Old October 15, 2004, 15:58   #91
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 10:22
Local Date: November 2, 2010
What about the following system regulating special resources, which could work on top of SMAC-style automatic trade.

Strategic resource tiles produce a certain amount of raw materials per turn, say 100. The player then allocates a certain part of it for domestic consumption, and another that would be available for world trade.

Resources going towards domestic consumption, up to a certain level, help the economy. They might give bonus shields or stuff like that. Resources are then traded on the world market a la Hearts of Iron. Basically, if X has excess oil but no bauxite, he sets up the following offer on the trade screen: X is willing to buy 150 Bauxite per turn in exchange for 100 Oil.

Each turn, the game computes offer and demand and resolves who's getting what. Of course, the 'market pool' will be different for every civilization, because not everyone has the same commercial deals with other nations.

A government that wants to use resources has to buy them with gold from its citizens, and the price should vary depending on the government. In a Democracy that would be like 3gp per unit while in Communism resources for direct military use would be free.

So three things can be done with resources: bought for military use, kept for dometic consumption, or made available for other resources on the world market.

Luxuries should disappear. They are sufficiently abstracted by a SMAC-like automatic trade system.
"Now you're gonna ask me, is it an enforcer's job to drop the gloves against the other team's best player? Well sure no, but you've gotta know, these guys, they don't think like you and me." (Joël Bouchard, commenting on the Gaborik-Carcillo incident).
Oncle Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2004, 20:14   #92
Trade-peror
Settler

Local Time: 06:22
A new set of ideas
Hello!

I am new to Apolyton, but I have many ideas for Civ4's economic and trade system that I have discussed in other forums, such as Civilization Fanatics' Center. Since this list of ideas appears to already have been completed, however, is it too late for me to post any suggestions?
Trade-peror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 14, 2004, 20:20   #93
Jon Shafer
PtWDG RoleplayPtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG Neu DemogypticaInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG LegolandPtWDG Vox ControliPtWDG Glory of WarPtWDG2 SunshineApolyton UniversityC3CDG Desolation RowApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG SarantiumApolyCon 06 ParticipantsPtWDG Lux Invicta
Firaxis Games Programmer/Designer

Too late for what?

Firaxis almost assuredly already has their economics engine in place. Anything else is just for fun.
Jon Shafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2004, 12:50   #94
Xorbon
Prince

You're not too late for Civ 5!
Xorbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 27, 2004, 10:24   #95
Calvin Vu
Warlord

Local Time: 14:22
I guess I'm another camel lover who hates the CTP-type trading. Protecting the trade routes is unfun. I don't see why moving a camel ONCE from one city to another to establish a trade route (essentially by issuing a single GOTO command) is too much trouble and yet moving military units up and down the trade routes every single turn to protect them is not.

The CTP piracy idea was a broken idea [to make sure that players can't develop their empire peacefully without producing tons of military unit and brandishing them ? ]. I probably don't mind too much if destroying a trade route is considered an act of war, and should not be done lightly just to annoy the heck out of the human player.

I don't want to touch CTP and the annoying piracy is one of the reasons. It has nice graphics and some neat ideas for a user-friendy interface but that's about it .
Calvin Vu is offline   Reply With Quote