Old December 16, 2003, 05:44   #91
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 07:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
we'll take them. Spanish food is good. I'm not sure about Polish food. We have a polish restaraunt in my city now. But I'm not sure about Polish food.
Old December 16, 2003, 05:51   #92
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 08:36
i like them mostly cause i feel sorry for them. my ancestors were refugees after all. but they were an innovative melting pot back i nthe day, likea little america. so they are ok in my book
Old December 16, 2003, 06:10   #93
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

Local Time: 15:36
Poles sell good geese for Christmas, although they stuff them not exactly in a goose-friendly way. But most people don't care about this.
Old December 16, 2003, 06:17   #94
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Local Time: 09:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor
Wow, I'm sure the Luxemburgers will feel honored that you consider each of them of having the worth of 200 Germans.

WTG democracy
Yes, they'll feel just like Utah.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old December 16, 2003, 06:31   #95
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 14:36
Very funny.
Old December 16, 2003, 06:39   #96
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Thank you.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old December 16, 2003, 07:01   #97
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Well, some thoughs

1) First of all, I dare to say that I'm a little disappointed with this thread because I feel that these complaints, that I can understand, about Spanish and Polish position could have been expresed without that bashing (specially against Poland...)

2) The point is that there's already a teatry in UE, the Nize teatry. The new constitution, I've read it, is very good and I like it, but the thing is that Spain and Poland will lose what they won in Nice without getting any advantage. For instance, Spain lost a number of seats in the European Parlament; in order to lost the advantages of Nice, at least these seats should be offered back. Plus, Polonia and other countries have voted the UE's ingress under one teatry (Nice) and now we want to change it even when these new countries haven't joined yet - Well, it could be difficult to a nation to tell their citiziens: You've approved Nice, now we're going to change BEFORE we joined the UE...

3) If we're speaking of democracy "one man=one vote", then we should override the 50% of states part... But, we're not going to do that, becuase the little (in population) countries will never accept that. So, what we have?

-A 50% of the states: that's very good for little (in population) countries.
-A 60% of UE population: that's very good for big (in population) countries (Germany, France, UK and Italy)

Neither Poland or Spain fits in those categories, so they're a little disappointed with the constitution.

4) For internal political reasons, Spain and Poland's prime ministers can return to their countries as "losers". In fact, nobody in Europe can. So, I think that Germany and France should have make a better deal (in fact, Aznar, Spanish Prime Minister, was willing to negotiate one deal) so all can say "we won".

5) The European Presidency, in Berlusconi's hand until the end of the year, have done a very poor job, IMHO. This problem should have been deal with much earlier and not only in three days.

6) That's only about Spain. I know that Aznar is not an europeist. Being myself an europeist, I feel shamed many times by Aznar's behaviour towards the Union. I like this constitution and I hope a deal will be reached soon in order to approve that, maybe with a minor modification about the votes, despite Aznar's behaviour. Some solutions have been sugested: for instance, to increment the population needed to 66%, that will give Poland and Spain more or less the same power that in Nice. The problem is that give Germany even more power, so some other European members are not for it.

7) Giscard d'Estain is not a friend of Spain. He didn't help Spain against ETA when he governed, and he hasn't been very nice and diplomatic towards Spain in this constitution's process. This is just my humble opinion, and I can be wrong (In fact, I'm many times wrong).

So... Why we don't work together to modify a little the constitution and work a solution for Poland and Spain? This constitution seems to be great
Old December 16, 2003, 07:24   #98
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

I agree with your thoughs, but I dont worry about the outcome. Building the EU is a difficult and long process.

About bashing, with the notable exception of some retarded posters who express their prejudices with the intent to hurt, in this thread the Poles or even sometimes... the French , most often it is just teasing which could even be funny.
Old December 16, 2003, 08:25   #99
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 16:36
Yes Heresson, we'lll eave the Union as you join, and then we'll open a new union and everyone will join ours and then you'll want to join too and the debate starts over.
Old December 18, 2003, 07:17   #100
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Ralph
Poles sell good geese for Christmas, although they stuff them not exactly in a goose-friendly way. But most people don't care about this.
Not any more. It was something like 1997 that feeding goose in a bit cruel was was banned.

Quote:
Yes Heresson, we'lll eave the Union as you join, and then we'll open a new union and everyone will join ours and then you'll want to join too and the debate starts over.
Too much self-confidence, though there's something in it.
Just that that comment doesn't bring anything into the discussion - just like mine earlier, and your earlier.
You're my greatest master of spam. I sallute You.
Old December 18, 2003, 09:09   #101
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Guess who is really to blame!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programme...nt/3327115.stm

I normally take conspiracy theories with a shovelfull of salt but this one is just too believable (even from the BBC).
Old December 18, 2003, 11:47   #102
Ecthy
Emperor

Let's invade Poland and make it a EU protectorate rather than have them join by these ways.
Old December 18, 2003, 12:09   #103
gunkulator
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
Let's invade Poland and make it a EU protectorate rather than have them join by these ways.
Should have followed with a "Been there. Done that."
Old December 18, 2003, 12:28   #104
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by CerberusIV
Guess who is really to blame!
On ne prète qu'aux riches !

In Le Canard enchaîné, this week, a cartoon shows two muscular CIA guys, standing in front of Saddam and presenting to him a picture of Chirac. They say : What can you tell us about your friend?

If really a man alone is able to cause havoc in the ME and in Europe the same year, I think he deserves some admiration.

Last edited by DAVOUT; December 18, 2003 at 12:54.
Old December 18, 2003, 12:46   #105
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 17:36
France and Germany are like these two bullies at school. Other one is the big fat kid bully, and the other one is the stupid bully who follows around and kisses the big bullies butt, for not to get beat up and to get respect from small normal ones. But what they don't understand is they really don't get any respect. All they get is despice of others. They will end up losers, never leaving the home town, other one misses the reunion because is in jail and drug addict, the other one shows up but gets beaten up and girls who are now turn to succesful women laugh at them and only make out with the normal kids. Even the class nerd tosses the bully around and everyone has a blast. They'll go on and continue their lives, but the bully goes home and cry, then gets angry and 'screw everyone' attitude, goes to biker bar and starts trouble resulting to getting beaten to death with chains and run over by harley davidson.

No one comes to his funeral. He prolly goes to hell too. His only 'friend' might have come if he wasn't being buttraped at the same time in prison.
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.
Old December 18, 2003, 12:48   #106
Pekka
Emperor

Correction is in order: The big fat bullies are Chirac and Schroeder.
Old December 18, 2003, 13:25   #107
Ecthy
Emperor

Actually you make the impression of being a bully yourself.
Old December 18, 2003, 13:30   #108
DAVOUT
King

It takes a few more posts to go from impression to certainty. Dont worry, it is absolutely normal.
Old December 18, 2003, 13:31   #109
Ecthy
Emperor

I've seen enough posts from Pekka and "unintelligent bully" is exactly my certain impression of him
Old December 18, 2003, 13:36   #110
Pekka
Emperor

Fat kids! Biker chains!
I know I talk loud, but I don't boss anyone around.
You should check out my signature. I'm Supercitizen. I defend the weak ones. Because I'm SupppaCittizen powerfull, I'm a fighter, like a bull, He calls the right, he calls the wrong
He is the one who HITS THE GOOOOOOOOOOONG!!!
Old December 18, 2003, 13:37   #111
Ecthy
Emperor

Guys like you, Pekka, guys like you...

and we all know of what I speak
Old December 18, 2003, 13:38   #112
Pekka
Emperor

And I don't mind your insults. I mean, you can throw them in the air and you know I just don't care. It gives you the intellectual superiority attacking me personally.
Old December 18, 2003, 13:39   #113
Pekka
Emperor

Guys like me rock.
Old December 18, 2003, 13:40   #114
Ecthy
Emperor

Who's attacking anyone personally.

That girl rejected you because she knows what kine of lout you are.
Old December 18, 2003, 13:41   #115
Ecthy
Emperor

of course the Birts are the mega lager louts of the union.
Old December 18, 2003, 13:42   #116
Pekka
Emperor

You. You are now attacking me personally. But hey, you know, go ahead. I can take it. It's not like I get depressed, pop million pills and kill myself if something doesn't go my way.
Old December 18, 2003, 13:45   #117
Ecthy
Emperor

no, you'll just boss people around instead to compensate...
Old December 18, 2003, 13:49   #118
Pekka
Emperor

Yeah, but I don't boss around people either. As you see, I'm being loud about countries, and then I changed it to their leaders, because I don't think I should bash the countries, because it's something citizens kind of represents and that would be unfair. So I changed it to their leaders instead. People might still get offended, but hey that's the risk I'm willing to take.

So, I don't know where you get the impression that I boss around people. I don't boss around people. I don't tell people what to do.
Old December 18, 2003, 13:52   #119
Ecthy
Emperor

you're also a loud lout about your life.
Old December 18, 2003, 13:53   #120
Pekka
Emperor

but I have to go now for a while, so excuse me if I don't defend for a short while to your attacks pulled from your head. You can continue the 'slaughtering' though, I mean if you don't like my character I only think it's fair you express yourself with your full capacity and say what's on your mind, so you don't have to bury it deep into your mind. Say it out loud if it makes you feel better.

Danke!

Loud about my life? Fair enough. If you don't want to hear about it, just don't read the threads about them. I know it's kind of egoistical in a way, but hey, I admit it. I don't feel ashamed a bit. If you want to be the quiet one in the corner, be my guest. If you want to join the loudness, welcome. Come on, let it all out.