Old December 17, 2003, 11:53   #1
kserra11
Settler

Local Time: 14:46
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Making Huge Maps Larger
With the recent purchase of Conquests, I'm just now really getting into Civ3...I love the ability to play against 15 opponents and have had some awesome massive wars going on later in the game...

How can I make my huge maps I use in my games larger...is there a file somewhere that would allow me to change the default size of these maps so that there is a little more room for my civs to start?

One other question...I would like to alter the movement bonus for Railroads...again, is there a file somewhere that I can edit to change this rating?

Thanks for all the help. Happy gaming.

Kevin
kserra11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2003, 12:05   #2
Vlad Antlerkov
Civilization III Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 08:46
Yes, the rules editor allows for you to change the default size of maps. (It probably allows adding entirely new map sizes as well; I can't remember off the top of my head.)

As for rail movement, that's hardcoded and can't be changed.

Edit: Wait, you're getting cramped early on when playing huge maps? What difficulty are you playing?
Vlad Antlerkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2003, 12:36   #3
kserra11
Settler

no, i'm not getting cramped early on...but with 16 civs, i think it would be even better to have a bit more room for all of us to get started before the real mess begins around 1000 AD...

so if I just go to the editor and change the map size, what do i save the file as so that it will be used for every game i start? thanks.

Kevin
kserra11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17, 2003, 13:23   #4
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 09:46
Be careful. I think that there is some kind of city limit.
Old December 17, 2003, 13:58   #5
Willem
Emperor

Local Time: 07:46
Quote:
Originally posted by kserra11
no, i'm not getting cramped early on...but with 16 civs, i think it would be even better to have a bit more room for all of us to get started before the real mess begins around 1000 AD...

so if I just go to the editor and change the map size, what do i save the file as so that it will be used for every game i start? thanks.

Kevin
Go into the editor, to the World Sizes page. You can increase the size there. The maximum is 300 something x 300 something. Be aware though that the larger the map size, the slower your game will run. I tried the maximum size at first, but the turns took way to long for my liking. I settled for 256 x 256 in my game.

And as mentioned, there's a city limit of 512, for all civs combined. The maximum map size is to big on that score, you'll end up with a lot of empty space that can't be used. I found that the map size I use is just about right, if I don't allow cities to be built on Desert and Tundra. There's only a few fairly small areas that don't get developed.

PS Just save it as a scenario, then load it through the CivContent selection on the main page. The game will always remember the last scenario that was loaded. It's not a good idea to overwrite the default biq file.

And as for the Railroad movement, you're out of luck. There's no way to change it. You can only do that with Roads.

Last edited by Willem; December 17, 2003 at 14:05.
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2003, 05:02   #6
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Willem
Go into the editor, to the World Sizes page. You can increase the size there. The maximum is 300 something x 300 something.
Its 362x362 I believe.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2003, 05:22   #7
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

hope you have a fast and capable computer. even then the turn length will be... well lengthy
Old December 18, 2003, 06:29   #8
Stuie
King

Local Time: 10:46
I changed ALL the map sizes in my mod because I never play on tiny/small maps. Here's a tip:

When you change a map size, use rename so that the name reflects the size of the map ("160x160" instead of "Huge", etc.). That way it's easier to keep track of your maps.
Stuie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2003, 13:40   #9
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

If you keep the number of civs in the game down, it will help with the run time.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2003, 14:48   #10
Willem
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
If you keep the number of civs in the game down, it will help with the run time.
I only play with 8 on a 256 x 256 map and it still takes a long time for my turn to come up by the end of the game. Mind you, I don't exactly have the speediest computer to work with.
Willem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2003, 17:22   #11
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I am not sure were the cutoff should be, but when you get to 24 or more it has got to be painful, no matter what your system.
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 01:32   #12
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:46
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by vmxa1
I am not sure were the cutoff should be, but when you get to 24 or more it has got to be painful, no matter what your system.
It IS painful. That's why the first attempt of the Civ3 Democracy Game was abandoned in favour of less thatn 24 civs and less than a huge map!

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
MrWhereItsAt is offline   Reply With Quote