Old December 17, 2003, 23:18   #181
chequita guevara
ACDG The Human HiveDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 10:41
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Which is it, Che, the segregationists or the Christians who control the party - or, is it your contention that the Christians are segregationists?
Why do you think the two have to be different. Segregationists twisted the church to support their institutions. They haven't changed all that much down here.

Quote:
The truth is that there are no more segregationists. That issue is settled as is slavery.
Only legally, Ned, only legally. They're still segregationists in their heart. Look at the color of the Republican leadership.
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 17, 2003, 23:19   #182
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:41
Quote:
Originally posted by chegitz guevara
I know that, you know that, but my heart doesn't know that. It still loves America and wants what's best for the country, and it's dying cuz these theives have kidnapped it and are raping it to death.
Face it...you are a weak fellow traveler. We will purge you with the Menshaviks and Social Revolutionaries.
Old December 17, 2003, 23:23   #183
Ned
King

Local Time: 06:41
Dr. Strangelove, it is amazing the reaction that Dred Scott caused. It litteraly galvanized the Republican party and their aggressiveness to end slavery caused the revolt.

I wonder if the Supremes are still concerned never to repeat what they did then. Roe v. Wade and Bush v. Gore came close. Both cases invoked enormous passion in the people who felt betrayed by the decisions. Roe v. Wade has again propelled the Republican party in a great moral crusade and is one of the issues that has made it the majority party in the US.
Old December 17, 2003, 23:24   #184
Q Classic
Emperor

Local Time: 09:41
i find that it's nice to keep balance.

i read "dude, where's my country" concurrently with "treason".
Old December 17, 2003, 23:25   #185
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:41
I use them for firewood. Doesn't work good though.
Old December 17, 2003, 23:26   #186
Ned
King

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
Which is it, Che, the segregationists or the Christians who control the party - or, is it your contention that the Christians are segregationists?
Why do you think the two have to be different. Segregationists twisted the church to support their institutions. They haven't changed all that much down here.

Quote:
The truth is that there are no more segregationists. That issue is settled as is slavery.
Only legally, Ned, only legally. They're still segregationists in their heart. Look at the color of the Republican leadership.
I see a lot of black people in the Republican leadership, Che. Republicans have gone out of their way to appoint blacks to positions of serious responsibility - a lot more so than any Democrat regime in history.
Old December 17, 2003, 23:30   #187
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 16:41
Quote:
Originally posted by Q Cubed
i read "dude, where's my country" concurrently with "treason".
DId the American left manage to produce such an intense crap that Treason balances it ?
Old December 17, 2003, 23:31   #188
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Spiffor

DId the American left manage to produce such an intense crap that Treason balances it ?
He just answered that question.
Old December 17, 2003, 23:33   #189
Spiffor
Civilization III Democracy GamePtWDG LegolandApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 16:41
Quote:
Originally posted by DinoDoc
He just answered that question.
Yes, but I cannot possibly believe this answer :cries:
Old December 17, 2003, 23:39   #190
Patroklos
Emperor

Local Time: 14:41
You know, most of the southerners I know, black and white, get along wonderfully and we really just sit back and laugh at the rest of the country for somhow believing that attributing racism to our geographic region is anything but projecting the problems of where they live on us.

-Pat
Old December 17, 2003, 23:43   #191
Ned
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Patroklos
You know, most of the southerners I know, black and white, get along wonderfully and we really just sit back and laugh at the rest of the country for somhow believing that attributing racism to our geographic region is anything but projecting the problems of where they live on us.

-Pat
Pat, I don't live in the South, but I am not surprised at this.

Still, that Flag is not a symbol just of military prowess or of Southern Heritage without more. Everyone knows what it symbolizes.
Old December 17, 2003, 23:46   #192
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by TCO

No.

Old December 17, 2003, 23:51   #193
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:

In the last month I've read, Bushwhacked, Big Lies: The Right-Wing Propaganda Machine and How It Distorts the Truth, and Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them. Now I'm reading The Great Unraveling. I'm surper pissed about the whackjobs who've taken control of the Repugnent Party and the Dumbocrats who have refused to stand up to them.
Look, I find myself very upset too with the status quo in United States at times, so I can understand where you're coming from.

However, in regards to your opinions about DEMOcrats and the related issue with my thread about DEMOcrats, you seem to refuse to try to understand where I'm coming from.

I am disappointed with what I perceive as villification by some of the Democratic candidates about Bush's policies in Iraq. Yes, Bush invaded Iraq for the wrong reasons -- so let's criticize him there, not on goals that his administration would have a good chance at succeeding in.

For instance, the Democrats sure looked dumb on the day Saddam was captured, because, as was discussed briefly during one CNN report, some of those Democrats (Dean included) had criticized Bush in the past for not having accomplished that goal. Way to go in setting ourselves up in a position to have to do an about-face.

Criticizing the Bush administration for incompetent mistakes, and outright deceivements is the smart way -- villifying the Bush administration too much on one single issue is the dumb way.

We Democrats need to stand up to the Bush administration on a multitude of issues, and stop setting ourselves up in positions where we might have to do an about-face or back-pedaling in the immediate future.
Old December 17, 2003, 23:54   #194
Q Classic
Emperor

i was born and raised in the south. being !white, i can definitely see where the bad connotations come from--and the likes of people like wallace don't help much.

however, i've also seen the other side of things, which is why i know that everybody who bears the flag isn't a racist. plain and simple.
Old December 18, 2003, 00:00   #195
MrFun
Emperor

Q Cubed, no not everyone who adheres to the "Lost Cause" mythology is necessarily racist.

However, those who are not racist, but believe in the "Lost Cause" mythology, are ignorant about the history behind the rise of this mythology during and after Reconstruction.

The "Lost Cause" emerged as a political agenda by many former Confederates to distort the historical causes of the Civil War, and even the history of slavery itself, in antebellum America.
Old December 18, 2003, 00:01   #196
MrFun
Emperor

One more thing I forgot to add -- this "Lost Cause" mythology is based on white supremacy when it first emerged during and after Reconstruction, and through the early 20th century.

But again, you can believe in the "Lost Cause" and not be racist, but that you're simply ignorant about the underlying ideology of this mythology.
Old December 18, 2003, 00:02   #197
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrFun

We Democrats need to stand up to the Bush administration on a multitude of issues, and stop setting ourselves up in positions where we might have to do an about-face or back-pedaling in the immediate future.
In other words, you're a closet Bush-buddy.
Old December 18, 2003, 00:03   #198
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by monkspider

If you do not want to try to understand what I'm saying, then why am I wasting my time??
Old December 18, 2003, 00:04   #199
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

Quote:

If you do not want to try to understand what I'm saying, then why am I wasting my time??
I don't waste my time with Bush-dupes.
Old December 18, 2003, 00:04   #200
Q Classic
Emperor

no, not quite. there are quite a few who know it; they, however, feel that it's only right to honor their ancestors who came over on the boats and lived for generations in the south.

you give them another symbol to rally around, and i bet you they will.
Old December 18, 2003, 00:06   #201
Q Classic
Emperor

mrfun, i know what you mean. partisans can't, and never will.
Old December 18, 2003, 00:28   #202
DinoDoc
Civilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Quote:
I wasn't aware he was secretly straight.
Old December 18, 2003, 00:39   #203
MrFun
Emperor

Quote:

I don't waste my time with Bush-dupes.

You know, this cantankerous trolling that Chegitz started must be contagious.
Old December 18, 2003, 01:01   #204
PLATO
Apolyton Storywriters' GuildGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'BreC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogC4DG The HordeC4WDG éirich tuireannC3CDG Blood Oath Horde
Emperor

Quote:
One more thing I forgot to add -- this "Lost Cause" mythology is based on white supremacy when it first emerged during and after Reconstruction, and through the early 20th century.

