View Poll Results: Check all beliefs that you agree with
Government needs to do more to redistribute wealth 53 4.87%
Government should do less wealth redistribution 34 3.13%
Government needs to take over some things that are done by the private sector 53 4.87%
The private sector needs to take over things currently done by the government 44 4.04%
Government should regulate the private sector more 54 4.96%
Government should not regulate the private sector more 35 3.22%
Government should do more to protect the environment 73 6.71%
Government should allow industries more freedom 23 2.11%
The government needs to further separate itself from religion 73 6.71%
Government should accept faith-based organizations more 20 1.84%
The death penalty should not be used under any circumstances 50 4.60%
The death penalty should be used under some circumstances 44 4.04%
Abortion rights should be expanded 49 4.50%
Abortion rights should be limited 37 3.40%
People should have more personal freedom (ie to smoke marijuana) 74 6.80%
Government should illegalize things like that 16 1.47%
The individual needs more privacy from the government, more trial rights, etc 71 6.53%
Police can limit rights in favor of national security 28 2.57%
Western countries should try to spread democratic ideology throughout the world 58 5.33%
Western democracies should leave the ROW alone 31 2.85%
Government should allow gay marriage 64 5.88%
Government should allow civil unions only 28 2.57%
Government should not allow civil unions or gay marriage 9 0.83%
Gay couples should be allowed to adopt 67 6.16%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 1088. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 14, 2003, 23:32   #1
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 10:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The multi-issue "Where does Apolyton stand?" poll
The idea is that you vote for one option from each set of two, but you don't have to vote that way if you don't want. Vote for what closest matches your beliefs. And if in doubt, for example, on the abortion question: Consider it to be the US we're talking about. Otherwise we'll get skewed results from people in countries with different stances on it.

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Last edited by Jaguar; December 14, 2003 at 23:54.
Old December 14, 2003, 23:46   #2
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Oh, and for the last 4 options, you can vote for any one of the first three, and then either vote or don't vote on the last one.

Old December 14, 2003, 23:53   #3
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

He he he, three conservatives so far, zero liberals.

Except none of the conservatives so far have been very hardcore.

Old December 14, 2003, 23:59   #4
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 07:36
The problem is, these aren't one-side-or-the-other issues. For instance, I feel that the government should seperate itself more from embracing any particular religion or religions, yet I feel that faith-based programs have as much right to be federally funded as secular programs.

That being said...good thread
Old December 15, 2003, 00:05   #5
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

I tried to break issues down as much as possible, but there are far more than a dozen different things we debate.

Old December 15, 2003, 00:08   #6
VJ
King

Local Time: 14:36
I'll list my answers right here so I can later on compare them on the opinions I'll have in the future -- it can be interesting to notice what ideals have changed, and why (the data is much safer in here than in my HD.
- Government should do less wealth redistribution
- Government needs to take over some things that are done by the private sector
- The private sector needs to take over things currently done by the government
- Government should regulate the private sector more
- Government should do more to protect the environment
- The government needs to further separate itself from religion
- The death penalty should be used under some circumstances
- Abortion rights should be expanded
- Government should illegalize things like that ("things like that": marijuana etc.)
- Police can limit rights in favor of national security
- Government should allow civil unions only
- Gay couples should be allowed to adopt
Old December 15, 2003, 00:22   #7
Guynemer
C4WDG The GooniesCiv4 SP Democracy GameBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Government needs to take over some things that are done by the private sector

AND

The private sector needs to take over things currently done by the government

are not mutually exclusive, and I agree with both of those statements.
Old December 15, 2003, 00:24   #8
Kuciwalker
Deity

Government should do less wealth redistribution
The private sector needs to take over things currently done by the government
The death penalty should be used under some circumstances
Government should illegalize things like that
Police can limit rights in favor of national security
Western countries should try to spread democratic ideology throughout the world
Government should allow gay marriage
Gay couples should be allowed to adopt
Old December 15, 2003, 00:40   #9
Kirnwaffen
Warlord

Local Time: 08:36
I screwed up on one section. Should have voted for the government needs to separate itself from religion. I believe that the government needs to be secular, but should not shy away from working with faith based charities.
Old December 15, 2003, 01:09   #10
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Hmm, this is difficult for me. I can agree with things on both sides of many of those issues. Like "Western countries should try to spread democratic ideology throughout the world" Yes I agree with this statement, as stated.

However its probably meant to mean things like the invasion of Iraq, which I disagree with. As it doesn't say how the ideology should be spread, I'm not sure what to think.

"Western democracies should leave the ROW alone "

I agree with this too. But some anti-globalization folks could take this to mean we stop trading with the rest of the world and cage Mickey Mouse. This I'd disagree with.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old December 15, 2003, 01:16   #11
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 16:36
I went into hardcore leftist mode on this one.

The only thing where I should haven't voted at all is on the "democracy around the world" question. I think western countries should spread the ideals of democracy around the world, but I think such process should be subtle, and certainly not through bloodbath.
Old December 15, 2003, 01:22   #12
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Sorry to piss on your poll, neighbor.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old December 15, 2003, 01:26   #13
Ned
King

Local Time: 06:36
There is a problem about the privacy question. I would never agree to let police limit my rights in favor of national security. But I would a court - as is permitted under the law today. The police do not have a free hand in the US. Do they have a free hand outside the US for national security reasons without having to get permission from a judge?
Old December 15, 2003, 01:32   #14
connorkimbro
Emperor

Quote:
The problem is, these aren't one-side-or-the-other issues. For instance, I feel that the government should seperate itself more from embracing any particular religion or religions, yet I feel that faith-based programs have as much right to be federally funded as secular programs.
I agree with this as well. That's why I voted for both options.

oh yes, i was VERY bothered by the lack of an option to vote for "Government should nationalize Banana Farms"

-theonion.com
Old December 15, 2003, 01:37   #15
cinch
Warlord

Mine:

Government should do more to protect the environment
The government needs to further separate itself from religion
The death penalty should not be used under any circumstances
People should have more personal freedom (ie to smoke marijuana)
The individual needs more privacy from the government, more trial rights, etc
Western democracies should leave the ROW alone
Government should allow gay marriage
Gay couples should be allowed to adopt

Any "couplet" that I didn't comment on is something that I feel is "fine" at the moment, and needs no increasing or decreasing.

Yup.
Old December 15, 2003, 10:45   #16
Drogue
staff
Alpha Centauri PBEMNationStatesACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansACDG The Human HiveACDG PeaceACDG3 SpartansACDG3 MorganACDG3 Data AngelsPolyCast TeamC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG3 CMNsACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Apolyton Knight (Off-Topic Co-Moderator)

Government needs to do more to redistribute wealth - I wouldn't call it wealth distribution exactly, but I believe, certainly in the US, in raising the tax rate to pay for public services. Purely because I believe in a basic healthcare for all, and that would involve raising tax in the US.

Government needs to take over some things that are done by the private sector - Same as above, healthcare should be available to all. While I'm all for private clinics too, there should be a government run basic healthcare service that anyone can use.

Government should not regulate the private sector more - With the exception of environmental regulations, as the next question is for, I think the government should let business get on with it's job. However I think firms should pay the full public costs of their actions, not just the private costs. So tradable pollution permits to make them pay the public cost of the pollution they spew I'm all for.

Government should do more to protect the environment - I think currently many countries, the US especially, do not pay the full public/world cost of the pollution they spew. The amount of pollution coming from the US is huge, and it affects the whole world. We are all paying, in terms of environmental damage, for the US's economy, and that isn't right.

The government needs to further separate itself from religion - Freedom of religion should be preserved, but so should freedom from religion. I don't want laws that I have to observe to be made according to a religion I don't believe in. If religious people wish to live by them, that's great, but don't expect me to abide by the laws of a religion I don't subscribe too. Also, the current inherant Christianity in government, such as Bush's speaches ended with "God Bless America" don't exactly help freedom of religion for those that don't agree with the notion of God, or who call him by a different name. Government should be secular. However this goes both ways. The government should stay out of religion too.

The death penalty should be used under some circumstances - This was a hard choice, as I'm not pro-death penalty, but I think life in prison puts too much economic pressure on a nation. It can also be a good bargaining tool. Therefore, while I would like to see it used extremely rarely, I wouldn't want it completely taken off the table, so I'm marginally more this position than having it banned.

Abortion rights should be expanded - I think a women has a right to withdraw her services at any time. I think it should be up to the doctor and women, not a court, to decide.

People should have more personal freedom (ie to smoke marijuana) - I think it's your body to destroy as you wish. However I would like to see smokers have to pay for some of their treatment in hospital, since while it's you right to smoke, I don't see why I should pay for the consequences of your actions. If you want to take the risk, go ahead though. I also think the age of consent should be lowered, as it is for ther teenage to decide when they have sex, and that any adult should be allowed to sign any contract they wish.

