Old December 9, 2003, 14:58   #1
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 10:16
Local Date: November 2, 2010
AU mod: The Cure for Cancer
The problem:

A Wonder of the World should provide the builder with a noticeable advantage. The Cure for Cancer does not have that effect in the game because with it comes at a time when most cities have marketplaces and access to multiple luxuries, so a single happy citizen rarely makes a difference.

As with Longevity, it’s almost always better to spend those 1000 shields to complete 3-4 spaceship parts or to build some extra Modern Armor units.

Possible solution:

Increase the number of happy citizens for the Cure for Cancer to 3.

This change worked well in the PTW version of the AU mod. The Cure for Cancer becomes a worthwhile Wonder for empires without access to enough luxuries. The AI usually has more happiness problems than the human, so it would benefit from the change.

What do you think of the Cure for Cancer? Any ideas?
Old December 9, 2003, 15:24   #2
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 15:16
I liked this change in the PtW mod version, and I'll like it even more in the C3C version, given the greater scarcity of luxuries. A 'virtual' 5th or 6th luxury (provided I've built marketplaces all over the country) is not to be sneezed at.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old December 9, 2003, 15:47   #3
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Agreed. 1 is far too few, and 3 seems just right, especially with the lux scarcity of C3C.
Old December 9, 2003, 17:09   #4
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
The lux scarcity is there for a reason... how about we start with 2 happy?

/me the AU Conservative
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Old December 10, 2003, 07:30   #5
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:16
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I've never ever built the CfC (have only once got the ability to!), but is this change actually necessary seeing as C3C sees fewer resources? Especially at the end, when you get larger and larger empires, lux can just get too expensive, making the CfC potentially a goldmine.

Just questioning the value of this change with C3C from those who have built the CfC - if you have, let us know how useful it was with the new lux ratios.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old December 10, 2003, 12:45   #6
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Theseus
The lux scarcity is there for a reason... how about we start with 2 happy?
The Hanging Gardens give +1 happy face in every city for 300 shields (and become obsolete two ages later), Bach's Cathedral gives +2 happy faces for 600 shields (and never becomes obsolete). Cure for Cancer costs 1000 shields, so +3 happy faces seems reasonable to me.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old December 10, 2003, 15:12   #7
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

A reasonable argument.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Last edited by Theseus; December 10, 2003 at 18:18.
Old December 10, 2003, 15:18   #8
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

*grumble* I had a long post in favor of +3 happy faces when the 'poly database error ate it. That said, lockstep's argument is even more straightforward than mine, so I'll just go with that
Old December 11, 2003, 00:24   #9
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Now that we have a panel, we can start making decisions:

AU mod panel members, you have 24 hours to vote:
  • "Yes" to increase happy faces for Cure for Cancer to 3.
  • "No" to make no change.

If the majority votes "No", we will have a new vote on a different proposal (2 happy faces).

My vote: YES!
Old December 11, 2003, 00:37   #10
ZargonX
Emperor

My Vote: Yes yes yes!
Old December 11, 2003, 01:54   #11
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

YES.
Old December 11, 2003, 09:27   #12
Stuie
King

Yes.
Old December 11, 2003, 16:08   #13
Theseus
Emperor

Yes.