Old December 18, 2003, 04:07   #1
Smellincoffee
Settler

Local Time: 09:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Palace cost:
What determines the fluctuating cost of building the palace? Capital city size? Empire size? Both?
Old December 18, 2003, 07:03   #2
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Local Time: 16:48
Empire size; the more you cities you have the more expensive it gets.
Old December 18, 2003, 09:31   #3
Space05us
King

Local Time: 02:48
Local Date: November 3, 2010
Didn't notice that before, the palace increases in price as your empire grows?
Old December 18, 2003, 09:41   #4
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 10:48
Yes...which is good for those prebuilds...those later wonders take more shields.
Old December 19, 2003, 00:24   #5
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

As long as no-one actually build the Palace anywhere from scratch that late in the game! It is much easier to use a Leader - even MGL's can still rush the Palace, or to use the auto-relocation of the Palace when you disband the capital. This takes a little effort to boost populations around the new capital enough, but less than building it from scratch.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old December 19, 2003, 00:32   #6
Shogun Gunner
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerC3CDG Team BabylonPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization IV CreatorsC4DG Sarantium
Emperor

I haven't tried this, but I assume if you select to build a palace, rush build with a MGL, you cannot switch to a wonder build at that point. Obviously that goes against the intent of the rules.
Old December 19, 2003, 01:15   #7
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

That's correct - they have fixed it so that no build with any amount of shields gained via poprushing, forest clearing, cashrushing or rushing with a leader that could not rush the new build directly can be changed to something like a Great Wonder.

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old December 19, 2003, 04:04   #8
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

Local Time: 07:48
I think palaces should be real cheap. that would discourage pre-building. I would also like palaces not to magically appear in the enemy ai when you conquer their capitol city. They should have to build them.
Old December 19, 2003, 04:41   #9
The Mad Monk
Emperor

I miss wonder rushing.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old December 19, 2003, 07:13   #10
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Dissident
I think palaces should be real cheap. that would discourage pre-building. I would also like palaces not to magically appear in the enemy ai when you conquer their capitol city. They should have to build them.
That would leave a lot more exploits then the way it is now IMO.
Old December 19, 2003, 23:38   #11
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by The Mad Monk
I miss wonder rushing.
For the same reason I like less resources on the map in C3C compared to previous versions/patches is the same reason why I don't miss wonder rushing. The human player doesn't have easy avenues to win. It's harder now - I like that.
Old December 20, 2003, 03:45   #12
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shogun Gunner
For the same reason I like less resources on the map in C3C compared to previous versions/patches is the same reason why I don't miss wonder rushing. The human player doesn't have easy avenues to win. It's harder now - I like that.
Ditto that; there is alot more uncertainty now, a little more mystery!
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old December 20, 2003, 04:01   #13
Dis
ACDG3 SpartansC4DG Vox
Deity

I almost wish there was no rushing of wonders- period. Including scientific leaders and palace pre-building.

I would like wonders to be built soley on the basis of shield production and how early you start building them.
Old December 20, 2003, 06:56   #14
alva
Deity

I'm not a very big supporter of the whole leader rushing feature either. I'm always glad I get one, but it just isn't the same building a wonder this way, the sense of achievement feels much greater when sitting in agony for (the last) 20 turns hoping no AI will build it before you.
Old December 20, 2003, 07:23   #15
The Mad Monk
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Shogun Gunner

All you need to do is program the AI to take advantage of what rushing strategies are open -- it shouldn't be that hard, after all they now have about a decade's worth of human play to model.

My veiw is that wonders should be the result of the efforts of an entire civilization, not just one city -- and the only way to do that, in Civ terms, is to allow various forms of rushing. If you think that makes it less of a challenge, fine -- pump up the shield requirements until you really do need to throw you entire civilization behind the effort -- whether with most / all cities producing carvans, or converting shields to gold (or sending every available citizen!) for the eventual final rush.
"We have tried spending money. We are spending more than we have ever spent before and it does not work...After eight years of this Administration, we have just as much unemployment as when we started... And an enormous debt to boot!" — Henry Morgenthau, Franklin Delano Roosevelt's Treasury secretary, 1941.
Old December 20, 2003, 09:43   #16
Shogun Gunner
Emperor

If the AI could really be programmed to match the human in rush build decision making, then okay.

But using Civ2 as an example, the AI would be very aggressive to building wonders -- sometimes five or six cities would be working on the same wonder-- and don't forget about the AI cheats..I mean rushing. People complained endlessly about that.

Its probably easier to bring everyone down to a level playing field versus bringing the AI up to our ability.