Old December 11, 2003, 18:04   #1
Ray K
Prince

Local Time: 09:24
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Java MOO discussion thread
After a long stint of GalCiv, I'm back to working on a Java-based implementation of the original Master of Orion.

You can see info on the progress and some screenshots here:

click here

I am going link to this thread from that page to facilitate any discussion specific to Java Moo.

Last edited by Ray K; December 11, 2003 at 18:14.
Ray K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11, 2003, 18:26   #2
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 10:24
That is good new in my book. I would like to see it someday.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2003, 19:48   #3
Ray K
Prince

I've added 3 more screenshots -- the technology research screen, the colony information screen, and a screen showing the "new colony" dialog. In the last one, you can see the sliders I've added to allow player control of the colonies.

Of course, you can still have the AI run a colony for you -- which is something you couldn't do in the original game.
Old December 29, 2003, 02:14   #4
Ray K
Prince

update to page
I've updated the page with a 22-screen walkthrough to give you an idea of where the game is currently at.

click here

Last edited by Ray K; December 29, 2003 at 14:35.
Ray K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2003, 18:12   #5
P-K
Warlord

Local Time: 14:24
I saw u link i am dissapointed abit. U wrote there Moo2 is less fun and worse then Moo1. I think much different so maybe why i wont be interested in ur project.
But still i wish u good luck in makin it !

PK
P-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2003, 18:40   #6
Ray K
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by P-K
I saw u link i am dissapointed abit. U wrote there Moo2 is less fun and worse then Moo1. I think much different so maybe why i wont be interested in ur project.
But still i wish u good luck in makin it !

PK
There was a lot to like in MOO2, but my biggest gripe was that it introduced colony improvements, much like what already existed in Civ. So yeah, it was less fun for me.

MOO1 was better than most 4X games, IMO, because it did not require micromanaging of your colonies. I already had been playing Civ2 for some time when MOO2 came out, so it was hard to not be disappointed.

However, I do understand that there are plenty of people who prefer MOO2. What I am doing is not intend to convince anyone that MOO1 was better.
Old December 30, 2003, 02:58   #7
P-K
Warlord

We are back to oldest question in strategic TB games : micro or macro (manage) ? I love micro manage cos it gives a player supreme control over all or most elements and it gives the feelin that u can rule and set up ur empire what u really like. Macro gives much more less control and this is why it is less fun for me. For me it is simlpe : quality vs quantity. The choice is obvious

PK
P-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30, 2003, 10:41   #8
Ray K
Prince

Actually, you should have both.

When your empire is small, the ability to micromanage is great because it allows experience players to extract every iota of production from their colonies.

But as your empire grows, the micromanaging grows as well. At some point, it becomes a hindrance to the broader goal of conquering the world (or galaxy).

MOO1 solved this problem by limiting the number of improvements per colony. Once a colony was fully developed, it could be turned into a production or research center and left alone. You weren't deciding which improvement to build on your first colonies until the end of the game, like every other 4X game. When certain techs were learned, the colony would automatically build the necessary improvements in a few turns. This freed the player to focus on the overall conquest and restricted the micro-managing to the recently-acquired colonies.
Old January 25, 2004, 03:36   #9
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 07:24
Actually, The problem with moo2 is that it was turned into MoM in Space, without the magic.

The artificial reduction of the space force was the biggest hurdle for me. I couldn't get past it in order to enjoy the notable improvements in other areas.

The problem with colony improvements wasn't that there were so many, but you could only build one of each! my planets weren't planets, they were now cities!

contrasted with the original's decisions to build many or few bases, whether to have a few big ships, or a passle of little ones. these choices weren't there in moo2.

Oh, and back on topic, I looked at the site, and shall be interested in progress. no downloads available yet, but I'm Watching....

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Father Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2004, 08:54   #10
boolybooly
Chieftain

I prefer the gameplay of MoO1. MoO2 and 3 did introduce some new elements which were likeable but they were not so well implemented and balanced as MoO1.

MoO1 balance is a work of art and even though very arithmetic or perhaps because of that it works much better than both the more complex games which seemed to get away from their designers a little, though I play them both.

My feeling is that JavaMoo is a great idea and once Ray has managed to reproduce/improve MoO1 then he might consider trying to add some of the nice bits from MoO2&3 in a more arithmetic and simplified way to JavaMoO in the same reduced style as the rest of MoO1. But I am not going to hassle him about things I would like right now as he is going well and I dont want to distract him, I want to play JavaMoO.
boolybooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2004, 12:41   #11
Ray K
Prince

"But I am not going to hassle him about things I would like right now as he is going well and I dont want to distract him, I want to play JavaMoO."

ME TOO.
Old January 27, 2004, 07:52   #12
boolybooly
Chieftain

With the increasing number of players having trouble running Moo1 on their newer systems Javamoo is no longer a luxury but a necessity!
boolybooly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 29, 2004, 17:55   #13
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 10:24
How about color coding for items researched vs those stolen or traded for? Default for researched and any ohter color for those gotten otherwise or even a unique color for stolen and traded.

Just so at the end of the game I can what kind of a draw I got.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1, 2004, 06:56   #14
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 22:24
Ray, it's fantastic that you are continuing the project. Good luck
Urban Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote