Old December 19, 2003, 08:40   #31
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 22:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
The thing is, you're thinking that its a warrior.

It's not a warrior, its a human.
Old December 19, 2003, 15:28   #32
Kuciwalker
Deity

Local Time: 10:36
A Kevlar-Armored Human armed with a Club, then. Does that make you happy?
Old December 19, 2003, 15:36   #33
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 22:36
There IS a difference.

If you say "A warrior with Kevlar and a club" then it sounds odd. Because how can you still have warriors and be in an era with Kevlar technology?

If you say "A human with Kevlar Armor and a club" then it makes more sense. But only because the club is the cheapest/only weapon the player has chosen to use for the unit they wanted to create. Of course, I think in this case, the 'club' would have to be modernised looking. Like the nightstick.
Old December 19, 2003, 15:47   #34
Kuciwalker
Deity

The fact is, that is absolutely ridiculous from a civ perspective. I'm going to create a regiment of troops armed with nightsticks? Would this "Kevlar Armor" give them a good defense? There is a relatively small number of units that make any sense in the context of the game; small enough that they can be designed normally. And I'll repeat, a purely SMAC-style workshop is completely out of the question. It would be ridiculous for a unit to defend with its armor.
Old December 19, 2003, 23:28   #35
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Why wouldn't you create a regiment of troops armed with nightsticks? Sounds like MPs or riot police to me....

I don't think Sn00py is way out on this. A unit workship doesn't need to be constructed in a way to yield 32,000 unique units, it can be more narrowly defined.

Another thing, you keep saying, how many jet planes can you have in civ? (i've read the same comment from you in other posts) Well, let me say that I would like to have multiple iterations of "standard units"...and not just jet planes, but possibly every military unit. Why wouldn't I want an upgrade path of F-86 Sabre, then a F-4 Phantom, then a F15 Strike Eagle, then a F-22? Sounds like real world...sounds like a good idea.

Don't you ever get tired of the simplicity of Civ? It goes something like...."Great, I got all the techs I need to build Jet Fighters, I'm better than the next Civ" "Oh crap, now he can build the same exact jet plane that I can!" Too simplistic. Every civ must use exactly the same set of construction plans to build planes!

A wider range of "jet planes" opens up a more complex situation of evaluating your enemy would emerge. "My F-86 Sabres(armed with machine guns, not air to air missiles) has to go up against MIG-29 Fulcrums. (armed with advanced fire control computers and high performance air to air missles)." I better mass my planes to have a chance. Instead it's like this... I'm going to send up my F-16 Fighting Falcons against his F-16 Fighting Falcons and since I have 20 and he has 15, I should win." Maybe I'm crazy, but gosh, more options and complexity sound interesting to me.

I can envision a very complex science tree that would dictate a wide variety of building choices. I'm not sure if I would like a "unit workshop" since I've never played SMAC, but I don't see how it can be denied as a "good idea". Especially since your only argument is "I don't like it".
Old December 19, 2003, 23:39   #36
Seeker
Emperor

Local Time: 09:36
HEAR HEAR!

This is Civ 4 people!!

I want VAST variety and total control!

Vast armies and complex combined arms movements sweeping across vast continents all at my command!

If you want simplicity go back to Civ 1.
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2003, 02:44   #37
POTUS
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusMacCivilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 06:36
Location: How could I possibly not have a Mozambican flag, I mean, what other country has an AK-47 on their flag?
Quote:
Originally posted by Seeker
HEAR HEAR!

This is Civ 4 people!!

Vast armies and complex combined arms movements sweeping across vast continents all at my command!

Last edited by POTUS; December 20, 2003 at 02:51.
POTUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2003, 12:43   #38
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
Why wouldn't you create a regiment of troops armed with nightsticks? Sounds like MPs or riot police to me....

I don't think Sn00py is way out on this. A unit workship doesn't need to be constructed in a way to yield 32,000 unique units, it can be more narrowly defined.

Another thing, you keep saying, how many jet planes can you have in civ? (i've read the same comment from you in other posts) Well, let me say that I would like to have multiple iterations of "standard units"...and not just jet planes, but possibly every military unit. Why wouldn't I want an upgrade path of F-86 Sabre, then a F-4 Phantom, then a F15 Strike Eagle, then a F-22? Sounds like real world...sounds like a good idea.

Don't you ever get tired of the simplicity of Civ? It goes something like...."Great, I got all the techs I need to build Jet Fighters, I'm better than the next Civ" "Oh crap, now he can build the same exact jet plane that I can!" Too simplistic. Every civ must use exactly the same set of construction plans to build planes!

A wider range of "jet planes" opens up a more complex situation of evaluating your enemy would emerge. "My F-86 Sabres(armed with machine guns, not air to air missiles) has to go up against MIG-29 Fulcrums. (armed with advanced fire control computers and high performance air to air missles)." I better mass my planes to have a chance. Instead it's like this... I'm going to send up my F-16 Fighting Falcons against his F-16 Fighting Falcons and since I have 20 and he has 15, I should win." Maybe I'm crazy, but gosh, more options and complexity sound interesting to me.

I can envision a very complex science tree that would dictate a wide variety of building choices. I'm not sure if I would like a "unit workshop" since I've never played SMAC, but I don't see how it can be denied as a "good idea". Especially since your only argument is "I don't like it".
How about a compromise - we can do this, but only if there is no stacked combat

There's actually a point behind that - stacked combat removes most of the tactical element from the game. Putting this in adds to the tactical element in the game. This is pretty pointless with stacked combat.

Personally, I think the level of tactics in C3 are just right. I think that this would vastly increase MM and that the AI would be really bad at it.
Old December 20, 2003, 13:10   #39
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Well, the stacked combat debate rears its ugly head again.

If the stacked combat is lining up the troops on each side, the ranged units firing, the other units clashing in a series of one on one battles, then yes, that would seem to reduce a series of smaller battles (if you didn't have stacked combat) into one or two massive battes (with stacked combat). Perhaps...

So your argument would be:

1. Stacked combat AND no unit workshop
OR
2. No stacked combat AND a unit workshop

There is some logic there, unless the "tactical minigame" utilizing stacked combat was made very robust.

What I mean is that a stack of troops meets an enemy stack of troops on one tile. Then the tactical minigame opens up.

That one tile (from a strategic perspective) expands to 40 tiles and each tile has unique geographical features. Your one armor unit breaks down into three or four armored companies. You would play a game like Steel Panthers or Panzer Leader.

no, this isn't civ anymore, but I have to admit I would be totally into it if this concept was introduced.

As an aside, I have changed my mind and I am "definatly pro-zeppelin" The comments at the beginning of this thread make a lot of sense about the "rewriting" of history. It's the whole idea of civ....
Old December 20, 2003, 13:58   #40
Kuciwalker
Deity

from my post in the other thread:

Quote:
ewwww... reminds me of SW:Rebellion
no tactical minigame, ever
Old December 20, 2003, 15:55   #41
Seeker
Emperor

Local Time: 09:36
anyone played Warlords IV?

How did the tac mini game work out there?
Seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2003, 20:54   #42
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 08:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Seeker
HEAR HEAR!

This is Civ 4 people!!

Kramerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23, 2003, 21:05   #43
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker

no tactical minigame, ever
And that's where the conversation/debate ends with you.

Well, I refute your point with my point: "There better be a tactical game, or else."

So whose point is better? I say mine.
Old December 23, 2003, 21:55   #44
Kuciwalker
Deity

If you'd read more of these boards, you'd find out that I have good reasons (or at least reasons) for those statements.
Old December 23, 2003, 21:57   #45
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

I'm reading the same boards you are...

No offense dude... I gave you the
Old December 24, 2003, 11:28   #46
GodKing
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 TabemonoC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC3CDG The Lost BoysCiv4 SP Democracy GameC4DG SarantiumC4WDG CalysiumC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

I like the idea. Kevlar is invented, wrap your many small Helium filled (the reason germany didn't fill the hindenberg with helium is because the US refused to sell it to them for military reasons) with a kevlar overcoat, and you now have a small aricraft carrier that can move around inside of enemy held continents and withstand a lot of small arms fire... of course, even a tank hit with a big missle is just scrap.....

I like the idea of a MOO / SMAC type editor, as long as it looks nice, works nice, and so forth. However, it would radically change the character of the game. MOO I used to actually play to research techs, then add the super weapon to my ships to kill all the badguys. In civ, victory is more production oriented than research. You build the most, you can overwealm the enemy even if they are a bit more advanced than you. (Last night I send 30 immortals against riflemen, and they won 3 cities while my cavelry forces cought up and destroyed the evil sneak attacking Dutch).

As long as I could figure a way to hump myself, I would be OK with that
--Con
GodKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24, 2003, 12:03   #47
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
I like the idea. Kevlar is invented, wrap your many small Helium filled (the reason germany didn't fill the hindenberg with helium is because the US refused to sell it to them for military reasons) with a kevlar overcoat, and you now have a small aricraft carrier that can move around inside of enemy held continents and withstand a lot of small arms fire... of course, even a tank hit with a big missle is just scrap.....
Any aircraft in range of small-arms fire would be in range of some somewhat more heavy fire, too and a blimp is a much easier target than a person.