But again, you can believe in the "Lost Cause" and not be racist, but that you're simply ignorant about the underlying ideology of this mythology.
Good Lord...You really don't have a clue about today's South, do you?
Troll on dope is like a moose on the loose - Grandpa Troll
Old December 18, 2003, 01:18   #205
Patroklos
Emperor

Local Time: 14:41
I have a picture of a confederat flag, half furled, with the caption "twill live in song and story, though its folds are in the dust." That is how most Southerners feel about the flag. It is a symbol of the South and its culture, both past and present. That culture has alot if bad things in it, but more good. People who attack the flag do so, as stated above, becasue they then don't have to face the problems where they are since they can just transplant them to us Southerners. I remember the whole SC capital flag thing, and it was absolutley pathetic. A group of people, both black and white, rallying around something tangible becasue it was eaiser than accepting that the true flaws causing them so many problems was within their own social groups, and they had nobody to blame except themselves. It matters not if that flag should have been there. They could have picked anything, but the flag was easier for ignorant people to identify.

Europeans should understand this more than anyone, god knows how many flags and banners are everywhere for political entities that no longer exist, but for which the people of certain regions still have pride for.

But, to make a point, flags with a longer history of slavery than the Confederate battle flag: USA, France, Italy, Spain, England, Netherlands, Belgium, China, Japan, India, etc....

-PAt
Old December 18, 2003, 01:33   #206
Ramo
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

The Confederate battle flags on the state capitols, SC included, were not raised to represent Southern culture; rather they were raised in opposition to desegregation. These specific flags (not every Confederate battle flag) represent hate and injustice, and have absolutely no business standing today.
"Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
-Bokonon
Old December 18, 2003, 08:27   #207
Q Classic
Emperor

that is precisely what i mean when i say the confederate flag's meaning has been hijacked. is that so hard to understand ?
Old December 18, 2003, 10:22   #208
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Ned
I see a lot of black people in the Republican leadership, Che. Republicans have gone out of their way to appoint blacks to positions of serious responsibility - a lot more so than any Democrat regime in history.
I see a handful, Ned. Furthermore, with the exception of Powell and Rice, most of them are actualy treated as tokens by the Repug party, pulled in for photo ops and then ignored and excluded most of the rest of the time. Even then, Powell and Rice are ignored when it comes to race politics. I am reminded of the time that the White House lied about Connie Rice being opposed to Affirmative Action in education, where upon she herself released a statement saying she supported taking race into consideration in academic access.

Powell, however muchhe may be admired by America, is treated like a red-headed step-child by the Repug party, and for the life of me, I can't see why he doesn't resign (probably because he doesn't want to risk letting the neo-cons have total control).
Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...
Old December 18, 2003, 10:23   #209
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by TCO

Face it...you are a weak fellow traveler. We will purge you with the Menshaviks and Social Revolutionaries.
So sue me. I have to be true to myself, which is why I subscribe to nonLeninist cult.
Old December 18, 2003, 10:31   #210
chequita guevara
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Patroklos
You know, most of the southerners I know, black and white,
If your part of the South is anything like my part of the South, then either you are lying outright or you are just plain clueless. Most people are incapable of seeing their own racism and the racism in the culture they grew up in. Th North's racism is very diferent from the South's, but they both have it. In the North it is vicious knife fight and in your face. In the South, it is a veiled threat, always lurking just out of sight, and coming down like a club and then covered up again.

There are still lynchings here. Black folks are still deferential here, and out of contact with whites, are a lot madder than Black folks in the North. White folks down here are a lot more imperious when it comes to Black people. It took a while to see it, because there's also a lot more race mixing down here, including inter-racial relationships. However, this last bit may be because Jacksonville is a huge military town, and the military is the most integrated part of American society.