Old December 16, 2003, 11:38   #1
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Local Time: 09:43
Local Date: November 2, 2010
AI civs hate me for no reason still? And Barricades.
I could have sworn this was going to be fixed in Conquests, but I guess not. AI civs still think i'm the devil incarnate if another goes war with me and breaks a trade deal I have going on. Now I could understand if I started the war that broke the trade route, but I didn't. Is this really that hard to fix?

Also, Barricades don't seem to work properly. The only time they drain all movement is if they move into the square when its empty. Calvary can throw themselves at the walls of my fortress attacking then run off. From Barricades description, I thought it would drain attacking units move as well.
Old December 16, 2003, 11:46   #2
CerberusIV
lifer
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4BtSDG Templars
Emperor

Local Time: 15:43
I was under the impression, from the description, that all a barricade did was stop units moving into a tile adjacent to the barricade and then into another tile adjacent to a barricade. Attacking is obviously different to moving.

It sounds like the tactic where you have a line of barricades is to stack units one tile behind the barricade/fortress and only move them in when an enemy unit moves adjacent so they can bombard or counterattack.

Still doesn't sound right though.
Old December 16, 2003, 12:03   #3
ChaotikVisions
Civilization IV Creators
Prince

Local Time: 09:43
Nope, Barricades only drain movement if they actually move onto the fortress itself. They can hang around in surrounding squares all they want, especially since the ZoC hit never seems to kick in. Thats why I thought they would at least drain attacking units move. Forts are really starting to annoy me, they take awhile to build for very limited usefulness.
Old December 16, 2003, 16:26   #4
Gibsie
Civilization IV: Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 14:43
It'd be nice if the diplomacy aspect was fair at all on higher levels; the AI can sign MPP's, attack me and have all its friends declare war on me, but if I agree to an MPP and my ally is attacked, I'm the one who suffers.
Gibsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2003, 16:39   #5
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 10:43
Quote:
I could have sworn this was going to be fixed in Conquests, but I guess not. AI civs still think i'm the devil incarnate if another goes war with me and breaks a trade deal I have going on. Now I could understand if I started the war that broke the trade route, but I didn't. Is this really that hard to fix?
Yeah, I think it is hard to fix. It requires that the game divine intent.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2003, 17:08   #6
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 08:43
Fortresses/Barricades 'can' be useful at times, like to block-off choke points or something like that.

Sometimes I will build them on my border squares for some additional defense points, but mostly because they look cool (especially the new Barricades) and it gives my Workers something to do while they're sitting around waiting for pollution to occur so they can clean it up.
Old December 16, 2003, 17:17   #7
steven8r
Prince

Local Time: 08:43
One other use for them that I've found:

You can use them to 'heard' the AI's attack units to where you want them to attack. Make a 'gauntlet' of Barricades (even fortified w/ obsolete units) and put some low-defense tiles in-between. The AI will almost always try to avoid the Barricades and go for the open spots.