[STILL IN DRAFT]

Introduction

FILL IN

Thanks! -List Threadmaster Trifna

Summary

FILL IN

The Ideas

Historical part to the garbage, easily changed Civpedia by the editor
Forget the historical stuff about units. Most people never read it and it doesn't enhance gameplay. Make it easy to generate Civpedia entries IN THE EDITOR.
Kuciwalker

Keep the historical part, help by changing Civ 3's "dreadful" editor
I really enjoy reading the stuff that is "unimportant" when you only consider gameplay issues. I understand that most people creating scenarios or mods don't do it, but I definately want all the text in the Civilopedia that comes with the game.

[...]

Now this is really simple, by adding a small feature to the editor. Namely an option for the editor to automatically make empty entries in the Civilopedia and/or to take over civilopedia entries from other related things [...]. This way if I don't want to mess with those entries, I don't have to. In fact, all the required work related to adding something into the game should be done by the editor [...]. What I would get is a feature added to the game and some empty space in the text file(s), that [one] could fill if need be.
Modo44

A "?" to click on and point at elements, fan participation
I propose that somewhere at the top of the screen there would be a litte interrogation mark to click on. If you click on it, there will be a bunch of very visible interrogation marks each place on the present screen you can get a little text explaining how it works, what it is and everything that's nice to know. This would help many, without even bringing the need of a complete tutorial (though a tutorial can always be nice, and it could use the information put with this interrogation marks system).

The best of all would be if Firaxis would do exactly as they did with fans' maps and incorporate them in patches, or even from the beta to the final version. So some information would have been brang by fans and Firaxis would chose what they bring in.
Trifna

"Hovered on" information
I also think that there should be, in the options tablet, a checkbox that when clicked, will cause the mouse button (when it's hovering over an object) to describe the object in a short description
DarkCloud

Improved file save/retrieve
Would it be too much to ask to slightly improve the file save and file retrieve dialog boxes?

I feel like I'm back in Windows 3.x with the spartan [...] file operation box.

What I would like to see is a page ripped from Microsoft's book on this. First, make the box a little bit bigger. If I'm doing some file operation, go ahead and cover most of the screen. It's not like I'm playing the game while opening/closing a game.

Second, I need to see some properties information displayed regarding my file saves. A small thumbnail of my map would be nice. Also, some information like:

-when was the file created (game started)
-date last saved
-how many civs active
-current scores/perhaps a histograph?
-whether the game is SP, MP or PBEM

Speaking of PBEM. Could a seperate interface be developed for keeping MP and PBEM games organized? I create seperate folders, but I think with minimal effort, a little nicer front end could be developed to make it easy to store, organize and launch games.

One last thing...the manual makes it a point to say that it doesn't store email addresses. This is a pretty simple thing that would help the player tremendously.
Shogun Gunner

Using the standard Windows open-file box
Why not use the standard Windows open-file box, with an extra part to display some info about the actual savegame you have selected?
Kuciwalker

Mini-map, and opening a game in one click
A mini-map thumbnail is essential.
I'd also like a way to open games with one click from the main menu.
MattH

For a printed manual
The manual should be printed, not digital! I find it much nicer to be able to paw through actual paper.
MattH

Being able to pause at any time
Be able to pause the game in the middle of anything it's doing to look at settings, etc. When it's cycling through automated or AI units. Be able to change orders in the middle. Be able to more easily observe what the AI is doing before it's finished.
Brent

Rainbow bar: simple/efficient multi-factor management
Sometimes many factors sum up to affect a single aspect (such as a city's mood with positive/negative factors, economic income/outcome...).

I propose the "raibow bar" as an interface tool.

What counts is the total bar, which is composed of each factor which has its own color. What counts is the sum of each part (with its color) of the bar forming the the whole "rainbow bar" (containing each color). When it reaches a certain line, you get unrest for example. This bar coult be on the city screen and everywhere needed.

One question is how to include the negative part (since there are positive factors, but also negative ones). Possible way: the "negative" bar just under the "positive" bar starting from the right side of the positive, the left end of it being where the line of your current situation is drawn (affecting the given aspect).
Trifna

Less imperfect city management to worry about
Let's say you've got 18 food and the city produces 3/turn and you need 20 that it grows. What if they skipped the extra turn, let the population grow immediately and put the remaining 1 food in the container?
Max Sinister

Conclusion

FILL IN

Respectfully Compiled- Trifna

Last edited by Trifna; January 22, 2005 at 23:21.
Trifna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14, 2003, 00:18   #2
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 10:33
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Forget the historical stuff about units. Most people never read it and it doesn't enhance gameplay. Make it easy to generate Civpedia entries IN THE EDITOR.
Old December 14, 2003, 00:48   #3
POTUS
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusMacCivilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 06:33
Location: How could I possibly not have a Mozambican flag, I mean, what other country has an AK-47 on their flag?
@skywalker: I agree.
Old December 14, 2003, 01:48   #4
Trifna
King

Local Time: 22:33
Indeed, if the community could add information that would get in the civpedia, it could be nice. I always remember going in the civpedia and not finding what I want to know. Also, if some information about the civpedia comes out during the beta, we could easily say what information we believe is missing.
Old December 17, 2003, 15:11   #5
Trifna
King

I propose that somewhere at the top of the screen there would be a litte interrogation mark to click on. If you click on it, there will be a bunch of very visible interrogation marks each place on the present screen you can get a little text explaining how it works, what it is and everything that's nice to know. This would help many, without even bringing the need of a complete tutorial (though a tutorial can always be nice, and it could use the information put with this interrogation marks system).

The best of all would be if Firaxis would do exactly as they did with fans' maps and incorporate them in patches, or even from the beta to the final version. So some information would have been brang by fans and Firaxis would chose what they bring in.
Old December 17, 2003, 22:34   #6
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 14:33
Quote:
Actually, I read it and always learn new things that I never knew before.

In addition, it creates extra appeal for the game since people can always pass civ off as an 'educational game'

However, I do agree with users being allowed to manually edit the civlopedia! In essence we could craft our own scenarios and own histories if we wanted to completely remod the game (remember the star wars mod for civ II and teh complete redesigns where someone went into the source and messed with the civlopedias...) well this way, the civlopedia could be more easily edited ushering in a renaissance of mod development

I also think that there should be, in the options tablet, a checkbox that when clicked, will cause the mouse button (when it's hovering over an object) to describe the object in a short description

(IE: if it's over plains- it says "Plains +1 Food" and if the player double right clicks, then (s)he can discover more information about the terrain, or city...) In addition, the highlighting can be quite helpful if the interface uses strange images instead of words (like CTP) for its icons.

And there should be additional options for the "Help" boxes-

The player could turn off the Interface Help (telling the player what plains is, etc) or he could turn off the City Screen Help (turning off the descriptions of what a rioting man is) or he could turn off the Game Help (which would turn off the highlighting on strange icons that represent "Top 10 Civs" etc.)
Old December 20, 2003, 00:19   #7
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Something that has bugged me a little recently.

Would it be too much to ask to slightly improve the file save and file retrieve dialog boxes?

I feel like I'm back in Windows 3.x with the spartan (see I worked a Civ term into a Windows issue, aren't I clever ) file operation box.

What I would like to see is a page ripped from Microsoft's book on this. First, make the box a little bit bigger. If I'm doing some file operation, go ahead and cover most of the screen. It's not like I'm playing the game while opening/closing a game.

Second, I need to see some properties information displayed regarding my file saves. A small thumbnail of my map would be nice. Also, some information like:

-when was the file created (game started)
-date last saved
-how many civs active
-current scores/perhaps a histograph?
-whether the game is SP, MP or PBEM

Speaking of PBEM. Could a seperate interface be developed for keeping MP and PBEM games organized? I create seperate folders, but I think with minimal effort, a little nicer front end could be developed to make it easy to store, organize and launch games.

