight in what would be an unwinnable urban guerrilla war.” This is from George Bush Sr.’s book “A World Transformed.”

Our president is responsible for this mess. This is not about partisan politics. Democrats have been the most outspoken critics, but even Republican leaders like John McCain are criticizing the president and his policies. Whether it be Republican or Democrat, we need a change in leadership at the highest levels of our government.

I would like to applaud the Daily Herald for presenting a broad range of opposing views concerning these current events. You do not hurt America, its military, or anyone else with your coverage and exposure of a multitude of opinions. You are the very essence of what freedom of speech is. If we let censorship and belligerent nationalism destroy our freedoms, then the American people have truly lost.

As for Mr. Ott, I suppose he should call Ann Coulter and ask for a job.
I didn't insult anybody... It's not my fault these conservatives can't read. But I am proud that I get their panties in a bunch.
Old December 9, 2003, 14:07   #5
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SlowwHand
Honored? Claim to fame?
I'm sure they have sarcasm in Texas... I know it's a backwards ass state... but still...
Old December 9, 2003, 14:09   #6
Spec
Emperor

Local Time: 14:16
Old December 9, 2003, 14:11   #7
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Not a bad letter, Sava.

Your opponent certainly tried to make a mountain out of a molehill. I merely assumed there was more to it, since I'm only familiar with you here at 'poly, and well, come on, you know how you are here

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 9, 2003, 14:14   #8
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

That letter was so uncharacteristically you. You should post it in that forum, btw.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 9, 2003, 14:15   #9
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
Not a bad letter, Sava.

Your opponent certainly tried to make a mountain out of a molehill. I merely assumed there was more to it, since I'm only familiar with you here at 'poly, and well, come on, you know how you are here

-Arrian
ty...

I don't blame you though... I do act like an ass here. The internet is where I like to express my more impulsive and angry emotions. But my letters to newspapers are usually very refined and devoid of personal attack. My days here have taught me to harness that negative energy into somewhat rational expressions of my opinions.
Old December 9, 2003, 14:17   #10
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
That letter was so uncharacteristically you. You should post it in that forum, btw.
yeah, I registered, but it's a forum for women. I just wanted to set the record straight. Even though I probably am everything that conservative woman thinks, she couldn't possibly tell that from my letter or that guy's response to it.

In fact, he said I called Bush "immoral and dishonest" which is wrong. I called his campaign of misinformation "immoral and dishonest". I also don't think my letter was particularly partisan. I mentioned opponents from both sides of the aisle, as well as saying a change of leadership, regardless of party, is needed.

Maybe I should become some sort of social commentator. I'm pretty good at crafting out letters like that.
Old December 9, 2003, 14:19   #11
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:16
It looks like I have been discussed in senate Beat that

http://www.facultysenate.uc.edu/02.11.99.htm

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old December 9, 2003, 14:20   #12
Theben
Deity

You should be proud, sava. Oh, so very proud.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old December 9, 2003, 14:20   #13
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

you suck provo!
Old December 9, 2003, 14:21   #14
Arrian
Deity

If the man is running an "immoral and dishonest" disinformation campaign, the man is immoral and dishonest. So you did call him that. Just not directly.

-Arrian

Old December 9, 2003, 14:34   #15
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
If the man is running an "immoral and dishonest" disinformation campaign, the man is immoral and dishonest. So you did call him that. Just not directly.

-Arrian
regardless... Mr. Spowert misquoted me and mischaracterized my statements as partisan. I clearly stated a change of leadership was needed, whether it be Republican or Democrat.

Imagine for a moment if George Bush Sr. was in office. While I would disagree with tax cuts and still rail on him for a poor economy, if Bush Sr. would have had the same international support he had in '91, I probably would not be as opposed to the war as I am now. I still have problems with some of the arguments that we are fighting the war on terror in Iraq. I agree with General Wesley Clark that this war is a distraction from attacking Al Qaeda. But my position has always been that getting Saddam was right, but not without international support. America should not have to bear the entire cost and responsibility if this dictator was such a threat. And if he was such a threat, it illustrates Dubya's ineptitude in building a true international coalition.
Old December 9, 2003, 14:49   #16
Arrian
Deity

nevermind.

Old December 9, 2003, 14:50   #17
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Old December 9, 2003, 14:56   #18
Gatekeeper
Mac
King

Local Time: 08:16
Good job, Sava. Glad to see you're participating in grass-roots democracy by writing a decent letter to the editor. Considering some of the material that gets into our Letters to the Editor, yours was almost academic in nature.

Gatekeeper

"Wheresoever you go, go with all your heart." — Confucius
Old December 9, 2003, 14:58   #19
Berzerker
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava

I do act like an ass here.
An ignorant one too
Old December 10, 2003, 00:14   #20
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 07:16
and I thought I was parnoid. Jeez
Old December 10, 2003, 01:34   #21
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
The campaign of misinformation and fear that this administration engaged in was immoral and dishonest.
This isn't an insult?
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 10, 2003, 01:44   #22
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 14:16
Not a personal once.
Old December 10, 2003, 02:28   #23
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

I think it's a stretch to the say it isn't.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 10, 2003, 07:17   #24
Ned
King

Local Time: 06:16
"There are numerous other people that contributed in discussions of AI development at Apolyton and I'd like to thank them all. I especially owe thanks to Ned's work with developing a more powerful AI. If you are surprised at how much better the 'AI' performs in Aldebaran, thank Ned!"

http://www.geocities.com/alde_baron/