Old December 12, 2003, 12:42   #1
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

Local Time: 14:27
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Whaleboys kitchen...
I thought it would be a nice idea, considering that you all spend your lives in front of CRT's, to leave the bedroom and enter the mysterious realm of food preparation. And no, I'm not talking about pizzas or mars bars. I'm talking about real food that requires effort (but not much).

So post your recipes and fun dishes here, were we can comment on them, and take them into RL for the whole eating thing.

For something very fattening but nice...

Pasta. Cook dried pasta as usual. 14-17 mins in boiling water, I like spaghetti or penne best. Drain the water in a colander, and put the pasta back in the hot saucepan. Put in 35g of butter and toss to partially melt. Turn on the gas to a very low heat, just to keep it hot and chuck in a handful of grated cheese. I like a combination of mild cheddar, montery jack and mozzarella. Stir and toss, adding a little seasoning and chopped tomatoes to taste (I favourite of mine is pureed tomatoes in very weak veggie stock). It doesn't look like much, but it tastes nice!

Any improvements or favourites?
Old December 12, 2003, 12:58   #2
MrFun
Emperor

Local Time: 09:27
For me, one of my favorite dishes is pretty simple:

1)tuna
2)pinne lisce pasta
3)chopped red peppers
4)peas
5)cottage cheese

The only thing I have to actually cook, is the pasta, since the tuna I buy is the chopped type prepackaged in water.

I just combine the ingredients above, into a more healthy dish than I have eaten in the past.
Old December 12, 2003, 12:59   #3
MrFun
Emperor

Oh -- it's the low-fat cottage cheese that I use.
Old December 12, 2003, 13:06   #4
Japher
Emperor

14 to 17 minutes to cook pasta!!! That is way to long, do get slush? It only takes me 8 minutes!

Here's one that will wreck your colon:

Quick Chili

1 medium onion, chopped
1 jalapeno, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 Bay leaf
1 lb. ground beef
4 cups Beef Stalk
2 16 oz. can tomato sauce
2 16 oz. can stewed tomatos
1 16 oz. can Kidney Beans, drained
1 16 oz. can Black Beans, drained
1 Tbs Butter
Chili Pepper
Caynne Pepper
Salt
Garlic Salt
Pepper
Cheddar Chees, diced; for top or bottom

In a pan brown beef with some salt, pepper, and garlic salt (I don't use much, maybe a tsp of each).

In a large pot or Dutch Oven, add about butter, onion, garlic and jalapeno. Cook on medium heat until onion is soft. Add beef stalk and bay leaf. Simmer for 15 minutes, add tomato sauce and stewed tomatoes, cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes (this time will vary on the desired consistancy of your chili, just remember that it will thiken quit a bit when you add the beans and meat). Adjust seasoning with chili powder and cayanne. Add beans and beef, bring to a boil. Serve.

I put the cheese on the bottom of the bowl and laddle the chili over the chees so it gets good a melted. Also, it is a nice surprise... My wife always yells at me when I make it, "do we have any cheese"... I tell her "nope sorry"
Old December 12, 2003, 13:07   #5
Whaleboy
Prince

Another classic: Tuna sandwiches... thanks for reminding me MrFun.

White bread or bagels, toasted. Use butter.

Take a tin of tuna (the stuff in brine), scrape out into bowl, add a heaped teaspoon of mayo and about 20-25ml of malt vinegar (to taste). Mix to a pulp with a fork. Not a spoon. A fork. Place onto toast/bagels, raise to mouth, open mouth, insert toast/bagels into mouth, close mouth. Chew, swallow, repeat, wait for about 8 hours.....
Old December 12, 2003, 13:09   #6
Whaleboy
Prince

Quote:
14 to 17 minutes to cook pasta!!! That is way to long, do get slush? It only takes me 8 minutes!
I use crappy dry stuff and cook it so its only just boiling. Other people totally nuke the stuff, and I like it soft.

Japh: Should you really be posting this in public, with the whole paranoia about biological weapons?
Old December 12, 2003, 13:09   #7
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 22:27
Real fried rice.

