Old December 13, 2003, 04:11   #1
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 08:30
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Spammer Arrested
Quote:
The Commonwealth of Virginia has announced the nation's first felony charges and arrest for sending spam. Using Virginia's new Anti-Spam law, a grand jury indicted Jeremy Jaynes (a.k.a., "Jeremy James" and "Gaven Stubberfield"), regarded by the anti-spam organization Spamhaus as the eighth-worst spam distributor in the world.

Using the "Report Spam" button on the mailbox, AOL members provided thousands of complaints that were used by the Commonwealth of Virginia to help investigate and indict the defendant, according to Attorney General Jerry Kilgore.

The new law is considered the toughest in the nation and was used as the model for the criminal portion of the federal legislation that was recently passed by Congress.

Law enforcement authorities arrested Jaynes in Raleigh, North Carolina, and charged him with four felony counts of using fraudulent means to transmit unsolicited bulk e-mail, which may be prosecuted in Virginia if any part of the illegal transactions take place in any locality in the Commonwealth. (AOL's offices are located in Dulles, Virginia.)

"Gaven Stubberfield" is listed as the eighth-most prolific spammer by Spamhaus' Register of Known Spam Operations. If convicted, Jaynes could face up to 20 years in prison and $10,000 in fines -- the four felony charges each carry punishment of one to five years in prison, a fine of up to $2,500, or both.

In 2002 and early 2003, AOL worked with industry leaders, state lawmakers, and Attorney General Kilgore's office to craft a new anti-spam state law that would levy strong criminal penalties on large-scale spammers who used tactics of fraud, falsification and deceit to send the most egregious and offensive junk e-mails to AOL members. After adoption of the law by the Virginia General Assembly, AOL hosted a ceremony at its corporate headquarters on April 29, where Governor Mark Warner signed the bill.

The criminal indictment comes as AOL continues to vigorously pursue civil litigation filed earlier this year against over a dozen individuals alleged to have spammed AOL members with almost one billion junk e-mails.
I copied this from an AOL article, it's probably out there on the web somewhere, too, but i didn't find it to link to it.

I think it's interesting, if a bit odd. I think a jail sentance is a bit harsh, i could definately agree with heavy fines though.

-theonion.com
Old December 13, 2003, 04:15   #2
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 22:30
Only $10,000 in fines? That's peanuts compared to what these spammers make.

I say, feather and tar them, then quarter the bastards.
Old December 13, 2003, 04:15   #3
Shi Huangdi
Emperor

Local Time: 09:30
I say we set an example of him: 20 years in prison. Let spammer know there is a price to pay if they continue their illegal activity.

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand
Old December 13, 2003, 04:21   #4
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:30
Wow. 20 years. That's harsh.

However, what is going to stop the torrent? I have a publically known email address for work. Have had it for 7 or 8 years. It is almost unusable now, due to spam. Except, I have to use it. People know that addy from way back and all over. I can't just ignore it. So, a significant amount of time is spent each day sorting through the crap to get the real email.

I agree that jail time is harsh, but I want those hours back, damnit!
Old December 13, 2003, 05:00   #5
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 16:30
I have downloaded bought a spam filter for my e-mail. It works like a charm, and it even lets me report spam to SpamCop. Great program.

Edit: I think 20 years is appropriate. Examples have to be set.

Asmodean
Old December 13, 2003, 05:43   #6
DRoseDARs
lifer
Spore
Emperor

Local Time: 07:30
While I'm happy they're doing something about this problem, one concern I have is how they're tracking the spammers down. I use DRoseDARs as part of several different email addys and I've seen it as part of the "originating" email adress of some of the spam I get. There are people, I worry, that now think "SPAM" when they see DRoseDARs in the email address.

What about that tactic? Does that factor into future legal cases? Defamation of charactor? Misrepresentation? DRoseDARs was uniquely formed for me when I first started with email. I've never run into the problem of that name already being in use, hence my belief/impression that it remains unique.

EDIT: There, their, and they're... *sigh*
EDIT2: doning?
EDIT3: severl?! I'm not drunk...honest!

