Old December 19, 2003, 12:09   #1
Metazoa
Settler

Local Time: 14:52
Local Date: November 2, 2010
Racist Undertones in Conquests
I was disgusted, while playing the Mesoamerica scenario, to see the specific civilization characters used to portray the lesser powers such as the Toltecs and Olmecs. The fact that the developers used already-existing characters to stand for the lesser powers did not surprise me. What did was the fact that the developers chose to use all the non-white leaders to stand for them. I acknlowedge that the ancient leaders of the Mesoamerican powers were not white by our standards, but this is by no means a justification to generalize and use character pictures from the Zulus, Iroquoi, and Mongols, to name a few. This just lumps together all the non-white characters and assumes they can represent any other non-white character or people. I would like to hear people's comments on this. Thanks.
Metazoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 12:17   #2
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Local Time: 10:52
They did a lot of skimping on artwork for Conquests in order to get the game released "on time." Frankly, since I pay almost no attention to leaderheads, I hadn't even noticed.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Arrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 12:19   #3
pauli
Prince

Quote:
I would like to hear people's comments on this.
i think you're off your rocker.

the only racism i've found in conquests is when i start making up new slurs to use against my captured workers.
Old December 19, 2003, 12:19   #4
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

Local Time: 09:52
Do you care that they used Abe as the leaderhead for Burgundy in the Middle Ages Scenario?
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 12:31   #5
Fried-Psitalon
Civilization IV: MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormGalCiv Apolyton EmpireCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMApolyton UniversityC4DG Sarantium
Official Civilization IV Strategy Guide Co-Author

I'm not sure where you got the idea that they skimped on the art to get the game out on time, Arrian? Unless you're referring to the city views which I can count the number of times I've looked at on one hand....

But lemme join the "Yer off yer rocker" chorus on this one. I would imagine that - if any thought was put into which leaderheads were chosen, which I doubt - they chose the typically "ancient culture" civilization leaderheads for Mesoamerica.

I sincerely doubt any racism was intended or expressed by the choices made there.

It's this sort of rampant political correctness rubbish that has me saying "Fireperson" and "policeperson" to my students in class now. :P (Not that I actually DO, mind you.)
Fried-Psitalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 12:36   #6
asleepathewheel
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Emperor

I couldn't imagine being one of your students Fried-must be a harrowing experience.
asleepathewheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 13:18   #7
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

Maybe you could consider that it may not have been an overt racist choice, but merely one of expedience. It is not always required that one does things like this because they are evil, sometimes they are thoughtless (not studid), careless or wrong.
So why not give them the benefit of the doubt, until you have a reason to do otherwise?

I mean do you really think they sat down to do this as a means of demeaning someone?
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 13:58   #8
Todd Hawks
Prince

Local Time: 15:52
Re: Racist Undertones in Conquests
Quote:
Originally posted by Metazoa
I would like to hear people's comments on this. Thanks.
My comment would be that I think you are slightly crazy and paranoid. Or are just trying to stir up trouble.
Todd Hawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 14:23   #9
Arrian
PtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamApolyton UniversityC4DG Gathering StormPtWDG2 Cake or Death?
Deity

Quote:
I'm not sure where you got the idea that they skimped on the art to get the game out on time, Arrian? Unless you're referring to the city views which I can count the number of times I've looked at on one hand...
Exactly what I meant. In other words: they didn't waste time perfecting silly little **** that I don't care about. I wasn't in any way complaining.

I too think he's off his rocker, but was trying to say it more politely.

-Arrian

The trick isn't to break some eggs to make an omelette, it's convincing the eggs to break themselves in order to aspire to omelettehood.
Old December 19, 2003, 14:45   #10
G'Kar
Civilization III Democracy Game
Prince

Local Time: 08:52
Metazoa is right, this smacks of the kind of racism that says white is pure and anything else is inferior so it's allright to jumble around the black and brown peoples. It's as if the blacks and browns have no definitive cultures of their own, which is exactly what Europeans thought for a long time.
G'Kar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 14:51   #11
G'Kar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Fried-Psitalon
I sincerely doubt any racism was intended or expressed by the choices made there.
I doubt it was intended also. But racism is so entrentched in the American phyche, it penetrates everything regardless if we're aware of it or not.

