Old December 15, 2003, 20:23   #1
oedo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 15:39
Local Date: November 2, 2010
what´s your earliest memory?
for me it was my third birthday. I sat in front of the table in our living room. there was a toy train, a teddy bear and chocolate (cat tongues) on the table. my father sat on the opposite, my mother was left to me. no idea, where my brother was. I still remember my father saying "and now you´re three".
this is nothing really special, but I don´t have any memory before this moment. and this is what I find special about this moment.

I´m curious what moments you remember. maybe it´s your first day at school, your first steps, your first spoken words or even your birth (well, probably not)? was it a real event or was it just a dream? please share your memories with us.
Old December 15, 2003, 20:27   #2
The Andy-Man
Prince

Local Time: 14:39
I remember I a big ugly man in a surgical mask, shouting; 'IT'S A GIRL!... I mean a boy...'

I have never got over that moment, and now on the weekend I go by the name Mandy to help me deal with it
Old December 15, 2003, 20:30   #3
Thorn
Prince

Local Time: 10:39
spitting out baby food.
Old December 15, 2003, 20:35   #4
Oncle Boris
Mac
Emperor

Masturbating with my "teddy bear".

Older and slacker girls prefer "beer bottles". But that's becoming grievous...
Old December 15, 2003, 20:41   #5
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 16:39
I couldn't exactly speak about my first memory, because I don't know which of my early memories came first.

One of my first memories was a 'pal' in kindergarten (actually, I hated him) that was always saying "no" to whatever we told him. Still in Kindergarten, I remember crying when forced to go take a nap, and I remember recieving a friendly slap on the butt from a janitor who was amused I dropped the pants wholly when pissing in the urinal.

But the most precise early memories I have date back from Christman, when I was 4 (I think, but maybe I was 3), as I played with Majorettes, and as I was barred from watching Star Wars because it was broadcasted too late for me.
Old December 15, 2003, 20:45   #6
Thorn
Prince

You know I bet that food was poisen too.
Old December 15, 2003, 20:47   #7
Spec
Emperor

Ummmmm, The farthest I can remember, I think, is when I was 2 years old. I was running up the stairs to answer the phone before my sister did. I lost the race cuz she could climb 2 stairs at a time....

Spec.
Old December 15, 2003, 21:08   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 09:39
i was 3, sister 2, i beat her over the head with a small rubber bat that squeaked.

heh.
Old December 15, 2003, 21:16   #9
Japher
Emperor

no idea. I think it is either

a) The cool cast iron railing at my folks house, I was 4 when we moved, I remember it because I would stand on it.

b) Falling off the jungle gym and landing on my head... I don't think that had any affect on me
Old December 15, 2003, 21:35   #10
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Thorn
You know I bet that food was poisen too.
that would explain a lot.

Mine was when I was on a cruise to Bermuda with my parents and grandparents when I was 3...the only out of the country trip we've ever taken together. They were going to the bar (even though my parents don't drink... ) and left me in the children's room (a daycare with a nanny) and I cried my eyes out. I remember something about something along the way that looked like a miniature movie theatre on the side of the walkway, where people were sitting. I'm really not sure what it is, or what the signifigance of that memory is. I remember crying a lot and popping a balloon that the nanny gave me. I was not a happy camper.

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old December 15, 2003, 21:54   #11
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

I don't know which of these are the earliest, or even which where not merely figments of my imagination.

1) Driving down the high-way with a load of stuff on the car roof and everything falling off and scattering across the road. I seem to remember this in third person, though, so it may of been a dream. But a real old one.

2) Nap time in daycare where we all started showing each others our selves.

3) Also in daycare someone drinking their own pee. Puting a bunch of 4 year olds together provides great learning experiences.

Do It Ourselves
Old December 15, 2003, 23:14   #12
Sikander
King

Local Time: 07:39
My first memory was from the time I was about 1 year old. I was in the kitchen of my grandmother's house sitting in a high chair and being fed lunch. My grandmother and my mother were talking and I didn't really understand much english yet. I was bored and saw the cookie jar on top of the refrigerator and asked my mom for a cookie. She came over and told me that I hadn't touched my food, and I couldn't have a cookie until I ate something. I played around with my food and messed it up and asked again a few minutes later. I got the cookie then.

Old December 15, 2003, 23:28   #13
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 11:39
Re: what's your first memory?
glub glub!

Old December 16, 2003, 02:08   #14
aaglo
King

Local Time: 17:39
I don't remember how old I was, but It must have been before or around my 3rd birthday:
- I was supposed to be sleeping in my bed (which was in the living room at that time). My mom and dad were watching the original version of King Kong from the tv, and naturally this was not allowed for me to do - but still I did watch it! This was around 1975...

So, my first memory is related with the movie King Kong from 1933...
Old December 16, 2003, 02:55   #15
DaShi
Emperor

Disappointment.
Old December 16, 2003, 03:07   #16
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Also in daycare someone drinking their own pee.
Canaaaaaaaaaadians

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old December 16, 2003, 03:35   #17
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 07:39
my memory sucks.

I remember when I was riding my bike and one of my training wheels fell off. Nobody would put it back on for me . I guess this was a good thing as I learned to ride with three wheels, and before long I took the other wheel off.

Of course I was still a neglected child, but that's another story.

