View Poll Results: What do you look for in the future of civ?
A radical departure. I want a whole new game, baby! 26 11.11%
A significant departure. i want a new game, but i dont want it to be alien from my good 'ole civ 161 68.80%
A slight departure. I just wanna tweak some things, and perhaps a few changes, but nothin much 31 13.25%
I dont wanna depart at all from my civ1, civ2 or civ3 that i love so dearly 4 1.71%
banana 12 5.13%
Voters: 234. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 25, 2004, 22:31   #61
Toby Rowe
Warlord

Local Time: 14:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Fosse,

"I feel that if the series doesn't make truly signifigant steps forward in its models and gameplay, that it will degenerate into a series of graphics updates."

You are probably right sadly, seems to be that most versions of the original are- each developer "must" make it's new mark; graphics, not gameplay seems to be the route they take, desired or not. (both would be good, but they seem unable to do both at the same time.)

Toby
Toby Rowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2004, 02:19   #62
Addled Platypus
supporter
Alpha Centauri PBEMCall to Power PBEMCivilization IV PBEMBtS Tri-League
Emperor

Local Time: 07:36
161 voted so far

1055 in the forums,

lets all tell two friends and they can tell two friends.

This message needs to be loud and clear
Old September 27, 2004, 17:21   #63
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 16:36
I don't want a radical departure.
As I've posted many times, I want something You can easily update civ2 scns to, and a radical change could make it impossible.
Civ3, I didn't enjoy it, I want civ2 to be the base for civ4, not civ3, with some ideas of Colonisation, SMAC, other games even included.
I do not recall anything I was that fond of in Civ3, barbarians were a bit better perhaps.

The title of this thread, FROM CIV3 to civ4, makes me vote "no departure"
If it was "from civ 1,2,3 to civ4"
I'd vote a significant or slught change
Heresson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27, 2004, 17:49   #64
Brent
Prince

Local Time: 06:36
I want radical improvements along existing lines. I want any change to tiles and cities to be slight. I'd tentatively be happy with slight changes to the editor.

I want more of the same: More civs, more scenarios.
Brent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1, 2004, 21:43   #65
Toby Rowe
Warlord

Heresson,

Using Civ 2, not Civ 3 as a basis for Civ 4 would make me very happy indeed.

I disliked only 3 things in Civ2; Partisans (as annoying as pollution in Civ3; "Partisans take to the hills!!" is a sentence I never wish to hear again :-)

Very odd random maps that produce 100 2 tile islands- which made me always make my own maps instead- I maybe British, but a vast Royal Navy and 25 landing craft just to take the gits over was boring, and like many games, they always took over another 2-tile island to survive.

My third gripe was how most wars occur once the industrial age begins- I really would like to see the stroppy AI nations declare war on you during the Egyptian/Greek/Roman era's- certainly would concentrate your mind on advancement and protection and treasury, if we must have nations acting historically. Those pesky Mongols- whatever nation you are.......

Toby!!
Old October 2, 2004, 23:01   #66
Addled Platypus
supporter
Emperor

From my experiences Toby, I seem to be attacked for reasons and no reason, in the eraly years and later on.

From ny memory, the earliest was about 2700 bc.

Maybe they don't like Platypi's?
Old October 3, 2004, 01:09   #67
Mad Bomber
King

Local Time: 10:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Toby Rowe
Heresson,

Using Civ 2, not Civ 3 as a basis for Civ 4 would make me very happy indeed.

I disliked only 3 things in Civ2; Partisans (as annoying as pollution in Civ3; "Partisans take to the hills!!" is a sentence I never wish to hear again :-)

Very odd random maps that produce 100 2 tile islands- which made me always make my own maps instead- I maybe British, but a vast Royal Navy and 25 landing craft just to take the gits over was boring, and like many games, they always took over another 2-tile island to survive.

My third gripe was how most wars occur once the industrial age begins- I really would like to see the stroppy AI nations declare war on you during the Egyptian/Greek/Roman era's- certainly would concentrate your mind on advancement and protection and treasury, if we must have nations acting historically. Those pesky Mongols- whatever nation you are.......

Toby!!
I have been the unfortunate victim of many early wars, a few of them starting before 2500BC. I'd like to see the ancient age last a bit longer (no 50 or 100 turn years please!) but the AI aggressiveness is fine for my tastes. Of course, you could always increase the AI agression when starting a new game.
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Mad Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10, 2004, 00:02   #68
Toby Rowe
Warlord

Mad Bomber,

Wow, that's a harsh sentiment to take about Republicans (your sig)- your nation after all has only 2 contenders for goverment which is only one single Party more than a dictatorship.

Like us in the UK. Old political system, and in dire need of reform, pretty much like the whole of Europe adopted Proportional Representation post WW2, except the UK, and the US. Just imagine- you live in a borough and your vote might even actually count if you don't want the current Parliament member to represent you, Imagine an close Liberal/Labour vote, then imagine your vote might mean something. Under the current system, my party (Labour) will always be returned- even if they win by one single vote- that Isn't democracy, PR is.

Anyway, like you, I'd like the game to spend far longer in the ancient period when we all struggle, but is very fun to play. Most wars happen once the Ironclad exists in the game, whilst in reality most wars began and finished before. (in History)

I'm bored with Destroyers, interested in Corvettes.....but still want the ancient world period drastically slowed down- like you say, changing the turn period is very easy- How about speeding up the "dark age" of Europe if they must do a 100/50-year turn due to programming limitations?

Toby

Toby :-)
Old October 10, 2004, 06:54   #69
Mad Bomber
King

Quote:
Mad Bomber,

Wow, that's a harsh sentiment to take about Republicans (your sig)- your nation after all has only 2 contenders for goverment which is only one single Party more than a dictatorship.
The republicans get what they deserve. If you have cable, watch about 5 mins of the Fox network or CNN and you can see where this statement comes from.

Quote:
Like us in the UK. Old political system, and in dire need of reform, pretty much like the whole of Europe adopted Proportional Representation post WW2, except the UK, and the US. Just imagine- you live in a borough and your vote might even actually count if you don't want the current Parliament member to represent you, Imagine an close Liberal/Labour vote, then imagine your vote might mean something. Under the current system, my party (Labour) will always be returned- even if they win by one single vote- that Isn't democracy, PR is.
I like the British system better that the US federal system where third parties and independents are essentially irrelevent. At least in Britain you do have other parties to vote for if you disagree with the two major parties.

Quote:
Anyway, like you, I'd like the game to spend far longer in the ancient period when we all struggle, but is very fun to play. Most wars happen once the Ironclad exists in the game, whilst in reality most wars began and finished before. (in History)

I'm bored with Destroyers, interested in Corvettes.....but still want the ancient world period drastically slowed down- like you say, changing the turn period is very easy- How about speeding up the "dark age" of Europe if they must do a 100/50-year turn due to programming limitations?

Toby

Toby :-)
I appreciate the comments. I must admit I don't really like ancient age warfare, but I do often get involved with them. There are a few ways to increase the timespan for the ancient era:

1. Have a high Barbarian rate (or no barbarians): This is necessary because expansionist civ's often shorten the ancient age by popping goody huts (I have exited the ancient age by 1500 BC w/ an expansionist civ on at least 5 occasions just with luck in hut popping)

2. Play with the maximum # of civs for the given map size
3. Increase the Corruption rate
4. Increase the research cost for techs
5. Make Literature a required tech for advancement
6. Increase the Maximum and Minimum # of turns for researching tech (default for C3C is min=4, max=50; an increase by 25% would slow down tech research dramatically unless played at Emperor or higher)
* There are Lies, Damned Lies, and The Republican Party.
Mad Bomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13, 2004, 00:07   #70
Toby Rowe
Warlord

Mad Bomber,

"6. Increase the Maximum and Minimum # of turns for researching tech (default for C3C is min=4, max=50; an increase by 25% would slow down tech research dramatically unless played at Emperor or higher)"

I agree.

But all this could be achieved at the single press of a button before you start a game: "Slow research"

After I'd played "Rise of Nations" for the first time I first laughed and then laughed louder once I realised the "4000 years of history" was played and finished within 2 hours. I certainly don't wish to waste £32/$55 ish on crap like that ever again.

The Civilisation series is the benchmark on a long game that makes you think. I simply wish to make the game longer, in what I percieve to be the most interesting era(and most fun; the ancient era)

I think pre-BC, a Plalanx moving 60 squares will put the unit into the "ancient unit" category alone- that was a long 6,000 year march, shame about the Pikemen waiting for them!!

Bet you Firaxis will shorten the game to try to grab the very short attention span of the youth within our various nations.

I tried to play the highest level, but gave up once my second city went Russian by cultural influence (I bumped into a Russian Plalanx, the next turn I lost the city)- I like fun in my game, not torture!

As for Republicans or Democrats- that's for you Yank's to decide- I personally think a 3-party system is better than a two-party one, but I prefer the European PR system (Italy excluded)- More than 5% of the vote means you get a seat, less you don't. Simply, Easy.

I want the UK to adopt it- we British set up the German system after WWII afterall- good enough for them, clearly not good enough for us peasants in Britain however....

If Fireaxis persists with government "types" then PR must be within it (I want the slider values instead).

Toby
Old October 13, 2004, 06:33   #71
Addled Platypus
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Mad Bomber,

The Civilisation series is the benchmark on a long game that makes you think. I simply wish to make the game longer, in what I percieve to be the most interesting era(and most fun; the ancient era)

I think pre-BC, a Plalanx moving 60 squares will put the unit into the "ancient unit" category alone- that was a long 6,000 year march, shame about the Pikemen waiting for them!!

I tried to play the highest level, but gave up once my second city went Russian by cultural influence (I bumped into a Russian Plalanx, the next turn I lost the city)- I like fun in my game, not torture!

As for Republicans or Democrats- that's for you Yank's to decide- I personally think a 3-party system is better than a two-party one, but I prefer the European PR system (Italy excluded)- More than 5% of the vote means you get a seat, less you don't. Simply, Easy.

I want the UK to adopt it- we British set up the German system after WWII afterall- good enough for them, clearly not good enough for us peasants in Britain however....

If Fireaxis persists with government "types" then PR must be within it (I want the slider values instead).

Toby
Well said, and from a Yankee
Old October 13, 2004, 16:36   #72
Didymus
lifer
Warlord

Local Time: 09:36
I voted slight, but I really lean toward the 'significant' end of that range.
John 6:68
Didymus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2004, 20:52   #73
10BRAVO
Settler

i want Civ4 3D!
i want to be immersed into the game.

In the multiplayer mode i want teams of players to get together to form a civilization that would exist on the game server "worlds".

and of course fight other teams of players that would represent another nation.

This is broad and very general but that what I want...

CIV 4 3D!
10BRAVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2004, 20:56   #74
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Flinx
Civ is Civ. If you change it too much then it will not be Civ it will be something else. Do you want Civ4 or do you want CTP3 or AOE2 or....
Civ3 is Civ3, but Civ4 will be Civ4.
"Now you're gonna ask me, is it an enforcer's job to drop the gloves against the other team's best player? Well sure no, but you've gotta know, these guys, they don't think like you and me." (Joël Bouchard, commenting on the Gaborik-Carcillo incident).
Oncle Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14, 2004, 20:58   #75
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Heresson
I don't want a radical departure.
As I've posted many times, I want something You can easily update civ2 scns to, and a radical change could make it impossible.
I wouldn't count on it if I was you.
"Now you're gonna ask me, is it an enforcer's job to drop the gloves against the other team's best player? Well sure no, but you've gotta know, these guys, they don't think like you and me." (Joël Bouchard, commenting on the Gaborik-Carcillo incident).
Oncle Boris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2004, 14:45   #76
Heresson
Emperor

Why? Don't they hear my voice?
hm....
Old October 15, 2004, 15:06   #77
Brent
Prince

It would be very cool to be able to update civ2 scenarios to civ4, but I really don't think it would be possible. I don't know how such things work, but others don't think it would be possible. I'd like it if the designers create new scenarios similar to the old ones. The same sort of variety, including space.
Old October 15, 2004, 16:15   #78
Heresson
Emperor

I'm just afraid that old wonderful scns will be forgotten when people will play civ4 instead of civ2
Old October 15, 2004, 19:17   #79
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

You know, it's called "moving on" and "development"... Play Civ2 if you want to play them, basta.
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15, 2004, 23:35   #80
Vince278
King

Quote:
Why? Don't they hear my voice?
hm....
Just a tree in the forest.

Imagine the frankenstein monster we'd have if they listened to everyone.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2004, 01:40   #81
Quezacotl06
Alpha Centauri PBEM
Warlord

I voted significant change. I want my money's worth of events to make civ4 more realistic.

I.E. Tech tree needs to be tweaked (democracy should be an ancient tech, republic should be early middle ages, also, monotheism should be ancient as well. Communism should come from Industrialization, not nationalism, you get the picture.), Growth rates should mimic reality (developd countries grow slower (or not at all) compared to developing. Also, you should be able to change your religion (like switch between mysticism, polytheism, fundamentalism, liberal theology, atheism, etc.), as well as gov. (many civs in the past underwent such revolutions, and they changed the civilization's values and such.) Plus, you can have fundamentalism, much so missed from Civ3, and u can have either a spartan Religous Police-State like Saudi Arabia, or an Evangelical Crackhouse thats Fundamentalist/Democracy, like the south.

Most of all: I want random events, like in Alpha Centauri. I want more disease, more famines, more natural phenomenon (like volcanoes and earthquakes that could destroy mass transit systems, hurricanes that destroy all ocean improvements/units), religous scisms that could destroy religous buildings in a cities, economic collapses, breakaway civs (in distant cities w. high corruption/unhappiness) that could arrive in mid-late game. Pollution to cause fish stocks, game, and other animal-related tile bonuses to disappear slowly. Floods to destroy all irrigation in certain cities, storms to destroy roads and damage infrastructure. Bumber-crop harvests, industrial booms, baby booms. THE WHOLE WORKS!!!!
Quezacotl06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 16, 2004, 03:28   #82
Addled Platypus
supporter
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince278

Imagine the frankenstein monster we'd have if they listened to everyone.

I see....Frankinciv
Old October 16, 2004, 03:51   #83
Brent
Prince

Yeah, Monotheism should be available early. Switching religions the same way as switching governments sounds good and would be cool.

Text interludes might be cool.
Old October 16, 2004, 04:03   #84
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Platypus Rex
I see....Frankinciv
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
Old October 16, 2004, 14:24   #85
Heresson
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Vince278

Just a tree in the forest.
Nah, I don't want them to listen to EVERYONE.
I want them to listen to ME ME ME!
Old October 16, 2004, 23:53   #86
Vince278
King

Quote:
Nah, I don't want them to listen to EVERYONE.
I want them to listen to ME ME ME!
Old October 17, 2004, 06:04   #87
Nikolai
Apolyton UniversityC4DG The Mercenary TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Hopeless example of a too great ego...
Do not fear, for I am with you; Do not anxiously look about you, for I am your God. -Isaiah 41:10
The LORD your God is with you, he is mighty to save. He will take great delight in you, he will quiet you with his love, he will rejoice over you with singing. - Zephaniah 3:17
Get The List for cIV here!
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2004, 09:59   #88
Heresson
Emperor

My words are backed with legions of frogs.
Old October 18, 2004, 11:57   #89
piom
Settler

Civ4 needs:
- 4 main types of civs (red = mining, green = aggricultural, blue = sci-fi, white = ancient or
averange) plus rotating civ type (trading?)
- 4 maps: 3 suface (space) levels + another dimension (underground and undersea, surface + another dimension, sky)
- 4 personality types for leaders (good, bad, aggresive, neutral) can influence on diplomacy system and on war
- slightly changeable border between undersea and underworld (oceans and lands)
- country can do great catastrophes for example: big flood, nuclear strike or revolution of cities, epidemic, war between dimensions ...
- multiplayer mode
- terrain engine isometric-pseudo 3d (similar: Settlers 3, Alpha Centauri) or good 3d engine
- more countries on tiny map (fun game) :-)
"Mind can change our play"
PioM
piom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2004, 12:18   #90
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:36
Local Date: November 3, 2010
/me think of an all new game..

*Unbidden, the image of CTP comes to WIA's mind

Erm, not that one please.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote