View Poll Results: Pick your top 3 civ choices.
Celts 9 11.69%
Chinese 4 5.19%
Dutch 12 15.58%
French 3 3.90%
India 7 9.09%
Iroquois 13 16.88%
Koreans 8 10.39%
Maya 8 10.39%
Sumerians 8 10.39%
Vikings 5 6.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 77. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old December 9, 2003, 21:57   #1
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Local Time: 10:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What Civ? (the real poll)
What Civ?

You get three votes - and three votes only. We will see where this takes us. The list inludes all civs mentioned or suggested in the civ discussion thread. If I have missed any I apologize.

And feel free to keep the debate going.

Last edited by Beta; December 10, 2003 at 13:00.
Old December 9, 2003, 22:38   #2
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Local Time: 07:18
Iroquois - Celts - Dutch in that order. Notice the common theme of agriculture.
Old December 9, 2003, 22:56   #3
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 01:18
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Iroquois - French - Maya

There are 10 teams in this game.
It might be hard to get the civ we want.
Old December 9, 2003, 23:48   #4
Kloreep
C3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Hot_Enamel
Iroquois - French - Maya

Doesn't mean we shouldn't go for our truely top choices though. We can always create a longer list to go down if need be.
Old December 10, 2003, 00:18   #5
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Sorry H_E, I just can not be the French, its a R/Lm thing.......

I will research this and get back to this poll
Old December 10, 2003, 00:57   #6
Hot_Enamel
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Kloreep

Doesn't mean we shouldn't go for our truely top choices though. We can always create a longer list to go down if need be.
Absolutely...wasnt suggesting anything else.
It was just a general comment.

@ Con
Old December 10, 2003, 01:28   #7
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Picking the Dutch makes you a huge target in the Ancient era...

Dominae
Old December 10, 2003, 03:28   #8
Rhothaerill
supporter
C4DG SarantiumPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 TabemonoInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolyton UniversityCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG Huygen's UnionC3CDG Euphorica
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Dominae
Picking the Dutch makes you a huge target in the Ancient era...

Dominae
The same could generally be said of the Iroquois or the Vikings or any number of civs. I'd rather choose our civ on what makes for a strong nation than what makes for not being a target.
Old December 10, 2003, 03:48   #9
Vander
ACDG The Human HivePtWDG2 SunshineAlpha Centauri Democracy GameMacCivilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 Morgan
Prince

But isn't the ancient era rather important here? If another civ thinks we are weak and attacks, we'll be at a disadvantage for the rest of the game.
and then refusing to decide
Old December 10, 2003, 05:33   #10
jim_steer
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 14:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Hot_Enamel
Surely as there are going to be 2 games we are only competing with 5 teams for our civ of choice.
Old December 10, 2003, 07:25   #11
Hot_Enamel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by jim_steer

Surely as there are going to be 2 games we are only competing with 5 teams for our civ of choice.
Blah !!

Didn't know that.
Old December 10, 2003, 08:08   #12
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:18
I would go for Byzantines, then Chinese and Iroquois.

Another choice I would go for is the Celts. I am not voting at present because my top choice, the Byzantines, is not there.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old December 10, 2003, 10:40   #13
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by jim_steer

H_E, you not knowing that is my fault, I have been meaning to get an "INFO" thread up and going.

Thats why I need you guys to keep making polls and reaching these decisions.

Its abusy time and I need all the help I can get!

In a nutshell, there are 10 teams in the IDG.

We start out with 2 games of 5 teams each.

The 3 remaining survivors of the first two games proceed to the final game. So the second game will be compose dof the top 6 teams.

Being discussed but not finalized yet is when do the first games STOP, general consensus seems to be when the game gets to the point of only three teams left. As opposed to playing til the end game.

The other thing being discussed but not finalized is lets say two teams want the same CIV, then just put them into the two different games, so there is a possibility that two teams can have the same Civ.

