Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 11:28
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
All the cool kids will die off of skin cancer
Quote:
Then the chicks will be ours!!!!!!!!
Except that the chicks will also die off of skin cancer. So I think you better start considering homosexualism.
Old December 13, 2003, 15:01   #62
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 10:28
We can KIDNAP the chicks and make them stay indoors
Old December 13, 2003, 17:30   #63
Ned
King

Local Time: 06:28
Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt

Heh. If it was on the Discovery channel then I saw the same programme. But I can claim to have some more knowledge from a few Honours level Physics papers in Geomagnetism.

This change is NEVER instantaneous, unless you count a few hundred - thousand years as immediate. At the current rate we have several tens of thousands of years before there is any real risk of extra cosmic radiation at ground level. And we are 'overdue' by several hundred thousand years (the average time between reversals has been 200,000 years, we have gone 700,000 since the last one) for a reversal in the same way Wellington is 'overdue' for a magnitude 8.0 earthquake.

* MrWhereItsAt wishes he knew what actually gave rise to the 'secular' variations in magnetic fielde strength...
What causes it? Solar Flares?
Old December 13, 2003, 18:02   #64
The Andy-Man
Prince

Local Time: 14:28
maybe this has something to do with the 'rise' in temperatures. ie, another possible explanation for 'global warming'
Old December 13, 2003, 18:51   #65
Ned
King

The Andy Man, I find it more than interesting that the reduction in the magnetic field coincides with end of mini ice age.

During the recent spate of solar flares, news reports showed just how those flares impacted the Earth's magnetic field. The flares would counteract the field, reducing it. This has got to act as a drag on our core's rotation in some fashion.

However, a reduction in the field does not explain why the magnetic field flips. It would be interesting to see what the causation theories are rather than just note that the flips occur. For example, can the effect be reproduced in computer models?

It just seems to me that the cause of the flip must be some force acting on the core external to the earth. It also seems to me that the most likely candidate for the source of the influence is the sun.
Old December 13, 2003, 19:27   #66
monolith94
Mac
Emperor

so... when do I get my super-powers?
Albert Speer
Old December 13, 2003, 19:38   #67
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Smiley
So is it this decrease in magfield strength that explains the rise in cancer rates, or is that smog really that bad?
I thought it was all the nuclear testing.

Do It Ourselves
Old December 13, 2003, 20:51   #68
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 02:28
Local Date: November 3, 2010
What causes it? Solar Flares? [/QUOTE]

What causes what? If you mean the cosmic radiation, then that is from the flares from the sun, yes.
Old December 13, 2003, 20:53   #69
Ned
King

Frozzy, no, what causes he reduction in magnetic field strength?
Old December 13, 2003, 20:56   #70
Frozzy
Emperor

The liquid core changes the direction of the electric current, so instead of going north to south, it goes south to north. This takes a very very long time. It has to weaken the strength of current before it can change the direction.
Old December 13, 2003, 21:29   #71
Ned
King

Frozzy, is this phenomenon entirely self-contained or is it influenced or induced externally to the Earth?
Old December 13, 2003, 21:31   #72
Ned
King

Just as an example of what I mean, the Earth's axis of rotation itself rotates 360 degrees as we traverse around the galaxy. This implies a conservation of momentum on a galatic scale. Could something similar be happening to the Earth's core in response to solar or galatic fields?
Old December 13, 2003, 21:37   #73
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
The Andy Man, I find it more than interesting that the reduction in the magnetic field coincides with end of mini ice age.
Didn't someone already point out that this was mere coincidence, as it wasn't until that point that we started measuring the phenomenon in the first place?
Old December 13, 2003, 22:22   #74
Ned
King

Skywalker, oh. We have no magnetic field data prior to 1845?
Old December 13, 2003, 23:14   #75
Frozzy
Emperor

We do, actually.

Take ancient pots or Hawaiian lava for example. When rock cool quickly, they are magnatised according to the status of the magnetic field. Samples of lava in Hawaii from ~ 750,000 years ago have an alignment of anywhere between south, east, north east, north west. Those of ~1,000,000 years ago are south aligned.
Old December 14, 2003, 00:08   #76
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

I saw a special on this, and during the reversal there isn't that much increase in radiation according to it (slight increase in cancer rates, for example).

But there will be Aurora in areas outside of the poles, like over London, etc.
Old December 14, 2003, 00:14   #77
DaShi
Emperor

Between this and the sun blowing up, how am I supposed to get any sleep?
Old December 14, 2003, 00:14   #78
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Skywalker, oh. We have no magnetic field data prior to 1845?
I don't know. I just mentioned that another poster said we didn't
Old December 14, 2003, 00:21   #79
DaShi
Emperor

Yes, all data goes back only to 1845 when the Hall of Magnetic Field Data was mysteriously incinerated from above somehow.
Old December 14, 2003, 04:28   #80
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by November Adam
Maybe we'll go back to sleep?
Back?
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Old December 14, 2003, 04:33   #81
Vince278
King

Perhaps it is weakening because we are using too many magnets in everything. Time for a Kyoto Magnet Treaty.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Old December 14, 2003, 04:54   #82
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker

I don't know. I just mentioned that another poster said we didn't
Actually, if we do not have data prior to 1845, we may not know what the maximum field is. We might be far below the 90% of maximum that the story suggested.
Old December 14, 2003, 06:15   #83
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Frozzy, is this phenomenon entirely self-contained or is it influenced or induced externally to the Earth?
Depends on what exactly causes the geomagnetic fiedl in the first place. Keep in mind that is is pure supposition that rotation of magnetic liquids inside the Earth is the cause of geomagnetism. There has been a model or two made using computers that shows reversals in magnetic polarity, but there is no way we can really do any experimental tests on something around 2500km deep.

