Old December 15, 2003, 09:52   #1
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 14:37
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Apolyton Hall of Fame: December 2003
If anyone wants to vote in the hall, please do it in the following thread: http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=104051

Thank you and good luck!

---
What is it?
The Apolyton Hall of Fame (HoF) is a list of people who contributed a lot to the community here on Apolyton. For example: Xin Yu was inducted in the HoF for his incredible strategy and MP contributions to the Civ2 section, yin26 for his fantastic work on 'The List' with suggestions for Civ3. Every member of the Hall of Fame has made great contributions to Apolyton and the Civilization community - these people and their accomplishments must be remembered by us all!

If you don't recognize many names you probably haven't been here very long and/or hardly ever post outside this forum - in that case this HoF might be a good opportunity to learn something about them. That is why this Hall of Fame was created: to remember and learn.

Periodically, we hold a vote for the Apolytoners who we think contribute the most to Apolyton, the ones who make Apolyton what it is. The winners shall be inducted in the Hall of Fame and their names will live forever in the annals of APOLYTON!

History
The idea for the Hall of Fame was born in late 2000 as an outgrowth of the old Apolyton Army and Apolytoner of the Season Contests, seeking to honor the people of Apolyton in a more meaningful and structured way.

The first edition was held in the Off Topic in December 2000 over a period of 3 days and is currently archived. The first election saw Markos and Dan, the owners and administrators of this site, and the first 10 posters inducted.

Since then, the HoF vote has been held roughly 4 times a year with 11-14 total members being elected every year. Up until August 2002, the vote was held only in the Off Topic forum - from that time on it has been posted in other sections (first in Civ3, later also in SMAC, CtP1-MP, CtP2, etc).

We'll be electing 6 people this time... voting will end on the 28th!
Old December 15, 2003, 19:01   #2
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 00:37
Local Date: November 3, 2010
IMO, all us SLeaguers should try and get Harlan Thompson into the HoF. His pioneering scenarios showed what the civ engine was capable of.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old December 15, 2003, 19:08   #3
fairline
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

I second that. One of my civ heroes

There are a couple of other notable absentees: Stefan Hartel, Techumseh and Allard Hofelt spring to mind...

Last edited by fairline; December 15, 2003 at 19:14.
Old December 15, 2003, 20:44   #4
Panda
Prince

Case: he and Mercator should definately be voted in.
Old December 16, 2003, 05:15   #5
jim panse
King

Local Time: 16:37
I second those proposals! Keep up that good work!
Old December 16, 2003, 06:16   #6
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Panda
Case: he and Mercator should definately be voted in.
I can't believe that I didn't vote for Merc. While Captain Nemo and H Tower definetly deserve inclusion, Mercator deserves it more
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
Old December 16, 2003, 09:24   #7
our_man
Civilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 15:37
Good suggestions all! Unfortunately we can only nominate 3, so I went for:

Captain Nemo
Mercator
Techumseh
Old December 16, 2003, 14:20   #8
curtsibling
staff

I second Our Man's choices:

Captain Nemo
Mercator
Techumseh
H Thompson
Stef Hartel

In recent times:

Fairline
Jim Panse
Case
Catfish
Yaroslav

Old December 16, 2003, 16:56   #9
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by curtsibling
I second Our Man's choices:

Captain Nemo
Mercator
Techumseh
H Thompson
Stef Hartel

In recent times:

Fairline
Jim Panse
Case
Catfish
Yaroslav

I feel honoured, but I think you are a better candidate for that honour than me
Old December 17, 2003, 19:33   #10
Panda
Prince

I did mean to raise this before, but not wishing to demean anyone in any way I held back.

I think that most of us will readily agree that while we have seen some staggering single contributors to the world of civ2, this is the Apolyton Hall of Fame which has transcended just civ.

Thus, when CtP came out Harlan was one of the first people to investigate its suitability for modding, and then became involved in Civ3 when that was released. Similarly Mercator has been involved since the year dot in map-making, programming(!), general helpfulness, and also drops in on the OT.

Another outstanding contributor has been Cam Hills, notable for scenario work, incredible activism with the League, and I should highlight that he was one of only a couple of people here who replied to posts in the Civ2 - Help section before the forum reorganisation.

