Old May 10, 2001, 09:09   #1
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Local Time: 06:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Hellas PBEM game
For those still interested, I'd still like to do that Hellas game.

So, all interested, please post (once again) your nick-name, e-mail, by the position you want to play, assuming its not taken. Once we got everybody, I must ask Sparta to start.

The Turn Order is as follows:

Sparta
Athens ----- JMarks - JMShrader@aol.com
Chalcideans
Corinthians
Thebans

Who's still in?
Old May 10, 2001, 10:26   #2
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 07:16
I want Cachlidians
Email:
henrik.lohmander@telia.com
Old May 10, 2001, 14:51   #3
SCDARS
Civilization II Multiplayer
Warlord

Nothing else left, I'll try the Corinthians if allowed.

Email -> Signature

------------------
SCDARS
scenario_feedback@hotmail.com
Old May 10, 2001, 16:34   #4
MagyarCrusader

Sparta- MagyarCrusader
michael@jeszenka.com

------------------
"The Rumanians are really the most reliable people in the world when it comes to depending upon their breaking any promises they make." - General Harry Hill Bandholtz, US Army, 22 NOV 1919. General Bandholtz was the one who saved the Crown Jewels from the Rumanians. His statue sits in front of the American Embassy in Budapest.
Truth

Old May 10, 2001, 19:31   #5
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Sparta ----- MagyarCrusader - michael@jeszenka.com
Athens ----- JMarks - JMShrader@aol.com
Chalcideans- Henrik - henrik.lohmander@telia.com
Corinthians- SCDARS - scenario_feedback@hotmail.com
Thebans

Guess nobody wants the Thebans. If anyone still wants in I guess they can still join. So, unless I'm missing something (which I probably am), Crusader, will you start as Sparta?
Old May 11, 2001, 00:50   #6
MagyarCrusader

Yes I'll be happy to start but first I have a few questions.

1)Is the difficulty going to be on the standard level, Tyrant?

2)My version of Hellas was downloaded from St Leo's website a while ago, when it first came out I think. Is there a newer version I should download?

3)How do we conduct negotiations? Personally, I don't want the AI to take over my place during somebody's turn and sign an alliance with a civ whose capital I'm about to take.

I will start the game after we figure these things out.

BTW, in addittion to my email, my AIM username is MagyarCrusader in case anybody has that and wants to contanct me.

------------------
"The Rumanians are really the most reliable people in the world when it comes to depending upon their breaking any promises they make." - General Harry Hill Bandholtz, US Army, 22 NOV 1919. General Bandholtz was the one who saved the Crown Jewels from the Rumanians. His statue sits in front of the American Embassy in Budapest.
Truth

Old May 11, 2001, 00:56   #7
Shaka Naldur
Civilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
Emperor

I´m not sure,
If I can play a Bonaparte one I don´t play this one
I´m already playing two more games and I don´t have enough time
Old May 11, 2001, 08:06   #8
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Knew I forgot something...

So, unless anyone else has something to add, I'll try to tackel the questions.

1) Yes, we'll use the Tyrant level since it is multiplayer

2) Yes, we all should check that we have the same version. The notes in mine say its the final version (of course that doesn't stop the author from comming back and change it all over again, but I did get it recently)

3)Negotiations, now theres the rub. I'll need some advice and reproach for the advice I'm giving, but we could do it one of two ways. We could say no negotiation with out negotiation (outside of game), or we could set attitudes (unless thats only hotseat) and just hope for the better. The latter would have some historical accuracy to it, since the will of the Tyrant is often suplanted by subordinates or the people. Any ideas that I'm completely missing that'll make us really happy? Otherwise I guess we'll have to live with it.

JMarks

Old May 11, 2001, 10:41   #9
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

quote:

Originally posted by JMarks on 05-11-2001 08:06 AMor we could set attitudes (unless thats only hotseat) and just hope for the better.JMarks

It is possible in net games too so this si probably what we will do.
Old May 11, 2001, 16:48   #10
MagyarCrusader

My view on negotiations is that there should be no in game negotiations unless players make negotiations outside the game via emails or apolyton or whatever. In that case when both players come to some sort of agreement, the first player can set his attitude to the other player to be worshipful and the second player can forge the alliance, or peace. If there is no outside negotiation, then we should make it a house rule to decline to meet with the emissaries of player nations.

