Old June 2, 2001, 12:41   #31
kobayashi
Prince

Local Time: 14:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Dienstag
I can't think of any reason not to release it at your earliest convenience. Thank you for your dedication in responding to players' comments. I just want you to know your work is appreciated. Thanks.
That is such a kind thing to say. You know, sometimes a single comment like that alone is enough to make creating a scenario worth it.
Old June 3, 2001, 13:26   #32
kobayashi
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Cal
I've done some searching... and I believe Theme2.wav is the verse from the following song.

Lied der Panzertruppen

"Stuermt oder schneit, ob die Sonne uns lacht,
Bestaubt sind die Gesichter,
Doch froh ist unser Sinn, ja unser Sinn:
Es braust unser Panzer im Sturme dahin."

So that's one mystery solved...
I found by accident a webpage which has got the entire song plus a translation. Its not the site I orignally downloaded the wav from but anyway here it is.

http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Cavern/2941/pzlied.htm
Old June 9, 2001, 07:40   #33
Spanky
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:16
Hey kobayashi,

just a little constructive criticism concerning your city graphics:

Skyscrapers and highrises are actually very uncommon in European cities even today, and especially in this time period. Nazi germany actually officially condemned them for being modernist. I guess most people don't realize that, since even Captain Nemo's carefully detailed cities include them. Paris, for example, didn't get a tall building until about the 1970s, when they built the Tour de Montparnasse, and even now it stands out as an exception.

I would suggest using either Nemo's cities, which I think are still the most realistic, or maybe the industrial era cities from the Hi-Res modpack if you're going for that kind of look (I assume that's where you got yours from?).

Hey, by the way, are you really from Singapore? I lived there for seven years!
Old June 9, 2001, 08:33   #34
Spanky
Chieftain

Hey kobayashi,

just a little constructive criticism concerning your city graphics:

Skyscrapers and highrises are actually very uncommon in European cities even today, and especially in this time period. Nazi germany actually officially condemned them for being modernist. I guess most people don't realize that, since even Captain Nemo's carefully detailed cities include them. Paris, for example, didn't get a tall building until about the 1970s, when they built the Tour de Montparnasse, and even now it stands out as an exception.

I would suggest using either Nemo's cities, which I think are still the most realistic, or maybe the industrial era cities from the Hi-Res modpack if you're going for that kind of look (I assume that's where you got yours from?).

Hey, by the way, are you really from Singapore? I lived there for seven years!
Old June 9, 2001, 16:14   #35
kobayashi
Prince

I can't claim to be an expert on european architecture of the 40s and you are probably right. I knew the empire state building was built in 1931 and I assumed the rest.

There is a picture here of what dresden was like after the 1000 bomber raid. Seems most buildings in the picture were under 10 storeys tall.

http://www.valourandhorror.com/BC/Raids/Dresden.htm

I kinda like the feel and colour of the cities (notwithstanding the justified criticism) so I think I will keep them. Thanks for your comments and yes I am really from Singapore although I haven't been living there for a few years now. Last time I went back for a visit I was really shocked at how modern it had become. Take the transport system for example:

1. Parking garages where you just drive in and out without doing anything and money is debited automatically from a cash card in the car.

2. Electronic Billboards along the roadside which calculate the time needed to get to different destinations based on the prevailing traffic conditions.

3. Taxis linked by a GPS network where the dispatcher signals the nearest taxi to a caller via a dashboard computer screen.

4. I drove past 16 green lights in a row one time cause they were computer controlled to turn green at intervals equivalent to the time it takes to get from one junction to the next.

Well enough of that. For everyone else following this thread, version 2.0 will be released within the next three days. I think I will start a new thread for that.
Old June 9, 2001, 21:39   #36
Spanky
Chieftain

Wow - seems like the Asian Economic Crisis hasn't affected them a bit. Last time I was there was in 1993, after we had permanently moved back to Europe half a year earlier. In the meantime, I think there were about 3 new highrises standing on Orchard Road...!

As you might guess, I'm European myself, so I have a pretty fair idea of the architecture around here. But that said, if you think the feel is right the way it is, I can respect that.

Actually, I'm not the one to throw stones right now - seems like my neoclassical 19th century cities need some getting used to as well... (Check out some of the replies to my "Road to Empire" preview to see what I mean.)

Last edited by Spanky; June 10, 2001 at 05:24.