Old December 19, 2003, 05:02   #211
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 07:38
Local Date: November 2, 2010
damn work. I'll have to wait a few more days before I can see this movie.
Old December 19, 2003, 09:07   #212
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Local Time: 14:38
Quote:
Originally posted by DanS
The "entreact" is simply "intermission" in English. I don't think any American theaters have an intermission for ROTK.
Well, the IMAX version might, considering that theres a 2hr limit on reels.
Old December 19, 2003, 10:55   #213
ajbera
Prince

Took the day off from work (from a new job, no less) to see it, and it was well worth the wait (and I'm certain the Extended Edition DVD will also be well worth the wait). A few criticisms - some parts felt dragged out, others felt rushed or not fleshed out sufficiently, but since I consider the EE DVDs to be the definitive version (Jackson's opinions notwithstanding), I'm sure any flow/characterization issues will be smoothed out with their release.

I also regret not seeing Saruman's fate (will be in the EE) or the Scouring of the Shire (one of my fave parts of the books), but I understand Jackson's reasons behind each decision. He did a more than admirable job with a daunting challenge, and I'm a much happier person for having the privelege of seeing his vision brought to the screen.

<Possible Spoilers>

Two moments that brought a lump to my throat:

1) The gathering of the Rohirrim on the edge of Pellenor Field, Theoden's speech, and the charge...

2) Pippin singing that mournful Shire song to Denethor as the Steward stuffs his face, intercut with Faramir and the Gondorians riding to retake Osgiliath... so beautiful and sad I almost wept.

Wonderful, spectacular, superb... hyperbole fails miserably to express my joy. Go see this film.
Old December 19, 2003, 11:08   #214
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 09:38
Quote:
Originally posted by ajbera
2) Pippin singing that mournful Shire song to Denethor as the Steward stuffs his face, intercut with Faramir and the Gondorians riding to retake Osgiliath... so beautiful and sad I almost wept.
AGREED!!!...it was the best emotional sequence in the movie - and next to the fall of Gandalf in Moria, the best from all three of the movies.

Best understated visual
The lighting of all the watchtowers. Beautiful cinematography...
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old December 19, 2003, 11:11   #215
East Street Trader
Prince

It is indeed superb.

A contender with few others for the finest film ever made, I should say.

I do not think I have ever gone straight back to see a film a second time when it first appears. But I certainly will with this one.

I have no fault to find with it. And several things - the young actor's performance as Frodo among them - are at the topmost peak of excellence.

In the book the characters are always subservient to the plot - not quite two dimentional but close to it. Not so in the film. No one could fail to be moved by Theoden's death and by the parting of Sam and Frodo.

I am full of admiration for the director and for the skills of those involved in wardrobe, casting, location and so on.

They must be proud indeed of what they have made.
Old December 19, 2003, 11:25   #216
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 16:38
Quote:
Originally posted by hexagonian

the fall of Gandalf in Moria
That's indeed a great emotional moment that isn't overly sentimental...

Carolus
Old December 19, 2003, 11:31   #217
Theben
Deity

Local Time: 10:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Carolus Rex
Heh, heh! Well, seems the thought never crossed your mind that I could be female?

Still, GhengisFarb's comment isn't exactly reassuring, is it?

Carolus
R you a female?

Quote:
Two moments that brought a lump to my throat:

1) The gathering of the Rohirrim on the edge of Pellenor Field, Theoden's speech, and the charge...
That irritated me a little, b/c that was Eomer's speech when he came across the 'corpse' of Eowyn.

Quote:
I also think they should've mentioned Denethor's madness was due to his having a palantir...I'm pretty sure that will be in the EV.

The main thing that bothered me was Frodo never losing that worried look he carried thruout all 3 films. I thought at least he would've had 2 times that his will shown through: after wrestling with Gollum, and when he is at the Crack of Doom.

Ah, well. Still a great film.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old December 19, 2003, 11:48   #218
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
That irritated me a little, b/c that was Eomer's speech when he came across the 'corpse' of Eowyn.
Heh, you purist you. At least Eowyn's fight with the Witchking was done right. That was solid.

I agree about the charge of the Rohirrim. Lump in throat + shivers. Awesome.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 19, 2003, 11:49   #219
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

My favorite line:

"We cannot defeat Mordor through force of arms."
"No, we cannot. But we will meet them in battle nonetheless."

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 19, 2003, 12:13   #220
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian

Heh, you purist you. At least Eowyn's fight with the Witchking was done right. That was solid.
I don't remember exactly why right now, but some Swedish journal mentioned it wasn't exactly as in the book...

BTW, apparently there's a major mistake in the Swedish translation of the books concerning that part (I've only read them in English; just started reading them in Swedish).

The translator confuses the pronomina "he"/"she" and "his"/"her" so that it's actually Merry (IIRC) who ends up killing the Nazgül king...

Something for Theban to ponder during the holidays (in addition to whether I'm male or female)!

I'm going home tomorrow; in a couple of days I'll see the movie! Who-ho!!!

Merry Christmas everyone,

Carolus
Old December 19, 2003, 12:19   #221
Arrian
Deity

Merry is involved, in both the movie and the book. Same way, too. The battle between Eowyn & Merry and the Witchking is damn near exactly the same in the movie as it is in the book. I think Eowyn's line(s) might be slightly changed, but that's it.

-Arrian

Old December 19, 2003, 12:22   #222
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Maybe I am too purist. But I let a lot of other things slide.

And yes the fight was solid, right down to where her shield is smashed and arm paralyzed (and broken!). Too bad that didn't last longer!

And I would think that someone with the moniker 'Rex' wouldn't be a woman.
I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned
Old December 19, 2003, 12:24   #223
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Merry is involved, in both the movie and the book. Same way, too. The battle between Eowyn & Merry and the Witchking is damn near exactly the same in the movie as it is in the book. I think Eowyn's line(s) might be slightly changed, but that's it.

-Arrian
She doesn't say, "I am a woman." That, IIRC, is the only difference.
Old December 19, 2003, 12:25   #224
Arrian
Deity

Yeah, the missing "Halls of Healing" is one of the main reasons I think the movie felt rushed. It went from Pelennor fields to the Black Gate in what felt like a blink of an eye.

To be fair, I'm somewhat of a purist myself, just maybe less so that you. You remind me a bit of my friend Tom, with whom I will be seeing RotK again tomorrow.

EDIT: crosspost. I think he also cut out a line from the book:

"You stand between me and my kinsman. Do what you will, but I will hinder you if I may."

IIRC, that was replaced by something like "leave him alone." Whatever.

-Arrian

Old December 19, 2003, 12:48   #225
Theben
Deity

And When The Witch-King says, "Do not get between a Nazgul and its prey," they left out where it says, "or else we'll carry you to Minas Morgul and give you a wedgie," or something.
Old December 19, 2003, 12:54   #226
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Yes, Tolkein's use of the wedgie as metaphor is legendary.

Still 4 hours, 40 minutes until my viewing...

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old December 19, 2003, 13:10   #227
Theben
Deity

I missed the scene where the armies of good slaughtered the armies of furries...
Old December 19, 2003, 13:15   #228
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Gawd, I hope thats on RotK:EE

Die, furries, DIE!
Old December 19, 2003, 22:41   #229
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Doesn't Frodo don a leopard suit at the Cracks of Doom and ask Sam to yiff him, like in the books?

Last edited by Drake Tungsten; December 20, 2003 at 00:06.
Old December 19, 2003, 23:49   #230
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Great movie, saw it a little while ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Apparently one of the orcs took my sister to her senior prom (didn't need a costume) not sure which battle he was in. (must be nice to study abroad in NZ and hear they are looking for extras)
Old December 20, 2003, 00:03   #231
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 15:38
Quote:
Originally posted by Sprayber
Perhaps it will be in the EE. He did mention to Gandolf that he knew more then Gandalf thought he did. So perhaps it will be explained in the EE. Maybe not.
I think we will see something of it in the EE. That brief mention was a hint to the book-fans that Jackson hadn't forgotten it, and like Hex says, it'll only take 45 seconds or so. I hope so anyway.

The film is awesome. I have to see it again to even begin to critique it.
Old December 20, 2003, 00:38   #232
Theben
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by asleepathewheel
Great movie, saw it a little while ago. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Apparently one of the orcs took my sister to her senior prom (didn't need a costume) not sure which battle he was in. (must be nice to study abroad in NZ and hear they are looking for extras)
Jeez, your sister must be desperate if she'll date someone who looks like an orc.
Old December 20, 2003, 01:51   #233
Zero
PtWDG Glory of WarInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamACDG The Human HiveC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG3 SpartansPtWDG2 Monkey
King

Quote:
My favorite line:

"We cannot defeat Mordor through force of arms."
"No, we cannot. But we will meet them in battle nonetheless."

-Arrian
doesnt beat what the dwarf said about the last battle.

I liked this one alot. Thats saying alot cause i found first one terrible and second mediocre. So there... I hope I made all the fanboys happy.

There are some things I didnt like about this movie tho, but I don wanna start nitpicking everything... but one thing I want to mention: The "ending/epilogue" was so friggin long. When I went to watch it, People cheered so loudly when "the end" screen came out not because it was just a good movie but because they were glad it was over. I remember approximately 4-5 loud "Awwwwww" from the audience as epilogue went to new scene after scene. It was late and we were getting tired....

Audience was getting so bored and tired by the time we got to epilogue that everyone started laughing at hint of gay reference in the movie. Esp with the hobbit's and all the friendship scenes... if ur mind is tired bored and twisted because of it.... you'll know what i mean...
Old December 20, 2003, 02:15   #234
yavoon
Warlord

return of the king rocked

in order of whoopassness

3-1-2.

k!
Old December 20, 2003, 10:11   #235
Donegeal
PtWDG Glory of WarC4DG VoxApolyCon 06 ParticipantsC4BtSDG TemplarsSpore
Emperor

Funniest line in the movie:

Quote:
Originally spoken by Gimli
That still only counts as ONE!!!
Got the hole theater laughing out loud with that one.
Old December 20, 2003, 10:49   #236
Q Classic
Emperor

gandalf kicks ass in that movie. so does legolas, even though hsi antics still only count as one.

they did a good job with it. i can't wait till the extended version comes out, when she and i can watch it at home on our couch and make our own intermissions. especially if you're feeling under the weather, ilke i was.
Old December 20, 2003, 11:19   #237
BeBro
Emperor

Saw it yesterday Although I agree that the "goodbye" scenes were a bit too much I think overall it was a great movie, and a great final part for the trilogy

Quote:
Originally posted by donegeal
Funniest line in the movie:

Quote:
Originally spoken by Gimli
That still only counts as ONE!!!
Got the hole theater laughing out loud with that one.
Yeah, indeed
Old December 21, 2003, 10:58   #238
Rufus T. Firefly
King

Just saw it. Yes, it's majestic, epic, etc. Yes, it's lovely to look at. Yes, as rip-offs of the St. Crispian's Day speech go, the one in this film is pretty fine. But...

The pacing is a very uneven; some things drag on forever (the goodbyes most notably) while others are over way too quickly, given their buildup (especially the fight with the head Ringwraith guy).

And, as someone who doesn't remember the book (and never got through it anyway), I find several things are annoyingly unexplained, like the arrival of the eagles (deus ex aerie?) and those matching cloak-clasps. And, for that matter, pretty much everything about Cate Blanchett's character (Galadriel?).

Add to this that Elijah Wood actually vies with Keanu Reeves for the coveted title of "Most Wooden Actor to Have a Trilogy Built Around Him" (yes, they both beat out Mark Hamill) and you know what? It was great. But Master and Commander was better.
Old December 21, 2003, 21:43   #239
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

After Frodo awakens from his stupor after the Ring's destruction, and each of the remaining members walk into the room one by one, Samwise got the most applause.

He definately kicked it in the end.
Old December 21, 2003, 21:49   #240
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Quote:
The pacing is a very uneven; some things drag on forever (the goodbyes most notably) while others are over way too quickly, given their buildup (especially the fight with the head Ringwraith guy).
I've heard this a lot about the movie. They don't pause when they should (Sam's dilemma and saving Frodo, etc.) and pause too much when they shouldn't (ending). Some people have said it was very patchwork.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)