Old December 12, 2003, 20:20   #271
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 15:19
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
To be fair this only covers certain recontrustion contracts and doesn't cover subcontracts. That means the French, Germans, Russians and all will still get a healthy boost out of this.
Whatever is allowed, I strongly recommend not to bid to any contract or subcontract under the US law.

A country, member of the coalition Iraq 1, provided 10 000 soldiers (Division Daguet). The following year (1991) the same country came to the rescue of a bankrupt insurance company (Executive Life). Twelve years later, the American Justice extorts 770 millions dollars to this country on the pretext that a formal legal condition (further reversed) was not met.

The American law is unsecure for foreigners, members of coalitions or not.
Old December 12, 2003, 20:21   #272
Ned
King

Local Time: 06:19
Pekka, You make a good case for Finland. Sending some peacekeeper now will go a long way to fix things, I am sure.

Your Foreign Minister should sit down with Powell and have a discussion.
Old December 12, 2003, 20:23   #273
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 17:19
paiktis, yeah you know.. we are truly brainwashed.. I mean, not in traditional meaning. It's all because of the ****ing finlandization. I mean, I could write a book about it, but I think Apolytoners wouldn't give a crap about the subject. It's all starts from traitors who were SUs left hands and little workers when peace came.. those mofos did everything they could. Majority of people here still believe in myths that are not reality and never has been. Young folks today rarely believe those myths though..

I just read, that we didn't even really honour our war vets in 50s 60s and 70s. Some people even said 'well why did you go there'. What's there to go *******! These imbesilles still however reproduce, unfortunately.
It was only in the 1990, that the president of Finland invited the ones who got the highest honours (this medal, making them knights, they all did something incredible) to the independece day party. I was like WTF?! I thought this was the way we always done it. But no, it was forbidden to talk about it pretty much few decades ago. Makes me so angry I can't put it to words.
I blame the commies for this for sure who made this happen. Thank God we are slowly breaking out of this. I just wish more people would realize it.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old December 12, 2003, 20:26   #274
Pekka
Emperor

Ned, I don't know.. and you know this would be VERY important to us. You know our system, I have ranted about it. We need to create money. Our companies would really need this.

But then again, I'm not saying we have THE RIGHT to it. We don't have the right to anything there. I just feel it would be only fair to let us in the competition too, to have a chance in it, even if we wouldn't get any of the jobs. Just the chance..
But no, we shouldn't send our Foreign Minister.. that dude is the worst choice, believe me . I mean, this dude even dissed .. who is the Israeli minister,, Simon Peres? Well anyway, in live press conference.. talking out of his ass, telling his OWN opinions, NOT our countrys official opinion. Talking about scandal. He's the guy who was a true activist in his youth, and he still has commie cells in his body, I mean he would totally disrespect Powell And even if he was sent with instructions, I'm 100% sure he'd **** it up.
Old December 12, 2003, 20:29   #275
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 16:19
Pekka, ok but it was just a joke as I'm sure you knew
Old December 12, 2003, 20:38   #276
Pekka
Emperor

paiktis, yeah I know.. I just got angry about the other thing.. it was just our independence day and I can't believe how we have treated our vets.. I mean it's not like in the US where they have millions of vets, and you know it's more difficult. We only have some tens of thousands left alive, and we still don't help them!

We talk about we are in gratitude for them.. BS, where's the action for it! You know, there are only few vet hospitals here, that helps the old and sick vets, possibly with difficult injuries from the war, and they just needed to get a loan from the bank, just to run it! What's with that?! Our gov accidentally took away there right to free burial too. What a shameful action, even if it was a mistake. 10 years from now, and we'll be all crying 'we didn't help them'. Some people think it's too late. But it's not too late. There are volunteers who help raising money, but it goes only so far.. we helped raising money to vets in the army, door to door asking people to donate, but guess who organized it? Vets. The oldies came there, did all the REAL work, we just went door to door. It's appalling, it's disgusting, it's dirty and I feel guilty about it, because I haven't started my own fundraising, standing out there and asking for donations.
I could do that, I have free time. And I know if you don't do it yourself, no one will. So I'll prolly feel guilty about this later on too, but so will the whole nation. And we deserve it!

And you know what I noticed doing the door to door thing? That some people don't care. That is so ignorant IMO, anyone could spare something. Some people gave money.. poor people gave money.. and you know what? Young people gave money. These chicks, maybe 16, they have both money from their purses I saw it happen.. and phonenumber ... but what is amazing, almost every single FOREIGNER gave money! I mean, they thought, damn, I need to donate money to this thing. I think most felt, that since they live in this country, they should give some. But what about citizens? What about government? I still remember this Russian man, he gave good money, equivalent of 20 dollars (100 marks back then). I don't know, maybe he felt soldiers here aren't nice and could do shake down . But he was very nice about it. So, how come Rooskies give us money, money that they can just afford, and these middle aged jerks give nothing or few cents?

I still remember that some of the door openers was actually war vet. Even some of them gave money! Few of them asked me in.. I mean they had no one there to help them. Old people, sick people, living in the 6th floor without elevator! God damnit! They can't go shopping it's clear in the condition few of them were.. It made me sad and angry at the same time. WHo helps them? Maybe some relative goes shopping for them once a week and that's it. YOu know, all they wanted was company. It was obvious they don't have visitors.. They just wanted someone to talk with. Offered coffee, started talking about things and were glad someone listened to them. Few of them told few war stories, I think they felt safe talking to a soldier.. and they weren't ranting 'no one is helping us damn it!'. They didn't even mention it. They were just happy to have human interraction. ****ing relatives of these people. How dare they??????????????? Damn it this makes me angry and sad even when I think about it now. Men died for us, injured badly, fought against all odds and survived, but what did we ever do to them? NOTHING!

Last edited by Pekka; December 12, 2003 at 20:47.
Old December 12, 2003, 20:59   #277
Bereta_Eder
Settler

Local Time: 16:19
Yep I agree that war veterans should be looked after and supported in the best possible way.
Dont you have national parades?
I always enjoy the makedonomachoi in the parades. They must be like 90 years old or older. But they're still marching. They're the veterans (those that are still alive) from the 2nd balkan war. I think that no money in the world can make up for what they feel when they're marching in the national parade first before all the army with all their medals and have young kids cheering them. And I doubt greece pays them sufficient money.
Old December 12, 2003, 21:04   #278
Pekka
Emperor

Yeah we have parades.. independence day we have parades.. It's amazing how this oldies get there, it's always cold (december 6th), no complaining at all. They just see who has passed away this time and go on with it. And they go marching on formation .
Old December 12, 2003, 21:54   #279
Kidicious
Deity

Local Time: 06:19
Quote:
Originally posted by DAVOUT

I refrain from mentionning diplomacy when discussing with Americans; I am not sure they know what it is.

j/k
How diplomatic of you.