With that being said and this is con's humble opinion here, in the initial game we should go with one of the more warmonger Civ's because if we aren't ready to wipe out another CIV or at least throw back an attack and then wipe out the attacker we probably wont make it to game 2. But again this last paragraph is my opinion.
Old December 10, 2003, 11:54   #14
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Rhothaerill
The same could generally be said of the Iroquois or the Vikings or any number of civs. I'd rather choose our civ on what makes for a strong nation than what makes for not being a target.
There's a major difference between the strong Ancient-era civs (Egypt, Iroquois, etc.) and the strong Medieval-era civs (China, Dutch).

As we all know, attacking your neighbors in PBEM play is less of a question of where and how but when. With the prospect of Riders of Swiss Mercs. on the horizon for your opponents, you would be far more likely to press any advantage you have (or think you have) before the Medieval, in order to prevent disaster when you're outmatched later on.

The same logic would seem to apply to early-game civs, but it actually breaks down. It's quite difficult to mount any serious early rush against the Iroquois, Celts or whatever before they get a chance to fight back with their UUs. In fact, it's much easier to play the diplomatic game and hope to weather the storm that meet it head on (a good case in point is Persia and their Immortals...heh).

So, yes, I do believe going with the Dutch paints a huge target on us for the Ancient era.

Dominae
Old December 10, 2003, 12:57   #15
Beta
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III PBEMPtWDG2 MonkeyC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamIron CiversCivilization IV PBEMCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamDiploGamesInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG TemplarsC3CDG Team Babylon
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
I would go for Byzantines, then Chinese and Iroquois.

Another choice I would go for is the Celts. I am not voting at present because my top choice, the Byzantines, is not there.
Sorry if I missed it in the other thread MWIA.

If anybody else wants to vote for the Byzantines - please vote twice above and for the Byz. in th post. We will record it.
Old December 10, 2003, 13:02   #16
Beta
lifer
Deity

Zulu - Russians - Mongols.
Old December 10, 2003, 18:23   #17
Hot_Enamel
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by conmcb25

H_E, you not knowing that is my fault, I have been meaning to get an "INFO" thread up and going.

In a nutshell, there are 10 teams in the IDG.

The 3 remaining survivors of the first two games proceed to the final game. So the second game will be compose dof the top 6 teams.

Being discussed but not finalized yet is when do the first games STOP, general consensus seems to be when the game gets to the point of only three teams left. As opposed to playing til the end game.

The other thing being discussed but not finalized is lets say two teams want the same CIV, then just put them into the two different games, so there is a possibility that two teams can have the same Civ.

With that being said and this is con's humble opinion here, in the initial game we should go with one of the more warmonger Civ's because if we aren't ready to wipe out another CIV or at least throw back an attack and then wipe out the attacker we probably wont make it to game 2. But again this last paragraph is my opinion.
Con,

No problems. It is difficult, and we have started late.

Just a point though. If the first game is to only survive as one of the last three, then this will completely change the dynamics of the PBEM.

Only 2 teams need to be eliminated.
We should be choosing a civ, with a kick ass ancient era offensive or defensive unit.

Greece / Egypt etc etc all all valid choices.

So, if this first game is not about winning, just about surviving the ancient age, (because 2 civs will be eliminated in the ancient age), then we need to pick our civ accordingly. A strong ancient age civ.
Old December 10, 2003, 18:29   #18
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

H_E we may also want to consider an ancient age powerhouse that does NOT require strategic Resources with the funky distribution of resources in conquests.

Because my guess is there maybe some resource leveling of the map and making sure no one gets a real crappy starting location but that about all Im seeing right now in the discussion threads at CDG.

And if my goal is to survive, then Im going to need a REALLY good reason to trade off a monopoly in strategic resources. Or Im screwed if my Ancient UU needs a resource that I dont have.