One last thing...the manual makes it a point to say that it doesn't store email addresses. This is a pretty simple thing that would help the player tremendously. My Kodak digital camera software allows me to send files right from the software picture viewer. I should be able to send saved games just as easily. If Kodak can do it, so can Atari/Infogames/Sid Meier/Breakaway Games... or whoever is making the game now.
Old December 20, 2003, 13:43   #8
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

So I suppose you want a CTP-like information box about the game saves?
Old December 20, 2003, 13:57   #9
Kuciwalker
Deity

Why not use the standard Windows open-file box, with an extra part to display some info about the actual savegame you have selected?
Old December 20, 2003, 16:03   #10
MattH
King

A mini-map thumbnail is essential.
I'd also like a way to open games with one click from the main menu. I had a concept drawing of this- I'll see if I can find it.

The manual should be printed, not digital! I find it much nicer to be able to paw through actual paper.
Old December 20, 2003, 16:07   #11
MattH
King

This is what I'm talking about- never mind the C3C
MattH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2003, 18:46   #12
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
So I suppose you want a CTP-like information box about the game saves?
I don't know what that looks like...
Old December 20, 2003, 18:52   #13
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

MattH, that's looking pretty good.

A picture is worth a thousand words!
Old October 2, 2004, 06:37   #14
Trifna
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MattH

This is what I'm talking about- never mind the C3C
Why don't I see this picture on my browser exactly?...
Old October 2, 2004, 19:03   #15
Brent
Prince

I strongly agree with Shogun Gunner and MattH. I agree and disagree with Kuci. I don't want to be able to easily lose the prepackaged pedia, but I want to be able to turn it off, or portions of it, and/ or easily make entries in the Editor. I want a complete tutorial. I want the pedia to be educational, even though I never use it that way, and it would be nice if you could learn more of value from actual gameplay.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3, 2004, 07:33   #16
lajzar
Prince

Local Time: 23:33
Quote:
Originally posted by Kuciwalker
You either use teh standard windows dialoge box exactly as is, or you do a total rewrite. In terms of programming difficulty, there is no middle ground.
Is named Abdul Abulbul Amir
lajzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5, 2004, 01:14   #17
Brent
Prince

Pausing Anytime

Be able to pause the game in the middle of anything it's doing tolook at settings, etc. When it's cycling through automated or AI units. Be able to change orders in the middle. Be able to more easily observe what the AI is doing before it's finished.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2004, 21:23   #18
DarkCloud
staff

Just wondering Trifna, coudl you add titles to all the ideas so that they can be categorized and easily summed up by Firaxis- like the title that Brent provided in the above post?

after you do that- I'd be glad to add them to the list.

Thanks!
Old November 2, 2004, 18:32   #19
Modo44
Apolyton UniversityPtWDG2 Monty PythonCivilization III PBEMCivilization III Democracy GameDiploGamesACDG3 SpartansAlpha Centauri Democracy GameC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 16:33
Quote:
Forget the historical stuff about units. Most people never read it and it doesn't enhance gameplay.
I disagree. I really enjoy reading the stuff that is "unimportant" when you only consider gameplay issues. I understand that most people creating scenarios or mods don't do it, but I definately want all the text in the Civilopedia that comes with the game.

Quote:
Make it easy to generate Civpedia entries IN THE EDITOR.
Now this is really simple, by adding a small feature to the editor. Namely an option for the editor to automatically make empty entries in the Civilopedia and/or to take over civilopedia entries from other related things (in your example, that would be other units). This way if I don't want to mess with those entries, I don't have to. In fact, all the required work related to adding something into the game should be done by the editor (the current system is dreadful, and that's a compliment ). What I would get is a feature added to the game and some empty space in the text file(s), that I (or somebody else, like somebody actually interested, or payed ) could fill if need be.

Last edited by Modo44; November 2, 2004 at 19:13.
Modo44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3, 2004, 11:28   #20
Trifna
King

Most Civ3 players would not look at every single factor, except if they are streamlined and can easily be seen somehow.

Sometimes many factors sum up to affect a single aspect (such as a city's mood with positive/negative factors, economic income/outcome, corruption with positive/negative factors, diplomatic situation...).

For that, I propose the "raibow bar" as an interface tool.

What counts is the total bar, which is composed of each factor which has its own color. What counts is the sum of each part (with its color) of the bar forming the the whole "rainbow bar" (containing each color). When it reaches a certain line, you get unrest for example. This bar coult be on the city screen and everywhere needed.

One aspect that needs to be looked at is how to include the negative part (since there are positive factors, but also negative ones). Possible way: the "negative" bar just under the "positive" bar starting from the right side of the positive, the left end of it being where the line of your current situation is drawn (affecting the given aspect).

This seems like the "simple and efficient" that can be included, while permitting to incorporate some multi-elementary composed effects.

Last edited by Trifna; December 3, 2004 at 22:18.
Trifna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2004, 03:24   #21
civroman
Settler

This isn't really a reply to what is being talked about, but I feel it fits the thread well.

When I play civ I always check what tiles are being worked in every city on every turn. A little redundant (but neccesary imo) in civ1 for SNES. Then civ2 comes along with the greatest thing since sliced bread...you can click on the city in the city management screen and it resests all you citizens to the most productive tiles!!! Pure genius.

Well, along comes civ3 and I'm expecting it too contain an invaluable tool... Lets say you got three citizens in a city and when you click on the city to let the computer decide what tiles to work. Well it just so happens there are two wheated floodplains in the cities radius. So the computer desides to make two citizens work the wheated floodplains, and of course the third citizen works the city square(let's assume that no other tiles are in the city radius that computer thinks is better than the two wheated floods). Well, a couple of turns pass and you only need one more food to increase in population. I think when you click on the city in the city management screen the computer should know that you only need one food to grow and drop one of the flood plains for a tile that is either production or commerce heavy. In other words the computer should know how much more food or shields are need to either increase population or complete the next project, whatever the case maybe. This is one of my biggest pet peaves.

If anyone can offer there opinion on this it would be much appreacitated. Thanks!
civroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2004, 10:59   #22
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

Civroman, you raise a topic that has been fiercly debated at Apolyton in the past.

Essentially two camps of thought -- one would identify with your post and would expect that the programmers to eliminate a large amount of the user having "to confirm" "cycle cities" "manually make choices" etc.

The other group feels that it's the "attention to detail" which seperates the good civ player from the bad. To folks supporting this idea, it's not too much to cycle all your cities and verify everything is the way you want it -- each turn.

For your specific point raised in your post, I recognize the value in the computer making decisions and changes that you want without your support. However, I myself, would want to retain the control over the settings. I would not want the computer making changes in the city allocation without my involvement.

BTW, this does not put me firmly in the second camp -- its just this example is one that I would want human control over. Just my opinion, that's all.
Old December 31, 2004, 12:16   #23
civroman
Settler

VERY INFORMITIVE!!! I think I left out one aspect of the interface, that I so much want. The computer will only reassign citizens to different tiles if you click on the city square. But you raise a good point. Maybe you can left click the city to use "default assign citizens" and if you right click the city... maybe a cascade window would come up with much like the city govenor. But as I type this, why would you ever want to produce more shields or food than you need to produce the next unit or grow in population. Or maybe your extra foods and sheilds could roll over for the next upcoming project??? Thanks for the reply!!!
civroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 3, 2005, 09:21   #24
Max Sinister
Warlord

Couldn't that problem easily be solved if they just did it this way: Let's say you've got 18 food and the city produces 3/turn and you need 20 that it grows. What if they skipped the extra turn, let the population grow immediately and put the remaining 1 food in the container? By this way, you don't have to worry about imperfect city management and have less work.
Max Sinister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2005, 19:22   #25
DarkCloud
staff

Ah, they're titled- thank you trifna!