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Last edited by DRoseDARs; December 13, 2003 at 06:03.
Old December 13, 2003, 06:08   #7
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Just let him copy every mail he ever sent by hand, once he's finished, he can go free.
Old December 13, 2003, 11:48   #8
Wraith
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

--"I think a jail sentance is a bit harsh,"

You should read some of the details about how these guys send their spam. And check out his Spamhous entry. Some of things he's done include stock pump-and-dump spam scams.

These guys are collaborating with virus writers these days. Some of the recent ones (see Mimail.h, for instance) do things like install open relay e-mail servers or attack anti-spam groups.
They've also moved to the level where they actually hack into servers in order to do pretty much the same thing. This kind of activity is a crime anyway, in addition to the spamming. The jail time is appropriate, although the fines should be higher.

--"However, what is going to stop the torrent?"

Get the major ones shut down, and it'll do a huge amount to help. There's not really that many who make serious money from this, and they're the ones who do the majority of the spamming. This is a step in the right direction.

--"one concern I have is how they're tracking the spammers down."

Places like Spamhaus (ie. the ones who know what they're doing) don't pay attention to the "from" address in the spam. There's better ways to track them down.

--"Just let him copy every mail he ever sent by hand, once he's finished, he can go free."

Sounds good to me, but just think of how many trees would get used up in the process.

Wraith
The vastness of space and time and I end up here?
Old December 13, 2003, 11:52   #9
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Local Time: 14:30
Quote:
Originally posted by Asmodean
I have downloaded bought a spam filter for my e-mail. It works like a charm, and it even lets me report spam to SpamCop. Great program.
What program? I've been looking for a decent filter, 'cause I'm getting over 200 spam a day, and it's starting to take some time deleting them all, but checking I delete nothing important.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old December 13, 2003, 11:59   #10
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 10:30
Quote:
Originally posted by alva
Just let him copy every mail he ever sent by hand, once he's finished, he can go free.
Old December 13, 2003, 12:11   #11
Verto
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildNationStatesMac
King

Quote:

Make him use his feet.
Old December 13, 2003, 12:12   #12
Kuciwalker
Deity

I change my mind. I like Verto's solution better.
Old December 13, 2003, 12:26   #13
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

Quote:
What program? I've been looking for a decent filter, 'cause I'm getting over 200 spam a day, and it's starting to take some time deleting them all, but checking I delete nothing important.
I use MailWasher:

http://www.mailwasher.net/

The free version is limited to one e-mail account but that's fine for me because there's only one account I have that attracks spam. The 'bounce' feature doesn't seem to work as well as it used to, but it's still a huge improvement over having to sort them out individually.
Old December 13, 2003, 13:20   #14
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Most excellent punishment, I say.
Old December 13, 2003, 15:04   #15
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Drogue

Yup...MailWasher it is. Soecifically MailWasher Pro 3.3, which lets you filter spam from multiple e-mail accounts.

Asmodean
Old December 13, 2003, 16:25   #16
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 15:30
Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun

Most excellent punishment, I say.
indeed. hopefully followed by something like this
Old December 13, 2003, 16:31   #17
Kuciwalker
Deity

off with their heads!
Old December 13, 2003, 16:34   #18
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Ahh.. you're torture lightweights.... beheading is far too kind and painless.

I was thinking he should have a hole drilled through his belly, and a chain with a crossbar at the end (so it doesn't slip through,) threaded through the hole. Then he could be hung from a gibbet, by this chain (hands tied behind his back,) and slowly lowered into a bath of strong acid.
Old December 13, 2003, 16:49   #19
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old December 13, 2003, 16:52   #20
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Good idea!

Or perhaps, the spammer can visit each person that received his spam and provide one hour of free computer support.

I'm all for this. Those spammers know the risks and it's not like they couldn't go get a legitimate job -- they are very intelligent/skilled individuals.
Old December 13, 2003, 16:54   #21
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Nothing like spammers to bring all of poly together in common disgust.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old December 13, 2003, 17:06   #22
MrFun
Emperor

GASP

Sprayber, maybe we found the ONE thing that all Apolytoners can agree on!!
Old December 13, 2003, 18:21   #23
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 17:30
well, faded glory wouldn't have agreed.