This one may turn out to be a real war monger PBEM, for the first game H_E, sounds right up your alley

Last edited by conmcb25; December 10, 2003 at 19:33.
Old December 11, 2003, 06:02   #19
jim_steer
Civilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 14:18
Sumerians have a nice, very early, very cheap defensive UU in the Enkidu Warrior (1.2.1 - 10S). Might be quite handy for defending against and supporting archer rushes.
Old December 11, 2003, 10:04   #20
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 08:18
Are we going to have a run-off?
Old December 11, 2003, 12:08   #21
ZargonX
PtWDG LegolandInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 MorganC4DG SarantiumCiv4 SP Democracy GameApolyCon 06 ParticipantsBtS Tri-LeagueApolyton UniversityPtWDG2 TabemonoC4WDG Huygen's Union
Emperor

Please put me down for 1 vote for the Byzantine.
Old December 11, 2003, 14:09   #22
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

Based on this new info about two demogames with only three of five civs moving on I formally withdraw my vote for the Dutch. We'll need an early powerhouse.
Old December 11, 2003, 18:48   #23
wervdon
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Prince

I agree, I voted dutch, koreans, and mayans, but given that this is going come down to ancient/early midevil age elimination those are poor choices.

I think we should probally run this poll again since probally alot of people voted assuming we'd be playing 1 game all the way through.....

In any case given the way this will work, I think I'll vote:

Iroquis
Persia

or any other civ with an offensive ancient/early midevil age unit.
Old December 11, 2003, 19:14   #24
Hot_Enamel
Emperor

Here is the note from Con

Quote:
This is an overall report on the current number of teams and how we are going to play the game(s)

In a nutshell there are 10 teams in the IDG.

Signed Up Teams:
1.) CDG
2.) Civ3 Players Ladder
3.) Civ3 Brasil
4.) Gamecatcher
5.) Civ Gaming Network
6.) Civilization Webring (German)
7.) CivFanatics Center
8.) Civ3 Duel Zone
9.) Apolyton
10.) Batrachos team (French)

The 3 remaining survivors of the first two games proceed to the final game. So the second game will be composed of the top 6 teams.

Another thing being discussed is whether both initial maps will have the same settings or not.
I agree... we need a re-poll
Even the Iroquois may not be the best civ.
We would be gambling on having horses.
Perhaps it's not best to rely on the fickle resorce allocation of C3C, and go for a civ with an early UU that needs no resources ?

Re-Poll !!!
Old December 12, 2003, 01:49   #25
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Should I just have MWIA close this and put up a poll with all 31 CIV's?

How do you guys want to do this, we DO have some time on this one.
Old December 12, 2003, 02:06   #26
Rhothaerill
supporter
Emperor

I would rather re-poll. We started this one not knowing about the two game thing. My first choice remains, but the others I might not have chosen.
Old December 12, 2003, 02:14   #27
conmcb25
inmate
Deity

Ok just put all 31 civs up then?

Who wants to volunteer and do this, Im off to beddie bye land right now and Im going to be up to my armpits in polls tomorrow (er today! I got to get to sleep!)

However does this should get one of those summaries of all the new civs and existing civs with and without changes and post a link.
Old December 17, 2003, 00:51   #28
Togas
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 SunshineC3CDG The Lost BoysC4DG The Mercenary TeamPtWDG RoleplayC3C IDG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 06:18
I agree on a re-poll, given that our goal in the first game should be to eliminate 2 of the other teams (and to keep from being eliminated ourselves).

Iroquois, Celts, and Sumarians all get my vote.

--Togas
Heir to the lost throne of Spain of the Roleplay Team in the PTW Democracy Multiplayer Team Game.
Old December 18, 2003, 12:39   #29
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Do the two teams that get eliminated first from each game get to play a game of the four of them?
Old December 20, 2003, 13:12   #30
joncnunn
Civilization III Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC3CDG Team BabylonApolyton Storywriters' GuildCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 09:18
I'm thinking:

1. Mayas.
2. Carthage unless we are on Pangena.

I'd definately like to see us as at least one of Industrious and Agriculture.
Closed Thread