Old January 4, 2004, 17:23   #31
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 15:29
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by lockstep
(A) double-value entertainer may affect human strategy somewhat, but this tweak not only assists the AI, but assists it in the late game at least as much as in the early game.
Just to revive the discussion: I've been playing quite a few epic games over the holidays, and kept an eye on AI city management when I opened embassies or investigated AI cities that were building wonders. Casual observation: The AI needs every help that it can get in the happiness department. About one quarter of the citizens changed to entertainers is quite common in the late medieval / early industrial age.

Two thumbs up again for double-value entertainers. (And this from a player that felt rather uneasy about this change when it was first introduced in the AU mod.)
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old January 5, 2004, 06:14   #32
Tarquinius
InterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Prince

I noticed something really weird when I was playing an epic game last week. I investigate the Inca capital to check how far they were with a wonder I wanted to have as well. I was a 12 pop city, with 6 scientists! The science and commerce were not too bad, but they only had a few shields per turn. I will try to snap other capitals in that same time period (middle ages) to check whether this was just odd behavior or they do it all the time.

Maybe the AI likes the new scientists too much
Old January 7, 2004, 13:39   #33
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

Local Time: 10:29
I've heard rumors that the luxury scarcity in C3C was not intentional, and will be restored to PTW levels in a patch.

So let's mark the PTW solution as under consideration: Double-value entertainers.
Old January 7, 2004, 14:14   #34
sabrewolf
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV CreatorsC3CDG Desolation RowCivilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 16:29
oh no, i quite like the scarcity. makes it more tempting to place those useless colony-cities 40 tiles from your centre, just so you can grab that darn iron
Old January 14, 2004, 09:44   #35
alexman
PtWDG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMApolyCon 06 Participants
Firaxis Games Software Engineer

One week has passed, so it's time:

Yes/No: Double the effect of entertainers.

48 hours to vote.

My vote: yes
Old January 14, 2004, 11:36   #36
Dominae
BtS Tri-LeaguePtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering StormApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Yes.
Old January 14, 2004, 13:36   #37
Stuie
King

Yes.
Old January 15, 2004, 14:03   #38
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

YES.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old January 16, 2004, 13:27   #39
jkelly
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:29
If AU goes with "build often" for workers, it might make sense to shelve this until the effects of the lower-pop AI cities are experienced.
Old January 16, 2004, 18:35   #40
nbarclay
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 08:29
Having AIs build more workers might delay their cities' getting big a little, but I can't see much chance that it would have a significant long-term effect on AI happiness problems.