These are all people whose names are known internationally for their works, and yet we tend to be too focused on the civ2 side and only acknowledge great civ2 contributions. Captain Nemo, Kevin, Stefan, myself (perhaps), Nick, Curt, Gareth, Catfish(!), etc certainly deserve recognition for contributions in civ2 but I would not place them in the 'Poly HOF. They are recognised everyday when we come here to see and discuss their work, and that should be satisfaction enough.

Having said that the OT boys only care about their flavour of the month, so go ahead and disregard my advise if you will: but as Case pointed out, if we just concentrate of the true heroes here there is a better chance they will receive the recognition they richly deserve.
Old December 18, 2003, 02:21   #11
Exile
King

Local Time: 09:37
For what it's worth . . . .
AFAIAC, the "awards" that matter to us, the denizens of the Scenario League, are the SILVER FLEECE AWARDS. I come to ACS only for the League.

The OT and the creatures who frequent that swamp just don't matter to me.

(But Alexander's Horse IS pretty funny most of the time )
"Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.
Old December 18, 2003, 03:28   #12
Case
Emperor

Quote:
Having said that the OT boys only care about their flavour of the month
...and when I checked the other day, all the leading contenders where OT-regulars

Maybe 'poly needs something like a council of elders where the learned can reward the truely deserving
Old December 18, 2003, 11:14   #13
curtsibling
staff

Seeing the community for CIV2 survive in my two favourite civ-sites is reward enough for me.

(although a silver fleece would be nice too - joke)
Old December 18, 2003, 11:24   #14
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Well, someone did nominate you for the silver fleece, so someone hopes you'll get one soon
Old December 18, 2003, 11:35   #15
Mercator
Emperor

The Hall of Fame has mostly been an OT business until these "elections", partly because of that it's not something to be taken too seriously... It's still nice if it actually lives up to its name though.

And as Panda pointed out, it's sometimes difficult to make a distinction between the Civ2 and Apolyton legends.

Quote:
myself (perhaps)
Absolutely! But I'm still getting used to your "new" handle.

Luckily Ming is still an active Civ2 player, so we have a mod on our side.

Thanks for the votes too.
Old December 19, 2003, 09:05   #16
fairline
King

So let me get this straight - while people who have really contributed to civ development like Harlan, Mercator and many others don't seem to warrant inclusion in the Hall of Fame, anybody who posts enough crap in the OT section is lionised as a hero?

Go figure......
Old December 19, 2003, 13:42   #17
DarkCloud
staff
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamSpanish CiversCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamApolyton Storywriters' GuildAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame

Quote:
Maybe 'poly needs something like a council of elders where the learned can reward the truely deserving
We tried to get a veterans committee up last january, but that didn't work very well.

As for all OTers in the Lead:

1. oedo- (50) 75---125 CIV II
2. ixnay- (78) 42---120 CIV III/DEMOGAMES
3. Boris Godunov – (77) 38---115 OT
4. Reismark- (79) 26--105 OT/CIV II
5. DanS- (80) 16---97 OT
6. UnOrthOdOx- (67) 25---92 DEMOGAMES

only one OTer in the top 6 as of now

--
Quote:
So let me get this straight - while people who have really contributed to civ development like Harlan, Mercator and many others don't seem to warrant inclusion in the Hall of Fame, anybody who posts enough crap in the OT section is lionised as a hero?
The OT is the most active section of apoltyon...
Apolyton Hall of Fame has been more for the forum than for out-of-forum achievements (at least how I have seen it) even though it is supposed to be for "community achievements" like the mods, etc. that you have so graciously crafted for the community... The reason that people who post more are elected is because they 'contribute' every day... whereas mods, although they can be played every day- aren't exactly in front of people's faces 24/7 like OT and talkative posters.
Old December 19, 2003, 15:21   #18
Exile
King

Local Time: 09:37
I'm with Gareth on this one.
So what you're essentially saying is that it's not the QUALITY of the "contribution," it's the QUANTITY. Rattle on endlessly about crap in the OT and you're in, huh?

I'll stick with the League. I'm after quality.
"Jesus" avatars created by Mercator and Laszlo.
Old December 19, 2003, 18:27   #19
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
not the QUALITY of the "contribution,"
Pretty much. if someone only does one thing once, no matter how good it is, he's not likely to get in.

But if he's consistently 'there' and 'in your face' then he'll probably eventually make it...
Old December 19, 2003, 21:03   #20
Eivind IV
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

What's OT? Off Topic?

Ave Europa, nostra vera Patria!
Old December 20, 2003, 13:41   #21
DarkCloud
staff

OT= Off Topic.
Old December 21, 2003, 01:04   #22
Case
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkCloud
We tried to get a veterans committee up last january, but that didn't work very well.
OK, fair enough

Quote:
As for all OTers in the Lead:

1. oedo- (50) 75---125 CIV II
2. ixnay- (78) 42---120 CIV III/DEMOGAMES
3. Boris Godunov – (77) 38---115 OT
4. Reismark- (79) 26--105 OT/CIV II
5. DanS- (80) 16---97 OT
6. UnOrthOdOx- (67) 25---92 DEMOGAMES

only one OTer in the top 6 as of now
Are you serious? Ixnay is something of an OT regular, and I'm pretty sure that Oedo spends a lot of time there as well.

I'm not complaining - IMO all the current members of the HoF deserve to be there, for their contributions to the boards if nothing else, it would just be nice if the votes happened to go towards some of the legends of Civ who don't post all that often as others.

*starts creating dozens of Harlan Thompson supporting DLs *
Old December 21, 2003, 10:08   #23
Panda
Prince

I have a cunning plan
Quote:
Originally posted by Mercator
The Hall of Fame has mostly been an OT business until these "elections", partly because of that it's not something to be taken too seriously... It's still nice if it actually lives up to its name though.
Thanks to Darkcloud for effectively expanding the electoral roll this time to On-topic ppl ... I find it shameful that previously only OT ppl have been aware of and participated in the time-limited elections. Result: a high number of inductees from the OT, especially in 2001, who have no enduring legacy.

I'm sure the rest of ACS members like Exile who never bother with OT feel the same.

So here's my plan (can't do it this time as too many votes have been taken already): prepare resumés for our leading nominees (ie Harlan) so their contributions cannot go unnoticed by the "swamp" dwellers, and include cross-posts to the other sections where they've been active, mobilise their votes and our guys are sure to get in.
Old December 21, 2003, 15:51   #24
:) Smiley
Emperor

Local Time: 07:37
The OT Board, while all off-topic, is so large and active as to be as substantial a community as the On Topic boards. Many people eventually migrate to the OT Board. In fact, it can be said that the length of membership of members increases the further down you go (from RoN to Civ3 to Civ2 to OT)
Old December 21, 2003, 17:57   #25
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
So here's my plan (can't do it this time as too many votes have been taken already): prepare resumés for our leading nominees (ie Harlan) so their contributions cannot go unnoticed by the "swamp" dwellers, and include cross-posts to the other sections where they've been active, mobilise their votes and our guys are sure to get in.
Very good plan. I wish you luck with it. I'd vote for Mike Jesczenka if you want to try to get him into the hall at some point... and I'd like to vote for Harlan, but I haven't really had enough contact with him and the stuff he's done to really be able to vote for him. (I make it a policy to only vote for people that I know reasonably well on apolyton.) [Therefore that's why I voted for JohnT, Googlie and korn469]

Quote:
The OT Board, while all off-topic, is so large and active as to be as substantial a community as the On Topic boards. Many people eventually migrate to the OT Board. In fact, it can be said that the length of membership of members increases the further down you go (from RoN to Civ3 to Civ2 to OT)
Very true. People like Imran and Iain Lindley pretty much just stick to the OT nowadays... and they've been at apolyton since the dawn of time
Old December 21, 2003, 18:00   #26
DarkCloud
staff

as a thing of interest, I compiled predictions for next election... these predictions might help you in focusing your campaign for voting:

(Hopefully they display correctly--- I pasted them from excel)

---
NAME / CURRENT VOTES/ MAY VOTES/ DEC VOTES/ PREDICTED VOTES/ PREDICTED TOTAL NEXT ELECTION
notyoueither 90 31 39 45 135
Immortal Wombat 83 25 34 43 126
War4Ever 81 23 31 44 125
JohnT 88 15 31 35 123
UnOrthOdOx 92 35 25 30 122
Scouse Gits 87 26 29 35 122
DarkCloud 84 24 24 24 108
Urban Ranger 74 7 29 33 107
Sprayber 78 13 13 13 91
Spiffor 56 28 29 28 84
alexman 62 7 16 20 82
Master Zen 53 27 26 28 81
Kramsib 45 8 37 35 80
Harlan 42 7 27 35 77
Mleonard 67 12 14 9 76
El Awrence 55 20 20 20 75
korn469 65 11 9 9 74
Alinestra Covelia 58 11 14 16 74
Googlie 57 22 20 15 72
Fez/Giancarlo 62 3 12 8 70
WesW 54 14 16 16 70
Dr. Strangelove 57 18 11 12 69
Catt 58 4 8 8 66
Big Crunch 45 26 19 21 66
Shi Huangdi 51 20 8 2 53
Post Count Zero 44 18 4 4 48
Sten Sture 42 4 4 4 46
Old December 21, 2003, 18:03   #27
DarkCloud
staff

