Old December 16, 2003, 16:57   #1
J-S
Settler

Local Time: 11:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Will There Be A Ctp3 ?
Just wanted to know if anyone has news wether Activision ever thought of releasing a Call to Power 3... I'm sorry if this is posted in the wrong forum
J-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2003, 17:01   #2
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 09:44
No - Activision has bailed out of it. (although keep an eye on the Source Code project in the CTP2 forums)

You can hope the Firaxis wakes up and impliments the good features of CTP into civ4.

Of course some players think that there is nothing redeeming in CTP/CTP2. Blind loyalty sometimes does that...
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
hexagonian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2003, 17:07   #3
Az
Emperor

Local Time: 17:44
Quote:
Of course some players think that there is nothing redeeming in CTP/CTP2. Blind loyalty sometimes does that...
Quite sad, isn't it?
Old December 16, 2003, 17:10   #4
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

i think the first 2 sucked enough.
Old December 16, 2003, 17:24   #5
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 10:44
I wouldn't say they sucked entirely...there were several good ideas that were improvements from Civ2...however, the gameplay lacked something, the bizarre futuristic techs, too many lawyer units -- that was really weird IMO...anyway, the product [/i]missed[/i]
Old December 16, 2003, 17:51   #6
Frozzy
PtWDG2 SunshineNationStatesCall To Power SuperLeague
Emperor

Local Time: 02:44
Local Date: November 3, 2010
They won't. Activision no longer develops ANY games, not to mention most of the former CtP developers have either been laid off or left.
Frozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2003, 17:57   #7
Asmodean
Civilization III Democracy GameThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Local Time: 16:44
Of course some hope that the Source Code project will eventually turn in to some kind of a sequel.

Asmodean
Old December 16, 2003, 19:06   #8
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

sequel of suck.
Old December 16, 2003, 19:55   #9
J-S
Settler

Local Time: 11:44
What really sucks are "this or that sucks" posts

Anyway, CTP1 imho implemented at least 4 things that Civ games haven't yet dared to do (for unknown reasons):
  • 1) stack combat.
    2) public works.
    3) space atmosphere.
    4) futuristic technologies
CTP2 on the other hand, I didn't like so much...

It's a pity that Activision baled out on all of us CTP fans... and the worst thing is, that they had a great innovative CTP1 game on their hands... all they had to do for me to enjoy CTP2 was improve graphics and interface, and add a couple of units and imps.

Good thing they released the source code tho... I'm totally optimistic on what the community will accomplish with it.
J-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2003, 20:10   #10
Fosse
Alpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4WDG Stratega
King

Local Time: 08:44
I agree that stacked combat and public works were great new things, disagree vehemently that the space layer and futuristic technology are good ideas.

And agree that "suck" posts do indeed suck, and game "loyalty" making people hate similar games is downright absurd.

CtP had a lot of good ideas, and Civ 4 will the be poorer for ignoring them, if indeed that is what Firaxis chooses to do.
Fosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2003, 23:04   #11
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

1) stack combat. - meh. coulda been better, but good idea.
2) public works. - sucks.
3) space atmosphere. - elaborate.
4) futuristic technologies - sucks.
Old December 16, 2003, 23:05   #12
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Fosse
And agree that "suck" posts do indeed suck, and game "loyalty" making people hate similar games is downright absurd.
i've played the both, and i feel that CtP is a bastardization of one of the greatest series of all time.
Old December 16, 2003, 23:11   #13
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

...and I think CTP was an expansion on it.

Different strokes for different folks, I guess.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
Old December 16, 2003, 23:50   #14
Kuciwalker
Deity

Quote:
1) stack combat.
The benefits of this are arguable.

Quote:
2) public works.
A lot of people hate this, some like it, the tile improvements themselves really sucked.

Quote:
3) space atmosphere.
OVER MY DEAD BODY

Quote:
4) futuristic technologies
see above
Old December 17, 2003, 05:21   #15
Jon Miller
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II MultiplayerRise of Nations MultiplayerPtWDG Vox ControliC4DG Vox
OTF Moderator

Local Time: 08:44
I agree with skywalker

Jon Miller
Old December 17, 2003, 12:18   #16
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

It stands to reason that whenever I post, skywalker and jon miller will automatically be diametrically opposed to it. (I'm still waiting for Sir Ralph to add his opinions more than he has so far...)

Such is life... Though suprisingly, I do get a lot of agreement on the stacked combat issue so I must be on the right track

Last edited by hexagonian; December 17, 2003 at 12:24.
Old December 17, 2003, 12:21   #17
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by skywalker
Quote:
2) public works.
...the tile improvements themselves really sucked.
As opposed to the lack of multiple level tile improvements currently in civ3, as well as the infinite rail movement fiasco... (and it seems that there is also a lot of support for fixing these two issues too.)
Old December 17, 2003, 12:22   #18
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 17:44
I'll pop here to support Hex...

CtP series are innovative. There are indeed many better ideas in those games. While the stack combat is an open debate, the majority of players agree it's good. I've seen a ton of threads complaining about civ 3 combat system, and very few complains about that in CtP .

The moddability possible in CtP is still far beyond Civ 3. And Civ 2, for that matter, although not to such an extent.

Public Works take some time getting used to, but most actually end up liking them. Unconventional units and future techs, though, are the two things that cause much controversy, but personally, I love both.
Solver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2003, 12:39   #19
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
1) stack combat. - meh. coulda been better, but good idea.
Like both Civ and CTP way of handling it ( might be nice to what Firaxis would do with CTP-style combat)

Quote:
2) public works. - sucks.
Wouldn't seeing this implemented in Civ4

Quote:
3) space atmosphere. - elaborate.
Came way too late in the game to be of any use IIRC, same as underwater cities, and let's face it, all it really does is adding more MM at a time in the game where you don't really need anymore of it. (And again IIRC it had a terrible effect on my low-spec 'puter. It took ages to switch between earth and space mode)

Quote:
4) futuristic technologies - sucks.
Can live without them, great for scenario's but rather not see them in the epic.
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2003, 13:20   #20
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by J-S
1) stack combat.
I'm still not convinced that the CTP way of combat is that great. Actually the only thing I like about it is the advantegeous certain units have, like ranged archers or flanking cavalries. But with the retreating capability of horses/cavalries and 0 range bombardment for archers, civ3 is not far either in depicting the differences between units.

From the civ3 style combat I like armies and bombardment. How would that work with stacks?

What I really missed until civ3 was stacked movement and what I am missing now is stacked bombardment. I don't think while playing: "Wow, this battle would be so cool if it was stacked!" It might be good for civ if implemented right, but I'm still very reserved about this.

Quote:
2) public works.
To quote skywalker:
Over my dead body
I really hate it. Implement it in Civ4 and I won't buy it.

Quote:
3) space atmosphere.
4) futuristic technologies[/list]
I don't really care about these.

Now, what else what that great about CTP, that it should be blend with civ3 into a new civ game? I would stay far away from it, both in ideas as well as implementation.
--Woody Allen
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2003, 14:01   #21
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 14:44
Well there's (gamespot review):

Quote:
But the single best aspect of Call to Power is that, for the first time in this series, it puts the concept of "empire" front and center. This might seem like an odd statement - after all, the Civ games are all about empire building, aren't they? Actually, they're not. They're really about city-level management - many cities and many levels to be sure - and with few exceptions, the Civ games' policy-management controls, support schemes, and even interfaces are oriented around individual cities rather than the empire as a whole.

Not so in Call to Power, which takes a global approach to empire building. A few key examples: Units no longer are supported by a specific city, but by the empire itself; city improvements (tile improvements) are no longer built by settlers, but financed and supported by the empire; and while city-specific management is allowed, it must always be done within the parameters of the empire's global fiscal and social policies.
But they already copied that. (edit: except for the public works system.)

Last edited by Peter Triggs; December 17, 2003 at 14:23.
Peter Triggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2003, 14:26   #22
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
From the civ3 style combat I like armies and bombardment. How would that work with stacks?
Rather than type everything out again, you can go through these threads. They basically cover the gamut, including your concerns about stacked combat.

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=103316
http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...hreadid=103349

The one thing I will say is that each of those combat/movement elements in place in civ3 are not necessarily bad in and of themselves - tedious, yes, but not bad.

But it is the combination of
1. infinite stack size making size the overriding factor and basically places front lines IN your cities nullifying a field game
2. the inability to efficiently combine different TYPES of units for movement purposes
3. a weakened ZOC rule
4. and infinite rail movement
all added together that greatly compound tedium and greatly limits strategic and tactical considerations.
(and I address all of these factors more specifically in the threads above)

If you like the system, that's your right... (I'm certainly not going to begrudge you if you want to spend 10-15 minutes a turn in Industrial Age(+) battles resolving single unit combat and movement - when a streamlined stacked combat system would only take a couple of minutes for basically the same end result) but at the same time, the poll for stacked combat vs single unit combat is currently running almost 4:1 IN FAVOR OF stacked combat, so there definitely is a desire to see it in civ4 or to strongly consider it.

Besides, you have nothing to worry about. Firaxis is sure to take the easy way out, which is minor alterations to the present system - thereby relieving your wallet of another $40 with minimum effort. (PTW anyone???)

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiberius
What I really missed until civ3 was stacked movement and what I am missing now is stacked bombardment.
Stacked bombardment is in CTP2 already.

As for space/future techs, I have no particular feeling either way. After all, I play my own CTP2 Mod that is primarily based in the Ancient/Medieval Age, so you know where my preferences lie...

Last edited by hexagonian; December 17, 2003 at 16:36.
Old December 17, 2003, 16:46   #23
Tiberius
PtWDG LegolandCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by hexagonian

the poll for stacked combat vs single unit combat is currently running almost 4:1 IN FAVOR OF stacked combat, so there definitely is a desire to see it in civ4 or to strongly consider it.
I haven't voted in the poll yet and I doubt I will. Honestly it is a very poorly done poll. I know I don't want a civ2 style combat, nor a ctp style combat.
(btw, you should post the poll in the civ3 forums and watch the outcome.)

Stacked combat has its merits and like I said I'm not really against it, but I'm not for it either. However, the whole civ4 list seems to me as if it was a ctp3 list and I think that keeps many civ3-ers away (that and the forum's title: couldn't we have a Civ4 List forum, in the same way as the old Civ3 List forum?).
--Woody Allen
Tiberius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2003, 17:16   #24
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 15:44
Quote:
(btw, you should post the poll in the civ3 forums and watch the outcome.)
Civilization Games General/Future is a neutral forum, seems like a good place for a poll, unless you think ideas for civ4 can only be made by civ fans and not CtP fans?
Maquiladora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2003, 18:38   #25
Kuciwalker
Deity

Actually, I'd bet there are more CtP(2) enthusiasts here. It seems many of the C3 people never venture out of the C3 forums.
Old December 17, 2003, 18:54   #26
Maquiladora
Call to Power II MultiplayerCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power PBEMCall to Power Multiplayer
Emperor

Poll results:

Stacked Combat - 47
single unit - 13
banana - 7

There are barely 47 current regular CtP'ers on Apolyton, let alone that come to this forum.
Old December 17, 2003, 19:21   #27
Kuciwalker
Deity

Still, I dare you - post in in the C3-General or C3-Conquests forum
Old December 17, 2003, 19:39   #28
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 14:44
On Dec 12, Ras posted in the Civ 4 thread in Civ3 General reminding people about these threads. I immediately followed with

Quote:
There's some heated discussions about how CTP2's system of stacked combat is better than the Civ system. But very few Civ3 players are turning up to express their opinion.
That thread has just over 1800 hits.
Peter Triggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2003, 19:48   #29
Maquiladora
Emperor

Quote:
Still, I dare you - post in in the C3-General or C3-Conquests forum
Youre right i wouldnt dare, or bother would be a better word.

But the real question is how many of those are experienced civvers or civ3 is their first civ experience? I can say with quite abit of confidence all of the CtP'ers have played civ2 (at least) beforehand and made a conscious choice for CtP1/2.

As for CtP3, not from Activision, but youre all welcome in the CtP2 source code forum. There was only an idea today to change the combat system. Anything is possible, can the same be said for civ3?
Old December 17, 2003, 20:21   #30
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

There's no reason to do this Civ3 versus CtP thing imo, a waste of time.
I played civ2/ctp1/ctp2/civ3...
Liked them all ( for various reasons).
What's more I have often said that a mix of both games would be more then welcome.
alva is offline   Reply With Quote