Voters: 214. You may not vote on this poll

Old January 1, 2004, 13:56   #61
LDiCesare
GalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 16:30
Local Date: November 2, 2010
This poll really lacks bananas.

I voted 3000 because I want to be able to do something with my libraries once I have completed the (2000) tech tree. However, a 3000 tech tree, or any tech tree, will still have an end, which means an end to technology and progress. I don't want an end.
I would like a system where, once you have finished the tech tree, you can research techs that add something to existing units/buildings/whatnots. For instance, after I have discovered the latest, supposedly 2020, tech in 1950, what do I do in the 50 or 70 remaining years? I'd like to research 'improved infantry' techs, which will give me +1% to infantry units stats for every 1000 beakers put into the tech.
Etcaetera.

This allows to go beyond 2000 without going into science fiction.
LDiCesare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2004, 15:22   #62
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

Local Time: 08:30
LDiCesare,
What your suggesting would have to be not just an end game change though. I don't think it would be sensible to play the entire game with Civ 1/2/3 style tech advances, and then suddenly at the end of the game techs will now change things you already know.

Now, if you want to talk about making the whole tech tree like that, then I'm game. It would certainly be able to take us beyond 2000 without mechwalkers.
Fosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2004, 15:30   #63
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 10:30
If we could add eras, it would be easy to make future eras ourselves. But the game has to only go into the forseeable future. Missile Defense System = ok, mechwalkers = not ok.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Jaguar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2004, 21:41   #64
okblacke
Apolyton University
Warlord

Local Time: 06:30
I didn't vote: 2000 is too soon. (It's 2003, after all, and still no spaceship to Alpha Centauri).

3000 is WAAAAY too long. As much as I enjoyed SMAC, it doesn't resonate the way Civ does because it's fictitious. (And somehow I think SMAC's PCness makes it blander than Civ's PCness. )

2100. Maybe shave some years off for difficulty, if necessary. I'm for extending the modern era slightly, perhaps, if eras are kept. Probably not a "future era".

I'm not against: mild terraforming, especially to reverse global warming; "cure for cancer", SDI, deep sea advances, shuttles, space stations, fusion, etc.

I AM against: mechwarriors, x-wings, space aliens, time travel, etc.

I'm FOR: making all those things I'm AGAINST allowed in mods.
okblacke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 1, 2004, 22:39   #65
Dauphin
Civilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:30
My vote is for about 2050. A few future techs, ones that are conceivable and are in or entering their pipeline phase.
Old January 2, 2004, 00:10   #66
EnduringBlue
Civilization III Democracy Game
Settler

Local Time: 14:30
I would like to see cloning, superstring theory, nanotechnology, artificial organs, and other technologies that are clearly in the future, just not here yet. 2100 is a good stopping point. the first few future techs can have names but no benefits and be things like "robot mades", "personal flying cars", "killer robots posing as austrian bodybuilders", "robocop" or just be something the player can name.
EnduringBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2004, 02:29   #67
mrmitchell
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayCall to Power Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamNationStatesPtWDG2 Tabemono
King

2000. It's a game about history, not a sci-fi game, damnit.

The farthest out I would like to see the game would be 2050, and a few futuristic techs like say "Cloning" (new population can come from shields or something, I dunno) or "Virtual Reality" (2 citizens in every city are happy, maybe that could be a Wonder? ). But Firaxis, well, you're not Nostradamus, and putting in anything that's not already with considerable progress on it would be going too far.
Old January 2, 2004, 07:28   #68
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
I would like to see cloning
Yeah, mass cloning of humans is really going to happen (at least not for a LONG time)

Quote:
superstring theory
Researching this would give you what benefits? Plus, that isn't in the future - we already HAVE superstring theory.

Quote:
nanotechnology
Further in the future than you think, and less powerful. Plus, that's really sci-fi-ish.

Quote:
artificial organs
Again: this would give you what benefits?
Old January 2, 2004, 14:25   #69
Lambiorix_be
Spore
Warlord

I voted for 3000AD although I think 2200AD would be enough (also since you would most of the time win before you reached the 'end-year').

By the way I very much like CTP2 because it some futuristic and original ideas.

ex. There was a zeppelin-like unit that was a representation of massive media manipulation ( publicity) I just loved it!
Lambiorix_be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2004, 17:59   #70
realpolitic
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Oncle Boris
Am I the only one to support the idea of circa 2100 AD?

It could give some time to use late-era techs, such as Fusion or superconductors. 2050 is too "tight" for my liking.