Quote:
Harlan 42 7 27 35 77
Harlan clocks in at 77 total votes if he gets 35 next time... next time I'll probably allow three people to be inducted- so basically, if voting goes as I predict, then a Civ III demogamer, a CTP/OTer and a Civ IIMPer will get in.

However, notyoueither,JohnT, and UnOrthOdOx are currently battling for the #6 position on the ladder right now and if all three of them tie, then you won't have to worry about overcoming their votes and can campaign to the people who would have voted for them.

basically, you should probably try to focus your campaign at the OT veterans who'll remember the scenario designers and civ II... all the civ III people are probably lost to you, except the extreme newbies who can be coerced into voting for vets
Old December 28, 2003, 14:20   #28
DarkCloud
staff

This historic December 2003 Apolyton Hall of Fame vote saw the following new records:
*198 Voters placing 590 votes
*57 New Entrants onto the hall's voting rolls.
*154 Apolytoners receiving votes
*A record 138 votes received for the Top Vote-getter (oedo).
*A record 88 Votes in one session (oedo). [In essence, he was within 22 votes of being elected solely on votes from this round)
* New secondary runner-up award goes to Boris Godunov who managed 51 votes in one round.

*The following were elected:

1. oedo- (50) 88---138
2. Boris Godunov – (77) 51---128
3. ixnay- (78) 42---120
4. Reismark- (79) 26--105
5. UnOrthOdOx- (67) 36---103
6. DanS- (80) 20---101

The Last vote (May 2003 Saw)
*159 Voters placing 418 votes
*150 Apolytoners receiving votes
*110 Total Votes for the Top Vote-Receiver (Trip)
*A then-record 66 Votes in one session for Trip.
*A then-2nd ever most 43 Votes in one session (Zylka)

1. Trip- (45) 66---110
2. DinoDoc- (68) 24---92
3. Paul- (50) 39---89
4. Zylka- (38) 43---81

Last Year's December (2002) Vote saw
*73 Voters placing 140 votes
*59 Votes for the Top Vote-Receiver (Slowwhand)
*A then-record one-round 33 votes in one session (orange)
*A then-2nd ever most 24 votes in one session (Asher)

1 Slowwhand- ------------(37) 22----59
2 Frogger [Krazy Horse]- ------- (37) 17----54
3 Asher- ------(28) 24---52

--
In essence, the hall of fame has exploded in the last year with participation more than doubling!

This participation has come about gradually as the Hall's polling places have expanded across the site.

This expansion was partially due to the amazingly useful "My Threads" feature and suggestions by certain posters.

Hopefully this trend will continue and next vote will see somewhere around 230-250 voters placing votes!

---
Profiles of the Newly Elected
Reismark Founder of the Hodadian Award Central, gifting awards to the best Civ-Sites on the Net and the best Civ II scenarios around! He also runs the Apolyton Fantasy Football Challenge and several other contests in the OT.

oedo Discoverer of the “oedo years,” the discovery “that the period of disorder in Civ 2 for revolutions follows a pattern, and by knowing this pattern, you know when to revolt to eliminate the period of anarchy” oedo is well known and respected in the Civ II-Strategy community for this discovery that taught those of us who “thought we knew civ” that there was more to it than we “thought we knew.”

ixnay Humorous poster; Participant in the Civ II Democracy Game, he’s a real whiz with photoshop and graphics; and happens to be the Rise of Nation’s content editor... and is an Apolyton Staff member.

Boris Godunov Friendly OT debater. Much loved.

UnOrthOdOx For his work on the "Jungle Gazette" and other Democracy game publications... as well as his work on the democracy games themselves.

DanS OT Poster and debater. Economist.