Old December 10, 2003, 01:02   #31
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Local Time: 10:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
And, one more thing:

BEERS FOR MIKE!!!
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 01:16   #32
MqsTout
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:18
I do hope the combat calc changs will be an OPTION. I'm one who likes the randomness of battles right now.

(I mean, afterall, look at the Zulu beating the Brits for one example many throughout history.)
MqsTout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 01:21   #33
H Tower
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontCivilization II Democracy GameNationStates

Good to see Firaxis can do something without making it a PR disaster

H Tower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 01:22   #34
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Thanks a bunch Jesse et al.!
Old December 10, 2003, 01:33   #35
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 16:18
Re: Re: Civ III: Conquests Patch Notice
Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

To me, that sounds like... HOLY SH!T, they've just changed the whole game. Better not fall behind in warfare tech...
It sounds like that yes... It is probably like an increeament of hitpoints, without loing any hitpoints if you dont lose at least 50% of the new multiplier...
It will be interesting to see how this turns out.
Old December 10, 2003, 01:45   #36
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 15:18
Great news!
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
lockstep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 01:47   #37
dexters
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

Local Time: 14:18
Good news. Corruption and doble gpt bug fixed.

I noticed that most of the fixes are housekeeping type stuff.

I hope the final update will include AI tweaks.
dexters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 01:49   #38
Vince278
King

(Thank-you Jesse!)
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 01:50   #39
MqsTout
Chieftain

Re: Re: Re: Civ III: Conquests Patch Notice
Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos

It sounds like that yes... It is probably like an increeament of hitpoints, without loing any hitpoints if you dont lose at least 50% of the new multiplier...
It will be interesting to see how this turns out.

Imagine how that would magnify things, if it is as that. Forget sometimes taking a Spearman-defended city with a few Warriors. Not to mention, people already complain about Cavalry vs Musketmen as it is. Test it out by upping all the units hitpoints now. I did that way back. It all but removes the randomness factor where the higher number nearly always wins.

Now what I'm HOPING it really is, is something that might help against those epic spearmen that somehow defend and kill eight midieval infantry in one turn, without taking a single HP of damage. Something about those "god units" they seem to do it over and over again, turn after turn for no apparent reason. The odds are there, but it happens too much to be true.
MqsTout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 01:54   #40
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
better yet, spare me the agony, Jesse, please post a screen of the BUSH world
BUSH world? Is that the President, the shrubbery, or the hair?
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
Old December 10, 2003, 02:07   #41
Kal-el
Warlord

Local Time: 06:18
excellent, smithers.
Kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 02:16   #42
ThaddeusAlexander
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince278

BUSH world? Is that the President, the shrubbery, or the hair?
Well one would be a world with lots of post-armageddon desert and the others would be just jungles ...

But wait, isn't 'dubya out the door soon?
Old December 10, 2003, 02:51   #43
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ThaddeusAlexander
Well one would be a world with lots of post-armageddon desert and the others would be just jungles ...

But wait, isn't 'dubya out the door soon?
I was hoping for the hair. I wouldn't count dubya out yet. He "won" once, he can do it again.

(Dubya always sounded like a Russian word to me. Maybe one of our Russian friends can tell us if it means anything.)
Old December 10, 2003, 03:34   #44
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:18
Quote:
(Dubya always sounded like a Russian word to me. Maybe one of our Russian friends can tell us if it means anything.)
Means: wreckless maniac warmonger.

/me ducks

btw, any editor changes? (or plans?) I've been kind of hoping for an option to set diplomatic and attitude levels.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Master Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 03:38   #45
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by JesseSmith
Combat System "Less Streaky"

The Change was having the random number generator (rng) calculate the Results 4 times instead of 1.

Possible Outcomes: AttackerLoses, AttackerWins

If there is a tie, it retries.

This forces the combat system to be more accurate and less "streaky"
More accurate...

Cavalry stop dead when they hit rifles. Expect to lose 5 cav to kill 2 defending rifles when attacking fortified rifles in a size 7 city. Expect to lose as many or more knights as you kill in pikes during Medieval warfare.

Walls will be severe impediments to any attack, but especially fast attacker blitzes.

Artillery will be the God of War, indeed.

Offensive warfare as a Republic, or God forbid, a democracy would be out of the question without overwhelming odds. Just defending yourself as a democracy could become a nightmare.

All I can say is, wow. Then I would ask, why? Surely there are better ways to fix the mythical tank vs spear situation than completely altering the game balance from dot.
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 03:44   #46
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Whohooo! My Christmas vacation is saved! God bless you, Firaxis! Three thumbs up!
Harovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 04:18   #47
chuckdelicious
Warlord

Good news indeed...except there's no mention of the rr bug.
chuckdelicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 04:21   #48
Harovan
staff

Quote:
"Dub" means oak tree. "Dubya" is not a Russian word.
Old December 10, 2003, 04:44   #49
RobC
Warlord

Local Time: 06:18
Wow...I'm very impressed. Kudos to Jesse and especially Mike B! I'm also interested to see how the 'less random' combat works out. Seems to me that this is a pretty significant change that might need to be an option...or perhaps a randomness 'slider' to select from 1 roll to N rolls (re-rolling ties) with a default at 4 rolls.
RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 04:50   #50
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

My reservations about averaged combat aside... yes, MikeB and the rest of the crews at BA and Firaxis do deserve some kudos.
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 05:03   #51
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
"Dub" means oak tree. "Dubya" is not a Russian word.
That helps. The part that sounded Russian to me was the -ya which is the backwards R in their alphabet. If the -ya doesn't modify the root word then I guess Dubya would be a nonsensical word in Russian (like Oakya makes no sense in English). Thanks.
Old December 10, 2003, 05:15   #52
Master Zen
PtWDG Glory of WarApolytoners Hall of FameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversPtWDG2 Latin LoversC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither

More accurate...

Cavalry stop dead when they hit rifles. Expect to lose 5 cav to kill 2 defending rifles when attacking fortified rifles in a size 7 city. Expect to lose as many or more knights as you kill in pikes during Medieval warfare.

Walls will be severe impediments to any attack, but especially fast attacker blitzes.

Artillery will be the God of War, indeed.

Offensive warfare as a Republic, or God forbid, a democracy would be out of the question without overwhelming odds. Just defending yourself as a democracy could become a nightmare.

All I can say is, wow. Then I would ask, why? Surely there are better ways to fix the mythical tank vs spear situation than completely altering the game balance from dot.
nye raises some very good points.

I will have to see this new system in action to see if it really does make the game more balanced, however, one has to admit that those "streaks" were not always to your favor.

Secretary General of the U.N. & IV Emperor of the Glory of War PTWDG | VIII Consul of Apolyton PTW ISDG | GoWman in Stormia CIVDG | Lurker Troll Extraordinaire C3C ISDG Final | V Gran Huevote Team Latin Lover | Webmaster Master Zen Online | CivELO (3°)
Master Zen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 05:27   #53
Harovan
staff

Is that maniac in your avatar you, MZ? Oh, and before you ask, the buxom blonde in mine is not me, and neither my wife.
Old December 10, 2003, 05:53   #54
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

First of all

This beta patch was always a great idea given the extent of a couple of problems (though I notice MWIA is still trying to imply they were minor 'issues' that may not ever have been fixed ), but nonetheless I admit I did not think the chances were high. I am rarely so happy to be mistaken.
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 06:01   #55
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

I didn't want to include the 'however' in a well deserved congratulatory post.

However, I am slightly perplexed by the combat change. I think we have all got used to the more variable combat results, which I thought were just due to the HP system in this game (and no firepower). Are Firaxis admiting there was always a problem with the way results were calculated, or have they just tried to alter something to counteract slightly the variability that the Civ3 model introduced?

From Jesse's remarks it seems like the second. Care should be taken however........we have all got used to Civ3 combat, and I don't think it is unbalanced. Sure sometimes units lose annoyingly, but people attack with strength in depth accordingly. Overall given the support model here the slightly more variable combat results have proven, over time, to not be the unbalancing force for evil that it was imagined they would be 2 years ago.

Also the timing puzzles me. Many people whinged about this for months and months. I think they were wrong and Firaxis were right (on this issue )........so why alter it now?

Only thing I can think of is to make SID even harder!

Please Jesse if you get chance provide us with whatever perspective you can on your thoughts with regard to this issue.
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 06:20   #56
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 16:18
thanks a lot for the beta patch!
thanks for listening to the wishes of the community!
thanks for a wonderful game
Old December 10, 2003, 08:46   #57
Stuie
King

WHERE'S THE SUBMARINE FIX!!!???

Specifically, when a non-hostile AI unit runs into a player's submarine, it results in a declaration of war.
Stuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 08:58   #58
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:18
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Is that maniac in your avatar you, MZ? Oh, and before you ask, the buxom blonde in mine is not me, and neither my wife.
That's Jason Lee, AKA Banky/Brodie, from the set of movies by Kevin Smith - Mallrats, Chasing Amy, Clerks + Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back.

And I'm sure there will be other patches (this is the BETA, as a special Xmas present, remember? ). This one will be big enough as it is.

And Sir Ralph - is your holiday saved, or ruined? For your family I believe the latter, in all probability.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 09:11   #59
Harovan
staff

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
And Sir Ralph - is your holiday saved, or ruined? For your family I believe the latter, in all probability.
Saved, by all means. My wife enjoys to watch TV and will be happy to be rid of me (or else I might make toxic remarks about the kind of movies and shows she's watching), my son is with his gf doing things for which he doesn't need my help, and I have a room, 2 computers and a Conquests CD for myself.
Old December 10, 2003, 09:46   #60
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Awesome news.

I expected the corruption & gpt bug fixes, but WOW the combat system change sounds like a big deal.

Since I lost a fortified veteran hoplite to an attacking regular warrior (which lost a whopping 1hp) last night, however, I am currently inclined to view the change in a positive light.

Thank you Firaxis/Breakaway/whateveryournameis!

MZ - great avatar . Is that shot from Chasing Amy?

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote