Old January 15, 2004, 23:22   #91
okblacke
Apolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 06:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker No, all civs should be (relatively) equal, though I can see how it would be difficult to get as many Iroquois citynames as German or English, and they should DEFINATELY be equal in terms of the actual game (don't make some civs better than others).
Actually, I would debate this point.

Game balance is over-rated. For a game like Civ, there's a lot to be said for making some tribes harder than others. You could have cultural handicaps for some tribes (which could be switched off), though you might want to add extra tribes per map size, knowing that some were very likely to be wiped out quickly.

There's already an imbalance that occurs from starting position. Why not add a few more intentionally.
okblacke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2004, 00:00   #92
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 14:22
Quote:
You could have cultural handicaps for some tribes
Hmm... but what about people who'll shout "racism" at the first sign of anything like that?

although, I do have to admit, you make a lot of sense with your points Okblacke
Old January 16, 2004, 17:41   #93
polypheus
Chieftain

Well the cultural and/or technological handicaps could be randomized rather than hard coded to prevent charges of "racism". Not only that but it would add more variety to the game rather than always have Aztecs be the late-starting backwards Civs in the New World.

Anyway in case anyone missed the point, what I wanted to achieve was to create various REGIONS on a given world map. There would be a couple "Europe" regions with lots high-tech nations and there would be various regions akin to our Earth's N/S America and Africa that are setup for colonization and exploitation at a later stage populated with late-starting Civs.

But if the map is set up right and terrain is impassable and REXing is eliminated, then perhaps having the computer create late-starting backwards Civs may not be necessary as perhaps certain geographical and political sitautions would make this happen more times than not.

I just feel though that exploration, colonization, and exploitation of the New World should be a natural part of the epic game which is why I suggested that certain regions of the world be populated with late starting Civs.
polypheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16, 2004, 20:05   #94
okblacke
Apolyton University
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud

Hmm... but what about people who'll shout "racism" at the first sign of anything like that?

although, I do have to admit, you make a lot of sense with your points Okblacke
F*ck 'em if they can't take a joke? There's certainly an historical basis for handicapping some tribes.

I know I'm not the only Nethack player here. One of the reasons Nethack has had such tremendous longevity is that it's distinctly imbalanced. Some classes are designed to be easier for the newbie, and some are designed to be much, much harder.

And, much like the better Nethack players, the better Civ players adopt additional handicaps to keep Civ interesting.

The only real problem I see with it is adopting the AI so that it can play the handicapped civs reasonably well.

[ok]
Old January 16, 2004, 20:44   #95
joncha
MacNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 23:22
I think any imbalance should come from how the game shakes itself out, not from the handicapped of civs misguidedly deemed "backward" by someone. The isolation that continents or archipeligo maps create for some civs create this already. It should not be hardcoded into any of the civs.

I think the distribution of starting techs, and the relative strengths/weaknesses of traits and unique units in civ3, along with the "luck of the draw" of starting locations, are about as far as I would accept in a game like civilization.

Historical scenarios are a different story. If you want to reenact conquest and genocide in the Americas, don't whitewash it. But to suggest that on a random earth, with random starts, nations like the Zulus or the Aztecs will always have a tough time of it is racism, whether people "shout about it" is besides the point.

jon.

And just in case a disputant, calls you to dispute about their claims,
Do not, then, dispute on them, except by way of an external dispute.
joncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2004, 00:18   #96
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 10:22
Quote:
Originally posted by okblacke
Game balance is over-rated.
No, it really isn't.
Old January 18, 2004, 22:47   #97
okblacke
Apolyton University
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by joncha
I think any imbalance should come from how the game shakes itself out, not from the handicapped of civs misguidedly deemed "backward" by someone. The isolation that continents or archipeligo maps create for some civs create this already. It should not be hardcoded into any of the civs.
Ah, but they already are, to a degree. It's easier to play a particular style of game based on the civ you're playing. If the map doesn't lend itself to that sort of play, you're handicapped. As you point out:

Quote:
I think the distribution of starting techs, and the relative strengths/weaknesses of traits and unique units in civ3, along with the "luck of the draw" of starting locations, are about as far as I would accept in a game like civilization.
. . .
But to suggest that on a random earth, with random starts, nations like the Zulus or the Aztecs will always have a tough time of it is racism, whether people "shout about it" is besides the point.
"Racism" would be to suggest that a particular race should inherently be worse at some action or other. Note that this is already built in with tribal traits: Scientific tribes read better, militaristic tribes fight better (though the system remains the same, militaristic tribes get the extra hitpoints faster), etc.

I suggest we retire the issue of "racism" entirely, therefore, because I don't believe there's any racist intent here. Civ benefits from the variety, which can be eliminated, if so desired.

The problem with the tribes, the way they are now (and the way they would be exaggerated) if they were specifically made with certain advantages, was pointed out to me by a friend who's a student of "cultural geography". Others have mentioned it here, too.

Take the Zulu out of the jungle and give them a fertile plain to develop on. Will they be more successful? Presumably. Will they still be Zulu, however?

Would the English still be the English if they didn't inhabit that floating rock in the North Sea?

There's no question that the U.S. of A. would not be what it is without having had its frontier to expand to.

There's a serious temporal factor in all this, too, which is completely unimplementable in the current model. You don't have America without a history of religious repression in Europe, John Locke, and a middle class.

And perhaps this is the flaw with tribal traits, period. As many have suggested, and I'm coming to agree, a civilization's traits evolve from its actions (which in turn evolve from its geography, at least in part).

This could be an interesting way to go for Civ 4. Start each Civ out with no techs. As the people develop, their skills grow. Near a river? They can develop irrigation. Lots of mountains? They can develop mining. In a jungle? Unlikely to develop either irrigation or mining, but greater movement through jungle terrain (and perhaps warrior skills from fighting the elements).

Fighting could result in warrior code, horses in horseback riding (eventually).

Caravans could make a comeback, resulting in road tech and, once a route was established, resulting in the possibility of resource trading. Trade would result in currency.

Trade would also result in concepts between civs transferring. They use this thing called a wheel to haul stuff. We need to get some o' that!

Religion could evolve along traditional lines: Bad luck, like disease, starvation, extraordinary bad or good luck in battle could give birth to mysticism. Evolutions like an entrenched religious class seem to be tied to wealth (and not, as Civ has it, Monotheism :sigh: ).

What would be cool would be--there's a new game coming out that does this...can't remember what it's called, but it lets you choose your culture's identity mid-game. You can't play the Americans in the stone age, but you can become the Americans later on.

It might be particularly cool if you could switch your national character at age changes, and this had an impact. Well, we used to be Egypt and industrious and religious, but now we're Greek, so we're scientific and commercial, and then we became Rome, so we're militaristic and expansionist.

Something like that might be cool. The switch could take place like government switches, with the interim time giving you no bonus at all.

Anyway, long rambling message that I hope makes some contribution.

[ok]
Old January 18, 2004, 22:58   #98
okblacke
Apolyton University
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker

No, it really isn't.
Yes, it really is.

Shall we exchange another 12 posts like this, or would you like to elaborate?

In MP, game balance is important, though (IMO) it's also important to allow handicapping.

In SP, game balance can be death, because once you've won the game, it has no replay value. Part of Civ's best replay value comes from the fact you can start off in a horrible position with the wrong traits. Like expansionist on a small tundra island.

[ok]
Old January 19, 2004, 07:30   #99
Plotinus
Prince

Local Time: 15:22
I very much like the idea of traits evolving through the game. It does seem silly to give the Mongols a UU that rides over mountains like they're plains if the Mongols in your game live on the biggest desert this side of Jupiter. Obviously, in real life the English are sea-faring because they happen to live on an island, the Dutch are agricultural because they are squeezed onto the edge of a continent and have been forced to create what is essentially dehydrated sea to live on, and so on. Of course, making traits solely history-dependent would remove the element of choosing which Civ to be in the first place. It would be nice ot have a balance between the two - Civs are hard-coded in some ways, but evolve in others.
Plotinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19, 2004, 10:55   #100
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 16:22
What about something like this:
CivA starts on an island with good possibilities for agriculture. Because the civ builds lots of ships and irrigration, they become seafaring and agricultural after some time. Now, let's say that later, they begin to build lots of industry, thus gaining the possibility to become industrial. If the game is set to let a civ have only two traits(this should be moddable), CivA should get the option to either replace one of their old traits or keep them as they are.

What do you think?(hopefully this isn't proposed yet. I've not had the time to reread the thread. )
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2004, 20:35   #101
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by okblacke

Yes, it really is.

Shall we exchange another 12 posts like this, or would you like to elaborate?

In MP, game balance is important, though (IMO) it's also important to allow handicapping.

In SP, game balance can be death, because once you've won the game, it has no replay value. Part of Civ's best replay value comes from the fact you can start off in a horrible position with the wrong traits. Like expansionist on a small tundra island.

[ok]
That's not bad game balance. The game is unbalanced when certain strategies are inherently worse than other strategies. If you want a more difficult game, you choose a higher difficulty level.
Old January 20, 2004, 22:15   #102
POTUS
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusMacCivilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Location: How could I possibly not have a Mozambican flag, I mean, what other country has an AK-47 on their flag?
I think that game balance is not important, as long as there are some strategies that work for each civ, but different strategies work better in some situations, than in others.
Old January 21, 2004, 06:41   #103
okblacke
Apolyton University
Warlord

Quote:
That's not bad game balance. The game is unbalanced when certain strategies are inherently worse than other strategies. If you want a more difficult game, you choose a higher difficulty level.
It always seems to come down to semantics, doesn't it?

You're talking about a different kind of balance than I am. And not very precisely, if I may be so bold.

I mean, if my Civ strategy is to build nothing but warriors and try to take over the world with them, that's inherently worse (i.e., "less likely to succeed", I can only guess that's what you mean by "worse") than a strategy that involves acquiring techs, building a few cities, doing some terrain improvements, etc.

It's inherently harder in Civ to win being a pure pacifist or never expanding. People do it, of course, but these are considered challenges for the best players. They're bad strategies for winning.

Civ offers a lot of incentives to balance strategies, but it still heavily favors certain approaches. Expansionist, industrial and military approaches in particular in Civ 3. In previous Civs, science was a killer, in the sense that you could turtle-up and trust in your tech to protect you from AI onslaughts. (Though Civ has always favored expansionist play.) C3C practically requires a certain degree of military aggression (probably the direct inverse of how much you expanded).

If Civ were truly "balanced" (in this sense of the word), it would be just as feasible to dominate without expanding with new cities or military. You could do it with trade or science or culture.

Of course, it'd be an entirely different game.

[ok]
Old January 21, 2004, 07:23   #104
okblacke
Apolyton University
Warlord

Quote:
OK, so what I'm talking about, as far as "game balance" is probably exemplified by "Starcraft", and it has nothing to do with strategy. (There's really only one feasible strategy in "Starcraft" but a fair number of tactics.)

In any basic Starcraft map, all players start off with equal footing. Whichever race, where ever they are physically loacted, they have an equal chance to win. Each troop type has a counter and each tactic has a counter-tactic.

By contrast, Civ is wildly imbalanced. The Civs are in no way on equal footing. (I think someone recently posted a start on a two-square island. ) In addition, the inherent characteristics of certain tribes almost always succeed over the others (in my Conquest games, the Celts, Portugese and Dutch are always the killer tribes, when they exist).

This is what I mean by "game balance": at turn 1, all players start in an environment that gives them an equal chance for success. In other words, the only thing that determines who wins the game is player skill.

The greater the impact of the starting position, the less balanced the game is. In games of chance (like poker or craps), the high randomity is balanced by quantity. Over time, good and bad luck are overwhelmed by statistics. It's harder to play a 100 games of Civ than 100 hands of poker, though.

In MP, game balance is pretty critical. Ideally, you can set it. And, of course, in Civ, the best players can minimize the impact of their starting positoin to a degree.

In SP, game balance is not really that important. In the early days of computer gaming, games were wildly unfair to compensate for the fact that there wasn't much to them. Your goal was to "beat the game" and, once you beat it, it was over.

These days, games tend to favor the player, since most people don't like to lose. (They're shorter, too.) The SP games with real longevity (not including modding) are the ones that add imbalance in a manner that makes them satisfying to beat. (That's why a lot of folks really wanted that emperor-diety substep added.)

Of course, in Civ, two things pop up:

1. Trying to balance a game is probably technically impossible without completely eliminating geographical variety and random tribe placement.

2. The adjustible game imbalances that pass for "difficulty levels" are just a serious crutch for inadequate AI. C3's AI is much better than previous Civ's, but this sort of imbalance is going to be necessary for a long time to come, I expect.

OK, lecture mode off. I hope that clarifies what I'm trying to get across.
Old January 21, 2004, 15:42   #105
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
In MP, game balance is pretty critical. Ideally, you can set it. And, of course, in Civ, the best players can minimize the impact of their starting positoin to a degree.
A special balanced MP map generator is planned for the next C3C patch.

Quote:
In SP, game balance is not really that important. In the early days of computer gaming, games were wildly unfair to compensate for the fact that there wasn't much to them. Your goal was to "beat the game" and, once you beat it, it was over.
However, such "imbalance" should be based on start position and randomness. Nonrandom things need to be balanced for MP to work.

Last edited by Kuciwalker; January 21, 2004 at 23:43.
Kuciwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2004, 21:51   #106
okblacke
Apolyton University
Warlord

Quote:
A special balanced MP map generator is planned for the next C3C patch.
Cool!

Quote:
However, such "imbalance" should be based on start position and randomness. However, nonrandom things need to be balanced for MP to work.
Generally. The playing field doesn't have to be level, but the bumps have to be known.

[ok]
Old January 22, 2004, 17:49   #107
Brent
Prince

Racism

Would people still have PC problems if only extinct peoples had the problem characteristics?

Randomized Handicaps

For the people who don't want preprogrammed traits: Do you agree with me about having many civs whose only differences are things like city names?

Developed Traits

I would not object to traits being created by your environment and experiences.

Temporal Factors

I don't think I've mentioned this yet for Civ4, and most people probably don't remember me mentioning it for Civ3. What if the standard game didn't begin at the beginning of history. What if the American Civ begins between 1500 and 1800 AD, with other civs already having much territory, but handicapped to reflect how America or whichever other Civ surpassed them in real history. The game could only last for a few centuries, and your score would come from how you were doing at the height of your civilization. You might be predestined to be destroyed after a few centuries. You wouldn't have any 20 or 50 year turns. Perhaps somehow China could start at the beginning of history and last to the present day. If you play one game in ancient times, as the Babylonians maybe, you could later start a new game in the future of the first game as a different civ, with the computer generating what happened in between.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2004, 23:58   #108
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

bump.
Old February 14, 2004, 01:13   #109
POTUS
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusMacCivilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Location: How could I possibly not have a Mozambican flag, I mean, what other country has an AK-47 on their flag?
Quote:
Originally posted by Brent
Racism

Would people still have PC problems if only extinct peoples had the problem characteristics?

Extinct peoples???
I thought homo erectus was dominant and unthreatened, not extinct.

But, what about Peruvians and Inca?
Old February 14, 2004, 07:42   #110
lajzar
Prince

For scenarios, of course give whatever traits you feel are appropriate. For the grand campaign game, how about making the cultural traits (seafaring, militaristic, etc) researcheable options?

Each trait should have a specific ancient-era tech to unlock it. A nation may have a maximum of 2 traits active at a time. If it has 2 already, the only way it can 'research' a new trait is by first voluntarily losing one of the traits; you lose the older trait before you start researching the new trait. It costs nothing to lose a trait (except for the specific bonuses that trait gave).
Is named Abdul Abulbul Amir
lajzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2004, 14:08   #111
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Um.. this is peripheral, but your city displays should have people of your race only up until the 20th century, in which they become multicultural. That would be a nice touch.
Old February 14, 2004, 14:47   #112
joncha
MacNationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Brent
Racism

Yes.

And just in case a disputant, calls you to dispute about their claims,
Do not, then, dispute on them, except by way of an external dispute.
joncha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2004, 18:33   #113
okblacke
Apolyton University
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Agathon
Um.. this is peripheral, but your city displays should have people of your race only up until the 20th century, in which they become multicultural. That would be a nice touch.
Hmmm. Some ancient cities were most certainly multi-cultural. (Wasn't Jerusalem divided into three sections at one point?)

It's that ol' scaling issue again. In 600 BCE, Babylon might have Egyptians, Persians, Sumerians, Hittites, etc. etc. etc. within its walls. By the middle-ages, and certainly by the industrial, we might lump them all together as Semitic peoples.

To add to the confusion, while we might regard Semitic peoples as having more similarities than differences, they might be willing to die for those differences.

I think that mechanic probably works as well as it's going to.

[ok]
Old February 15, 2004, 21:54   #114
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
Not all modern civs are necessarily multicultural... the only reason I would support this is if the different 'colors/races' would come via immigration rather than some arbitraryness.

Anyways, who's to say that in our game of civilization that the 'races' will evolve as they did in this day and age. Everyone in our games might be black or white or have asian/mongolian characteristics just due to the 'cultural exchange levels between civs'
Old March 1, 2004, 06:08   #115
Kramsib
Spanish CiversApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 16:22
Location: PG's ID: 0000 Founder of PROGRESSIVE GAMES. Living in Leganés (Madrid), but born in SANTANDER
FROM THE SPANISH COMMUNITY LIST

Quote:
25. Bring back the Civil Wars in which a Civ were divided into several factions when its capital was taken.
25. bis When a city is far enough from the capital city and fells in civil disorder, it could proclaim its independence, thus beginning a civil war.
Kramsib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1, 2004, 07:30   #116
Plotinus
Prince

Local Time: 15:22
Quote:
Originally posted by POTUS I thought homo erectus was dominant and unthreatened, not extinct.
I'm afraid I have bad news for you: Homo erectus became extinct around a quarter of a million years ago. The ape-descended life forms you see around you are in fact the ironically-named Homo sapiens. Although looking around me, I often wonder if erectus is really as vanished as we thought...
Plotinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2, 2004, 00:53   #117
BiggJase
Settler

If the Barbarians are capable of acting similarly to any other civ what's the point in having them? Aren't they best used as something that will just attack you to keep you on your toes and add a little something extra to the game? Wouldn't there aim merely be to rob you of your riches and scarper?

Regarding migration, perhaps sometime during the Industrial Age a civ could operate an "open door" policy that would allow citizens from any civs could join another civ and contribute just as effectively (whilst retaining there nationality).

Last edited by BiggJase; March 2, 2004 at 01:34.
BiggJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27, 2004, 21:01   #118
Noffius
Settler

Kind of wish the debate about what civs to add would rage on.

This thread is very much appreciated by modders looking for ideas on what civs to add to our games.
Noffius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2004, 17:21   #119
MJohn99519
Settler

Local Time: 09:22
I like the idea of the minor civs instead of barbarians, and letting them become more important as they conquered their neighbors. On the other hand, having that many civs in the game could seriously slow down the game play on older systems. It sounds like a really good idea, though....maybe make it an optional setting, or part of an expansion pack, that way the people with the older computer could still enjoy the basics of the game.
MJohn99519 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2004, 17:00   #120
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

keep the most interesting civs from civ3. obviously the classic ones, i think a lot of the conquest and ptw ones were money. in civ4 i would not include the hittites or the sumerians - too many civs from those area. 32 civs seem about right. add maybe some from south east asia/ oceanaia