Old December 13, 2003, 09:39   #241
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 16:18
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Catt,

I'm sorry if I sounded rude. I didn't intend to. I understand that lots of people didn't like he changes and I respect their opinion. Making people evil or incapable of thought was NOT what I wanted to achieve.

However:
I said "I have the feeling that ... ". Can I have a feeling without proving it with numbers, please? There were posts like these:
Quote:
So much for ultra-early rushes!!

I'd prefer it if they saved this new formula for Civ 4.

This combat system may be a good idea in the future.
that made me feel (and say) what I said. My interpretation was: "So, the idea might be good, but why do they have to apply it now, ruining my archer and horse rushes?" Of course, my interpretation might be wrong, but I didn't say: "you are idiots for not liking it", I said "I have the feeling that they don't like it because ... ". Not seing (from my PoV) a valid reason against the changes (horseman losing against sprearman is not a good reason, IMHO) I assumed that there must be another reason behind the negative reaction. For me, the whole thing sounded like a Coracle chorus: "Bad, BAD changes!". Sorry for that, but this is how a felt it.

Furthermore:
I said: "Why would the new rules detract from gameplay is beyond me." That means " I don't understand why would the new rules detract from gameplay", nothing more, nothing less. I still don't understand it. So stronger units will win more often. What's wrong with that?

Seing the numbers I can understand that maybe averaging 4 results is too much, and combat results may change too drastically. Averaging only 2 or 3 results may be better, indeed. I also like a lot Spencer's idea.

I can live with the current combat system. I always thought that it is too random, but I never said that it is broken. So, when I saw that finally Firaxis considered "fixing" it, naturally I was happy. Then it came a crowd yelling that the changes are bad, so I was a bit upset, as you can imagine. Please forgive me if I hurt anyone's feelings.
--Woody Allen
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2003, 09:48   #242
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Local Time: 15:18
The nice property of firepower in Civ2 (and of course Spencer's variable averaging scheme) is that you can alter the chance of the strongest unit winning for inter-era fights without affecting intra-era balance.

Looking at it from both sides, it seems most people that have objections one way or the other can be happy with such outcomes. People that think spears should lose to tanks more often are happier, and those who quite rightly questioned whether averaging for all battles would break the balance within a given age would also have their main objection answered.

The only possible drawback is it's quite fiddly, for want of a better phrase.

Whether Firaxis would want to impose such a scheme when they have always strived to make the model used more simple, I'm not sure.
DrSpike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2003, 12:31   #243
Slax
Prince

Local Time: 09:18
How did 'firepower' work mathematically?
Slax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2003, 12:36   #244
DrSpike
Deity

I'll refer you to the Marquis de Sodaq's seminal piece. He pulled all the work done into a coherent whole.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=22856
Old December 13, 2003, 14:48   #245
Catt
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton University
King

Local Time: 07:18
Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
Please forgive me if I hurt anyone's feelings.
No hurt feelings here. I sent you a PM rather than clog up this thread with any further discussion about "discussion" rather than discussion about the patch!

Catt
Catt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2003, 08:14   #246
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 16:18
does this week mean friday?
Old December 16, 2003, 12:50   #247
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Local Time: 10:18
Quote:
Originally posted by sabrewolf
does this week mean friday?
They should really release it tomorrow to corospond with the world wide opening of the Return of the King.

Old December 16, 2003, 12:54   #248
DrSpike
Deity

In this final part of the saga will the righteous Firaxians be able to thwart the evil corruption demon by throwing the ring of bad rank calculations into Mount Doom once and for all?

Old December 16, 2003, 13:07   #249
conmcb25
inmate
Civilization III Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II PBEMCivilization IV PBEMCivilization III PBEMCivilization II Succession GamesPtWDG2 MonkeyInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliScenario League / Civ2-CreationAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG3 MorganApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization II MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG SarantiumPolyCast TeamCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
In this final part of the saga will the righteous Firaxians be able to thwart the evil corruption demon by throwing the ring of bad rank calculations into Mount Doom once and for all?

I hope so!
Old December 16, 2003, 23:24   #250
Willem
Emperor

Re: Civ III: Conquests Patch Notice
Quote:
Originally posted by JesseSmith

If additional issues present themselves we will
make every effort to release another BETA
update. We greatly appreciate your assistance in
notifying us of problems that you experience
(forum posts are the most convenient format).
What about fixing the Reduces Corruption wonder effect, and a few others, so that they shut off with a government switch? This was supposed to have been addressed a long, long time ago but it still persists.

As it stands, the Secret Police Headquarters could be used as a cheap exploit by anyone playing a Religious civ. Just switch to Communism long enough to start construction on the wonder, then switch back to Democracy and reap the benefits when it's completed.

And it creates some major limitations for modders who are trying to work with gov specific buildings.
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2003, 06:44   #251
UnityScoutChopper
Warlord

Willem,

Although the broken Reduces Corruption flag is annoying, it is easy to avoid deliberately exploiting it (and if really wants to use exploits, there are many easier, earlier, and more powerful ones in the game). Meanwhile, the cases where one is faced with the choice between "accidentally exploiting" it or giving up a useful option (a switch out of Communism after a long stay within it) are rare and above all come late in the game.

I'd thus say this is bearable until the second patch. I do feel yo' pain, though.

USC
UnityScoutChopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2003, 13:47   #252
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by UnityScoutChopper
Willem,

Although the broken Reduces Corruption flag is annoying, it is easy to avoid deliberately exploiting it (and if really wants to use exploits, there are many easier, earlier, and more powerful ones in the game). Meanwhile, the cases where one is faced with the choice between "accidentally exploiting" it or giving up a useful option (a switch out of Communism after a long stay within it) are rare and above all come late in the game.

I'd thus say this is bearable until the second patch. I do feel yo' pain, though.

USC
Maybe so, but it still doesn't address the fact that this was supposed to have been fixed eons ago, like about the second or third vanilla patch. They fixed the wonder effects, but they didn't bother with the small wonder ones. In light of the fact that it's been such a long time since it was supposed to have been resolved, it should be a top priority.

I've been wanting to have a gov specific building that reduces corruption for a long, long time now. I keep hoping that it gets fixed everytime there's a new patch, but it never does. I'd say it's about time.
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2003, 13:52   #253
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

I just want to say, that today was my last day at work until Jan 12th. You can release the beta patch now.
Harovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2003, 14:59   #254
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Heh, no kidding.

Is there an ETA yet? Agent Smith? (Jesse)
Sarxis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2003, 15:01   #255
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Can't wait. hoping its comes soon.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2003, 19:36   #256
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 06:18
i thought this was supposed to be out wednesday?

probably too late now to see it today?
smellymummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2003, 00:14   #257
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

I don't remember seeing Wednesday mentioned, but I hope its soon.
Old December 18, 2003, 00:32   #258
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:18
In GS chat they mentioned 'this week'.

Tradition has it out on Friday afternoons EST.
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2003, 00:54   #259
Sarxis
Emperor

Will we need that 1.02 patch before upgrading to the beta? Because I never bothered with 1.02.
Old December 18, 2003, 00:56   #260
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:18
I hold zee magic cardz up me 4head and say....

No, I don't think so, 1.01 and .02 were localisation, were they not?

However, even with zee magic cardz, your guess is as good as mine.
notyoueither is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2003, 00:59   #261
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
In GS chat they mentioned 'this week'.

Tradition has it out on Friday afternoons EST.
Except for the Thursday exception!
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2003, 06:36   #262
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Anun Ik Oba
Will we need that 1.02 patch before upgrading to the beta? Because I never bothered with 1.02.
MarkG posted this on the first page of this thread:

Quote:
Jesse via mail on ROW(Rest Of the World)

Quote:
The patch is for all languages. The new text in the labels.txt just won't be translated. Since the patch will NOT include ALL of the ROW 1.02 files, ROW owners should patch 1.02 BEFORE installing Beta v1.10.
Stuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21, 2003, 20:24   #263
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
{BOLD}
{SIZE=15}

{/SIZE}
{/BOLD}

I know that it didn't work, it just to emphasize the thought.