Quote:
It's this sort of rampant political correctness rubbish that has me saying "Fireperson" and "policeperson" to my students in class now. :P (Not that I actually DO, mind you.)
It's not politically correct, it's correct period. Shaka was not in Mesoamerica, or do you teach your students that he was? The Zulu and the Iroqs etc. are very different people. Indeed, the Zulu and the Xhosa are very different people.

Let's not go back to "all the mud people look alike".

Get a clue people.
Old December 19, 2003, 14:57   #12
G'Kar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Arrian
I too think he's off his rocker, but was trying to say it more politely.

-Arrian
He's not off his rocker, see above.

Last edited by G'Kar; December 19, 2003 at 15:02.
Old December 19, 2003, 15:37   #13
ducki
C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?Apolyton University
King

Quote:
Originally posted by G'Kar
Metazoa is right, this smacks of the kind of racism that says white is pure and anything else is inferior so it's allright to jumble around the black and brown peoples. It's as if the blacks and browns have no definitive cultures of their own, which is exactly what Europeans thought for a long time.
I have a few choice words for this post, but they'd get filtered.

To the OP: You're being a bit extreme, reactionary, and over-PC. (Another polite way of saying off your rocker.)

To G'Kar: In light of the lengthy descriptions of various civs in the 'pedia and the general attention to detail, your post more off-the-rocker PC tripe. Next you'll say that this is just like the Haitians thing in GTA, which was also daft.

It's a game, folks.
Just a game.
Get over yourselves and start a new game.
Or quit playing this one.
Or get an artist to mod in more accurate leaderheads.
Either way, Civ3 and its expansions are not a political or cultural statement.
It's a game.
Old December 19, 2003, 15:46   #14
Theseus
PtWDG Gathering StormApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of FameBtS Tri-LeagueC4DG Gathering StormApolyCon 06 Participants
Emperor

Location: The warmonger formerly known as rpodos. Gathering Storm!
I think my Warmonger POV is interfering with my understanding of this silly thread and its impact on combat calculations and overall game balance.

In other words, gimme a break.
The greatest delight for man is to inflict defeat on his enemies, to drive them before him, to see those dear to them with their faces bathed in tears, to bestride their horses, to crush in his arms their daughters and wives.

Duas uncias in puncta mortalis est.
Theseus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 15:51   #15
Arrian
Deity

Quote:
Get a clue people.
Pick your battles, people. Seriously, this is 1 scenario in a computer game. A computer game, I might add, made by a design team that flat-out admitted that they didn't totally finish the artwork in the game in order to get it done - they prioritized other things.

So, even if you are right (which I do not necessarily concede, but I don't want to argue it), it's pretty silly to work up moral outrage over this.

-Arrian

Old December 19, 2003, 16:21   #16
Jawa Jocky
Prince

Local Time: 06:52
Quote:
Interesting that you should lump all white people together like we're are all one big culture. Perhaps you see racism in everything because you're racist and just assume everyone else is too.
Jawa Jocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 16:22   #17
Azeem
Prince

I doubt that there were an "racist" intentions (consciously or subconsciously) since all the "white" leaderheads are frightfully ugly as well (just look at "Catherine"). My only gripe with Civ3 when it comes to its ideology is that it emphasizes heavily on the "Modernization Theory" of development, which isn't entirely accurate.
Only by knowing when to stop can we avoid danger." - Lao-zi, the "Dao-de-jing"
Azeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 16:25   #18
G'Kar
Prince

Fair enough Arrian, no moral outrage here. But I do think this move was an unintended slight against non-Europeans.
Old December 19, 2003, 16:26   #19
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 16:52
light up dude
MarkG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 16:28   #20
G'Kar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Jawa Jocky

Interesting that you should lump all white people together like we're are all one big culture. Perhaps you see racism in everything because you're racist and just assume everyone else is too.
To be more specific, I'll say that it was the policy of European nations to treat blacks and browns as though they had little if any history or culture.
Old December 19, 2003, 16:51   #21
pauli
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
light up dude
how bizarre. the official response to a debate about racism is to interject pro-drug use advocacy.