The way the models show reversals is because of a complex rearrangement of circulation fields within the molten outer core. You couldn't just say for instance that the outer core slows and reverses flow direction. It may do, but this would be no easy process! Perhaps there are multiple layers with differing flow strengths and directions, and the interaction between these two (which gets increasingly more complex to model) leads to the flux of the geomagnetic field. Some solid Earth scientists are starting to believe in just such a dual-layer outer core model, but again, this is all just guesswork with computer simulations thrown in.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old December 14, 2003, 15:15   #84
Ned
King

Quote:

Depends on what exactly causes the geomagnetic fiedl in the first place. Keep in mind that is is pure supposition that rotation of magnetic liquids inside the Earth is the cause of geomagnetism. There has been a model or two made using computers that shows reversals in magnetic polarity, but there is no way we can really do any experimental tests on something around 2500km deep.

The way the models show reversals is because of a complex rearrangement of circulation fields within the molten outer core. You couldn't just say for instance that the outer core slows and reverses flow direction. It may do, but this would be no easy process! Perhaps there are multiple layers with differing flow strengths and directions, and the interaction between these two (which gets increasingly more complex to model) leads to the flux of the geomagnetic field. Some solid Earth scientists are starting to believe in just such a dual-layer outer core model, but again, this is all just guesswork with computer simulations thrown in.
Could this be a conservation of momentum issue? The magnetic field is a byproduct of currents of molten iron whose flow may be precessing to conserve momentum in some sort of environment. Since the period seems to be in the 100s of thousand of years, this suggests that the momentum that is being balanced is the solar system, does it not?
Old December 14, 2003, 17:37   #85
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:28
MOFG WE ARE ALL GONA DIE, WE MUST VGIVE MORE TAX CUTS AND PASS THE MAGNETIC PROTECTION PATRIOT ACT GIVING BUSH THE POWER TO HAVE SWEX WITH ALL NEWLY WED WOMENA!
Old December 14, 2003, 18:34   #86
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

my this is bad news.

I dunno about you guys, but i plan to live for quite a long time.... Im very concerned now...

I dont wanna die young!
Old December 14, 2003, 18:37   #87
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Sava
PASS THE MAGNETIC PROTECTION PATRIOT ACT GIVING BUSH THE POWER TO HAVE SWEX WITH ALL NEWLY WED WOMENA!
is this because bush has a gene to survive all the radiation and therby allowing the future generation of humanity to inherit this magnificent ability!????

brilliant!
Old December 14, 2003, 18:51   #88
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:

I remember several Discover articles about a theory that it the core wasn't, in fact, nickel-iron. Rather, the guy thought it was uranium and the field was caused by its radioactive decay. The article said this accounted for the reversals too (I'm not sure how).
Old December 14, 2003, 22:07   #89
gopher
Warlord

Hmm, magnetic field starting to collapse around 1840's.
Marx and Engels start to develop what would later be known as socialism/communism around the 1840's.
Conclusion: Commies cause Magnetic problems.
Solution: Throw all commies out of helicopters, no more magnetic problems.
Benefits: No more magnetic declenation

"Your plans to find love, fortune, and happiness utterly ignore the Second Law Of Thermodynamics."-Horiscope from The Onion
Old December 14, 2003, 22:25   #90
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:28
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned

Could this be a conservation of momentum issue? The magnetic field is a byproduct of currents of molten iron whose flow may be precessing to conserve momentum in some sort of environment. Since the period seems to be in the 100s of thousand of years, this suggests that the momentum that is being balanced is the solar system, does it not?
I don't know how the Earth's magnetic field is supposed to flip but I do know how it supposedly happens in the sun's life cycles, and I'd imagine its a similar process on Earth.

Simply put, the sun's core is made up of several layers that rotate at differing speeds at differing latitudes and altitudes, each layer creating a different strength and orientation of magnetic field in each part of the sun. Effectively these fields superimpose upon each other and produce the external Heliospheric magnetic field that we can measure. Over time the alignments of these field changes, tightening and stretching the field strength to a maximum (visually the field lines look like the wringing of a towel tighter and tighter). Once a maximum is reached the field strength weakens again as the various magnetic fields of each part of the sun realign, and then eventually begin to unalign in the opposite direction.

There is no changing in direction of the flow or speed/momentum of the various parts of the sun though, just as there is no change in the rotation or motion of the Earth as it passes through the seasons from Spring to the the Summer (maximum) and then back trhough Autumn to the Winter (minimum). The solar cycle lasts for 11 years and is very regular.

At a guess the Earth's magnetic cycle is an erratic copy of the suns.