View Poll Results: Do you Dl software illeagaly? (dl as in download)
Yes, always, I never buy anything I can dl. 13 17.57%
Often, I rarely buy stuff I can dl. 19 25.68%
Rarely, I mostly buy my stuff. 27 36.49%
Never!! I want to make it to God's house! 13 17.57%
I only dl Bananas. 2 2.70%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old December 16, 2003, 22:48   #61
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 08:44
Local Date: November 2, 2010
I am very much against copyright for copyright's sake. Copyright is a tool that's supposed to encourage innovation. Claiming that copyrights longer than the ones mandated in the Berne Convention is ludicrous.

I don't think Berne has run out on any software, has it?
Old December 16, 2003, 22:59   #62
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 09:44
Yeah... I would love to see how some of these people's opinions would change if they were the one being ripped off
Old December 16, 2003, 23:01   #63
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 22:44
I download software. to Free Software and OSS. In fact, I am using Firebird on Linux right now

On a theoretical level, though, I can't see how you can copyright software, e.g. the executables. Sure, arguably you can copyright the source code, but the executables are compiled, and have no direct correspondence to the sources whatsoever.
Old December 16, 2003, 23:02   #64
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Ming
Yeah... I would love to see how some of these people's opinions would change if they were the one being ripped off
Don't forget some of us develop OSS software
Old December 16, 2003, 23:05   #65
Nubclear
NationStatesCall to Power II Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamRise of Nations MultiplayerACDG The Human HiveNever Ending StoriesACDG The Free DronesACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessGalCiv Apolyton EmpireACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansCiv4 SP Democracy GameDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization IV PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Peace
PolyCast Thread Necromancer

Local Time: 14:44
Quote:
if you want to do it... your decision, but don't try to justify it. It is still theft, and it makes you a thief.
Is Ming renouncing capitalism?!
Old December 16, 2003, 23:09   #66
Urban Ranger
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by notyoueither
I am very much against copyright for copyright's sake. Copyright is a tool that's supposed to encourage innovation. Claiming that copyrights longer than the ones mandated in the Berne Convention is ludicrous.

I don't think Berne has run out on any software, has it?
The counter question is then, are software companies obliged to support any and all programs they have that are still under copyright?
Old December 16, 2003, 23:17   #67
notyoueither
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamPolyCast TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

What does that have to do with DL'ing software?
Old December 16, 2003, 23:20   #68
Urban Ranger
Deity

Are you going to answer my question or simply try to sidetrack?

If companies are obliged to support all the programs they published, failure to do so will mean that they give up the copyrights to the programs they no longer support.
Old December 16, 2003, 23:33   #69
notyoueither
Deity

Ah, I see. Abandonware, or some such. However, sir, the thread is about stealing sw (and other things) by downloading it (them).

Tell me, just how much support does a musician need to provide after laying down the track?

And, just what does the lack of support for DOS 5 have to do with people downloading the latest PhotoShop, games, or other software?

So, it is you who are trying to take this into a sidetrack, yes?
Old December 17, 2003, 01:30   #70
Space05us
King

Local Time: 02:44
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Paris Hilton

Quote:
she's an anorexic toff

as for dl stuff illegaly, Ive downloaded a game before. Butt it sucked and while it was downloading I had nothing to do, it took three days. I never did that again.
Old December 17, 2003, 01:42   #71
Oerdin
Deity

Local Time: 07:44
I'll buy most video games I want but I only buy 2-3 per year. I'll download or buy illegal copies of most music and movies though.
Christianity is the belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie who can give us eternal life if we symbolically eat his flesh and blood and telepathically tell him that we accept him as our lord and master so he can remove an evil force present in all humanity because a woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from an apple tree.
Old December 17, 2003, 02:29   #72
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 10:44
I buy the things I want. I don't download anything illegal.
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 17, 2003, 02:31   #73
Imran Siddiqui
staff
Apolytoners Hall of FameAge of Nations TeamPolyCast Team

Local Time: 10:44
Quote:
Is Ming renouncing capitalism?!
Only is Stalinism is considered true Communism .
“I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
- John 13:34-35 (NRSV)
Old December 17, 2003, 04:18   #74
laurentius
Civilization II MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' GuildACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessDiplomacyAlpha Centauri PBEMAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG Planet University of TechnologyNever Ending StoriesACDG PeaceACDG3 GaiansMacC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
King

Local Time: 16:44
I am currently trying to download Civ2 from ED2K networks. I dont think I'm doing anything wrong since I bought the original game in 1996 and again in 2000 after the original cd got too scratched. Now I have lost the one I bought in 2000 and I'm sure as hell not going to buy Civ2 a third time. Even if there is store somewhere that still sells it.
So I'm searching for civ2 ISO image. PM me I you want to help me, I can provide proof of the 2 cds I've bought.

- Paul Valery
Old December 17, 2003, 05:15   #75
Sikander
King

I don't steal any of it. The only temptation I have to steal are music CDs and DVDs, because I hate spending the 5 minutes it takes to get all the damn security tape off of them.
Old December 17, 2003, 05:43   #76
:) Smiley
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Not only do I try to get all the free software I can, I also use a lot of free hardware taken from discarded computers. And free printer paper... rebate CDs... uh yeah it's great to live in a society as wasteful as the U.S. of A.
Old December 17, 2003, 07:40   #77
East Street Trader
Prince

I don't.

No doubt that is partly influenced by the fact that I can afford to buy.