The individual needs more privacy from the government, more trial rights, etc - The word privacy did it for me here. I think a person has a right to privacy and fair trial. However I think the police should have enough power to catch criminals. I think it's a fine balance, but I think the Patriot Act went too far, and thus I am marginally on the side of more privacy and trial rights.

Western democracies should leave the ROW alone - In terms of force. A ruler of a foreign nation should not have to have their leadership ratified by the US or anyone else. I think we should judge leaders on their actions, not how they came to power, too.

Government should allow civil unions only - I think gays deserve the same rights as straight people, with regards to legal union and cohabitation. However. while I am for Gay civil unions, to me, marriage is a religious event, and so I am against the government telling religions that they have to accept something they disagree with as acceptable. I think they should be allowed civil unions, with the same rights as a married couple, but without the religious connontations of marriage. Hence pro-gay civil unions but anti-gay marriage.

Gay couples should be allowed to adopt - I think a loving home is a loving home, whether straight or gay. As long as they pass the usual tests for adoptive parents, I see no reason not to allow gay couples to adopt.

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker
Old December 15, 2003, 10:55   #17
duke o' york
Civilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 15:36
Left wing, right wing, we still need bananas!
In response to the question "Where does Apolyton stand?", the only answer is banana. And you didn't even put it in your poll!
Old December 15, 2003, 10:56   #18
connorkimbro
Emperor

duke: No, as i said before in the thread the correct answer is "The Government should nationalize Banana Farms."

-theonion.com
Old December 15, 2003, 10:57   #19
Solly
Emperor

Gays should have all rights removed.
Old December 15, 2003, 10:59   #20
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 09:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Park Avenue
Gays should have all rights removed.
And you are again one post away from a restriction... take your anti gay crap to another site.
Old December 15, 2003, 11:01   #21
The Emperor Fabulous
Civ4 SP Democracy Game
King

Drogue - We pretty much answered the same except for the regulation of the private sector. Good show
Old December 15, 2003, 11:01   #22
East Street Trader
Prince

I dislike government.

It gets more and more overblown.

Politicians like to be all things to all people. So they get involved in more not less. They promise to make things better but almost never does anything actually come out better. Much better if we could manage to stop then meddling.

In particular I hate governments as legislators. In the UK we are engulfed in a flood of government made law. It is all bad.

When the law looks back to see how particular problems have been resolved in the past it does fine. When a legislative body tries to make law it does a very very bad job.

So most of the questions had no good answer for me. because in one way or the other most gave a role to government. When I would like the sole business of government to be the finding of ways to do ever less than it did before.
Old December 15, 2003, 11:05   #23
C0ckney
King

i would broadly agree with EST, i think lord salisbury put it best:

'[the role of the british government...]is to meander gently down stream, casting out occasional boat hooks to avoid disaster...'

"The most obvious predicition about the future is that it will be mostly like the past" - Alain de Botton
Old December 15, 2003, 11:06   #24
Solly
Emperor

Quote:
And you are again one post away from a restriction... take your anti gay crap to another site.
Such as where?
Old December 15, 2003, 11:12   #25
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Such as where?
I frankly don't care... as long as it isn't HERE.

So take it somewhere else... because the next time, there will be no warning... just a quick and long restriction. You have been warned often enough on this subject.
Old December 15, 2003, 11:19   #26
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

This site is available, Park Lane.
http://www.grim.org/

Definitely the opposite of Gay.
Old December 15, 2003, 11:19   #27
Solly
Emperor

Oh come on Ming, it's Christmas

Bet you're looking forward to the 5am start,
Old December 15, 2003, 11:24   #28
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Oh come on Ming, it's Christmas

Bet you're looking forward to the 5am start,
That's why I gave you yet another warning... tis the season

And THANK GOD... my kids like to sleep in, so it won't be 5am... More like 7:30 am. I'll probably be awake before them.
Old December 15, 2003, 11:33   #29
Solly
Emperor

Oh yeah, gotta get the all-important golf round in first..
Old December 15, 2003, 11:40   #30
Ming
lifer
Retired

Nah... Even if by some chance it's nice enough to play golf that day, my wife would shoot me if I even considered it.

We throw a big party for our friends on Christmas night... and after we open gifts in the morning, the rest of the day is spent getting ready for the evening.