I'll do my turn now and pass it on.

------------------
Truth

Old May 11, 2001, 23:27   #11
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

I agree with the negotiations, no sneaky dealings. If deals (such as tech trade) are made out of game, make the desired techs gifts (should ther AI not want to trade, or trade for the right thing). Both sides must uphold such deals. No greek backstabing!
Finished my turn and have sent it the next in line.
Old May 13, 2001, 13:20   #12
SCDARS
Warlord

I cannot think of any reason why there shouldn't even pop up any selection screen... Have you checked if there is a modified game.txt?
Can they not even bribe units?
P.S: I'm looking forward for my first turn, but please zip the savegame before sending...
Old May 13, 2001, 13:33   #13
Henrik
Emperor

Units is ok to bribe, this is really strange.
The @SPYOPTIONS dialogue exists in the game.txt too...
The notes.txt included doesn't mention anything about this...
Old May 13, 2001, 13:59   #14
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

That is wierd, for I was able to bribe cities with my herald. Since I'm not over there I couldn't begin to think of what is wrong.
Old May 13, 2001, 14:05   #15
Henrik
Emperor

I was using version 1.1 (which I had just downloaded from Johns site to make sure I was using the same version as the rest of us) and when I tried whit my old version (1.0) I could bribe cities (and all of the other stuff too)

Therefore i decided to use the old version (if the others can bribe cities why shouldn't I be allowed to?).
I have played my turn and sent it along.
[This message has been edited by Henrik (edited May 13, 2001).]
Old May 13, 2001, 16:00   #16
Henrik
Emperor

Message to all of the rulers of the city states of Greece:
I Henrikus of Calchis hereby anounce the vasalisation of Tanagra and Oropus, these two cities should from now and on be considered as Calchidian territory and any agressions against these two cities will be considered an act of war!
Old May 13, 2001, 16:34   #17
MagyarCrusader

Henrik, I believe the gods are trying to tell you that you should not be wasting your money on bribing cities. Instead, you should be paying tribute to the Spartans!!! muwahahahah!!!!

------------------
Truth

Old May 13, 2001, 18:00   #18
SCDARS
Warlord

quote:

Periander, recently instituted Tyrant of Corinth, has just proclaimed that he is basically not interested in military inland expansion, but seeks to secure his trading aims. Consistently he has sent his troops to Nisaea and Sunion in order to fight piracy. After their first success on battlefield, his Corinthian troops are resting just in front of the pirate cities' gates.

It's only too understandable that any support of those criminals (as well as any attempt of other states to seize control of those two pirate towns!) will be seen as casus belli.

I'm going to pass the game on right now.
[This message has been edited by SCDARS (edited May 13, 2001).]
Old May 13, 2001, 20:12   #19
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Message to All Greek Brothers.
I look forward to trade with all of you, however, any foray into the free cities of Attica will been seen as a gesture of war. That goes double for the tyrant of Chalcis. Relent from your purpose toward Oropus, or face the consiquences.
Tyrant of Athens, Ioanes

PS Henrik, a Greek version of your name would be Henrikos, not Henrikus. The later is a Latin form. If you recall, the Latins are barbarians.
Old May 14, 2001, 00:48   #20
MagyarCrusader

All of Greece trembles at the sound of Spartans descending upon the rebellious city of Messene! The traitorous "Other Greek" states have declared war upon our city. We shall show Greece what happens to those that cross Sparta!

------------------
Truth

Old May 14, 2001, 00:55   #21
Henrik
Emperor

Just a quick question before I complete my turn:
Has anyone got an idea why my heralds are unable to bribe cities (The dialog wont show up! It is like trying to enter a land square whit a submarine! (this is not the case (I checked that in the rules.txt)))
Old May 14, 2001, 02:06   #22
Henrik
Emperor

quote:

Originally posted by JMarks on 05-13-2001 08:12 PM
Message to All Greek Brothers.
I look forward to trade with all of you, however, any foray into the free cities of Attica will been seen as a gesture of war. That goes double for the tyrant of Chalcis. Relent from your purpose toward Oropus, or face the consiquences.
Tyrant of Athens, Ioanes

Perhaps I didn't makie myself clear:
Oropus is as of now a calchidian protectorate, our armies along whit those of our vassal was let into the city about a month ago, I am suprised that the news hasn't reached Athens yet...
quote:

Originally posted by JMarks on 05-13-2001 08:12 PM
PS Henrik, a Greek version of your name would be Henrikos, not Henrikus. The later is a Latin form. If you recall, the Latins are barbarians.

Does that look like Henrikus? It is henrikos, the ink has smugged

P.S
Are we allowed to negotiate whit the other greeks and thebans?
Old May 14, 2001, 10:42   #23
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Yes, any civ that is not human controled we may freely converse with. Speaking of which, the Thebans have agreed that the seizure of Oropus was an uncalled for threat toward the Athenians, her friends, and have declared war on the Chalcidians. I call on all Greek peoples to help in the crusade to oust all foreigners from Attica. Doing so will ensure friendship with the Athenian peoples which will result in future trade.

Tyrant of Athens, Ioanes (with an eta)
[This message has been edited by JMarks (edited May 14, 2001).]
Old May 14, 2001, 15:49   #24
SCDARS
Warlord

quote:

After the liberation of some slaves who got houses assigned in Corinth, our proud city has reached the biggest population in Hellas. The only drawback is that this act of emancipating the slaves also implied that the grown population has bigger influence on Periander.

The passioned men on street are outraged how the Athenians sneak-attack our Chalcidean trading partners, making a plot with the treacherous Thebans and putting forward insolent claims on Sunion, which has now been cleared from pirates. The Corinthian demos demands that the Athenians sent tribute to Chalcis for reconciliation. Some voices even demand Salamis should be handed out to Corinthian forces in order control if Athens is really willing to maintan peace and friendship between our noble city states.

The good-natured tyrant of Corinth regrets that he cannot promise he will be able calm down his own people any longer, unless the Athenians obey their conditions.

[This message has been edited by SCDARS (edited May 15, 2001).]
Old May 14, 2001, 17:01   #25
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Indeed, the god-natured tyrant of Corinth seems to see himself as a god himself. I would think that he would be above bribing freed slaves into bulling the rest of his population into an unwanted war! Any man claiming to be a god will provoke the wrath of the gods! I call on all righteous men of Greece to teach these god-impersonators a lesson!
Old May 14, 2001, 17:17   #26
MagyarCrusader

Sparta assimilated a village into slaves and have been added to the population of Sparta.

Old May 14, 2001, 18:05   #27
JMarks
Civilization II PBEM
Prince

Athens has destroyed the Chalcidean army based in Oropus. Therefore we offer the hand of fellowship to the Chalcideans and support their efforts in Euboea.
Old May 15, 2001, 02:17   #28
Henrik
Emperor

I will quote what I wrote in the 2194days of war thread as all in it applies here as well:
quote:

Originally posted by Henrik on 05-15-2001 02:15 AM
Does anyone know why my cities wouldn't go trough the upkeep phase last turn?
How did you end last turn JMarks?
I think you might have done something wrong becouse as I said my cities never produced anything (despite of the fact that the shield box was full (I bought stuff on the first turn)) and I didn't get any research either!
I don't want to contnue untill this matter is cleared up, all other pbem games I play work perfectly except for the Hellas game where you also are the one to handle the file before me.
Something is wrong here, I can't produce/research anything in both these games where you conduct your turn before me, what is wrong?

I don't want to continue untill this is sorted out, as it is now I am at a serious disadvantage!
Old May 15, 2001, 02:31   #29
SCDARS
Warlord

quote:

Originally posted by SCDARS on 05-14-2001 03:49 PM
The god-natured tyrant of Corinth...

OK, it should have been good-natured, maybe we should better write in Greek rather than in English...

[This message has been edited by SCDARS (edited May 15, 2001).]
Old May 15, 2001, 15:59   #30
MagyarCrusader

Well Henrik, you could give me your password and I'll open your game and I could see if anything is wrong. Then you can just change your password to something different.

Also, I will email you the save I emailed JMarks. Use this as a test. Open up your turn, which will skip JMarks. If you can build stuff and everything works, then we know for sure JMarks is doing something odd at the end of his turn.

------------------
Truth