Old December 18, 2003, 09:07   #1
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Local Time: 16:48
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Project - Apolyton game
Anyone's up to make a computer version of one of the game we've played in this forum...

I was thinking about Nuclear War (The one we've played here, or maybe the game that was created a long time ago)
And I'm not talking about making them SP, but MP, with a Server, which runs 24 hours a day, taking in orders and such (I have a server, which can be used for this)
Which game will be chosen later (along with the rules)

I only know Java (And the basic in Visual Basic), so the game has to be written in this language I guess

Anyone interested in helping out? I wont do it by myself!
Old December 18, 2003, 09:10   #2
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 14:48
I'll help, BUT...

When I'm finished on the 'poly dungeon
I only know C++, but I can make the graphics if you like.

Nuclear War is a good choice though.

-Jam
Taht 'ventisular link be woo to clyck.
Jamski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2003, 09:16   #3
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Graphics would be nice, though I've never programmed with graphics yet (Never even tried programming a game), so I don't know how easy/hard it'll be to implement an autoupdate of the map...

I've never tried C++ before, but for Christmas I wished for a C# book, so I can start learning this...
doubt I'll get it though
During the hollydays I'll be getting a VB .net book (after Christmas we start on VB .net)
Old December 18, 2003, 09:48   #4
Space05us
King

Local Time: 02:48
Local Date: November 3, 2010
cool I dont know diddly squat about anything really, but if theres anything I can do to help just ask.
Space05us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2003, 10:06   #5
Jamski
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Its easy enough to have the map as a fixed object and just call city and nuke graphics as overlays to the right coordinates, isn't it? Showing borders and so on could be hard. Have each area the same shape and make the overlays come with a coloured background that fills that area? Different colours for different players obviously.

-Jam
Old December 18, 2003, 10:45   #6
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

As I said: I've never worked with graphics before, but I assume it'll be diffecult to get the computer to make new cities at random places on the map, without accidently making water cities

Nobody else interested... and knows Java?
Old December 18, 2003, 11:56   #7
Jamski
Deity

Well, then let's not use water, just a grid of land squares.

-Jam
Old December 18, 2003, 14:56   #8
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

I know Java....but i can't say i'm interested untill i know what this Nuclear War game is
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2003, 15:05   #9
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

In short:

Each player can issue one order each round, which is sending two nukes (to one or two oponents), build a city, deflect 50% of incoming nukes or hide in bunker (only avaliable once)
The last player with cities not nuked wins...

Check out the other Nuclear War threads

I was hoping on making the more advanced version (The old Nuke War for Amiga), but I believe most Apolytoner's wants the thread version...
Old December 18, 2003, 19:25   #10
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 15:48
I know Java. I've programmed some utilities for Civ2 in Java and I'm willing to help in any Java-related project
Old December 18, 2003, 19:32   #11
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I know some html and some css. not much of use is it.
I will be starting taking courses in vb.net in january and later I will be starting Java (I already do know how to write "hello world" on the screen though )

But I'll gladly help out.
alva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 04:18   #12
Jamski
Deity

From the Apolyton vB help page : http://www.apolyton.com/forums/misc....&action=bbcode

Quote:
The Code and PHP Tags

If you want to post some programming source code, or perhaps some ASCII art, which would require a non-proportional font, you can use the [code] tag to achieve this. For example:

Code:
    < script language="Javascript">
    < !--
    alert ("Hello world!");
    // -->
    < /script>
Is that what you meant Alva? (filled with random spaces so it won't work.

-Jam
Old December 19, 2003, 06:03   #13
self biased
staff
Civilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Civilization V News Editor

Local Time: 10:48
i could do a layout... basic graphic manipulation, that sort of thing. i might be able to whip up an interface...
self biased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 06:48   #14
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Not sure what you mean with 'Basic graphic manipulation'

Do you mean something like a Graphical User Interface (GUI)?

Let's see who we got:

Java:
Me
Yaroslav

Graphics:
Jamski

Misc:
Alva

How about you Lemmy... are you interested?
Old December 19, 2003, 07:01   #15
yaroslav
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEMSpanish CiversCivilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I also want to say that there's a minor chance of me getting a job in another city... If I get it, I'll leave Apoly for 2 or 3 month, until I earn enough to build a new computer (the one I'm using is of all my family and I shouldn't take away). I'll inform you in that case.

Last edited by yaroslav; December 19, 2003 at 07:40.
yaroslav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 07:14   #16
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

ok...
Old December 19, 2003, 07:33   #17
alva
Civilization III PBEMPtWDG2 Cake or Death?PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Quote:
Is that what you meant Alva? (filled with random spaces so it won't work.
OEh nononooo, I can do it in proper Java and all.Compiling and whatnot.
I don't really mention it on my resume though.
Old December 19, 2003, 09:48   #18
Spaced Cowboy
Emperor

Local Time: 09:48
I'll be glad to hang around an make annoying comments about everyone else's work. Every good project needs that type of person you know.
Old December 19, 2003, 09:53   #19
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 22:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Jamski
Its easy enough to have the map as a fixed object and just call city and nuke graphics as overlays to the right coordinates, isn't it? Showing borders and so on could be hard. Have each area the same shape and make the overlays come with a coloured background that fills that area? Different colours for different players obviously.

-Jam
Initially, you don't need graphics, just text output is fine. You don't need to have a server up 24 hours a day, either. You just need a program that runs batch once a day, and have some way of entering simple commands. A Web interface should be ideal.
Urban Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 10:09   #20
Jamski
Deity

Code:
[fakecode]
#Orderscript
ShowText"Press 1 to nuke, 2 to hide in bunker, 3 to deflect nukes, 4 to stockipe nukes";
ListenKeyPress"Orders"; Get"Orders"(int);
If"Orders">4,Get"Orders"; If"Orders"<1,Get"Orders";
If"Orders"==1,RunNukescript; If"Orders"==2,RunBunkerscript; If"Orders"==3,RunDeflectscript; If"Orders"==4,RunStockpilescript;
[/fakecode]
Complete rubbish code, but something on those lines of simplicty would do the job.

-Jam
Old December 19, 2003, 10:59   #21
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I know exactly nothing about such things... hell, I don't even know how to add java.class files to work on some html site, we've only learned how to make the apps, pack them in some .jar file, to make them execute-able (As it was some .exe file)

But in the beginning I was just thinking along the line of just having everything text-based (Not "Press 2 to nuke someone"), where the players chose which player they want to attack, from a combobox, and then chose the city from a list box or something like that... not having a map works fine for a game like this...

If someone knows anything about making a connection in VB 6 or VB .NET I could switch to this instead (Much easier to work on a GUI from there

Last edited by Adagio; December 19, 2003 at 11:07.
Adagio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 12:05   #22
Lemmy
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessACDG3 Spartans
King

Hmm, i'll pass for this project...don't really have the time for it.
<Kassiopeia> you don't keep the virgins in your lair at a sodomising distance from your beasts or male prisoners. If you devirginised them yourself, though, that's another story. If they devirginised each other, then, I hope you had that webcam running.
Play Bumps! No, wait, play Slings!
Lemmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 16:42   #23
self biased
staff
Civilization IV PBEMCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton Storywriters' Guild
Civilization V News Editor

Local Time: 10:48
ummm i designed the layout of my blog. so yeah. GUI. thingie.
self biased is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 17:45   #24
yaroslav
Emperor

@ADG:

I don't know too much about VB... but designing a GUI in Java is very easy, specially if you some envoirement like Sun One Studio (the former versions were free, this has a 60-days trial period). I'm for Java, but, hey, I like Java, so I'm biased. And we can use an Applet, that is integrated in HTML easily.
Old December 20, 2003, 07:19   #25
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I've never used Sun One Studio, but I'm using jBuilder whenever I have to make a GUI, but it's still 100x easier to make a gui in VB

In school we haven't spent much time making Applets, I've forgotten all about them, but as long it'n not me who's going to make the GUI's, then I don't mind using whatever you say should be used

When should we start the project? Should we wait for more people to help, or should we just begin?
I've never been working on a project online before. I've only worked on projects were all on the team works in the same room... does any of you have any experience in this (That's online-project I mean)?
Old December 20, 2003, 07:26   #26
alva
Deity

Just start, we'll see where we end-up I guess.
Old December 20, 2003, 07:50   #27
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Ok

The first thing we need to figure out is which of these Nuclear War games we should make:

1) - The Amiga version

Each player has 5 cities, with a random amount of citizens (Average about 30). Each round the player can issue an order (e.g. launch a nuke, attack with bomber, protect cities, propaganda (takes some citizens from target city, and adds to your city) or build weapons/defense (For later use)

2) - The forum game version

Each player gets 3 cities, but can build more cities, fire two nukes each round... etc etc etc... read the forum games for more info

The first one has more randomness in it: e.g. the propaganda order takes a "random" number of citizens from target city. The number should be based on things like: How many times have you attacked target country/city, how many times have you used propaganda on target country/city, etc...There's a chance of failure

I defently prefer to revive the Amiga version... I spent countless of hours playing this game (And looking at an old thread about this game, it seems like other posters likes this game as well)... This version is pretty diffecult to set up as a forum game, but would be "easy enough" to set up as a computer game I guess
Old December 20, 2003, 07:57   #28
alva
Deity

Maybe do the easier one as a leaning process?
Old December 20, 2003, 08:13   #29
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

I don't think one of them is easier to program than the other one...

The only part there's a noticeable difference is in game one you can't build cities, so the map would be easy to make (Compared to game two)
Old December 20, 2003, 11:16   #30
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 22:48
VB sucks compared to Java.

Anyway, the forum game version is definitely easier to write, because in the real Nuclear War game, you got things like anti-missiles and retaliatory strikes. You also have things like propaganda.

Looks like you can do the thing in PHP with some JavaScript and HTML in a couple of hours.
Urban Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote