Sim
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:21
Local Date: November 2, 2010
SCENARIO: The Cold War - 1961 AD
Here's my newest historical scenario:

The Cold War - 1961 AD for Civ3-Conquests

March of 1961 A.D.:
The Northern Hemisphere is devided in two blocks. Capitalistic Democracy and Stalinistic Communism have started an apocalyptic arms race. Heavily equipped with nuclear weapons capable of destroying the face of the planet completely, one side is keeping the other in check. But they are walking on thin ice: The slightest crises could drive the world into a nuclear armageddon. Will the leaders of the superpowers be wise and capable enough to avoid such a catastrophy, or will they lose nerves and seal the deadly fate of mankind?

You can play the NATO or the Warsaw Pact to determine the fate of the planet. Play one of the independant nations when you want a challenge, like the Chinese People's Republic, the Indian Union, Spain, Sweden/Finland or the Arab League.

In a locked alliance with the NATO, there is the SEATO and it's allies (consisting of Australia, New Sealand, Japan, and other nations in the Pacific Ocean), and the CENTO alliance (Persia and Pakistane). North Korea/North Vietnam is locked in an alliance with China.

There are two scenario files in the ZIP archive, one is called "The Cold War - 1961 AD", the other "World War III - 1961 AD". Both are identical, except that the West and the East are locked at war with each other already in the second file.

The scenario is based on a 200x180 world map. It takes about 4 minutes to initialize on my 1.8 GHz/512 MB RAM computer, but once it is loaded, the game is very fast. Maybe it is unpleasantly slow on older systems.

The victory conditions diplomacy and culture are disabled. Building settlers is not possible. Africa and Latin America are not populated in order to increase the game speed and in order to concentrate the scenario on the clash of the superpowers. The game starts in March 1961 and ends after 172 turns in November 1989, which is two months per turn. No technologies have been disabled, but it takes longer to research them. The government types Despotism, Feudalism and Democracy don't exist (the Western nations are Republics, because Democracy would have caused too much war weariness). Corruption is set to 30% at the easiest difficulty level, and increases by 10% with every next level.

I hope you'll enjoy it!

Last edited by Sim; December 10, 2003 at 16:41.
Sim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10, 2003, 19:05   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 10:21
Nice job.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2003, 17:09   #3
Sim
Chieftain

Thanks.
Old December 17, 2003, 23:14   #4
maciek
Warlord

Local Time: 22:21
What happened to South America and Africa? Shouldn't Australia be in the same block as USA?
maciek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2003, 00:08   #5
Sim
Chieftain

Quote:
What happened to South America and Africa? Shouldn't Australia be in the same block as USA?
I've avoided placing cities on Africa and South America in order to increase game speed.

Already as it is now, the scenario takes good 4 minutes to inizialize on my 1.8GHz/512 MB RAM computer, and I've learned that the loading time depends directly on the number of cities in the game. Placing another 2 or 4 civs on these continents would have considerably prolonged it.

Australia is in the same block as NATO - it belongs to the SEATO pact, which is a civ on it's own in the scenario, and which is in a locked alliance with the NATO.

Last edited by Sim; December 18, 2003 at 03:20.