The best to use is rice you made yesterday. It's drier that way. You should use a wok and added chopped scallion. Use a low flame and sufficient oil. Add whatever other stuff you want - bits of meat, chopped boiled egg, diced mushroom, whatever.

Yum.
Old December 12, 2003, 13:11   #8
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:27
Wittlich's GREAT Spaghetti Sauce
A. The first step is to combine the dry spices into a small bowl. Mix until well blended.

1. Oregano - 2 Tablespoons
2. Basil - 3 Tablespoons
3. Tarragon - 1 Teaspoon
4. Marjoram - 1 Teaspoon
5. Sage - 1 Teaspoon
6. Salt - 1 Teaspoon
7. Cumin - 1/2 Teaspoon
8. Fennel - 1/2 Teaspoon
9. Rosemary - 1/2 Teaspoon
10. Thyme - 1/2 Teaspoon
11. Red Pepper (Cayenne) - 1/4 Teaspoon
12. Black Pepper - 1/4 Teaspoon

B. The second step is to choose a large pot, place it on the stovetop over a medium heat.

1. In the pot, place 2 pounds of lean ground beef, or 2 pounds of ground turkey, or 1 pound of ground beef/turkey and 1 pound of sliced Italian sausage. Stir to brown.

2. Once the meat has been blanched (no need for it to be fully cooked), place 1 large onion, diced, and 4 cloves of garlic, diced, along with 2 four-once cans sliced mushrooms into the pot. Mix well.

3. Add 2 Cups of red wine (the cheaper, the better). I use either a cheap Merlot or a cheap Cabernet Sauvignon.

C. Now that you have your dry spices set aside and your meat simmering in the wine; now is the time to add the remaining ingredients.

1. Open two cans of "Italian-style" tomatoes (32oz). This style of tomato is also known as Roman-style. This style of canned tomato works best since they are "meatier" than your regular tomato. Dice the tomatoes, add to pot.

2. Open two cans of tomato sauce (15oz). Add to pot.

3. Open two cans of tomato paste (6oz). Add to pot.

D. Turn down the stovetop burner to "low" or "simmer."

1. Add the spices contained in the small bowl to the sauce. Mix well.

2. Slowly cook, uncovered, for about 6 hours, stirring approximately every 40 minutes.

E. This sauce is very versatile. Once the sauce is done, it can be kept refrigerated for 5-6 days. You will notice that the sauce actually tastes better after it has been refrigerated for a few days - the refrigeration time allows for the spices to mellow and compliment each other.

1. The sauce can be used over baked potatoes.

2. Over scrambled eggs, this sauce makes a welcomed addition.

3. In addition, even though it is a "Spaghetti" sauce, this same sauce can also be used in creating an outstanding Lasagna....but that's a different recipe.

F. Sauce "dos" and don'ts"

1. Even though all four of my source cookbooks call for the addition of water to the sauce, DO NOT add water! If your sauce is too thick, add more wine. If it's too thin, 6 hours of simmering (uncovered) will thicken the sauce.

2. A lot of recipes say to add a certain amount of sugar to the sauce. Again, do not add sugar. The wine used in the cooking of the sauce will add enough "natural" sweetener to the sauce.

3. During the time the sauce is simmering, be sure to leave the lid off of the pot. The lid needs to remain off in order to allow any extra water to "boil" off. Condensation will add water to the sauce if the lid is left on. This will lead to a runny or "watery" sauce.

Enjoy!!!
Old December 12, 2003, 13:15   #9
Japher
Emperor

Creamed Tuna on Toast, aka SOS

Make a rou (spelling); butter and flour mixture, thick. Probably 1 Tsp flour per 1 Tsp butter, 1:1 ratio. Melt butter in a pot add flour, bring to slight boil, do not burn.

I make 4 Tsp rou, add about 1/4 cup milk, simmer quickly, remove from heat add l can tuna. Salt and pepper to taste. Serve over toast.

Tuna Casserol

This is a good side dish, but I have served as a main dish.