The reason I buy is a selfish one. I greatly enjoy good computer games, good films, good music etc. Such things will not be produced unless those involved expect to be able to sell what they make.

So I buy.
Old December 17, 2003, 07:54   #78
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 23:44
Quote:
Originally posted by Urban Ranger

The counter question is then, are software companies obliged to support any and all programs they have that are still under copyright?
Ain't that the truth. The old copyright laws simply don't do enough to protect the interests of consumers when it comes to software.

I take it you would disagree with a traditional civil disobedience campaign, Ming?
Old December 17, 2003, 08:26   #79
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Quote:
Yeah... justify it all you want... it's still theft. If you were to get caught, you would be punished. So play your silly word games if it makes you feel better

But it makes you a thief... subject to prosecution.
But not subject to prosecution of theft...

You'd be subject to prosecution as a copyright violator, or, recently... DMCA violator. Copyright law and the DMCA are worded in a radically different way than real property statutes, due to some of the reasons I've mentioned.

Everything, of course is relative...

Laws like those in Malaysia target infringing commercial use... and personal use is ignored. So your statement isn't universal.

I'd also say that, largely, a law without enforcement is merely advice. *chuckles*
Old December 17, 2003, 08:50   #80
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBaggins
But not subject to prosecution of theft...
But still illegal... It is still theft of intellectual property.

Quote:
Laws like those in Malaysia target infringing commercial use... and personal use is ignored. So your statement isn't universal.
Copyright law is an international law... whether somebody decides to enforce it or not doesn't change the law.

Quote:
I'd also say that, largely, a law without enforcement is merely advice. *chuckles*
So basically, you are claiming that as long as you can get away with something that is illegal, it's not really illegal...

Yeah.... It is still illegal
Old December 17, 2003, 08:50   #81
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:44
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by East Street Trader
I don't.

No doubt that is partly influenced by the fact that I can afford to buy.

The reason I buy is a selfish one. I greatly enjoy good computer games, good films, good music etc. Such things will not be produced unless those involved expect to be able to sell what they make.

So I buy.
But if you don't test before you buy, how many lemons are you also supporting?
Old December 17, 2003, 09:17   #82
MrBaggins
CTP2 Source Code Project
King

Quote:

But still illegal... It is still theft of intellectual property.
Nope... theft is a real property concept. As already mentioned, something needs to be taken, for there to be theft. Theft isn't mentioned in either chapter 5 of Title 17 or Section 2319 of Title 18. The term is just "copyright infringement"; a definition unto itself.

Quote:
Copyright law is an international law... whether somebody decides to enforce it or not doesn't change the law.

So basically, you are claiming that as long as you can get away with something that is illegal, it's not really illegal...

Yeah.... It is still illegal
Laws by their definition, require enforcement, if only intermittent enforcement. Personal use infringement just isn't prosecuted in Malaysia, at all... whether by an international body or otherwise... or a number of other territories. S.A., and bulgaria if I remember correctly.
Old December 17, 2003, 09:20   #83
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Downloading music is not even copyright infringement, at least in Canada.

Che said it isn't in the US either.

So Ming, since downloading your favourite Humperdinck album is not illegal in either the US or Canada, what's your complaint?

If you want to say it's immoral, then we can start asking whether the whole copyright system is moral, and there the fun starts.
Old December 17, 2003, 09:27   #84
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBaggins
Laws by their definition, require enforcement, if only intermittent enforcement. Personal use infringement just isn't prosecuted in Malaysia, at all... whether by an international body or otherwise... or a number of other territories. S.A., and bulgaria if I remember correctly.
Again... just because they are not enforced doesn't change the fact that there are laws in place.

Again... your logic implys that anything you can get away with is OK... It doesn't change the fact that doing so is illegal.
Old December 17, 2003, 09:32   #85
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

The copyright system was originally instituted to encourage people to create things that benefitted consumers. While it still does that it seems reasonable to ask whether or not there are some areas in which it does more harm than good, or should be modified.

That's a discussion worth having.
Old December 17, 2003, 09:33   #86
General Ludd
NationStates
Emperor

Downloading data is no more theft than eavesdroping on a conversation is.

Do It Ourselves
Old December 17, 2003, 09:35   #87
Combat Ingrid
Prince

I think Ming has been a moderator too long

Now go dl some stuff, Ming. Free your mind!
Old December 17, 2003, 09:43   #88
Ming
lifer
Retired

Whether the law needs to be changed is a whole different story... However, as it currently stands, it is illegal... and that's a fact. You can try to justify it all you want, but it's still against the law
Old December 17, 2003, 09:45   #89
-Jrabbit
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II MultiplayerMacCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Succession Games
Deity

Quote:
Do you Dl software illeagaly?
It's a well-known fact that software thieves can't spell.

The fact that the (intellectual) property is cloned rather than stolen outright (like hard goods) does not change the fact that ownership rights are violated through illegal D/Ls.

Software thieves have a wide variety of arguments to "justify" their actions, but the simple fact is that, by and large, they do it because they can get away with it. This is outlaw behavior, and no amount of sophistry can make it moral or ethical.

"The Borg are gay." -Drake Tungsten
Old December 17, 2003, 09:52   #90
Agathon
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Whether the law needs to be changed is a whole different story... However, as it currently stands, it is illegal... and that's a fact. You can try to justify it all you want, but it's still against the law
But downloading music is legal (although uploading it is not).

Are you condoning what the record companies assure us is piracy, even though it is perfectly legal?