Old December 11, 2003, 19:05   #181
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 15:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Firaxis/Breakaway don't cease to amaze me. Big thumbs up. It's a pleasure to be your customer. I don't want to say that the changes in combat system were necessarily bad. But they certainly shouldn't be in a beta patch. Changes with a big impact like this should be thoroughly tested. May be it should be made adjustable (the # of rounds being a General Setting).
Harovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2003, 19:24   #182
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 16:18
i can picture coracle weaping in the corner
"why didn't they remove culture flipping that soon too?"

:up: great reflexes, firaxis :up:
the code must be well structured to remove the changes just like that
Old December 11, 2003, 19:27   #183
portuguese7
Settler

Local Time: 14:18
According to latest news, this is back:

Personally, I'm sorry to hear that, but if all others think other way...
portuguese7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2003, 19:39   #184
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 07:18
Thank you for listening to fan concerns

Catt
Catt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2003, 19:44   #185
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

That picture is great, portugese7.
Harovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2003, 19:52   #186
Thoth
King

Local Time: 10:18
Thanks for listening Firaxis.

(Is anybody taking bets on when the first poster b*tches about streaky combat results after the beta patch is released?
Old December 11, 2003, 19:58   #187
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Wow, changing course like that again in response to fans' concerns is amazing.
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2003, 20:06   #188
portuguese7
Settler

Being such a big poster at CFC, I have to have a good hand of them...
Enjoy:

Question -
Suspicious -
Need Help -
Chinese -
Xmas -
Skull -
Floppa -
DJ -
New borg -
+1 stupid -
chair -
Job forPope-
Dead Thread-
Hug -
Supporting -
Rant -
Zzz -
Ancient -
Angel -
Dyna -
Dyna animed-
Fidel -
Che Guevara-
Hyppie -
Typing Comp-
Samurai -
WizardDraco-
007 -
Cow Smiley -
9 (cloud) -
SpearVsTank-

More:
Strange and bans-http://forums.tactical-ops.to/misc.p...on=showsmilies
LOTR smileys -http://www.council-of-elrond.com/for...on=showsmilies
Rock and Roll -http://www.gnrforum.com/misc.php?action=getsmilies&s=
(Hope this is not a problem, since it is completelly Off Topic. If this is strongly against the rules here, warn me)

Last edited by portuguese7; December 11, 2003 at 20:13.
portuguese7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2003, 20:39   #189
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 11:18
These changes were being tested in order to be included in the final patch, which will be released in 2004. We bemoaned about the lack of a patch to fix two important bugs (gpt and fp). They decided to give us a BETA patch, containing fixes for these bugs AND the changes in combat. Note: it is a BETA patch, "feel free to download it at your own risk" type of thing.

Quote:
I don't want to say that the changes in combat system were necessarily bad. But they certainly shouldn't be in a beta patch.
They wouldn't be in a BETA patch because the beta patch wasn't supposed to exist. It is being released because we complained about the bugs (which would be fixed anyway, but only in the second quarter of 2004). They're saying: "hey guys, this is a beta patch, it hasn't been thoroughly tested yet". And we say: "I don't care, I want it, but if there's something wrong with it you're all f***ed up".

Jesse Smith:

Quote:
This was the only way to get a patch posted prior to Christmas. If additional issues present themselves we will make every effort to release another BETA update.
Why to be so afraid of changes? I would be willing to test this change in combat and, if things ended up being bad, I'd just say: "look, this change breaks the combat, could you undo it? Or not include it in the final patch? Thanks."

That's just my 0.02, of course. No hard feelings.
Old December 11, 2003, 20:42   #190
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

This is fine by me. Really, the only two things that bug me are the GPT and Corruption bugs (and the fact there's no replay for PBEM).

Also, I'm wondering if there are any plans to spiff up Feudalism. Its really a weak gov.

Last edited by Sarxis; December 11, 2003 at 21:06.
Sarxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2003, 21:10   #191
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 07:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
They're saying: "hey guys, this is a beta patch, it hasn't been thoroughly tested yet". And we say: "I don't care, I want it, but if there's something wrong with it you're all f***ed up".
This is the second or third time you've posted along these lines -- what are you seeing that I am not in this thread. To my eye, the vast majority (not all, but the vast majority) of the thread consisted of "thanks a bunch" followed by cogently, calmly stated concerns about the proposed change to combat. Unless my radar is not working at all, you seem to be saying that constructive criticism = **** you!

Quote:
Why to be so afraid of changes?
It is not a question of fear. Certain players feel they have a very good understanding about how the various game concepts, including combat, interact. The proposed changes were entirely straightforward mathematically and easily reduced to hard numbers. The extent of the potential ingame changes introduced by the nature of the change was debateable, but some players felt pretty confident that at least some of the ingame effects were entirely predictable and detracted from gameplay unless extensive other changes were made.

Quote:
I would be willing to test this change in combat and, if things ended up being bad, I'd just say: "look, this change breaks the combat, could you undo it? Or not include it in the final patch? Thanks."
Would you care to test the following changes: (1) all mountains and hills are impassable to all units; (2) strategic and luxury resrouces are disabled; (3) all units except for warriors require a certain (disabled) resource; and (4) you may not build settlers? Certainly you wouldn't want to spend much time testing this, right? You can see just by looking at the changes that the game perhaps wouldn't offer the same depth as an unmodded game of Civ 3? The above example is of course silly and extreme - the point is that some players feel they are more than competent enough with the basic game functionality to comment on likely ingame effects of the proposed combat changes. You may disagree and you may also be willing to play with the proposed change yourself. That doesn't make others' criticsm equate to a "**** you!" nor does it indicate any sort of "fear of change" among other posters.

By all means express your opinion on the issue - but no need to again jump into the discussion only to harp on others for expressing their reasoned opinions of the effects of the proposed changes.

Catt
Catt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2003, 22:36   #192
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 08:18
Quote:
Originally posted by OPD
It would be interesting if it were to come into play only when units from different classes are fighting.
So cav vs spears, tanks vs spears, pikes etc are less random but horse vs spear remains the same......
Hmmm.... so:
----
int nNumRolls = 1;
nNumRolls = nNumRolls + abs(GetAttackerAgeIndex() - GetDefenderAgeIndex());

Roll(nNumRolls);
----

I like it.
Old December 11, 2003, 22:36   #193
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:18
Local Date: November 3, 2010
I think I understand what Alex is getting at - Al, you have made your point, and I'm sure you'll agree, that, if you see someone starting to edge towards irritation at the same point, then it might be time to let it alone, just for a while. Trust me, as I have recently come close to this with the "When do we have AU?" poll. No hard feelings, but if we leave it then those who may get annoyed don't have to.

Common ground: thanks to Firaxis and Breakaway for listening to us and doubtless many others on sites all over the place. I doubt that we convinced you to reverse the beta patch change on our own, but this is pretty clear indication that we are being watched here, and actually paid attention to, when we are being serious about it all!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2003, 22:52   #194
Jeem
Warlord

Quote:
Also, I'm wondering if there are any plans to spiff up Feudalism. Its really a weak gov.
Not to mention completely different from what the manual states!

However, I don't think it's all that weak. You get the 3 policing units and can still safely hit a golden age knowing that you'll get a big benefit. The main difference between Feudalism and Monarchy is that you now don't need to research Monarchy in order to have a decent government - that's a BIG bonus. Feudalisms own Despotisms in every way and it's a viable step up from Despotism which fits quite nicely within the game parameters I think.

You don't want to be stuck on it for ages by any means.
Jeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2003, 00:40   #195
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by portuguese7
-[IMG]
http://www.civfanatics.net/uploads2/cloud9.gif[/IMG]
Cloud nine? Looks like a smilie passing gas.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2003, 01:22   #196
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I am... impressed.

No, more than that.

A long time ago, with the earliest C3 patches, I made the argument that we are entering a new era of technology, where the evolution of products is the result of a "conversation" between developers and customers / fans.

I don;t think the concept was very well received at the time, as with the advent of the Internet the general wisdom was that developers were pushing out buggy products and releasing iterative and easily distributable patches just to make up for flaws.

Well, that may have been somewhat true, of course, but I maintain this is an evolution, and that Firaxis is getting ahead of the curve.

"Pre-release beta patch fan critiquing" is quite the concept... and Civ is the perfect game for it. As someone on CFC said, there have been PHDs all over the world secretly ignoring their work and focusing on the impacts of a change of 1 to 4 iterations in the combat model!! How many FPS fan communities can be expected to do the same?

KUDOS, Firaxis, for trying to understand how to do 'this' (i.e., customer involved development) better, and having the guts to do it! I am not aware of any major commercial software developers that are so far along as you in this approach (not including small community stuff like Mathematica, nor of course the open sourcers).

As a matter of interest: As indicated by Mike B., it seems you all were not expecting the explosion of commentary on this issue... I assume some of you have been monitoring this thread and its equal at CFC... what in the varied postings triggered the decision not to include the change in this first patch? (if you can answer)

Again, THANKYOUTHANKYOUTHANKYOU, you guys ROCK!! Everything: C3, patches, PTW, patches, C3C, beta patch, revised beta patch, final patch, Civ4 in the planning... my god, my first three children are gonna be named Firaxis Podos, Breakaway Podos, and Atari Podos (well, we'll see what Amy has to say. ).

Oh, and one more thing...

Any thoughts on Marine+Berserk Armies?
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2003, 01:59   #197
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:18
This is good.

I wonder if it would be good to have a beta crew left to tackle changes like averaged combat and vet them before release?
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2003, 02:35   #198
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I'd volunteer for that (like I volunteered for the C3C beta... and WASN'T included ).... I was actually starting to get intrigued from a non-warmongering Seven Pillars standpoint.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2003, 03:14   #199
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Jeem

You don't want to be stuck on it for ages by any means.
The one thing that scares me about Feudalism is the 3gpt upkeep of units. Yeah, you are going to get a few free ones with your towns, but the whole point of the 3gpt was it would be offset by the free improvment maintenance.

Its just scary.
Sarxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2003, 04:21   #200
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by portuguese7
Personally, I'm sorry to hear that, but if all others think other way...
You are not the only one

I have the feeling that most of people don't want the change because it'd change their style of playing, their good old strategies and tactics that worked so far. It doesn't really matter whether this is good or not, it is just: "Oh My God, what will happen now with my horse rush?"

Since it is a beta patch, it'd have made sense to test this new combat model.
I hope that for the final patch they will make it a general option in the game preferences.
--Woody Allen

Last edited by Tiberius; December 12, 2003 at 04:28.
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2003, 05:59   #201
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Catt

It is not a question of fear. Certain players feel they have a very good understanding about how the various game concepts, including combat, interact. The proposed changes were entirely straightforward mathematically and easily reduced to hard numbers. The extent of the potential ingame changes introduced by the nature of the change was debateable, but some players felt pretty confident that at least some of the ingame effects were entirely predictable and detracted from gameplay unless extensive other changes were made.

DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2003, 10:35   #202
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
from Jesse (via mail)
The change to the combat system has been cut from the v1.10 Patch

i suppose they'll work more on it for the final patch
Honestly I wouldn't mind if they had kept the change, but reduced the "die rolls" to two for averaging instead of four. Better yet, just make it available in the editor. But maybe that's what they now have in mind.

Now just remember, keep you submarines covered!
Stuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2003, 10:50   #203
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 11:18
Quote:
This is the second or third time you've posted along these lines
Sorry to annoy you all. As MWIA said, one has to know the moment when it's wiser to silence about something. I'm silencing now.

Quote:
I understand your point. It is a valid one.

Quote:
By all means express your opinion on the issue - but no need to again jump into the discussion only to harp on others for expressing their reasoned opinions of the effects of the proposed changes.
Never wanted to offend anyone. Maybe I've exaggerated some things, but it was just to highlight my position. Peace.

Quote:
I think I understand what Alex is getting at - Al, you have made your point, and I'm sure you'll agree, that, if you see someone starting to edge towards irritation at the same point, then it might be time to let it alone, just for a while.
Doing it now.

Quote:
I have the feeling that most of people don't want the change because it'd change their style of playing, their good old strategies and tactics that worked so far. It doesn't really matter whether this is good or not, it is just: "Oh My God, what will happen now with my horse rush?"