Boil 8 oz. pasta (egg noddles or penne/ziti/rigatoni). Mix in two cans cream of mushroom soup, 1/2 cup peas (slightly cooked), 1/2 cup corn (slightly cooked), whole olives. Put in ungreased 8x8 in. baking dish. Cover with bread crumbs, season with salt and pepper. Bake on 350 for 15 minutes covered, uncover and cook for another 15 minutes or until crumbs are golden brown... Serve.
Old December 12, 2003, 13:17   #10
Jac de Molay
Prince

Glop

2 packs of Kraft mac and cheese.
Can of tuna.

Cook pasta from one package 6-7 minutes. Drain. Add cheese from both packages. Add tuna. DO NOT add Milk or butter. Stir until the consistency of industrial-strength epoxy is reached. Enjoy.

Note: Can also be used to patch fiberglass and as a radiator sealant.
"Perhaps a new spirit is rising among us. If it is, let us trace its movements and pray that our own inner being may be sensitive to its guidance, for we are deeply in need of a new way beyond the darkness that seems so close around us." --MLK Jr.
Old December 12, 2003, 13:17   #11
Whaleboy
Prince

UR: Am going to try that tonight, had rice last night, I'm sure theres leftovers

Wittlich: Sounds good!! . Not too sure about scrambled eggs though. Would make an excellent basis for a bolognaise of sorts. I like the idea of the spices transfusing into each other after a few days.. will add to the list.

Where can I get pumpkin seed oil? My dad tried rubbing into salmon steaks and they tasted incredible!! Roasted pumpkin seeds are also good... toast in a hot pan until they pop and eat. Good to throw at people on bus...

EDIT: @Jac
Old December 12, 2003, 13:18   #12
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 10:27
Making fajitas is really easy:

Requirements: boneless, skinless chicken breast. Tortillas. Onion. Pepper. Tomato. Bag-o-shredded cheese. Salsa. Sour Cream (optional). Guacamole (sp? optional).

Cut up some chicken (depending on how much you want, either a 1/2 breast or 2 of those). Cook it in a frying pan.

Cut up some onion & pepper. Cook in frying pan.

Cut up some tomato.

Right, now make your fajitas. Stick a bunch of chicken, onion, pepper, tomato, cheese, salsa/sour cream/gauc in a tortilla, roll it up and eat it.

Yum.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 12, 2003, 13:28   #13
Japher
Emperor

My Fried Rice:

Add 1 Tsp of oil to hot wok, add 1 Tsp ginger, 1 clove minced garlic, 1 clove shallot. Stir quickly, add day old rice, corn, peas, diced carrots. Stir several minutes. Add Soy sauce to desired consistancy, stir few more minutes. Add scallions. Make a well in the wok, add meat, fry until cooked. Combine and serve.
Old December 12, 2003, 13:30   #14
Richelieu
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
King

I'll be trying it this weekend Wittlich .
My biggest problem with spaghetti sauce is always with spicing it up: hopefully you just solved it.
Old December 12, 2003, 13:38   #15
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
1. Even though all four of my source cookbooks call for the addition of water to the sauce, DO NOT add water! If your sauce is too thick, add more wine. If it's too thin, 6 hours of simmering (uncovered) will thicken the sauce.

2. A lot of recipes say to add a certain amount of sugar to the sauce. Again, do not add sugar. The wine used in the cooking of the sauce will add enough "natural" sweetener to the sauce.

3. During the time the sauce is simmering, be sure to leave the lid off of the pot. The lid needs to remain off in order to allow any extra water to "boil" off. Condensation will add water to the sauce if the lid is left on. This will lead to a runny or "watery" sauce.
These are good tips

I see the add water thing a lot, in fact they add pasta water (the water left after cooking the pasta), and really ruins the flavor. Wine works

