Old December 18, 2003, 12:26   #181
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 16:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Theben

You'd have to not have read the books and be uber-girly to think the ending is a handkerchief moment. As you're from Sweden, you've got about a 50-50 chance.
Heh, heh! Well, seems the thought never crossed your mind that I could be female?

Still, GhengisFarb's comment isn't exactly reassuring, is it?

Carolus
Old December 18, 2003, 12:30   #182
gunkulator
Prince

Local Time: 09:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
Well he's killed before they reach the shire.
Nope, not in the book. He's killed in the Shire by Grima.
Old December 18, 2003, 12:33   #183
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 10:38
Yeah, come to think of it, the ending was pretty weak. The Scouring would have been a lot better - and it could have been shortened significantly. It could have been done in 15 minutes or so. Oh well.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 18, 2003, 12:35   #184
GhengisFarb™
lifer
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG Glory of WarCivilization II Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCiv4 SP Democracy Game
Deity

Local Time: 08:38
Quote:
Originally posted by gunkulator
What battle is that?
They said they cut that scene in editing because the movie was too long and they needed to cut some of the footage. Don't exactly know what it is as it sounds like they may have added some of their own concepts.

Yes the last 45 minutes are goodbyes, goodbyes again, and oh did we forget to say goodbyes. Goodbye..........

Goodbye, again.
Old December 18, 2003, 13:02   #185
Traianvs
BtS Tri-League
King

They should explain Denethor's madness..
I think for people who haven't read the book, it must be pretty pointless and stupid. Denethor has watched into the palantir stone, of course, and that should be added..

Also the scene in which pip or mer is struggling with the palantir: poorly done! not very convincing, and it looks a bit ridiculous as well... He should go crazy, but not like this, anyway not by holding a flaming stone in his hand!!
Old December 18, 2003, 13:24   #186
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

he's not killed in the shire, rather in Eregion
Old December 18, 2003, 13:25   #187
Kaak
Civilization II Multiplayer
King

Local Time: 08:38
Well, i consider myself one of the lucky ones to be able to sit through the entire trilogy (with the extended edition versions of FOTR and TTT) and 13 hours of popcorn eating madness in the theatre.

Return of the King started at 10 pm on tuesday. Wow. The battle scenes were incredible. The sheer scale was amazing. Overall it was a great movie. I agree with others, you have to appreciate it independantly of the book. I'll probably go watch it about 12 more times in the theatre

"I thought you must be dead ..." he said simply. "So did I for a while," said Ford, "and then I decided I was a lemon for a couple of weeks. A kept myself amused all that time jumping in and out of a gin and tonic."
Old December 18, 2003, 14:01   #188
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Trajanus
They should explain Denethor's madness..
I think for people who haven't read the book, it must be pretty pointless and stupid. Denethor has watched into the palantir stone, of course, and that should be added..
I rationalized his madness as a result of losing Boromir and his lands all at the same time. Everything was basically just falling apart. But if it was a peek into the Palantir, then it would make more sense. Wish that had been there.
Old December 18, 2003, 14:02   #189
Ecthy
Emperor

way to go
Old December 18, 2003, 14:16   #190
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

I'm pretty sure Saruman is indeed killed in the shire. The reason I'm pretty sure of it is that Wormtongue is then immediately cut down by arrows fired by... hobbits, before Merry/Pippin/Sam/Frodo can stop them.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 18, 2003, 14:30   #191
David Floyd
Emperor

Local Time: 14:38
No, Saruman is stabbed in the Shire by Grima, after he is thrown out of Bag End.
Old December 18, 2003, 15:04   #192
Ecthy
Emperor

ah, so it's Eregion where they overtake Saruman and Wormtongue then...
Old December 18, 2003, 15:24   #193
David Floyd
Emperor

Come on, I thought you knew EVERYTHING?
Old December 18, 2003, 16:02   #194
Ned
King

Local Time: 06:38
Just reading these posts makes it clear that people who have not read the books enjoyed the movie a lot more that people who did.

And yes, tears did well up in my eyes several times at the end. I really enjoyed the part where the new King bows to the four Hobbits and is joined by the assembled multitude.

Perhaps a full retelling of the book would have been better. But this movie was great as it was.
Old December 18, 2003, 16:23   #195
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by hexagonian
The one thing that did bother me about Denethor is that in the book, he had one of the palantir, and it was the fact that he saw the plans that Sauron had for the West that ultimately drove him to madness. IMO, that would of worked more believability into his madness, rather than simply using Jackson's (over)-emphasis on the favored son issue and grief over Boromir that he had.
Perhaps it will be in the EE. He did mention to Gandolf that he knew more then Gandolf thought he did. So perhaps it will be explained in the EE. Maybe not.

Thanks for the explaination of the shire thing. Ive read up on it. It seems to me it was best left out of the context of the movie. I have heard some say they hate and some say they liked it. I guess I'll see when I read the books. But for the context of the movie, it was best left out. If they had done it and only done a little then a lot of people would be complaining and rightly so. It sounds like that would have took a lot more than just a few scenes to do well.
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old December 18, 2003, 16:43   #196
lord of the mark
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Just reading these posts makes it clear that people who have not read the books enjoyed the movie a lot more that people who did.

And yes, tears did well up in my eyes several times at the end. I really enjoyed the part where the new King bows to the four Hobbits and is joined by the assembled multitude.

well thats actually quite moving in the book.
Old December 18, 2003, 17:52   #197
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
I like it (Scouring...), but it probably would of not worked in the movie - given that the audience is a lot wider than just people who have read Tolkien 10-15 times (or even more) in their lives.
I liked it, and only read Tokien once (once was enough .. it was good, but not something I'd read again soon, you know?).
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 18, 2003, 19:04   #198
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Wife and I took the day off today, and we arranged seeing an early (11am) matinee. There was a virtually empty theatre, which we were pretty pleased about...

Film was great. I was actually pretty prepared for a very slow initial pace (due to a few negative comments I'd heard,) but the films pacing was actually very good. It had just so much great stuff packed into it... two or three movies worth it seemed like. The end was a little awkward, but it would have been a travesty to the story, to end the film at Aragorns coronation, or the undoing of the Ring.

I was most moved and exhilerated, by the speech of King Theodin and charge of the Rohirrim, at Minas Tirith, although there were plenty more moving moments.

I can't wait for the final DVD to be released in its extended version, as the films are actually one story, and should be enjoyed as such, and a film of this length is really only viable on DVD (although seeing it on the big screen is nice.)

They are certainly the best, and really only true epic story in celluloid. I think it took some astonishing bravery for a studio to extend themselves in allowing this production of the 3 acts of the movies to happen simultaneously, without knowing its commercial viability. It guaranteed a consistant look, and quality. I can't remember any other film trilogy where all three parts were critically and commercially acclaimed.

98/100, as a cinema experience, and the best cinema experience I've ever had.
Old December 18, 2003, 19:27   #199
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

23 hours from now I'll be watching it.

I can hardly wait.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old December 18, 2003, 20:12   #200
Bereta_Eder
Settler

I found it a bit boring.
But still worth its money

And the clue of the evening came from a girl of our company:

HOBBITS ARE GAY!

Anyway, pretty good

7/10
Old December 18, 2003, 21:12   #201
Boris Godunov
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 07:38
From a recent review:

"Here, in scenes of quiet emotion, devastating violence, sweeping chaos and tranquil hope,is a profound conclusion to an unforgettable trilogy–the best American trilogy ever made."

American?
Old December 18, 2003, 21:14   #202
Drake Tungsten
Deity

It was paid for by an American studio.
Old December 18, 2003, 21:35   #203
DanS
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Deity

Yep. That's the way these things are scored.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old December 18, 2003, 21:51   #204
Ecthy
Emperor

Where the money comes from is important, not where the pictures are shot.
Old December 19, 2003, 03:34   #205
Sprayber
Apolyton Storywriters' Guild
Emperor

Actually, its more where the money goes
Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh
Old December 19, 2003, 03:44   #206
DanS
Deity

Well, it's going down the AOL toilet.
I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891
Old December 19, 2003, 04:16   #207
Carolus Rex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by GhengisFarb

Yes the last 45 minutes are goodbyes, goodbyes again, and oh did we forget to say goodbyes. Goodbye..........

Goodbye, again.
No, no, no... I won't like that...

Like -Jrabbit, though, I can't wait! I'm in Geneva now and I don't want to see it here... The French version is of course completely out of the question , leaving the Version Original with French and German subtitles covering the lower part of the screen...

They also have something called entreact here, which is a pause in the middle of the film (although you can choose theaters which don't have it)... Somehow, they always manage to pause in the best parts...

Nope, it's back to Sweden for Christmas to really enjoy it! Drooling already...

Carolus
Old December 19, 2003, 04:19   #208
DanS
Deity

The "entreact" is simply "intermission" in English. I don't think any American theaters have an intermission for ROTK.
Old December 19, 2003, 04:43   #209
Carolus Rex
Emperor

Normally, we don't have that in Sweden either, but sometimes (if the film is really long) they do pause. I sure hope they don't!

BTW, the Danish queen did indeed illustrate Tolkien in the 1970's (under a pseudonym). Apparently, that's why Peter Jackson decided to go to the Danish première with some of the actors.

Carolus
Old December 19, 2003, 04:50   #210
Carolus Rex
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Carolus Rex

I'm in Geneva now and I don't want to see it here... The French version is of course completely out of the question , leaving the Version Original with French and German subtitles covering the lower part of the screen...
About not seeing the French version: I'm referring to the first time. I saw the Fellowship of the Ring 5 times in theaters: twice in Sweden and three times in Geneva IIRC, two of which in French.

The Two Towers I only saw twice, both in Sweden... I didn't like it as much as the Fellowship... Too, yes you guess correctly, sentimental...

Carolus