Since it is a beta patch, it'd have made sense to test this new combat model.
I hope that for the final patch they will make it a general option in the game preferences.
Totally agree with you. You expressed it much better than I did.

Just so people don't think I'm an ungrateful bastard, I'd like to say "thank you Firaxis and Breakaway for all the incredible support and for listening to the community".
Old December 12, 2003, 10:57   #204
jshelr
Civilization III PBEMIron CiversC3CDG Ankh-Morpork
Emperor

Let me just state that Catt's comment is right on this issue, leaving out the usual polite IMO.

As a matter of perspective on game realism, I'm from the Vietnam generation. You know, the generation that fought the backward South East Asians using our overwhelming technological superiority. They didn't have a chance, although I wish someone had told them that.

Let the spearman win once in a while. It is realistic, not to mention more fun and produces the game balance Catt is talking about.
Old December 12, 2003, 11:48   #205
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I agree.

Once I first played Civ3, the two things that struck me as great gameplay design decisions were: 1) Settlers cost 2 pop, and 2) no Firepower (or whatever it was called in Civ2...gee it's been a long time).

As your tech lead increases, the odds are appropriately in your favor to win battles given what's good for gameplay. That's all I need. If I lose a Tank to a Spearmen, I deal with it, knowing that I've got more Tanks in reserve (usually in this situation my opponent does not have a superior economic base that will overwhelm my Tank offensive with swarms of Spearmen).

Dominae
Old December 12, 2003, 12:01   #206
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

The vietnamese didn't win because two or three vietnamese spearmen randomly won against two or three american tanks. They've won because of the advantegeous a civ fighting for his own homeland has against an invader. (which btw was addressed by Firaxis, in certain limits).

That being said, I'm OK with the combat model as it is. I know that odd results do happen in real life too, now and then. I don't have the slightest complain about it when playing against the AI. I am able to defeat it with or without luck. However, I do have a problem with the RNG since I am playing PBEM. To quote somebody I am fighting against:
Quote:
I have never known anyone to have such bad luck with the RNG
Having a few turns of bad luck when playing against humans can be game-breaking.

Why would the new rules detract from gameplay is beyond me. I have no means to prove it whatsoever, but I am confident that if the new, now withdrawn model, had been applied from the very beginning of civ3, the crowd now asking for its withdrawal would have asked to keep it.

Just my 2 cents, and by no means am I whining. It is great that Firaxis and Breakaway listened to the community. It's fantastic, really. I am just sad that those who were hoping in a less random combat model are in a minority. (and I maintain my opinion that for most of the new model's opponents it is the natural, human emotion of fear from change).
--Woody Allen
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2003, 12:16   #207
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I do not see how making the out come of a given combat more predicatable would hurt game play. Weither or not the proposed change would accomplish that is another story.
I would be very happy to see any smoothing of the RNG. It would make sense and help demo games.
I doubt it would stop the spear thing or any such odd ball out comes completely and that is fine.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2003, 12:25   #208
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I'd like to add my voice to the chorus thanking Firaxis for listening to its fanbase (both by agreeing to release a beta patch at all, and they pulling the combat change - which did seem a little extreme - for now). Thanks!

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2003, 13:25   #209
RobC
Warlord

Local Time: 06:18
It's great that Firaxis & Breakaway listen to their fans, although I personally would have loved to at least try it out...perhaps in the next patch (assuming there's another before the 'final' patch) we can get the 'adjustable variance' setting that Brian and I suggested so people can try it out for themselves...
RobC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2003, 14:08   #210
SpencerH
Civilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 09:18
For a period of about 1/2 hr I was thinking of buying C3C today. Its $15 and a beta patch is coming soon. Great! On top of that there will be changes to the 'combat streakiness' (which pisses me off no end) I dont mind losing a cav to a spearman once in a while, but for my money it happens too often and with not enough HP loss to the uberspearman. Now, the changes to combat are on hold and so is my purchase

Let me contribute this to the discussion though. Is there a way to use the combat averaging idea to bring back the firepower concept from civ2.

ancient unit v ancient unit no averaging
ancient unit v middle age unit average of 2
ancient unit v industrial age unit average of 3
ancient unit v modern age unit average of 4

etc

How would such changes effect the game?
If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.
SpencerH is offline   Reply With Quote