I hate sugar in my sauce, I agree

I use a splatter screen instead of lids for this

Quote:
1. Oregano - 2 Tablespoons
2. Basil - 3 Tablespoons
3. Tarragon - 1 Teaspoon
4. Marjoram - 1 Teaspoon
5. Sage - 1 Teaspoon
6. Salt - 1 Teaspoon
7. Cumin - 1/2 Teaspoon
8. Fennel - 1/2 Teaspoon
9. Rosemary - 1/2 Teaspoon
10. Thyme - 1/2 Teaspoon
11. Red Pepper (Cayenne) - 1/4 Teaspoon
12. Black Pepper - 1/4 Teaspoon
That's a lot of spice. Yet, looking through my spice wrack I actually have them all! Would you suggest just making a whole lot of this at once and labling it "Wittlich Seasoning"? Also, what about smoking the spices, heating them up in a dry pan before adding them to the sauce. I do this with a lot of dry spices and really brings out their flavor. Have you tried this?
Old December 12, 2003, 13:39   #16
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:27
Quote:
Originally posted by Whaleboy

I use crappy dry stuff and cook it so its only just boiling. Other people totally nuke the stuff, and I like it soft.
Two words: al dente

Philestine
Old December 12, 2003, 13:41   #17
Japher
Emperor

I have a friend who I had to teach to cook. The first time he made pasta he took a pot filled with water, added the pasta, and then brought the water to a boil and let cook for 8 minutes... It was disgusting!
Old December 12, 2003, 13:44   #18
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Beef Stew (I'm doing this from memory, the recipe is at home):

Ingredients:

2lb beef (bottom round is good), cut into small cubes.
3-4 potatoes
2-3 medium onions
1 15oz can of stewed tomato
1-2 15oz can(s) of peas
1-2 15oz can(s) of corn
A few celery stalks, chopped (I drop this)
Carrots... recipe calls for 4-6 carrots, but I use the "baby carrots" so I just eyeball it. I like 'em, so I put in lots
1 bay leaf
a slash (or two ) of worcester sauce
4 beef bullion cubes, dissolved in 4 cups boiling water

Start by browning the meat in a large pot*. Just brown it - no need to cook it through. edit: use some oil or shortening to prevent the meat from sticking & burning.

Then add the water/bullion, potatoes, the stewed tomato, bay leaf, carrots, celery (if any), and worcester. Crank up the heat until it starts simmering, and then drop the heat to "low" and cover. Cook for 6-8 hours (you can do a bit less if you turn the heat up a bit, but slow cook is best).

Once you've cooked it for several hours (if you're doing a full 8, we'll say after 4) add the corn & peas.

Then, at the end, put 1/2 cup to 1 cup of cold water in a bowl, and mix in some flour. The more flour you mix in, the thicker you can make the stew. Up to you. Then, slowly mix in the flour/water mixture to the stew.

Salt & Pepper to taste. Get a french loaf (or better yet, a bread boule) and enjoy.

-Arrian

*a crock pot will do as well.

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.

Last edited by Arrian; December 12, 2003 at 14:10.
Old December 12, 2003, 13:45   #19
Thorn
Prince

Whaleboy is such a cute name, reminds me of the poster Giant Squid....
Old December 12, 2003, 13:46   #20
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:27
Stop eating so much Tuna !!
-
Quote:
Two words: al dente
Not only is this the only way to cook pasta (can stand it when it's cooked too long), pasta cooked al-dente will last longer, IE you won't get hungry as fast as with over-cooked pasta. (Takes longer to disolve in your stomac)
Old December 12, 2003, 13:51   #21
Japher
Emperor

Quote:
Beef Stew (I'm doing this from memory, the recipe is at home):
Try coating your meat in the flour before browning it... That sounded perverted

Really, it gives a better flavor to the meat as well as helping to thicken. Also, instead of adding flour to the stew to thicken it (if desired) try corn startch. You won't have to use as much and it won't give the stew a chalky texture if you like it really, really thick.

I also add dumpling to the stew. When the stew is near done, after thickening, add dumpling mixture, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Dumpling mixure: It's on the bisquick box, it's pretty much 1 cup bisquick, 1/2 cup water... That's it.
Old December 12, 2003, 13:51   #22
Whaleboy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Japher
I have a friend who I had to teach to cook. The first time he made pasta he took a pot filled with water, added the pasta, and then brought the water to a boil and let cook for 8 minutes... It was disgusting!
Lay off my pasta!!!
Old December 12, 2003, 13:53   #23
Combat Ingrid
Prince

Local Time: 23:27
All this talk about food and I don't have anything to eat

I guess I'll have to make my standard recipe:
1. Go to supermarket
2. Buy a Mozzarella pizza
3. Warm in oven ~15 minutes

(I'm a cheese junkie, I know)
Old December 12, 2003, 13:56   #24
Rogan Josh
Prince

I'm rather partial to Rogan Josh (surprise surprise). In fact I had one last night.

Rogan Josh:

1/4 cup finely chopped peeled gingerroot
8 garlic cloves, peeled
4 tablespoons water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
2 pounds lamb, cubed
1 teaspoon ground cardamom
2 whole bay leaves
6 whole cloves
10 peppercorns
1 cinnamon stick
2 medium onions, sliced
6 tablespoons plain yogurt
1 1/2 cups beef broth
2 teaspoons ground cumin
4 teaspoons paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

In a blender or food processor, combine chopped gingerroot, garlic cloves and water; process to a smooth paste; set aside.
Heat oil in a wok or deep skillet over medium-high heat until a drop of water sizzles in the pan. Brown lamb in several batches; set aside.

Add cardamom, bay leaves, whole cloves, peppercorns and cinnamon stick into the hot oil. Stir once to coat and add onions. Stir fry for about 5 minutes or until onions turn a medium-brown color. Add the ginger/garlic paste and stir for 30 seconds. Return cooked meat and stir for 30 seconds.

Add yogurt, a little at a time, stirring each addition until well blended; cook for another 3 to 4 minutes. Add beef broth, cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for about 1 hour; stirring occasionally. Remove bay leaves and cinnamon stick and serve hot, preferably over rice.
Old December 12, 2003, 13:58   #25
Whaleboy
Prince

I wont make any comments about my legendary "Stratosphere" pizza...
Old December 12, 2003, 14:05   #26
Arrian
Deity

Chicken Caesar Salad is another easy one.

Cook up some chopped chicken breast (boneless/skinless) - I'd say a 1/2 breast.

Chop up a bunch of Romaine lettuce.
Chop up a tomato.

Mix in the chicken, grate some parm over it, add caesar dressing, mix. Eat.

If you want the chicken to be breaded:

Before cooking the chicken, mix it up with 1 egg in a bowl with some bread crumbs (enough to coat the pieces of chicken). Then proceed as normal.

-Arrian

Old December 12, 2003, 14:06   #27
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Hmmm . . . .

that is how I cook my pasta. What's the better way?
Old December 12, 2003, 14:08   #28
Arrian
Deity

Quote:

Try coating your meat in the flour before browning it... That sounded perverted

Really, it gives a better flavor to the meat as well as helping to thicken. Also, instead of adding flour to the stew to thicken it (if desired) try corn startch. You won't have to use as much and it won't give the stew a chalky texture if you like it really, really thick.

I also add dumpling to the stew. When the stew is near done, after thickening, add dumpling mixture, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Dumpling mixure: It's on the bisquick box, it's pretty much 1 cup bisquick, 1/2 cup water... That's it.
Actually, the recipe I have calls for flouring the meat before cooking it, and I used to do that. Problem is that that it tends to stick to the bottom of the pot then, and burn a bit.

I just realized I forgot to add that you need to use some oil or lard (shortening) in the pot to prevent the meat from sticking/burning. Doh.

Corn starch, eh? I might try that. Thanks.

-Arrian

Old December 12, 2003, 14:08   #29
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

You can't call salad 'cookery', it's just throwing some vegetables in a dish and throwing them around a bit

My steak and chips is something to be worshipped though

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old December 12, 2003, 14:09   #30
Arrian
Deity

Errr, Funman, you boil the water FIRST, then you add the pasta!

-Arrian

edit: damn typos.

Last edited by Arrian; December 12, 2003 at 14:15.