Local Time: 16:36
Local Date: November 2, 2010
büdde
Old December 18, 2003, 14:43   #122
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

I'm not exactly surprised that France stood to win political gain by the failure of Brussels. So far, Chirac's had a wet dream of making a European bloc and turning the world into a multipolar one. This leads him to consider Europe as a huge economical machine that should be ruled according to... Chirac's geopolitical conceptions

The main hindrance to Chirac's plans is the slowness of the EU's evolution, mostly because of UK's behaviour. Chirac wants since long to fnd a way to further integrate with his ad-hoc allies, especially Germany.

Chirac wanted to force the EU on the foreign policy issue last January, when France and Germany stated their opposition to the war in Iraq, and when they were flabbergasted that there was such a disagreement even outside of the UK. Even worse in Chirac's perspective, the new members thought they could afford being runts towards the benevolent Franco-German couple

The dreadful "these countries have missed an opportunity to keep quiet" comment was an eye opener, that Chirac wanted Europe to be his plaything. Now that the whole EU cannot be his plaything, he wants to go with a smaller, albeit more willing, EU to do the trick.

Now, you'll probably think I have always supported such a position all along. After all, I am very favourable to a more integrated EU, and I am all for the emergence of a multipolar world.
But there is a clear difference between my hopes and Chirac's plans. Chirac still wants that individual governments stay in the core of the decision-making, I want this power to be in the hands of a supranational Parliament and Executive, i.e something linked to the European population as a whole, not to the individual rulers.

Chirac's plans to make Europe his plaything will become increqsingly obvious even to the most pro-Europe countries, and they will scar the Union far more than they will unite it further
Old December 18, 2003, 15:06   #123
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Small European solution or Great European solution?
Old December 18, 2003, 18:47   #124
DAVOUT
PtWDG RoleplayCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Local Time: 15:36
Spiffor,

Your opinion of Chirac is wrong in that it overestimates his political views, and consequently the intentions that you guess have no basis, every hypothesis being derived from excessively tiny evidence.

Chirac had no opinion whatsoever about Europe until Maastrich. He then adopted a pro-europe stance when it became clear what the winning side will be. He is not able to make tortuous plans on international politic matters, he is only good at elections, although he looses often. However he has an astonishing quality, he has *la baraka*, which intervened again last year.

And even if I have not a great respect for Chirac long term understanding, I do not believe that he is stupid to the point that he *wanted Europe to be his plaything*
Old December 18, 2003, 19:21   #125
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:36
Quote:
Originally posted by Pekka
France and Germany are like these two bullies at school. Other one is the big fat kid bully, and the other one is the stupid bully who follows around and kisses the big bullies butt, for not to get beat up and to get respect from small normal ones. But what they don't understand is they really don't get any respect. All they get is despice of others. They will end up losers, never leaving the home town, other one misses the reunion because is in jail and drug addict, the other one shows up but gets beaten up and girls who are now turn to succesful women laugh at them and only make out with the normal kids. Even the class nerd tosses the bully around and everyone has a blast. They'll go on and continue their lives, but the bully goes home and cry, then gets angry and 'screw everyone' attitude, goes to biker bar and starts trouble resulting to getting beaten to death with chains and run over by harley davidson.

No one comes to his funeral. He prolly goes to hell too. His only 'friend' might have come if he wasn't being buttraped at the same time in prison.
They let you post from your cell?

P.s. sorry about your buddy.
Old December 18, 2003, 20:11   #126
Ecthy
Emperor

what buddy?
Old December 18, 2003, 20:13   #127
Pekka
Emperor

Local Time: 17:36
you're a boring troll
"God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Last edited by Pekka; December 18, 2003 at 20:18.
Old December 18, 2003, 20:16   #128
Ecthy
Emperor

Someone must have forgotten his medication.
Old December 18, 2003, 20:20   #129
Pekka
Emperor

anything else?
Old December 18, 2003, 21:02   #130
Ecthy
Emperor

Old December 18, 2003, 21:04   #131
Pekka
Emperor

Good. I hope you feel better now.
Old December 18, 2003, 21:37   #132
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally posted by DAVOUT
And even if I have not a great respect for Chirac long term understanding, I do not believe that he is stupid to the point that he *wanted Europe to be his plaything*
I think Chirac wants to see the world become a multipolar place. Maybe that's the gaullist legacy, maybe that's him trying to enter history books before it's too late.

That's why Chirac supports the idea of a "Europe Power", to which many European countries are opposed. When I'm talking about Europe being his plaything, I'm obviously exaggerating: I meant "Europe to be ruled according to this Weltanschauung".