In civ2, you got fusion and said "nice, no more meltdowns". 3 years later, your spaceship reaches AC.
I'd say 2500 AD. Many things could happen in earth's future: a Pax Americana (possibly resisted by Ghandhian tactics), the EU becomes a model for Regional Goverment, a Chinese economic boom leading to a world with more Authoritarian Capitalism, Islamists finding the Achilles heel of the world's economic powers, a new goverment form built on the slavish obedience of human clones ( or make this a possible future in fascism). In the last few years, there have been many more military tactics, terrorism, human shields (a 3rd party government might encourage the use of human shelds as a way to stop a goverments war plans withouty declaring war), Checimal weapons might or might not proke nuclear retaliation(if used in Gulf War I, the plan was to blow up Iraq's dams). A goverment might build a Ministry of Fear to work up it's populace (some leftwing sites claim that's the purpose of Orange Alerts).

The ship to AC should be more diffucult to build: I saw one real world proposal: use antimatter to fission smaller amounts than would otherwise be possible , to create the heat for fusion (currently, the only way to create fusion is by exploding an A Bomb, so the flight would be extremely bumpy). The ship would need helium3, mined on the moon.

This brings the game to 2100 or 2200, a few more centuries could be added with a serious greenhouse effect, depletion of oil, and the aging of the populationcould force the abandoment of cities, or it might happen naturally, because the longer game gives more countries a chance to build a nuclear arsenal to stop #1 from getting to AC.

Last edited by realpolitic; January 2, 2004 at 18:17.
realpolitic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2004, 18:32   #71
Kuciwalker
Deity

I want the Space Race to be closer to what it was in C2 - you can launch a bare-bones ship, and have it travel slowly, or you can add lots of engines and stuff, and have it travel faster. Plus you got extra points IIRC for adding extra hab modules.
Old January 2, 2004, 19:35   #72
POTUS
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusMacCivilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Location: How could I possibly not have a Mozambican flag, I mean, what other country has an AK-47 on their flag?
Around 2050 seems good. Just enough into the future to be realistic without being sci-fi.
Old January 2, 2004, 20:07   #73
Brent
Prince

I want the future in the game because for a conquest or space victory you need it, because no one's conquered the world yet or been to Alpha Centauri. Maybe the Space victory should be the Apollo Project or a probe leaving the solar system.

We should have future techs so we can advance farther than in real history. We need the game to last far enough into the future for logical division of eras, and years per turn.

You can avoid the future era by conquering the world or otherwise winning before it starts. Maybe when setting up the game you can decide which era will end the game.

Future history is still history.

There should be a significant chance of things turning out significantly different from real history.

Last edited by Brent; January 2, 2004 at 20:57.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2004, 20:27   #74
POTUS
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusMacCivilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Location: How could I possibly not have a Mozambican flag, I mean, what other country has an AK-47 on their flag?
No, but people have considered the world to be conquered i.e. Alexander the Great. And, probes have left the solar system, so what's the fun in that? Doing something that everbody knows can be done, because it has been done, no room to improve over RL.
Old January 2, 2004, 20:54   #75
The Slayer
PtWDG2 Latin LoversC4WDG Spamyard TeamSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 09:30
I dunno if someone siad this before (to lazy to read long english posts ), but, how about play until 2100 as a normal game, then it ends but there's is going to be more techs/eras if you like to continue.

Something like this could be the message:

"Ok man!, You're done, end fo the game!, what are you doing now?"

- Enough for me, let me go.
- No!, the IA have to pay!, let me continue with this!.
- Mmm... I wish to continue but with the normal rules, please.

So, for scoring/hall of fame purposes, if you continue playing, the score have to have a message.

"- The Slayer / Persia / Monarch / Diplomatic - 5000 (normal)
- The Slayer / Japan / Emperor / Conquest - 10000 (futuristic) "

And the "futuristic" mode must'n be more than 3500, for saying something.

What do you think?

Alexander the Great
The Slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 2, 2004, 20:54   #76
Brent
Prince

I was just trying to compromise. What I would really want is getting to Alpha Centauri, although I usualy prefer conquest or cultural victory.
Old January 3, 2004, 18:06   #77
Flinx
CTP2 Source Code Project
Prince

Local Time: 09:30
New Poll Needed?
I have not read all the posts, but the two options in the poll do not capture people's opinions:

2010 - no future units or abilities

2050 - very limited future tech

2100 - some future tech

2200 - 3000 and beyond - Let's blue-sky about the future and make it real in Civ4!!!

My vote is for 2100 with the victory condition of the first successful permanent settlement on Mars
Have you switched to Firefox yet?
Flinx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2004, 21:14   #78
okblacke
Apolyton University
Warlord

Re: New Poll Needed?
Quote:
[SIZE=1] My vote is for 2100 with the victory condition of the first successful permanent settlement on Mars
Hmmm. I like that. It could make for a semi-open ending: You discover the stuff you need for the spaceship, plus terraforming, ecology, etc.

You can build and launch your ship, but that doesn't mean your Mars colony will be successful. But once you've reseearched the entire tech tree, you can focus on improving your spaceship parts, terraforming, etc.

So, instead of "Future Tech 1", you've got "Terraforming 2" or "Low Gravity Combat"--I dunno, techs that improve your chance of successfully colonizing.