Old December 19, 2003, 17:25   #22
ChrisiusMaximus
Civilization III PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization III Democracy GameC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The HordeC4BtSDG Rabbits of CaerbannogCiv4 SP Democracy GameCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG éirich tuireann
Emperor

Local Time: 15:52
Yes but with the drivvle that the thread starter and his main supporter in this thread has spurned, one would presume they had already taken that course of action.

Metazoa and G'Kar get a life!!
A proud member of the "Apolyton Story Writers Guild".There are many great stories at the Civ 3 stories forum, do yourself a favour and visit the forum. Lose yourself in one of many epic tales and be inspired to write yourself, as I was.
ChrisiusMaximus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 17:42   #23
smellymummy
King

Local Time: 06:52
i havent played the mesoamerica scenario yet, although from the list of civs listed (iroquois, zulu, mongols, any other?) i think they are the most appropriate short of having to make new leaderheads.

btw, isnt the francis I leaderhead in age of discovery custom made for that scenario? if so.... then perhaps firaxis could of made a couple of extra american indian leaderheads
smellymummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 18:00   #24
kring
Civilization III Democracy GameCivilization III PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerNationStatesCTP2 Source Code ProjectApolyton UniversityCivilization IV Creators
King

Quote:
Originally posted by smellymummy
i havent played the mesoamerica scenario yet, although from the list of civs listed (iroquois, zulu, mongols, any other?) i think they are the most appropriate short of having to make new leaderheads.

btw, isnt the francis I leaderhead in age of discovery custom made for that scenario? if so.... then perhaps firaxis could of made a couple of extra american indian leaderheads
I m not at my Conquests computer, but I believe that leaderhead is the Austrian leaderhead, which is the bonus "32nd" civ.
kring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 18:12   #25
Vlad Antlerkov
King

I object the way the Sengoku scenario represents Japanese as circles, squiggly lines, and other symbols.
Vlad Antlerkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 19:53   #26
vmxa1
PtWDG Gathering StormC4DG Gathering Storm
Deity

I wonder if what some are tring to say is that the world has lots of ugly things in it and we would just as soon not deal with when talking about our games. We must faces them most of th time, but how about you lets have a little down time when we play or talk about games?
vmxa1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19, 2003, 21:15   #27
Jeem
Warlord

Quote:

To be more specific, I'll say that it was the policy of European nations to treat blacks and browns as though they had little if any history or culture.
Then again, we tend to integrate and assimilate other races rather than treating blacks and browns as a seperate entity in our 'culture' nowadays. Perhaps our longer history of dealing with other cultures has led us to this end, whereas the US in it's relative infancy has still to realise the benefits?

Anyway, I object to the plainly off-white-yellowish-bronzed look of Cleo in Civ3. It's obvious Firaxis are Nazis who hate anyone who gets decent levels of sunshine for more than 2 months of the year.

Get a grip.
Jeem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2003, 02:46   #28
Kull
lifer
King

Local Time: 07:52
Troll
Kull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2003, 02:49   #29
Vince278
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MarkG
light up dude
That pretty much goes for everyone. This is Civ. Its not like trying to conquer the world is politically correct either. I see political correctness in general as an attempt by some to impose their views upon others.
"And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
"Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
2004 Presidential Candidate
2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)
Vince278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20, 2003, 03:24   #30
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 07:52
Quote:
Anyway, I object to the plainly off-white-yellowish-bronzed look of Cleo in Civ3. It's obvious Firaxis are Nazis who hate anyone who gets decent levels of sunshine for more than 2 months of the year.

Get a grip.
CLUELESS!!
Alright, forget the "politically-correct"!
Your total IGNORANCE* with the "air" of knowledge has gotten disgusting!

Who conquered Egypt in the time of Alexander the Great? Who were the ruling class of Egypt during Cleo's time? Do some RESEARCH! (Hint: it had some tinge of Grecean formula to it).

* (1) I have read enough of Jeem's posts to put him on ignore. Why didn't I ignore this one! (2) If this had been CFC, I would probably get a couple days "vacation".
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.

Last edited by Jaybe; December 20, 2003 at 03:29.
Jaybe is offline   Reply With Quote