DarthVeda
Emperor

Local Time: 02:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Kyokujitsu: To Be or Not To Be?
I've had it brought to my attention that my Kyokujitsu scenario is a:

quote:

Red Front wannabe scenario

Also, it seems that I have made some kind of ass of myself here?

quote:

Not to mention your insults and pesky comments to people [at Sleague]... You don't have to be an ass [at Sleague]... but just a nice guy. So do us all a favor and follow along.

On top of that only two of my playtesters have returned any meaningful feedback and that was on the first part of the scenario (only one has returned info on the first two to three parts).

So I'm faced with a choice here.

I can cancel the scenario and burn the remains, or if there is an audience for the scenario still, I am not a total jerk here, and you people actually want to see this scenario before civ3, I could see a reason to get "re-motivated."

At this point I'm not very motivated to continue work at all seeing as interest in the scenario seems to be about zero and I've even been insulted about it...

So the question must be asked: after at least five hundred hours of work on the scenario--and others have spent at least fifty hours playtesting/creating new units for the scenario--do I continue; is there an appreciable and receptive audience out there?

Or am I some kind of arrogant jerk, who's spent the last of whatever meager reputation he had in posting overly ambitious release dates, trying to make a scenario thats just going to blow ass and that nobody wants?

I think these are the questions I've been meaning to ask for the last six months as I try to find time to work on the scenario and actually finish it.

What do you guys think?

And by the way, the identity of the certain individual who wrote whats in the quotes will remain safely anonymous.
[This message has been edited by DarthVeda (edited May 19, 2001).]
Old May 19, 2001, 03:26   #2
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 16:16
Please release it! From the previews you've put up it looks fantastic, and there are nowhere near enough scenarios about the Pacific Theatre of WW2 (which from my Australian point of view is more interesting then the European theatre )

------------------
If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular error
-John Kenneth Galbraith
Old May 19, 2001, 03:53   #3
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 00:16
DV, please persevere. Don't take all that stuff personally. While sometimes very large scenarios take more effort than some are willing to give, it doesn't follow that Kyokujitsu will be one. In fact, I've been waiting patiently for it to be released, knowing full well that I'm in the same boat as far as delayed releases go (worse, really). ToT scenarios are a LOT of work, so patience is essential. I'm a strong proponent of cooperative efforts to get them done, so if I can give a hand, let me know.
Old May 19, 2001, 05:28   #4
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Seems to me that you put quite a lot of effort into it, and it would be a shame to just chuck all that because of some negativity. Maybe you need to get more motivated playtesters, and worry a bit less about criticism. As you can see in another hot thread right now, even Red Front has it's detractors. I have yet to see a really good pacific war scenario, and you have the added benefit of TOT, with it's many extra scenario features to work with. Don't throw away your own hard work because somebody else didn't like your efforts. You can't please everyone, but you can try to make your work the best it can be. I'm no designer, just a player, but I can really appreciate the hard work and tremendous effort put in by many of the designers who post here. When the hour is darkest, one man with a vision can see it through. Be that man. Persevere.

------------------
All knowledge begins with the phrase: I don't know.
Old May 19, 2001, 05:29   #5
Exile
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 01:16
DV, ignore your critics and do what you want. If you want to finish your Kyokujitsu scenario, do it. Who cares what some callous and obnoxious posters think. It seems that insulting people is an activity that some maladjusted folks tend to revel in. I don't even have TOT, but I encourage you to finish and release it.

For what it's worth,
Exile
Old May 19, 2001, 06:26   #6
BeBro
Emperor

Local Time: 08:16
DarthVeda, it depends on you. The scenario is your idea, you are the one that put all the work in it. If you think it is good - release it, no matter what others say. I personally make my scenarios primarily for myself, if others like them - fine, if not - life goes on...

------------------
Civ2000 hosted by CivII Universum
Old May 19, 2001, 07:35   #7
PolarisGL
King

Local Time: 06:16
I also say release it, if you can finish it up and what not. While I don't like the kind of scenario, I'm sure other people do.

Not to mention that if it turned out to be unique in World War II scenarios, I'd be all over it.

[This message has been edited by PolarisGL (edited May 19, 2001).]
Old May 19, 2001, 11:36   #8
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 23:16
Local Date: October 30, 2010
By all means, please continue! By the way, did you get my email about the TV show? "Secrets of the Axis" tonight on the History Channel (two showings). Some cool new stuff for the WWII scenario creators out there!
Old May 19, 2001, 13:18   #9
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 07:16
I was never very interested in this project, and I propably won't download it for the causes of ToT and it's size, but...
I am very sure that there are many people who don't care for my work and I've also got a flame because I was always doing the same. Did I care?
What I mean to say is, let those people who say stuff like that say it, ignore it, finish and release the scenario and let those people live with the fact that they're missing just about the best scenario ever designed .
Old May 19, 2001, 13:38   #10
DarthVeda
Emperor

To that certain individual:

To the rest of you:

Thanks for the support. It's certainly encouraging to see seven posts in about as many hours.

I'm going to do something I haven't done for a few months, and play my scenario through the fifth part (I've had to test it in segments)-basically all the way.

Perhaps then I shall be more encouraged to continue work on the scenario. Maybe the AI will kick my butt... I don't know because I haven't been able to guage it.

[This message has been edited by DarthVeda (edited May 19, 2001).]
Old May 19, 2001, 17:16   #11
Cal
Prince

DV: The world can always use another good WWII scenario, please don't let harsh criticisms destroy your work.

------------------
The strategically impaired,
-Cal
Old May 19, 2001, 18:44   #12
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

you people actually want to see this scenario before civ3

Of course we do.

------------------
Leons Petrazickis (St. Leo)
http://aventine.cf-developer.net/minizigg/
petrazi@sprint.ca
Old May 19, 2001, 19:49   #13
MagyarCrusader

quote:

Red Front wannabe scenario

Hell, I'd take that as a compliment.

Yes I am looking forward to your scenario. If you don't plan on finishing it, at least put up your playtesting version somewhere to download.

BTW, if you want an ass, look over some of NickC's old posts.

------------------
"The Rumanians are really the most reliable people in the world when it comes to depending upon their breaking any promises they make." - General Harry Hill Bandholtz, US Army, 22 NOV 1919. General Bandholtz was the one who saved the Crown Jewels from the Rumanians. His statue sits in front of the American Embassy in Budapest.
Truth

Old May 19, 2001, 20:45   #14
techumseh
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 00:16
DV, have you considered releasing it in parts - as a serial? If the first part is done, put it out, then the second a week or so later. Keep them hungry for more!
Old May 19, 2001, 22:38   #15
PolarisGL
King

Oh, oh, oh, speaking of this scenario... DarthVeda, where did that thread go with those very nice naval ships you drew? I can't find it anywhere. Maybe it's Apolyton's search engine, or maybe I'm thinking of something else.
Old May 20, 2001, 00:50   #16
WarVoid
King

If you don't release it i'll track you down and open up a can o whoop ass on you.

And I know who said those things, DV. You know as well as I do that said person's comments don't count.
Old May 20, 2001, 11:55   #17
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Polaris: If evcerything works well with Geocities, just look for a thread by me and you'll get those graphics!

------------------
""I had hoped we were hurling a wildcat on the shore, but all we got was a stranded whale!"-Winston Curchill on the Battle of Anzio

"Quis custodes ipsos custodiet?" -Juvenal

"I can walk!!" -Dr. Strangelove
Old May 20, 2001, 17:52   #18
our_man
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 07:16
DV, you gotta finish it! It's the only thing which is going to stop ToT from continuing to gather dust on my Hard Drive!
Old June 6, 2001, 04:21   #19
Marko
Prince

I was in the same situation with The Struggle For Europe as you now: less than 5 % of the scenario was covered by feedback from playtesters.
My solution was to release the scenario and wait players comments in forums and e-mail and then continue the work.
Old June 7, 2001, 22:16   #20
Shadowstrike
Emperor

Release it!
C'mon, I've been waiting for this since some time last year! If you don't, I might as well start using my ToT CD as a doorstoper.....