I also remember when it snowed. I was probably 5 at the time. It rarely snows on the east side of town where I lived at the time. In fact I don't think it has snowed and stuck since that time 25 years ago.
Old December 16, 2003, 04:38   #18
Enigma_Nova
C4DG The Mercenary Team
Emperor

Local Time: 00:39
Local Date: November 3, 2010
My first internal memory is of myself inventing the concept of 'it', the singular object identifier.
(probably closer to the mathematical symbol 'There Exists')
In my prenatal mind developing logic.

My factual and internal memory is working well.
My episodic/experential memory is almost ruined, and I am unable to recall any past experiences.
I remember such things factually, so it works out. That's why I remember the lessons I learn (in fact form) but not the means by which I am taught.
Old December 16, 2003, 05:21   #19
Harovan
staff
PtWDG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Monty PythonC4DG Gathering Storm
Civ4: Colonization Content Editor

The first real memories I have from the age of three. However, I remember a single picture from significantly earlier, the picture of a bright, glowing light, but I don't know what it is. My parents think it was the candle at my first birthday. They said, it had scared me to death, I begun to cry and to kick and they weren't able to appease me until they doused it. Sounds logical, although I am not entirely sure.
Old December 16, 2003, 06:12   #20
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

My first memory must go back to when I was less than a year old. Somehow I got out of my cot and was crawling round on the floor. It was a linoleum floor and I still distinctly remember how cold it was.

Nothing else for about another three years after that.
Old December 16, 2003, 06:59   #21
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

I was 3 and remember the news about the Chernobyl disaster. The footage shot by the soviet helicopter looked so cool, that it is the first thing I remeber.

- Paul Valery
Old December 16, 2003, 07:03   #22
Kramerman
Prince

Local Time: 08:39
i have assorted memories from age 2, but i dunno which is oldest. Some include my trip to disney land, and another is sticking blow pops in the snow and then eating the flavored ice that stuck to them.... snow angles, and snow ball fights. come to think of it, lots of snow memories... and sand box memories too. memories of my house, crawling out of my crib that i used forever, memories of my daycare where i was beat (seriously), memories of my tricycle, memories of trying to figure out how my toy parascope worked, and many more memories too

i like the nation flag, laurentius
Old December 16, 2003, 07:30   #23
Mr. Harley
Prince

My oldest memory was when I was five, we had this cream colored Pomeranian (with a foxy type face, not that the flattened face they've had sincer the AKC ruined the breed) named Fluffy-Ruffles. I wanted her to learn how to jump from the couch like our other dog, but she was too scared.

I was told not to, but did it anyway (I don't remember but I must have waited till my parents weren't watching). I pushed her lightly, she fell badly, and broke her foot. She made that screaming noise a badly hurt dog makes, and my parents intervened.

I was told they would have to destroy her. I was in tears. The first ankle surgery for little dogs had been introduced, and they were able to save her (thinking back it must have cost months of our spare cash, things were hideously tight for us then). I cherished that little dog until I was in high school, and when she had a massive stroke (total paralysis of half the body, loss of bladder/bowel control), rather than take her to the vets where she was always scared to have a stranger put her down, I held her in my lap feeding her a hefty overdose of benedryl in cheese food. I held her on my lap, in a towel, till her heart stopped and then I buried her. I still smile when I think of her, she was not a bright dog, but she adored me.
Mr. Harley: I'm afraid my people haven't. I'm very sorry… I wish it were otherwise.
Old December 16, 2003, 07:53   #24
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Earliest memory? My memory is pretty bad, so I don't know if this is my earliest memory or where in the timeline of my memories it is:

Me and my family was celebrating christmas by some family up in the middle of Denmark, and I remember they had a dog, which I was scared of, even though it was a pretty small dog, but it kept barking loud. I believe I haven't been visiting them since then (We haven't talked to them much since), but I also believe I'll still be able to find around the house (We stayed there for a week)... I also remember what I got for christmas... some of it at least...
Old December 16, 2003, 07:56   #25
TheStinger
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

They are all around me being 3.

Being attacked by next doors cat

Getting into serious bother for putting my new born baby brother in the back of my tricycle and then setting off round the garden.

Dismantling a lamp post- they caused trouble aswell
Old December 16, 2003, 10:11   #26
Whaleboy
NationStatesAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessMac
Prince

When I was about two, walking with my mum in the park near my old house.

Next was the birth of my brother, when I was about 2 and a half years.
Old December 16, 2003, 10:16   #27
Stuie
King

My earliest memory is from when I was two; we were picking my grandparents up at a hotel. I asked my mom about it years later and described the whole scene, and she confirmed that it happened as I described. It's weird, because my grandfather died later that same year, so it's the only memory I have of him.
Old December 17, 2003, 08:06   #28
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 08:39
Quote:
My first internal memory is of myself inventing the concept of 'it', the singular object identifier.
(probably closer to the mathematical symbol 'There Exists')
In my prenatal mind developing logic.

My factual and internal memory is working well.
My episodic/experential memory is almost ruined, and I am unable to recall any past experiences.
I remember such things factually, so it works out. That's why I remember the lessons I learn (in fact form) but not the means by which I am taught.
You are full of ****.

-theonion.com
Old December 17, 2003, 08:42   #29
Solly
Emperor

I don't remember anything ofmy old house, and we moved when I was two, so some time after that.

I remember playschool (2 - 3 years old I think) and gluing things, I remember the dodgy plastic spatula things we used to glue stuff. And being scared of the hole underneath the stage.