I'm not for actually going to Mars in the game.

[ok]
okblacke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2004, 01:52   #79
Paddy
Iron CiversApolyton Storywriters' GuildThe Courts of Candle'BreBtS Tri-LeagueC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Blood Oath HordeCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannApolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 23:30
I would like to see some sort of expansion into the future.

We start the game so many thousands of years ago, it would be good if we could look a few hundred years nto the future.
Old January 4, 2004, 17:44   #80
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

I'd like to see an expansion/stand alone game like MoO 2 that Civ would transform to once you won the game with by landing a colony ship or something.

Sorta have a "You won the game!" screen then switch to a futuristic planet level conquest/civilization game.
GhengisFarb™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2004, 18:29   #81
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
dunno if someone siad this before (to lazy to read long english posts ), but, how about play until 2100 as a normal game, then it ends but there's is going to be more techs/eras if you like to continue.
That would seem to be a waste of time for the programmers.

as for the basic idea of adding MORE MORE MORE and chaning civ's overall tone to one of weirdness (CTP)... just wondering did anyone play Empire Earth and consider it a better overall game than Age of Empires?

Which was the more polished (for its time)? Which was the standout above the crowd?

Empire Earth threw in the kitchen sink.
Age of Empires perfected things.

I would rather Civ be Age of Empires and focus on HISTORY... it's purpose than be Empire Earth/Call to Power and venture into the strange age of mechs and weird Alpha Centauri-like techs and diamond ages
Old January 4, 2004, 19:25   #82
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb
I'd like to see an expansion/stand alone game like MoO 2 that Civ would transform to once you won the game with by landing a colony ship or something.

Sorta have a "You won the game!" screen then switch to a futuristic planet level conquest/civilization game.
Here's how you can do that real easy, in four simple steps:

1. Win spaceship victory

2. Remove C4 CD

3. Insert SMAC CD

4. Click "Play"

Old January 4, 2004, 19:25   #83
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud

That would seem to be a waste of time for the programmers.
It seems that almost any feature could be a waste of time for programmers... the question is... is there any demand for future technologies in Civ... and the poll shows that there is at least some... probably enough, in fact to include in the game, as an option, not a requirement.

Thus those who choose can stop tech development at 2050, and there can be an extended tech progression for the others who choose to continue.

Quote:
I would rather Civ be Age of Empires and focus on HISTORY... it's purpose
Thats a rather presumptive statement... I'd say that most of the time civ games are divergent from "History".

The game as a whole seems to be more an empire (ok.. or a collection of cities and units) simulator, than a history simulator. The whole game is an abstraction... whats wrong with abstracting a future... as an optional choice?
MrBaggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4, 2004, 19:42   #84
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I am completely against any future tech, and I think the Great Project at the end should be something that is imaginable with today's science (moon base could do the trick IMHO)
Spiffor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2004, 04:59   #85
rendelnep
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III Democracy GamePtWDG2 Monty PythonC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC3CDG Ankh-MorporkCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 02:30
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Well I honestly can't see whats wrong with giant stompy robots.
Honda already has a medium stompy robot so it can't be tooo far off. Nor is the neural interface. Besides it would be funnnn.
rendelnep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5, 2004, 16:39   #86
Brent
Prince

If things don't happen as in real history before 2004, why is it so different to see what happens after?
Old January 5, 2004, 17:59   #87
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Thats a rather presumptive statement... I'd say that most of the time civ games are divergent from "History".
They are based upon real history. that is the differece.

Have you ever noticed how people... hardcore and casual gamers gravitate towards games that are based on things that they KNOW?

More people bought Civ II and III than Alpha Centauri.
And I think the same thing goes for MOO II/III.

People understand what a chariot is... they don't want to have to memorize the relative advantages of a "Boolean Boot Drive" over a "Romulan Space Cannon"

Thats what mods are for Civ Games.
---
I say keep the game historical and end it in 2025. (with future tech bonus capabilities: Future Tech #1,2,3,etc.)
Old January 5, 2004, 18:08   #88
Brent
Prince

If the future isn't in the main game, at least let the designers do their own interstellar/ mars/ Alpha Centauri/ moon/ otherwise future scenarios.
Old January 29, 2004, 12:06   #89
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I'd got with somewhere between the two mentioned dates... Something like 2100... I would like to go into the future, but not too far...
Old February 3, 2004, 15:06   #90
Kramerman
Prince

i dunno, it could be kinda cool that after you build a spaceship, you could try and colonize other planets and continue building your nation from an earth nation to an intersteller empire, colinizong planetes and battleing not only other rival human factions (if they still exist), but also alien races...

Well, maybe not for civ 4, but that would be a cool game somewhere down the line. be difficult to pull off tho, would have to develope some sort of awesome auto-micromangaing for that one or maybe after you colonize your first planet, it switches to planets as the base producer instead of cities
Kramerman is offline   Reply With Quote